Mineral Oil

3.8

Price: $

Price: $

on 4/3/2015 5:45:00 PM

I used Johnsons baby oil on my scalp that is flaky. I have read a lot of info online that mineral oil is bad for the hair etc. However, after reading Ktani's blog on the benfits of it I decided to try it. I massaged on my scalp, left it on for 1 hour under a shower cap. I then shampooed and conditioned. I had no flakes on my scalp for a couple of days and I had less fly away hairs. I didn't rate it 5 because even though I was impressed, there is nothing amazing or miraculous about this oil.

on 12/29/2014 10:19:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

This review is for mineral oil as a makeup remover.

First off, I think it is worth mentioning that there are variations of mineral oil that can range from the thin liquid of baby oil to a thicker more viscous consistency similar to condensed milk. I don't know if they function differently or not, but I'm reviewing a more viscous cosmetic grade variant that I purchased from TKB Trading.

I've tried several oils for makeup removal (apricot kernel, grapeseed, almond, avocado, castor, argan, etc. and various mixes of them) and on my dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin it is easily the most effective. I use a small quarter sized amount to remove a full face by massaging the oil into my skin. I end up with a lot of makeup smeared unattractively across my face, which I follow up with a foaming cleanser to remove both the oil and the makeup.

Mineral oil's thickness makes it easiest to work with since it doesn't drip down onto my neck or clothing, and it has a somewhat more luxurious feel. I was admittedly hesitant about trying mineral oil since I'm acne-prone and it gets a bad reputation, but there has been no noticeable increase in acne. I do find double cleansing is sometimes a bit fussier than I would want so I am still looking at other makeup removal options in the future but I think this is a solid standby option.

Overall, mineral oil is an inexpensive and easy-to-use makeup remover for double cleansing.

on 6/13/2014 10:44:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool

A while back I bought a large bottle of mineral oil, because I had this brilliant idea I was going to make my own cold cream. Needless to say the cold cream was a disaster! However, I had the good sense to hold on to the mineral oil, which I started using as an eye makeup remover. This is the 100% pure mineral oil you get in the laxative aisle at the drugstore. It's fragrance free, and a large 16 oz bottle only costs about $3.00 dollars.

Normally I use cold cream to remove my makeup, but if I'm just wearing eye makeup, I use this because it's a bit easier. What surprised me about the mineral oil is how thick it is. It's definately different from baby oil, which is thinner and is perfumed. This has no scent, and I like how the thicker product stays put and doesn't seep into your eyes.

It's easy to use. I just put a little bit on a cotton ball and gently dab it on my eyes. I also like to include my eyebrows even if I'm not wearing eyebrow pencil, because I feel like it really condtions your brows and eyelashes. Then I wash my face.

Another trick I do with the mineral oil is to use it under my eyes before washing my face. I got the idea from reading this terrific beauty book from the 1970's called "The Natural Way to Super Beauy" written by Mary Ann Crenshaw. Crenshaw is a big believer in the Erno Laszlo method and apparently knew the man himself. She outlines his method in the book and mentions how she puts a special oil under her eyes before washing with his special soap. So, I went online and found the oil she's talking about, which they still sell. Guess what the first ingredient is? That right, mineral oil. Except his version costs $45.00 dollars. I tried using the mineral oil under my eyes before washing, and it works great. It sort of protects the delicate eye area while you clean. The whole eye area feels fresh and soft when you're done washing. Mineral oil is such a great, inexpensive product to have on hand. For only a few dollars, you have very little to lose.

on 9/27/2013 12:59:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool

Hair: Brown, Kinky, Fine

I use plain cheap mineral oil to remove make up, then I typically clean my face again with another cleanser.

It would be better to suspend this in water first but I dampen a cotton pad. Tthat is what most make up removers are - oil suspended in water with a few chemicals, so you pay $$$ for a tiny bit of oil in water keep that in mind when trying to spend less on make up

Any type oil would be fine, Argan, Olive, etc.

No need to pay $$$$$$ for a few drops of oil in water to remove your make up when you can get (gallons literally) by using another oil or mineral oil, just use water with it.

on 2/10/2013 7:43:00 AM

I have been using jojoba or almond oil for years to remove my makeup but recently decided to try mineral oil (not the baby oil) because i was on a budget and i really dont like it at all! It was not light like jojoba and seemed to strip my face instead of leaving moisture. I just hated the feeling on my skin and its so thick. And then after 3 days it broke me out. I guess it will sit there till i need it for other purposes. Definately will not repurchase.

on 10/27/2012 9:39:00 PM

I tried cleansing with this for my clogged prone skin but it yielded nasty results. I do however like this for an eye makeup remover. I use a waterproof eyeliner and mascara and this is very gentle on my eyes and the left behind moisture can't be bad. Also wonderful for shaving legs.

on 10/3/2012 8:58:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I use drugstore brand mineral oil (found in the laxative section, yuk, but grab and go, no pun intended) and it is odorless (unlike baby oil) and colorless. 16 oz bottle. I love it for moisturizing my face, hair, skin plus it can be used as a makeup remover. Inexpensive. I do like baby oil but the scent bothers me sometimes, and I prefer products with no scent anyway. Plain old mineral oil is perfect for me! It comes in an opaque white bottle with a screw cap. I peeled the labels off so as I was using it for beauty things the word "laxative" wasn't glaring at me. Now, it's just my oil.

Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure

My skin has been quite temperamental lately. It's dehydrated/oily, sensitive and prone to clogging and now getting some break outs. Not fun. I noticed that some gals on the skincare board have had good luck with using mineral oil as a cleanser/moisturizer. I had some baby oil lying around and I thought I would give it a try. The first week I just cleansed with it, I would rub it on my face then remove it with a warm, wet baby wash cloth. My pores started to get very clogged so I thought that I would try using another cleanser to remove the baby oil, instead of just using the wash cloth. That didn't work well either. I then thought that maybe I was using the wrong kind of mineral oil. I ordered some cosmetic grade mineral oil from Garden of Wisdom. I tried using it a pre-cleanser, cleanser or moisturizer and it failed on all accounts.
My skin felt suffocated. like I was walking around with plastic wrap over my face. My pores became so clogged, it was horrible. At the same time my face was oily yet sooo dry. I should have patch tested this first, leason learned. I wish I could give this zero lippies!!!

on 8/1/2012 6:16:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Cool

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

This is definitely not for everyone and I suggest you get pure mineral oil as baby oil contains fragrance that might irritate some skin types. I did some research on mineral oil. For years I was scared of using things with mineral oil in it for fear of adverse reactions. I come to the conclusion that quality does matter in this case for me. I tried baby oil first to ease myself into it but favored it more as a body moisturizer and sporadic hair serum. Pure mineral oil I use as a pre-cleanser. I then follow with my sebamed cleanser. I don't get clogged pores and my face is super soft. Existing acne seems to fade as time goes on. So far I have been loving this. There is no scent and a bottle cost me less than six dollars at the drugstore. I pour a little into a travel bottle to make things easier. I use a quarter amount on dry skin and it removes my foundation very well. I then get a wet washcloth and gently rub off

on 7/24/2012 5:01:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

After going the NO HEAT route for my wavy hair, I began the search for a styling product that would define, weigh, and control my hair without being a gel, mouse, or hairspray.I've tried products from Bumble and Bumble, Frederic Fekkai, John Frieda, John Masters Organics, Paul Mitchell, Chi, Healthy Sexy Hair, leave-in conditioners....and none did what I wanted,

I wanted more weight to my hair, defined, maybe piece-y, and moisture.

The Bumble styling lotion came very close, but had the stiffness and the Fekkai stuff had the moisture but no definition. So I went back to cosmetic grade mineral oil and slathered it on before bed and the next day I got the hair of my dreams.

I am in the process of growing out and trimming away all the damage from heat products, so I do have a bit of frizz and just use a serum or baby lotion (just a tad) to calm it down and it works.

This method will not work for someone who contiues to heat damage their hair on a regular basis. But it will work for someone who does not heat style or is seriously limitng the usage of heat on their hair.

From my experience, mineral oil has not dried out my hair no matter what the season is or the temperature outside. So do not believe the lies out there about it, its propaganda spread to take away your hard earned money and direct it to ineffective products.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products