November 23, 2014 | 1949 users online

Conditioner - Giovanni - Nutrafix hair reconstructor

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/24/2014 1:23:00 AM More reviews by Metraria

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I actually haven't tried this product yet, so my current rating is just a placeholder. (I plan to use the product tomorrow night.) While I normally don't write a review before using the product, after reading some of the reviews here I think there may be confusion about what this product is supposed to do.

Reconstructors are NOT meant to moisturize your hair, even though the product may claim otherwise. Instead, they're supposed to strongly bond a whole lotta protein to your hair. (Any protein treatment will eventually wash out, but a reconstructor should last at least a month or so.) While protein helps support moisturization, the massive amounts found in reconstructors tend to dry hair out.

For most people, using a moisturizing deep conditioner immediately after the protein treatment will fix things. Those with fine or very damaged hair may not even need the moisturizing step: often, their hair loves all the protein it can get. But some people -- especially those whose hair is coarse (has thick strands) and undamaged -- experience protein build-up. They just don't need that much protein, so reconstructors leave their hair brittle and straw-like even after moisturizing. If that happens to you, it's best to avoid this type of treatment. Some people's hair is so "sensitive" to protein that they need to avoid protein products altogether.

If Nutrafix isn't quite what you're looking for:
If you want a deep conditioner that has some protein but is focused on moisturizing, I recomend Aubrey Organics GPB Balancing Protein Conditioner. If you want the strongest reconstructor out there, look no further than Aphogee 2-Step. It's messy, smelly, and tricky to use, but you'll find extensive how-to's in the reviews on this site. To increase the protein content of an existing hair product, add Colorful Neutral Protein Filler (sold at Sally Beauty). To make your own super-cheap protein treatment, I suggest googling the Science-y Hair Blog's gelatin protein treatment. The blog also has detailed information about the different types of protein found in hair products, and their effects.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/2/2013 5:01:00 PM More reviews by MsLove

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Other, Other, Fine Eyes: Brown

Meh. As a reconstructor, it should mend your hair, strengthen, make curls pop, leave it softer, prep/repair from heat styling, etc. i didn't feel this conditioner did any of this. I would use it again but only as a regular conditioner. I do like Giovanni's Deeper moisture and 50/50 balanced conditioner, but to me this wasn't too far of a throw from either of those formulas. I am comparing this to reconstructive treatments that work well consistently on healthy hair: Aubrey Organics GBP, Nexxuss Emergencee, PHYTO Phytospecific Vital Force. For reference hair is Type 4 kinky curly healthy dense fine soft long fresh smelling and bouncy. :)

rated 5 of 5 on 6/11/2013 3:25:00 AM More reviews by Surfaddict

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

This stuff saved my hair. I ruined them by using cheap drugstore stuff and it just looked like dry straw...forget about the shine or combing through easily.
This reconstructor has no scent, is thick and filled with proteins, it is amazing for weak, dry and damaged hair. After the first time I used it, my hair looked 100 times better and it actually continues improving until now, and I'm on my second tube. Before I was afraid to even color my hair once in 6 months, so weak they were. Now they went through 3 colorings and one Brazilian blowout (I'm European, white, just in case) in just 2.5 months, and still look really good.
I apply in after Giovanni smooth as silk shampoo for at least 10 minutes and follow by the conditioner from the same line. It is a reconstructor and is not supposed to detangle or moisturize your hair perfectly, it RECONSTRUCTS.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2013 11:31:00 PM More reviews by tiara98

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

so far, so good.

i was in a hair rut: my fine hair was soooo dry & the ends were fried from coloring/heat styling. i got into a destructive pattern of overconditioning to soften, drowning and flattening my curls in the process.

the first move i made in my hair product overhaul was to buy Giovanni Nutrafix for protein. i applied a mixture of the Nutrafix & Fairy Tales Energizing Leave-In Conditioner (the latter has turned out to be way too heavy for my hair as a leave-in) to wet hair & left it on overnight. when i rinsed it out the next morning -- WOW!! my hair was soft, shiny, springy, my split ends were completely smooth, and i had a great hair day!!

figured out that i don't get the same results when i don't mix or immediately follow the Nutrafix with some kind of moisture, and i prefer the mix option because it saves me a step.

i may try other protein treatments in the future, but honestly, the price point of this one is very attractive (i think i paid $5.99 at Ulta) as is the fact that it doesn't have any garbage like mineral oil or silicones in it. i tried ApHogee a few times years ago & i can't see myself doing it ever again - that's a very time consuming & intense process!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2013 5:37:00 PM More reviews by metisse1

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I'm a natural haired biracial girl and my nightmare has been my frenemy for years. I always dreamed of untangling this mess, making it look pretty and I wasted my time and money relaxing my hair and getting very unhealthy scalp. Then I turned to natural, and though my journey still isn't over, I enjoy my hair more now. This is partly due to this product. This product untangles my hair in a sec, deeply repairs it and nourishes my hair very well. I used to use before the Motions Protein Reconstructor but that contained way too many chemicals, this one is natural and full of essential oils. So all good for the hair. Try it, it's natural, it's cheap and it lasts! Who could ask for anything more?
Get 5$ (below total amount of 40$) to 10$ (when you reach 40$) off your first Iherb.com order with code EME922.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2012 8:57:00 AM More reviews by skwass

A HG product for me--I have it on Subscribe and Save on my Amazon account (10% off or so for a pack of 3, which usually comes out to under $20). I'm growing out some really damaged (read: bleached) hair that's now only an inch or so at the ends, and the rest of my hair is virgin (born again? Ha!). I use this reconstructor to "cut" my regular conditioner, so I end up using it several times a week on my ends and maybe once a week on my whole head. When I only use it on the ends, I use a regular conditioner on the rest of my hair and then sort of massage it all together. I love that this product has no 'cones and a very mild smell (if any at all). Perfect for someone with fine hair (no weighing down) and a sensitive olfactory system. Love!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/11/2012 9:09:00 PM More reviews by aimela

Did not do much. It did not reconstruct nor provide much mositurization. Felt like very light conditioner.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/7/2012 1:06:00 PM More reviews by nuclearbeth

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I have spent a long time looking for a good natural deep conditioner without silicones. My search is over. This stuff is fantastic and fairly inexpensive. It currently sells for $5.28 at Vitacost.com and it is totally worth it. A little goes a long way. The bottle lasted about 4 months when used once a week on my shoulder length hair. I will definitely repurchase this.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/9/2012 4:48:00 PM More reviews by PinkGrapefruit14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I love this conditioner and recently repurchased it from Whole Foods for about 6 bucks due to a sale! It leaves your hair feeling strong, but not dry feeling like some other protein conditioners out there. A tip to those that feel the conditioner does not impart enough moisture--if you have curly to coarse hair, it's always a good idea to follow up a reconstructor with a moisturizing deep conditioner. Don't expect the reconstructor to reconstruct AND moisturize. This product does both, but it definitely does more reconstructing than deep moisturizing. I hate when people misjudge a product because it's expecting it to do something it's not really designed to do! Overall, I'm happy that it gives me just enough protein for my hair without making it hard--for that it gets an A+ from me! :)

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2011 7:51:00 PM More reviews by twiggyelf

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE this product! I have been experiencing massive hair shedding because of permanent haircolor chemicals and cheap shampoos. I decided to stop coloring for a while and switch to natural SLS free products. This product made my medium hair thick and lustrous, like it got plumped in the shower. It was very soft afterwards, AND not nearly as much shedding as with the cheap drugstore products I used to use. So far so good! I will update if I change my mind.