December 22, 2014 | 1863 users online

Fragrances - Shiseido - inoui

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/16/2012 5:08:00 AM More reviews by hadas

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is very similar to the original version of Aliage by Estee Lauder. Similar listed notes, and profoundly similar in scent. I don't really find it that impressive or compelling, and the prices it fetches nowadays are cuh-razy. Crazy!!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/8/2011 7:46:00 AM More reviews by Aurumgirl

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Inoui! Is this fragrance actually back? This was my number one fragrance in the 80's, and I wish Shiseido would bring it back (along with the original Zen, which I still wear. Sparingly. So I can put off running out.)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/8/2011 7:39:00 AM More reviews by chrystelica

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Other, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

This is very similar in style to Zen in the white bottle from 2000, but much more beautiful. It has that lovely velvety texture that Shiseido perfumes do, like an elixir they added liquid gelatin to, so that it comes on softly, without the alcoholic blast that most French perfumes use. Inoui, like most Japanese perfumes, is the kind of beauty that nonchalantly, unconsciously hits you in the face or rather, punches you in the gut but keeps on walking, yes, never losing his/her cool, never even being fully aware of the effect they had on you. If you told them they would probably not respond or show you the list. I certainly know what that's all about...

OK, on to the actual scent. Initially, and I emphasize, only at first do I get this quality of galbanum, thyme, and grassy pine sap. The green only makes its appearance in the first initial whiff of top notes, and suddenly, as if it is swirling green and yellow upon application, the yellow dominates completely in one wallop and I get a whole load of warmth unfolding.... which I actually have mixed feelings about.

The mid-notes (which appear immediately on my skin) are warm in the coolest, most detached way possible, very linear, and the feeling the jasmine & pine combination evokes through their combination at this point is like Jamaican ginger beer, these two notes create a warm, fizzy ginger scent on my skin. It smells almost like candied ginger with a sweet, piney, sappy jasmine overlay. The warm feeling at this stage is a lovely, deep, if bizarre ginger-like scent with an underscore of something I don't completely like-- cumin!

I think it's the cedar I'm smelling here, because cumin is not listed in the notes, but sure as day, I smell just slightly like a (and excuse me for I know this is offensive) a Middle-Eastern man's armpits (as DH has so bluntly stated). I suppose he enjoys this too. Actually he loves the top parts of Inoui, as do I, but this base, on my skin turns into something a bit like B.O., which is unfortunate, yet I was unbelievably happy and relieved it DOESN'T smell that good on me, which means I will have an extra $400-900 in my wallet, something sure to be useful next month when Santa (AKA. me) comes.

This scent just wasn't made for me, although it's exceedingly beautiful. It does have the powerhouse 80s feel, but I can't see this Japanese woman in a career suit. I see her wearing this in an orangey-yellow silk kimono, eating some ginger slices after a seaweed salad, sitting next to an open sliding wooden paper door facing pine trees on a cooler day in spring.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/21/2008 11:26:00 AM More reviews by Codeblue

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

If there ever was a perfect fragrance for autumn, this would be the one. I believe it's the pine needles note is what I find most enthralling. It isn't a sweet little wide-eyed girl scent but that of the energetic Powerhouse Woman of the 80's who knew where she was going and would climb mountains without complaining to get there. She was a beauty who walked with the brisk gait of confidence and would go nose-to-nose with the good ol' boys. What a classic this one was, and how devastating it was when they took it off the market.

It's a chilly scent. There's nothing soft or warm about it except the memories it leaves behind. It's all business. EL's Aliage is similar to this one but simply doesn't carry off the "class" that Inoui exuded. I'm heartbroken over the fact that I'm down to my last precious bottle of this and will probably be wearing it for the last time this coming autumn since I'll be down to my last few applications. Long live its memory.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2007 2:45:00 PM More reviews by CheriCheri

Hard to find, lightly chypre. The perfume is lusher and deeper and the pine/cedar/oamoss notes are more pronounced. Pretty and classic.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/10/2006 1:50:00 AM More reviews by ewojdula

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

Similar to YSL's Y, but lighter, and maybe sweeter. It's a beautiful, tender chypre floral that's discontinued. OK. That means I shouldn't be reviewing it but I saw that it's already been reviewed. Shiseido: Please bring Inoui back! There are so many of us out there who want it! continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/9/2006 10:18:00 PM More reviews by janebkrn

Age: Unknown Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

Beautiful. too bad it is so hard to find. I think it is Nombre Noir+Zen.