December 20, 2014 | 889 users online

Cleansers - Dermalogica - PreCleanse

rated 5 of 5 on 12/14/2014 9:39:00 PM More reviews by brainchem

I have never tried a cleansing but now that I have I will never go without it. I actually tried it by accident when I went to ULTA. One of the associates was going to do my makeup but I still had makeup on. She told that in addition to being an associate at the store, she was also the skin specialist! She basically gave me a mini facial for free! And this was the first product she used. She rubbed it all over my face and then placed a very warm towel over my face and rubbed it off just slightly. I loved it so much, I bought a bottle. It had an essence of great oils and it rinses clean.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/17/2014 2:13:00 AM More reviews by parahp

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Removes makeup very thoroughly and doesn't cause breakouts (for those who are skeptical about putting oil on acne-prone skin). Leaves my skin so soft and looking so smooth. I use differin which can cause peeling but when I use this I never get this problem. I have been using it for years and will continue to use it in the future.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/10/2014 10:31:00 AM More reviews by aquarianrabbit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I love cleansing oils and, even though I have a favorite (ADE Cream Cleanser, which is basically an emulsifying oil cream cleanser), I continue to torture myself by trying more out because, well, I belong to MUA. Anyway, this popped up on my radar when I was browsing around some spa shop on vacation and was dying to buy something. I figured if I got something I would definitely use, I could justify it. The ingredients list is impressive if you lean towards "natural" products as it contains a host of natural oils such as apricot kernel, sunflower seed and safflower, as well as essential oils like lavender and orange. The scent is definitely dominated by the lavender oil, which I don't mind because I find it soothing. Obviously, I wouldn't classify it as a truly green product as it contains parabens and the like.

The oil itself is a thinner consistency, thinner than sunflower oil would be by itself, but not watery. I usually used a dime-sized amount and that would cover my whole face. If I used twice that much, I could spread it all over my face, neck, and decolletage. It was much easier to spread than Josie Maran's oil cleaner, which is thick as shit. I think it did a really good job at cleaning my makeup off, which is the main reason I use oil cleaners. It took care of sunscreen, foundation, concealer and eye makeup, including mascara. I didn't think it emulsified as well as it could have because I definitely recall breaking out if I didn't follow up with a cream or foam cleanser afterwards. That's probably my fault since it is called pre-cleanse, but I was kind of hoping it would have just rinsed clean and saved me a step. Not so much. I would compare this to MAC's Cleanse Off Oil, but it costs more and is a little harder to find. Overall, 4 stars and I would recommend it to someone looking to double cleanse who likes the scent of lavender and prefers a thin oil cleanser and is brand loyal to Dermalogica, otherwise, I would just use the MAC or my personal favorite, ADE Creamy Cleanser.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/27/2014 2:09:00 AM More reviews by poptart26

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is a great precleanse. I began using this is esthetics school and I haven't stopped using it. Any skin type can use it. For oily skin types like mine, it does a great job of helping to remove that sticky oil that for some may take two cleanses with your normal cleanser. You use it on dry skin and massage, then add water and massage some more while getting a milky solution that easily rinses off.
The smell is wonderful! For the person that said she used it in beauty school and 90% of the clients complained about the smell... this was never the case for me. I was in a 1200 hour esthetics program (which is the most hours in the US), so I did a ton of facials and not once did I have a client complain about the smell of this product! In fact, it was the easiest product to retail to clients.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 8/20/2014 7:17:00 PM More reviews by prplepolkadotz

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Smells horrid.. I can't stand it. However it does remove makeup effectively! I am in beauty school and we use this on clients during facials and 90% of them complain about the scent

rated 2 of 5 on 8/14/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by Mattewis

I used Dermalogica in 2005, but not this one. I used the cleansing gel, multi-active toner, active moist and the total eye care. The gel was blah (nothing special), the toner was nice but made me sneeze, the active moist burnt me and the eye product was great but gave me milia. Then I stopped using Dermalogica after 6 months. Fastforward to June 2014. A Dermalogica shop opened right next to my house- how convenient, I thought, no more online shopping for my products (I normally use Paula's Choice). So I bought the travel sizes of pre-cleanse, special cleansing gel, and the toner to see how my skin at nearly 31 handles Dermalogica once again nearly a decade later. I still feel the same way about the gel= blah, and the toner still is nice but I still sneezed a lot. So no to those.

Now for the pre-cleanse. It smells great and it was a dream to use. It felt like being massaged in a salon every night. First, there are way better make-up removers for less money on the market. I don't think it is that great! Nice, yes, but a luxury. However, I then got acne! Other reviewers mentioned this too. I have a tendency towards getting acne, but very mild. Before using pre-cleanse, my skin was nearly flawless. After two weeks of use I look like a pizza. Lots of congested pores, small acne, whiteheads. Never did my skin look this bad. It must be the pre-cleanse because my skin did not react to the gel and toner in this way.

Back to Paula's Choice and my skin is immediately better. No more new zits and in time it will all vanish again. If your skin easily breaks out due to open pores then be careful with this product. I am glad I didn't buy the full size because that would have been an expensive acne-attack. Test it first- the travel sizes are great for that purpose.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/3/2014 6:51:00 PM More reviews by flikstars

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I use this to remove my makeup at the end of the day. I then follow up with special cleansing gel, hydramist and overnight repair serum. If I don't use the precleanse, not all of my makeup comes off properly (I use a brush), it is my hg makeup remover! I will also use it post-workout to remove the sweat and junk that builds up whilst exercising. Once you start using this, you'll realise that your face was never as clean as it could have been.
It is an oil but it doesn't make my skin any oilier as it completely emulsifies when it comes into contact with water, so it gets washed off twice - once with a rinse and once with my cleanser. I think I'd cry if this ever got discontinued!
Overall: expensive but totally worth it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/23/2014 4:12:00 PM More reviews by BeautyAddict62

I love Dermalogica and received a 10ml sample with my Skin Smoothing Cream. I have to admit, I was skeptical of this product because I thought it just added another extra step in my skin regime. I was very pleasantly suprised! I have been using this now for the past few months and I cannot live without it. I feel like it is an extra luxury for my skin. I wear quite heavy make up and this gets all the crap out of my skin without irritating it. I follow the PreCleanse with my normal cleanser and it leaves my skin so clean, smooth and healthy looking. If you are unsure of this product, I recommend trying out a sample. I cannot recommend this product enough!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/7/2014 10:37:00 AM More reviews by jaya_1981

Love this, its the one skincare product that I don't change up. I like to massage onto dry, clean face and leave for a little while when I can , between 15-25 mins once a week. I really feel as though it dissolves clogged pores. Otherwise I use it daily at night in the shower. Apply to dry face, massge then wet hands emulsify and use your other cleanser. The benefit on hacing all the oil and gunk off your face so that your skin can take in the benefits of your cleanser is unbeatable!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/14/2014 3:27:00 AM More reviews by tambam12

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Pre-Cleanse is probably my favourite skin care item of all time. It's a product that I loved so much from my first use, that it cemented my dedication to a nightly skin care routine. I couldn't wait to use this every day! Using an oil cleansing to remove makeup, in my opinion, is the best way. It smells amazing, it removes everything and the packaging it seriously perfect. All oil cleansers should be packaged like this. It's a great starter for people new to oil cleansers and has never once irritated my skin, nor any of my friends skin. I give out mini bottles to all of my friends at Christmas! And an added bonus - it's called precleanse! The name specifies that it's used before a cleanser, which I love because I know a lot of people get confused! - x