April 17, 2014 | 1419 users online

Treatments - LUSH - Henna-Caca Brun

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/10/2014 6:13:00 PM More reviews by kmichael

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

I really, really like this for my dark brown hair. I've stopped using traditional color and am using this to even out the weird pseudo-ombre between my strawberry blond ends and my dark brown roots and it really works. Color is nice and uniform and with an incredible shine. Took off a lippie for the smell and the cleanup but neither bother me enough to sacrifice my new healthier, one-color hair. ;) You need to use way more than the website tells you - though my hair is shoulder-length, it's incredibly thick and I needed the whole expensive brick to cover everything.

The price is nuts for something you have to clean your shower after using, but it's a quarter as expensive as my normal salon process so I can't really complain. But I do really wish it were cheaper.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2013 1:28:00 AM More reviews by ellie8811

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Love this use it everyone month. My hair is a very dark brown/black anyway so this just makes it more dark and give it shine. Yes it can be messy but I usually grate it the night before. Then in morning apply and get on with my day. By the afternoon I'm ready to rinse it out. I buy a very cheap conditioner for about £1 and use most of the bottle rinsing it out. Then I deep condition and I'm done. The smell for me is pleasant to begin with (herbal) then becomes nauseating. When it starts getting too much I put a couple of disposable shower caps on and that usually keeps the smell from lingering.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/21/2013 1:16:00 PM More reviews by Michelewing2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Definitely not! I had it on for 2 half hours and it didnt work at all. The smell was awful. Then 3 hours later I felt really nauseous with the taste of it in my mouth. Plus I had a red rash on my scalp!,..?

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 3:38:00 PM More reviews by zerp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Black

MY HAIR : Virgin black asian hair is fine, not too thin/thick. My ends are chemically dyed (previously bleached) and were a light brown (orangey tone, ew).

SMELL : I really don't mind the smell, it smells like.. herbal medicine/weed/that korean chal ddeok snack (green squishy squares). In fact I actually kinda liked it

AFTER HENNA'ING : My black hair has a dark brown sheen to it indoors - I was surprised because I didn't think it would do much to my black hair at all. Well it didn't do that much, it's the kind of difference that only you notice on yourself. I'm waiting for the sun to come out so I can see it outside. My orange light brown ends turned into a dark chocolately brown, which I am henna'ing again right now (I'll update when I'm done.)

OVERALL: I liked it. Process can be messy yea, but take a day off and take your time, give yourself a little spa day and it will be fun. I'll update in a few months to talk about whether or not it was permanent in my hair.

MY PROCESS: Used 2 blocks but I should have used 3 (hair comes down to right under my boobs). Used a cheese grater at first then got tired and just chopped it up with a metal knife. Put the powder in glass tupperware, which I put in a metal mixing bowl with hot water in it (tupperware floats around in it) to keep it warm. Mixed it until yogurty. Applied vaseline to hairline, ears, and neck area. Put newspapers on my bathroom floor, put the bowl in the sink, leaned over my sink and applied it to my hair in sections, starting from the bottom to the top. During application the henna starts to dry and flake off to the floor. If I get it on my cheek or my wall i just have some rags nearby to wipe it off, it wipes off fine and doesn't stain (this stuff takes time to stain things). By the end of application I look like I have dreadlocks, pretty cool. I loosely bring it up to the top of the head and make a rough bun and put an elastic around it. I wrap saran wrap tightly all around my head. I do stuff and take a nap. 6 hours later I jump into the shower and rinse, i take little sections of my hair and rub it down. Takes about 10 minutes, wasn't too bad, nothing in my shower stained because all the water just washed it down. I use some conditioner and rub it in like shampoo because I read that it helps rinse it out. Hair feels buttery and oily but I don't shampoo it because I'm not going out the next day anyways.
Next day I notice I missed a thin section at my ends, and my ends are not as dark as I wanted them to be (I don't like the ombre look). They're a chocolatey medium-brown now. I chop up half a block of henna and apply it to just my ends (this is much easier and cleaner than doing the whole head). I have it in my ends right now and will just do the same thing and rinse it out in the shower later.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/14/2013 2:53:00 AM More reviews by Eliengo

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

After reading a lot about henna hair dye I decided to give it a try. I always used chemical hair dye so I wanted to try something else. I was expecting a long and messy process, but honestly I was surprised! It took me about 10 minutes to melt the blocks down, I used 2 blocks of brun and 1 marron. Putting it on my head took about 10 minutes (or less), you need to be sure to cover all of your hair and that's a bit difficult with the consistency. Of course I had to clean my sink, and clean my floor a little bit... But I don't think it's a very messy procedure. I didn't hate the smell either. I waited 4 hours, and rinsed it out. Washing it out takes quite some time. After that my hair felt soft, looked shiny... It looks even longer haha! The henna scent in my hair is really subtle, almost didn't notice it.

Next time I will leave it on longer, and put more marron in it. Now my hair color is almost the same as it was, but more vivid.

You should give it a try! I really love it!

rated 1 of 5 on 4/19/2013 3:16:00 PM More reviews by Cpdang

This henna did absolutely nothing to my hair. I wasn't expecting anything phenomenal either, I had natural black fine hair which was chemically dyed brunette 6 months ago. I was tired of the chemicals so wanted to try something natural. Picked up this henna, spent my whole day cooking it up and had my roommate put it on for me. I left it on for 4 hours, rinsing was such a pain in the bum, it smells like weed, which I didn't mind much. But the result was bad, my new black root was still there, and my caramel highlights were still there, nothing changed. Waste of money and time.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/17/2013 3:32:00 PM More reviews by HaNNieSvedje

I tried this because I wanted to dye my virgin hair, but I didn't want to damage it with chemicals. The process was EXTREMELY messy and such a pain, it went EVERYWHERE! I had to leave it on for 5 hours.. When I rinsed it out (with great difficulty), my hair had an orangey tint in the light. My hair wasn't much shinier though. I think maybe I used the wrong colour, because I wanted more of an effect. I've now bought caca marron and will try that one out.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/1/2013 5:11:00 PM More reviews by jaydensmama

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Love this!! I have been wanting to dye my hair since forever, but every time I do...disaster!!! I have been wanting to try henna but am not at all confident in my mixing/recipe ability. When I found out LUSH had these bars (caca..really?) I went out and got one. I dyed my hair the next day.

I crushed 2 bars up in a plastic bag, dumped it in a plastic bowl (don't use metal, I've heard...same for utensils) and added hot water a little at a time until I got a brownie like consistency. Then I got to work. I had put trash bags and newspaper all over my bathroom to catch drips and so forth, but guess what? I didn't drip any. At all! I was shocked. The longer you leave in on, the better. 2 hours is NOT going to cut it in most cases. I left it on about 6 hours or so while I piddled around the house. I rinsed it off with warm water and cheapie conditioner and after I blow dried my hair, I was in love! My light ash brown hair was now darker with auburn you can see in the sun/light. It was also super moisturized. I love it!! I will definitely be doing it again! The smell may turn some off, but I love it. It smells grassy.

I have uploaded 2 pics, one before, one after. After was taken with a flash...2 months later LOL

rated 3 of 5 on 2/17/2013 10:19:00 PM More reviews by timbit156

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have brown hair and wanted to try the product to make my hair deeper brown and more shiney. It did make my hair noticeably darker, so i was happy to see a color change. However, the smell was horrible, and stayed on my hair for days. The color also faded back to my natural hair color over the following days. I will not be repurchasing the product, mostly because of the strong, unpleasant smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 6:09:00 PM More reviews by csjune

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

**Edit: I uploaded the before after picture with short wavy hair, outside**
*I also uploaded my review to the CACA Noir page too.

I stopped dying my hair over two years ago once I realized it was falling out! I still had the occasional urge to darken my hair, though, as I think chocolate brown suits me better.... but I refrained from doing so because of the horrible image I had of clumps of hair falling out in the shower. *ahh!* It was then I decided to stop putting those horrible chemicals in my hair once and for all.
I began looking up alternative methods that were natural and safe for dying your hair. I found out about henna, but really wasn't up to buying my own mixes and experimenting with something so permanent. Do I use more indigo than henna or visa versa? Do i cover my head or not? How long? How often, etc etc.
So fast forward to about two months ago I found out about LUSH's Caca colors. (Lol @ silly name) Holy crap this stuff is perfect for those out there looking to change up your color in a chemical free manner! Beware though: patience and getting your hands dirty (or wear gloves) is required.
I give this product a 4 because it's exactly what I was looking for: a prepackaged henna/indigo hair dying product. However, it is expensive (but then again, with my short hair it'll last me a solid 3 dyes, so I basically pay 8$ per dye) and because I don't understand why they dont just package it already grated. The packaging itself is eco-friendly and minimal. I uploaded a before and after picture for everyone. (I have the short, wavy hair).
Here's my process for getting a dark chocolate brown hair with neutral undertones:
Prepping:
1. First, wear gloves!!! and if you are messy, cover the counters with paper/foil/whatever. Actually, even if you're not messy... cover everything anyway.
2. Using large hair clips, split hair into a few sections.
3. Apply Vaseline around forehead/ears/back of neck to stop Caca from staining your skin.
4. Brew 1-2 cups of BOLD, black coffee.
5. Grate 2 blocks (1/3 of the bar) of Caca NOIR & 1 Block (1/6th) of Caca BRUN with a cheese grater into a large glass bowl.
6. Mix the fresh cup of coffe into the finely grated Caca, stir until a pasty, yogurt consistency is met.
Application:
1. Wearing gloves I dip my fingers into the Caca yogurt (which smell very herbal, looks like poo) and apply to the lower/bottom part of my hair first. Make sure you massage the goop into all of your hair (working from the bottom, up). Don't be conservative here. Keep adding the Caca until your whole head is covered.
3. I then wrap in saran wrap and wrap in tin foil on top of that (to keep my head warm) and leave on for 4 HOURS.
Rinsing:
Honestly, this is the most tedious part, if you have a removable shower head be prepared to use that for a solid 10 minutes of just RINSING. Then add conditioner, rinse, conditioner, rinse, shampoo, rinse, shampoo rinse. If you don't, I think someone recommended using a hose outside- that's probably a good idea.
My hair felt thicker after I was done, but I cant comment on the softness... my hair is already soft, plus the amount of conditioner I used during the rinsing process probably had something to do with it.
Anyway, good luck! I think if you dont mind the time, and you want a natural, safe alternative to harsh chemical hair dyes, this is the stuff for you!

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No