December 22, 2014 | 1756 users online

Skincare - Face - Vanicream Cleansing Bar

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 12/21/2014 8:59:00 PM More reviews by daisyismydog

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have dehydrated-normal acne-prone skin, and I like this as a facial cleanser. I do find it a little stripping, but much less than the average cleanser. I don't think I've encountered a cleanser gentler than this that I would recommend with the exception of cleansing oils that emulsify off or leave a film. I like that it's strong enough to remove my water-resistant sunscreen, but it's not enough to act as a second cleanser if you're using the oil cleansing method (straight oils with no added emulsifiers) if that is indicative of its strength.

I find it easy to use and it lasts a while. I've been using the same bar for the past three months and I still have quite a way to go. I store it in a soap dish and I find it dries completely between uses. I've also used it to cleanse my body and I was happy with its performance and lather.

Overall, this is easily the most economical face cleanser I've come across and I imagine I'll be using it for quite a while. If you're looking for a no-frills cleanser, this is an excellent option and worth a try given the price and its ability to be repurposed for the body.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 9/29/2013 12:36:00 PM More reviews by CordulaM

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Other, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I wasn't a huge fan of this. It felt way too drying on my face, despite recommendations that swore it wasn't. It's also hard to keep dry after use, and felt it was a little more trouble than it's worth. I put this in the shower and hope its better for body (used it once so far for that). At least it's cheap but I'm not all that impressed.

Since this review I've found better facial bars, but do use this on occasion on a stubborn pimple to dry it out. I just put on a dab and let it dry. I react to things easily and most 'acne' products are too strong so that's at least one plus. But it has to be spot or it's to over drying (and as you may have guessed, I react to moisturizers too).

rated 4 of 5 on 5/28/2013 1:42:00 PM More reviews by sambear77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Grey

When I first bought this soap, I used it on my face because I had some seriously dry winter skin. It cleared up my skin really well at first, then I started to break out. I now only use this in the shower. It's great for shaving my legs. [TMI alert] The reason I really and truly love this soap is that it's really great for my lady parts. I was having some problems that I won't get into, but needless to say, using this in the shower every day keeps everything as it should be downstairs.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/19/2011 9:03:00 PM More reviews by looseygooseyiamnot

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I really like this soap, and after years of suffering from seborrheic dermatitis my WHOLE life, it took me years to discover that I couldn't use overly scented frou-frou bodywashes (pretty much anything that smells amazing) on my body, or I would get patches of seborrhea all over my body, mainly on my chest. This soap lathers up wonderfully and quickly eases my skin of any patches I may be suffering from. It actually smells nice, it smells, well, like cleaniness. I've become a pretty big fan of Vanicream products, this and their moisturizing cream, and my skin has never looked and felt better.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/21/2011 3:44:00 PM More reviews by Reservechic

I found this product to work almost identical to my Dove Sensitive Skin Cleansing Bar. It is perfectly ideal for use on the body. I do not believe in using bar soap (of any kind) on my face any more. So, I cannot attest to how this product works on the face.

Overall, I am glad that I did get a chance to try it. It is no better quality than Dove soap. And, because of such, I do pan to continue to use Dove as I have done so for many years thus far.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/27/2011 11:30:00 PM More reviews by nmariec

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I use Vanicream because a dermatologist recommended it after I had some redness/irritation/scaling problems after a reaction to an "oil control" product I had used. Vanicream is gentle and I've had a good experience with it so far, although about once every other week I have to switch back to Proactiv due to a bump here and there. The only down side is that it's in bar form, which is messy and not travel-friendly, but I've gotten used to the travel bar soap dishes.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/22/2009 5:13:00 AM More reviews by LynneNeary

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I use Retin A. It decongested my pores like magic. I used Vanicream cleansing bar at the urging of my dermatologist as it was supposed to be good for dry Retin A skin. Unfortunately, It made my pores allll clogged and puffy again overnight. It was so disappointing to work so hard to get my pores clear, suffering through the dryness and peeling only to have this product ruin all that hard work in a matter of hours. Also, it irritated my eyes so badly (I didn't get it IN my eyes, just around them) that I actually had to go back to the dermatologist and get a steroid cream to take away the inflamation. Ugg. Not a good product for me!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2009 11:00:00 AM More reviews by Lisa_Marie

Age: 36-43 Skin: Very Dry, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Oh Vanicream Bar, where have you been for $2.99 all my life?! This bar causes no redness on my easily irritated skin. The only other cleanser I can use without fail is ShiKai Borage Oil, but that costs more. I agree with the other reviewers that this is drying, but what cleanser isn't? I just apply moisturizer on my face as soon as I step out of the shower. I love this and am tempted to try other Vanicream products to see if they perform as well...

rated 1 of 5 on 9/18/2009 6:34:00 PM More reviews by rtorres72

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I was very disappointed with this as a face soap! It cleaned my face but was actually a little irritating and drying. My cheeks (which are rosacea prone) were noticeably redder. But the soap made the skin on my body feel very soft--go figure. At least it didn't go to waste (but you should keep it somewhere where it can dry out between uses--it will just melt away otherwise)

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/3/2009 2:13:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

The Vanicream Cleansing Bar contains no dyes, lanolin, parabens, formaldehyde, fragrance or masking fragrance.

My skin is dry to very dry and sensitive.

I've been using Vanicream Cleansing Bar for years in the shower (but not on my face). It lathers very well and rinses easily. It doesn't irritate and leaves my skin moisturized.