August 21, 2014 | 1142 users online

Mascara - Almay - intense i-color volumizing mascara - purple amethyst

rated 4 of 5 on 6/8/2012 9:41:00 PM More reviews by XpugsX

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I agree that this mascara can be clumpy on application, but if you apply it carefully, the results can be really amazing. I purchased this expecting it to have a genuine purply colour that would accentuate my blue eyes a little bit. It definitely does not have a strong or even subdued shade of purple to it. However it is flattering and is more of a very dark brown shade that would suit most people. Once I got used to applying it, I apply 3 coats in quick succession using the toothbrush type swiping sideways method. You have to do it lightly though or you are going to get massive clumping. If you do it gently, you will get the longest lashes you have ever seen! Once applied, it does not move. It doesn't smudge, smear or flake. I think it's a really high quality product, but it is definitely tricky to apply.

rated 3 of 5 on 4/9/2012 5:52:00 PM More reviews by HotWolfie

I loved the color -- came out more like a warm brown on my lashes. It really pops! For lengthening, this did a wonderful job. I had mile long lashes! For thickening, I'd give it a medium rating. I already have long and thick lashes so this wasn't a big deal for me. It also made my lashes stick together so I needed to use an eyelash comb. Otherwise, I liked this for a change. I'm still sticking with my CG though!

rated 2 of 5 on 8/9/2011 1:13:00 PM More reviews by Callista93

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

First I'll preface this review with my eyelash situation. I have to take Lumigan for glaucoma, which makes my eyes very red, itchy, and irritated (I honestly can't believe anyone would use the stuff for cosmetic purposes, but that's another story) exacerbated by my allergies. Most eye make-up stings my eyes, so I tried this Almay because it's supposed to be gentle. Oh, and although Lumigan has made my lashes very long, they are still very pale, so I still want mascara to make them noticeable.

I bought the amethyst because I usually wear purple eyeliner and plum shades of eye shadow to bring out my brown eyes. The color is nice, and it is very gentle, not stinging or anything. It also comes off easily, with Cetaphil and no rubbing. Those are the good points.

Negative points: so so clumpy. The bristles are very short, and just pick up gobs of mascara in the tube. Even after wiping the tube off with tissue, it still leaves clumps I have to brush off with an old spoolie. By the time the clumps are off, I don't have very much mascara left on my lashes. It is such a pain to put on, and doesn't make lashes look thicker unless you leave the clumps in, so all-in-all a pretty bleh product. The only reason I gave it 2 stars is because it didn't irritate my eyes and came off easy, other than that it was pretty worthless.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/17/2011 11:29:00 AM More reviews by WildflowerRuby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Fine Eyes: Other

I give it an overall rating of 4 because the mascara works very well for me. My eyelashes are fairly long, but I need some more volume and curl. I love the purple color, which doesn't show up on my dark eyelashes a lot, but the very sheer purple tint brings out the brown nicer, slightly different than a black mascara would. It applies smoothly, and it has minimal clumping. I like the brush, which is kind of edgy, flexible, and rubbery. It's not too-too expensive, sort of in the middle. It also gives my eyelashes a nice defined look. The packaging is nice, and if I remember correctly, it was even recyclable (huge plus).
Overall, yes, I'd buy this again. :)

rated 4 of 5 on 4/11/2011 6:42:00 PM More reviews by nikkivel

This is the perfect base mascara. I use this before I use Dior Black-Out or any other dramatic mascara. Or I use this on a relax day for a more natural look. I have bought this product many times and always will.

rated 1 of 5 on 3/22/2011 1:18:00 PM More reviews by jinxmainstream

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wanted a purple mascara, so my mom got me this. For the purpose of the color, this one SUCKS for dark lashes. For just an everyday use it works, gets the job done, but doesn't make my brown eyes pop anymore than using a brown mascara. Doesn't add much to volume either.

the wand is a spiral of old school bristle fibers. looks like this [kinda]
(/-(/-(/-(/-(/------------------[__________]
Wand ........... Handle

Smell is fine, nothing noticable and fades.

All-in-all... Just average

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 11/17/2010 5:10:00 PM More reviews by three_black_cats

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

All in all, this is a very basic mascara. Sure, it has a purple hue, which according to Almay will highlight your brown eyes. But it's nothing amazing.

The purple tone is subtle. I noticed it when applying it, but even my most observant co-worker (who will notice if I'm wearing even a hint of eyeliner or lipstick) didn't notice the purple hued mascara. That could be a good thing if you want things subtle, or a bad thing if you want a more dramatic look.

This didn't clump any more than any other mascara. It also didn't build any more length or volume than any other mascara. All in all, I'd say it was just so-so. Not the best mascara ever, but certainly far from the worst. I still felt like it gave me the little something extra when used as an addition to my every day subtle makeup. It is a nice change from regular brown or black mascara for the days when I'm wanting something with a subtle difference, but it didn't change my life or rock my world.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/5/2010 11:20:00 PM More reviews by iamachristianjesusfreak

I love this color and think it is a great product. Never clumps on my lashes! :)

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2010 5:01:00 PM More reviews by amyang

My overall experience with this mascara was ok. I liked it, but not enough to buy it again. It was really inexpensive (about $6.00) and i liked that it was formulated for brown eyes and hypo allergenic. I initially bought it because i wanted somethings safe/gentle for my eyes. But i think in the future, ill try other organic make up mascaras.

Pros: if youre looking for a cheap, regular mascara that is easy to take off at the end of the day, then this product would be great. It does volumize and thicken, lengthen a little. the Purple color formula is nothing dramatic or not crazy purple, still looks natural. It doesnt flake or smudge from my experience. Buildable

Cons: The formula drys wet, not crisp so it may be hard to hold a curl. It sometimes clumps my lashes together too much.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2010 9:40:00 PM More reviews by Parchipexx

I initially bought this mascara because I have brown eyes and have the rest of the "Bring out/Play up" the brown collection (eyeshadows and liners) from Almay. I do like the color, it's subtle but very pretty, and coordinates with my purple glasses :) It did lengthened my lashes quite a bit and added some noticable volume to them, and I loved both of these effects! However, this mascara tends to clump a lot. Sometimes when I put it on it looks like I have, like, three eyelashes and it's a real pain to try and separate them. It also has a gooey, almost glue-like consistency that feels quite sticky and irritating after awhile. I may not buy it again because of these factors.