July 25, 2014 | 1811 users online

Makeup Brushes - Paula Dorf - Cheek Cream Brush

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/4/2009 8:58:00 AM More reviews by gna

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I've had this brush for years. It's THE brush for cream & gel-type blushes. I love the angle head, as I contour with blushes. I never apply blush just on apples. Makes blushes look fabulous on bare skin. Don't wear foundation, concealer, powder, so don't know how it would work with layers of MU. Tried MAC and all other recommended brushes, but this is the best for my purposes.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/20/2008 2:45:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

It's a sturdy, aesthetically-pleasing, high-quality brush, as is typical of Paula Dorf's line, but it's no miracle. I like the shape and size of the head and the angled cut of the bristles--these make it easy to apply cream blush to the precise apples of your cheeks. The bristles are also very dense and smooth, preventing this from leaving little brush marks on your face and diffuses the color nicely if you use a light touch when blending.

However, unlike other reviewers, I did find that this moved my base and concealer around (Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer and Secret Camouflage) so that I'd have to touch up again after applying blush. I ended up putting this brush on my swaplist.

My fool-proof method of applying cream blush these days is to press the pads of my fingertips onto the blush, gently rub my fingers together to warm up the product, then gently, lightly, quickly tap my fingers onto the apples of my cheeks. If I want to blend more, I gently press the palms of my hands to my cheeks or buff my cheeks a little with the MAC #187 brush. continued >>

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 7/31/2008 3:53:00 AM More reviews by MerelyGod

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, because everyone else seems to love this brush, but I don't like it. I much prefer my MAC #168, which is a similar shape but fluffier. I never feel like I get quite the right amount of blush with this brush and it takes a lot of blending after I apply it. With my #168, I only have to do minimal blending.

That said, I rarely use this brush and would definitely not repurchase (in fact, wish I had not purchased it the first time). The quality is fine though.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2007 8:33:00 AM More reviews by karrie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

fantastic brush. i don't have a better cream blush brush in my arsenal. top quality!! applies paulas cream blush perfectly!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/17/2006 3:23:00 AM More reviews by Shavwi

I LOVE this brush. I always hated cream blush because it looked awful when I used my fingers to apply it. After buying this, I actually get complimetns on my cream blush al teh time. It is teh perfect shape for your cheekbone. Just get some product on the brush, drag it across your cheekbone adn blend a bit. So far I ahve used it with my MAC blushcremes, MAC Cream Color Bases, and NARS cream blushes and it works perfectly with all. Very expensive, but I would absolutely purchase again. I highly reccoment this.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/20/2005 3:46:00 AM More reviews by wombat

Do I like it? Will I repurchase? Yes I have 4 of these brushes...that's right...four..

They are very pricey, but well worth it if:
1) You are a regular cream blush user
2) You hate smearing around cream blushers on your face with your fingers
3) You'd like to apply cream blushers over your powder or cream/liquid foundations without ruining the carefully applied base.
4) You have a pretty big cream blush collection (I have about over 25, see my profile pics for the different types. They range from tarte cheek stains, Paula Dorf cheek color creams, Armani, Nars multiples, Stila mousse or CCs, Anna Sui..This brush suits them all. If you only have a few cream blushes this is not very economical.
5) You have flushed cheeks and any slightly messy application will make your face look messy.
6) You have excess budget to afford $35USD or so on this brush. This is not a must, but a good handy one for blush fanatics.
7) You want perfect, precision blush/bronzer application to suit your face shape, for contouring or for blush purposes.

I'm probably all of the above, that's why I have 4 brushes (even though the cream blushes comes off easily if you swipe on tissue a few times after using, but I just prefer having 1 brush for each of my most regular cream blushes).

The brush features a silver handle with black metal wrapping connecting the slightly slanted orange taklon bristles and the handle. It's sturdy, not most beautiful but I only keep these at home so that doesn't bother me. The bristles are densely packed, must thicker than normal foundation brushes. There is also an engraving on the back of handle with patent number.

Ok, so what's so special about this brush: I have flushed cheeks and the apples of my cheeks are relatively low compared to cheekbone, which if I rub blush on apple + cheek area, means I get a huge blob of red on the face and makes my face look huge with two protruding red patch. This brush defines the perfect shape for blusher application One stroke along cheekbone, then another stroke below the first stroke gives the perfect area, without smearing your foundation. (I can now apply cream blush before or after my TM, liquid/cream or powder foundations). It also solves the problem of a lot of cream blushers being too pigmented or too sticky (tarte cheekstains!), it diffuses the color so beautifully and naturally. With fingers, no matter how much blending it's easy to get the strip or blotchiness happening. This brush solves those problems, of course you don't just paint two stripes on the face with the brush, but you can also blend lightly with this brush just by swiping it back and forth very gently on the exact area you want.

These are especially, absolutely perfect for paula dorf cheek color creams (bytheway, I think they got the best consistency in the world of cream blushers).
Pic in my profile. continued >>

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2005 1:26:00 PM More reviews by sugarbomb

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I read all the positive reviews on here, and had to have this brush, so I swapped for it. I like it fairly well--it seems to distribute cream blush in a way that my fingers don't. It also works well with gel blush in stick form--Tarte's Flush looks especially nice applied with this brush. However, Im not sure that it works better than fingers, just differently, so for $35 I probably wouldn't repurchase.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/11/2005 1:14:00 AM More reviews by julia178

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

Great brush for cream blushes. At $35 not cheap, but IMHO worth every penny. An absolutely essential tool for me, I just bought a second one for travel.
Applies Paula Dorf's Cheek Cream blushes like a dream, I wouldn't want to miss it. Have used mine daily for over 1 1/2 years, I washed it after each use, and it still looks like brand new, very high quality taklon bristles.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/9/2005 5:53:00 PM More reviews by Kate_NS

You have NO idea what this cost in Cdn$!! but i had to have/try. Unfortunately, I just couldn't get it to work for me! because of the 'drag' of many cheek produts, the brush just felt un-natural and didn't seem to blend as seamlessly as I would have liked! Now I'm not knockin' the brush in-and-of-itself: it is an exceptionally well made and beautifully balanced brush with firm yet pliable bristles. For someone who lives with cream blushes and has tried (and mastered) cheaper versions of the cream blush brush, this would be a coveted treasure! I personally prefer the larger, flatter head of the Becca Creme Blush Brush.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/19/2005 5:50:00 PM More reviews by delhi

How did I live without this for so long? I fell in love with Paul Dorf's cream blushes after I found out that it's the blush used by many celebs. ex. SJP wore "playmate" on SATC. Gywenth Paltrow, Jennifer Aniston and Courtney Cox all wear "Candy Apple", etc. Anyway after finding my HG blush I also purchased the PD cream blush brush, and i'm so glad I did. Makes appication a breeze, goes on perfectly and also no breakouts due to rubbing your fingers into your cheeks to get your cream blush to blend perfectly. This brush does it for you. It's so great I purchased TWO!