November 28, 2014 | 1946 users online

Treatments (Face) - Kate Somerville - Quench

rated 5 of 5 on 10/24/2014 6:55:00 PM More reviews by ceebee90

I was very lucky and won this in a giveaway. I could never afford a 70 dollar serum on my own. So far, I'm impressed.

I don't know what everyone talking about. This isn't greasy or heavy at all on my skin. It does feel slippery going on, like a lot of serums, but it took no longer than a minute to sink in. If feels smooth and soft. It's important to use only one pump. I followed the instructions on the box, and used one pump for my face and neck. If you use too much, it won't sink in quickly and will feel too greasy. People tend to use too much serum.

I was a little worried by the "hydrating" claim, because my skin can get oily in places. But this didn't exacerbate the oily factor at all. It didn't show itself at all throughout the day.

Makeup went on well over it and looks great!

The only downside is the price. This is a great serum, but it's overpriced. I guess all that extra dough is going to the fancy packaging. The packaging is beautiful, but I have no use for a pretty silver bottle. I'd rather have more product! $70 for an ounce of good but not life-changing product is not reasonable. When I run out, I'll probably have to go back to my Olay Regenerist serum, which is just as good at less than a third of the price.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/9/2014 9:51:00 AM More reviews by domokun_nyc

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

This is very similar in feel and results to the Peter Thomas Roth Retinol Fusion PM. Quench is a clear, very silky, even oily-feeling, silicone-based serum that takes a few minutes to sink in (at least on my sometimes oily skin). Vs. the PTR, Quench is possibly a bit more oily feeling, a little thicker consistency, but not by much. Mostly I had to use this at night. Daytime use typically lead to shiny forehead/cheeks in a couple hours. But it was a good boost on my driest of days when it aided smooth application of my tinted moisturiser.

For a silicone-based product, it did not break me out at all and the retinol never irritated my skin. The bottle is fab, no annoying glass bottle/eye dropper delivery system like the PTR. Bottle is a light-weight pump, aluminium cylinder that squeezes everything up as you use the product. I'd estimate about 2 months supply with continuous use of 1.5 pumps a day. I didn't notice any grand results -- seemed more like maintaining status quo rather than any great improvement. But I liked it more than the PTR in terms of packaging and hydrating power. Given that both products are at a similar price point, I'd be more likely to get spendy with the Quench than the PTR.

One thing to consider with both these products: they do combine your serum with your retinol product, so you could think in terms of them being more economical, not having to purchase two separate products. OTOH, if you do break out and use BP, you cannot use these serums with retinol at the same time. So, you need to have a non-retinol serum handy anyway for those BP days. Just food for thought.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 5/28/2013 10:24:00 PM More reviews by dianelarsenemail

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Feels extremely greasy and heavy on skin. Would not suggest using if you have sensitive acne-prone skin that is irritated by products that contain silicone. Although it did make my face feel soft there would be no way of noticing it because i started to breakout in painful pimples along my cheeks. I only was able to use it a few times because of the horrible acne that was erupting.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/19/2013 10:21:00 PM More reviews by 282012

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This serum made my skin break out really bad, and I would not recommend it for anyone with acne. I really wanted to love it, so I continued to use it for about two months. Once I stopped using it my acne cleared up. In addition to the acne, it didn't seem to do anything in terms of brightening or improving the overall look of my skin. Overall, I was disappointed and regretted spending so much money on this stuff.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/20/2012 12:18:00 PM More reviews by britbrat22

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I've been using this product twice a day for over a year now on my very dry skin. It's the only thing that works. It is pricey, so I did venture out and try other things but that didn't last long. Nothing gave me the hydration, glow and even skin that this product does. I get so many compliments on my skin ALL the time now, about it's glow, perfect complexion, etc and i owe it ALL to this amazing serum. I have suffered dry skin since i was a teenager and have spent, honestly, thousands of dollars to try anything and everything, high end and drugstore, and this is the miracle worker that changed it all for me. I recommend it to anyone looking for something to cure their dry skin & give you the perfect glow, not that dull, boring skin any more. You NEED to try this! Will continue to buy as long as they make it.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/2/2012 5:11:00 PM More reviews by nikrou

It has silicone in it. And for me, it broke me out horribly. I am in my mid twenties, with very sensitive skin. Moisturizing creams leave me too moisturized and I was looking for something in between. I thought that this was it. Bottom line, i truly feel this product is for those with mature skin. After i started using this as a hand moisturizer (which worked great as that, btw) I gave it to my mother. She had nothing crazy to say about it. She basically used it to have something to use on her face...it definitely lingered for a few months though. And this is someone who is a heavy user of Chanel skincare products. Cheap or expensive, the stuff lacks what it says to do. Kate Somerville doesn't have a winner to me with this one.

Fresh Seaberry Moisurizing Oil is a great alternative. I use that with no problem.

rated 2 of 5 on 5/15/2012 2:53:00 PM More reviews by windkey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

Yes, I did drink the Kool-aid and buy a Kate Somerville product for full price, even as I nobly passed by the Exfolikate.
It is acceptable, but not all that, and for the money, I'd definitely like to see a bit more of the alleged "intense hydration, increased firmness, and improved elasticity."
What it actually is in action on my face: a nice, super-light moisturiser. Probably ideal for me on humid summer days.
The good:
Light formula spreads well and disappears shortly without residue or stickiness.
No scent (I should put that first, considering what a perpetual big deal it is to me).
No breakouts or adverse reactions.
Nice bottle -- looks good, distributes an appropriate amount of product in a hygienic way, doesn't try to get too fancy.
The not-so-good:
Overhyped, definitely not delivering the promised goods.
Overpriced (surprise, surprise).
I'll happily finish this bottle, but I'm not going to be buying this one again.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/4/2012 10:00:00 PM More reviews by BadWaitress

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I was sort of surprised by this product, as my skin usually responds really badly to 'cone-heavy formulas, but I like Quench a lot. I tried it at Sephora and initially I thought the texture was disgusting, greasy and slick, but the trick is to use a very tiny amount, just enough to smooth over your face, and let it dry for a minute or two before you put your moisturizer on.
I've been using it for three weeks now and my face looks great. It's midwinter here and I glow anyway. The only makeup I need is two dots of concealer to cover a couple of capillaries. It's expensive, but at the rate I'm going through it I think it will last 3-4 months at least, so amortize the cost and it's not that bad.

rated 4 of 5 on 2/14/2011 1:09:00 AM More reviews by muaddictbiotch

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I got quite a few packages of samples of this and although on here it says its full of silicones it doesnt bother me... I havent broken out and have got a few weeks worth of use just out of the samples!...im on my way to buy one once i get my next paycheck!... if your face can handle the product I would deff. buy one.. it is PERFECT to use before makeup application, ESPECIALLY if you have dry skin! It does have a "greasy" feel upon first application but settles in and makes your skin feel like a babys butt! I think the key is not to use TOO MUCH of this product with each application...

rated 2 of 5 on 11/22/2010 7:36:00 PM More reviews by Andreainhalifax

Although it feels very greasy/slippery when being applied, it actually feels nice on the skin. I forgot to look at the ingredients list, but I'm confident that silicone (unfortunately) is a key ingredient. My skin broke out after using it for two days. I will not buy again.