April 21, 2014 | 1336 users online

Skincare - Body - Tea Tree Oil

rated 4 of 5 on 4/13/2014 8:30:00 AM More reviews by GemmaBenge

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

NB-Dilute it.

This is a great spot treatment! doesnt seem to work for me using it all over my face as a toner as it irritates my skin. It definitely brings pimples to the surface and so good at helping them heal up without scarring.

I dilute it in a used up glass spray toner bottle, 5% tt oil and 95% water and use a q-tip or cotton ball to dab it on pimples! Way less drying than benzyol peroxide and helps the healing process. Would recommend for those with mild/moderate acne :)

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2014 2:00:00 AM More reviews by marie5324

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Benzoyl peroxide and salycylic acid never worked for me - and sometime even caused severe reactions. But tea tree oil has been highly effective in clearing my acne. Just a couple of drops on a spot and it will be gone in about two days! I really like the scent of the oil as well. Great for sensitive skin, though I recommend diluting the product or buying a product that is already diluted, such as the tea tree oil sold by the Body Shop.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 5:18:00 AM More reviews by Banjos

I had always avoided this product because it says "oil" and I have acne. Yes, it is an oil but it is also very drying. The oil part evaporates quickly. I have had limited success using it on a Q-tip for spot treating but it is too drying for use on my whole face. It does reek....as strong as Vicks Vapo Rub and smells like Lysol so using it in the daytime is not a very good option. This may work for some but I have had better luck with topical antibiotics and generic Retin-A.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/5/2014 11:10:00 PM More reviews by Piano34

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I really wanted to like this product after hearing so much good reviews about it... But it isnt for me. Tea tree oil is definatley not for people who have sensitive skin (like me) eve after diluting it, it left my skin so raw and red and it also caused me to get cystic acne.. even after my parents constantley telling me to stop using it, i was stubborn still holding onto the hope that it might work... but guess what? It didnt! :/ lets not mention the horrrible strong smell that it has! Yuck. Just people beware when using this!!

rated 4 of 5 on 3/24/2014 12:19:00 PM More reviews by Lorel1

Love this oil in my hair. I put about a tsp. in my shampoo. It has relieved my itchy scalp!! On my face, it has not really improved or kept any pimples at bay. If anything, I may have broken out a little more. I did use the tea tree oil in conjunction with my moisturizer. It felt cooling & a bit more oily, but I used it only at night. Will continue to use this in my shampoo, just not on my face.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2014 2:34:00 PM More reviews by missxcindii

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've tried tea tree oil in the past. I had pretty good results but had to stop because my skin had become really sensitive. My skin tends to go through rebellious moments, and I have to constantly reassess my skincare. Recently I've bought it again and I really do love this stuff. I know it doesn't smell that appealing to most people but I actually like the scent. It is also not the consistency that you would expect of an oil. I bought a 16oz bottle and poured it into 2oz little dropper bottles. I just take a cotton pad, put my normal toner on it and add 2-3 drops of tea tree oil morning and night. Very soothing and my face is feeling a lot less irritated. I wouldn't put this on the face undiluted though. I already get some peeling around some blemishes that are just heeling and I use it diluted so I can only imagine what would happen if you put 100% tea tree oil on a spot. Definitely better used as a preventative measure than a treatment but it does help dry out existing blemishes.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/11/2014 8:11:00 PM More reviews by milancablanca

This is one of the natural skin care products that is actually extremely effective! It works well. Always dilute the pure tea tree oil with some water. Results are quick with this and inflammation decreases. Good luck!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/11/2014 3:46:00 PM More reviews by ttomp13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

AVOID 100% TEA TREE OIL! - See Pictures.

I think a lot of people are turning to tea tree oil because they're seeing that it's being compared to benzoyl peroxide. I know that there is one study out there:

The study states,

"The results of this study showed that both 5% tea-tree oil and 5% benzoyl peroxide had a significant effect in ameliorating the patients' acne by reducing the number of inflamed and non-inflamed lesions (open and closed comedones), although the onset of action in the case of tea-tree oil was slower."

This study is giving a lot of people high expectations for tea tree, and I just want to let you guys know, if you're going to do this, you MUST dilute the tea tree oil! I did my own 15-day study with pictures, and I used 100% tea tree oil, and this broke me out like crazy! If you want to see my pictures, you can check them out here:

Be sure to dilute the tea tree if you try this!! Most studies suggest using 95% (carrier oil) 5% tea tree oil. I was confused as to how you can go about doing this, but it's extremely simple. If you were to use a carrier oil, or water, simply use 95ml of the carrier oil or water, and mix with 5ml of tea tree oil! :)

It's as simple as that! I do know that 100% benzoyl peroxide would practically melt anyone's face off! So if you're going to use tea tree oil, the same rule applies! Use at your own risk, but I definitely would not use any concentration of tea tree oil above 5%.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2014 5:54:00 PM More reviews by sierrab2010

I bought tea tree oil to use as a spot treatment about a week and a half ago and so far it's great. At first, I made the mistake of applying it to my face undiluted. It burned a shit ton and smelled downright awful, so I added a good amount in a spray bottle filled with water and now it burns a lot less. Now it just feels like a refreshing tingle, which I like. It makes any pimples shrink seriously like magic. It's cheap too - about $7.50 for a 2 oz bottle (however you only need a little so it will go a long way). Will definitely repurchase. Very good, natural product.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/27/2014 7:51:00 PM More reviews by mberteig

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I keep trying it and want to love it, but it just doesn't work for me. First, I can't get past the smell! If I even use just one tiny drop, the smell (and it is not a pleasant smell) permeates the entire room. It is so bad that I have to wash it off.

Also, upon use, it immediately irritates my skin and turns it red.

I had read this is supposed to be a great all-purpose product and is good for treating skin issues, irritation, infection etc., but it didn't do anything for me at all. Aquaphor or Calmoseptine is much better.

I threw away the first bottle I bought, and I am about to throw away the second bottle as well. I won't make that mistake again!