September 2, 2014 | 1456 users online

Hair Treatments - LUSH - Henna-Caca Brun

rated 4 of 5 on 6/1/2014 4:06:00 PM More reviews by arisibelle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

I purchased my full-length review on LUSH.com. The short version is that this product is decent. I screwed up the first time & didn't let it sit long enough and didn't cover all my hair, so I had a blonde "halo" while the rest of my hair was a really nice brown. It actually managed to match my roots to the rest of my hair, which is seriously impressive. I just cover the block in boiled water & let it melt itself down. The smell is awful but it's not that messy if you get someone to help you. Just make sure you use LOTS of plastic bags and gloves. The henna is expensive at $30 after tax where I live. But overall it's a great product if used correctly.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/11/2014 1:33:00 PM More reviews by loumoox

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I had recently decided I did not want to put chemicals on my hair every month. I've been going grey since I was 12 and have experimented with every colour under the sun. My hair needed better condition. I did a fair amount of research before decided on cavalry brun lush henna. My hair was a ash dark brown/black. The application - You need to be repaired... This is messy... I covered my bathroom with towels, put cling film and vaseline on my ears and forehead and made up the henna. First time I used two and a half blocks cut up roughly and heated in a glass bowl over a saucepan of water. I added coffee and white wine vinegar. The reviews I had read mentioned this would both tone down the red and help cover grey hairs. After about 20 minutes it was a thick green goo. I didn't mind the smell too much. I took the bowl to the bathroom and put it in a sink of hot water to keep warm. I attempted to use my colouring brush but soon went for grabbing handfuls and just rubbing it onto my head and scalp. Make sure you use the gloves! It went on ok... A few clumps dropped onto the towels and the sink but to be fair after I had wrapped my hair in cling film and added a towel it took no time at all to tidy up. I left it on for five hours and went about my day. When I washed it off I'll admit it took ages, it splashed everywhere in the shower. I used a cheap conditioner to remove the sand like texture to my scalp. Again it cleaned up easierly. Results - beautiful shiny conditioned hair, the greys went a dark blonde colour but have blended. The tone of the rest of my hair is much warmer. I thought my hair looked thicker and longer (suspect this is due to the henna covering the hair shaft). I redid the process to see if I could get a better coverage on the blonde roots (second time went much easier as I knew what to expect and I left it on overnight) the only change I made was I didn't cut up the henna, I put whole blocks in the bowl over the water - this took slightly longer to melt down but didn't feel as sandy as the previous application even though I made it to the same thickness (thick double cream). My greys are still not colour matched to the rest but I will concede they look more natural. I have had sooo many comments on how shiny and healthy my hair looks. I plan on purchasing the black and the red henna on payday and mixing them to see if I can cover the greys better. I am a henna convert. It's harder work but the results are worth the extra effort. Plus the melting the block of henna makes me feel like a crazy alchemist. Considering I spend £8.50 on enough henna for three applications means this is a money saving product for me. Now I need to find the perfect combination to zap the last of my stubborn greys and I shall be very happy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/3/2014 9:36:00 PM More reviews by sthompson0109

I was recently advised not to put any more chemicals in my hair to colour it. I've damaged my hair to where I needed to cut about 3 inches off, it looked unhealthy, and I was getting comments from friends and family on how damaged my hair looked.
This is what brought me to henna. This was my first time trying henna for hair dye, and I was really excited in that it both deep conditioned, and coloured your hair. After having a disaster of a first attempt at melting caca rouge in a non heat resistant glass bowl, I went out to buy caca brun.
It was messy of course, but didn't smell that bad. I was careful to wear gloves and use some ointment around my hairline, ears and neck so that I wouldn't stain my hands, so it wasn't terribly messy. I also needed to put A LOT of paper down in the bathroom. Little chunks of henna flew all over my bathroom.
It wasn't that hard to apply to be honest. I let it sit for maybe 2.5 hours, I did cover my hair in plastic wrap, a plastic bag and an old t-shirt.
The colour is AMAZING, I know that it will take a few days for the colour to really enhance but I love how it looks now. I didn't get full root coverage of the red that I had previously in my hair, but it just looks a little auburn.
But my hair is softer, shinier, and just feels healthier. It's even kept the curl that I put in it, so it definitely seems healthier.
I would recommend this product to other's, as well as continue to use it for future dyes, unless of course I find better henna (this was my first try at henna hair dye).

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I really, really like this for my dark brown hair. I've stopped using traditional color and am using this to even out the weird pseudo-ombre between my strawberry blond ends and my dark brown roots and it really works. Color is nice and uniform and with an incredible shine. Took off a lippie for the smell and the cleanup but neither bother me enough to sacrifice my new healthier, one-color hair. ;) You need to use way more than the website tells you - though my hair is shoulder-length, it's incredibly thick and I needed the whole expensive brick to cover everything.

The price is nuts for something you have to clean your shower after using, but it's a quarter as expensive as my normal salon process so I can't really complain. But I do really wish it were cheaper.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2013 1:28:00 AM More reviews by ellie8811

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this use it everyone month. My hair is a very dark brown/black anyway so this just makes it more dark and give it shine. Yes it can be messy but I usually grate it the night before. Then in morning apply and get on with my day. By the afternoon I'm ready to rinse it out. I buy a very cheap conditioner for about £1 and use most of the bottle rinsing it out. Then I deep condition and I'm done. The smell for me is pleasant to begin with (herbal) then becomes nauseating. When it starts getting too much I put a couple of disposable shower caps on and that usually keeps the smell from lingering.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Michelewing2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Definitely not! I had it on for 2 half hours and it didnt work at all. The smell was awful. Then 3 hours later I felt really nauseous with the taste of it in my mouth. Plus I had a red rash on my scalp!,..?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by zerp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

MY HAIR : Virgin black asian hair is fine, not too thin/thick. My ends are chemically dyed (previously bleached) and were a light brown (orangey tone, ew).

SMELL : I really don't mind the smell, it smells like.. herbal medicine/weed/that korean chal ddeok snack (green squishy squares). In fact I actually kinda liked it

AFTER HENNA'ING : My black hair has a dark brown sheen to it indoors - I was surprised because I didn't think it would do much to my black hair at all. Well it didn't do that much, it's the kind of difference that only you notice on yourself. I'm waiting for the sun to come out so I can see it outside. My orange light brown ends turned into a dark chocolately brown, which I am henna'ing again right now (I'll update when I'm done.)

OVERALL: I liked it. Process can be messy yea, but take a day off and take your time, give yourself a little spa day and it will be fun. I'll update in a few months to talk about whether or not it was permanent in my hair.

MY PROCESS: Used 2 blocks but I should have used 3 (hair comes down to right under my boobs). Used a cheese grater at first then got tired and just chopped it up with a metal knife. Put the powder in glass tupperware, which I put in a metal mixing bowl with hot water in it (tupperware floats around in it) to keep it warm. Mixed it until yogurty. Applied vaseline to hairline, ears, and neck area. Put newspapers on my bathroom floor, put the bowl in the sink, leaned over my sink and applied it to my hair in sections, starting from the bottom to the top. During application the henna starts to dry and flake off to the floor. If I get it on my cheek or my wall i just have some rags nearby to wipe it off, it wipes off fine and doesn't stain (this stuff takes time to stain things). By the end of application I look like I have dreadlocks, pretty cool. I loosely bring it up to the top of the head and make a rough bun and put an elastic around it. I wrap saran wrap tightly all around my head. I do stuff and take a nap. 6 hours later I jump into the shower and rinse, i take little sections of my hair and rub it down. Takes about 10 minutes, wasn't too bad, nothing in my shower stained because all the water just washed it down. I use some conditioner and rub it in like shampoo because I read that it helps rinse it out. Hair feels buttery and oily but I don't shampoo it because I'm not going out the next day anyways.
Next day I notice I missed a thin section at my ends, and my ends are not as dark as I wanted them to be (I don't like the ombre look). They're a chocolatey medium-brown now. I chop up half a block of henna and apply it to just my ends (this is much easier and cleaner than doing the whole head). I have it in my ends right now and will just do the same thing and rinse it out in the shower later.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Eliengo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After reading a lot about henna hair dye I decided to give it a try. I always used chemical hair dye so I wanted to try something else. I was expecting a long and messy process, but honestly I was surprised! It took me about 10 minutes to melt the blocks down, I used 2 blocks of brun and 1 marron. Putting it on my head took about 10 minutes (or less), you need to be sure to cover all of your hair and that's a bit difficult with the consistency. Of course I had to clean my sink, and clean my floor a little bit... But I don't think it's a very messy procedure. I didn't hate the smell either. I waited 4 hours, and rinsed it out. Washing it out takes quite some time. After that my hair felt soft, looked shiny... It looks even longer haha! The henna scent in my hair is really subtle, almost didn't notice it.

Next time I will leave it on longer, and put more marron in it. Now my hair color is almost the same as it was, but more vivid.

You should give it a try! I really love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by Cpdang

This henna did absolutely nothing to my hair. I wasn't expecting anything phenomenal either, I had natural black fine hair which was chemically dyed brunette 6 months ago. I was tired of the chemicals so wanted to try something natural. Picked up this henna, spent my whole day cooking it up and had my roommate put it on for me. I left it on for 4 hours, rinsing was such a pain in the bum, it smells like weed, which I didn't mind much. But the result was bad, my new black root was still there, and my caramel highlights were still there, nothing changed. Waste of money and time.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2013 3:32:00 PM More reviews by HaNNieSvedje

I tried this because I wanted to dye my virgin hair, but I didn't want to damage it with chemicals. The process was EXTREMELY messy and such a pain, it went EVERYWHERE! I had to leave it on for 5 hours.. When I rinsed it out (with great difficulty), my hair had an orangey tint in the light. My hair wasn't much shinier though. I think maybe I used the wrong colour, because I wanted more of an effect. I've now bought caca marron and will try that one out.