L'Oreal Excellence Creme Blonde Supreme in Lightest Ash Blonde

3.4

on 2/17/2015 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Cool

This review is for Excellence Blonde Supreme in extra light ash blonde #01. Bought this because I read that it had a blue base which I know only salon color has (Koleston has lots of blue based blondes) the base of this color is violet, I still used it because I had lots of super shiny yellow gold and mainly orange which violet doesn't cut for me, I did a swatch for 30 minutes, the recommended time and did nothing, so decided to go for 45 mins. I forgot how much I like the fact that Excellence has a pre-serum treatment that really works and that I don't have to purchase the protein filler separately, I was able to coat all my hair with it. The mix is super fumey and strong and the mix looks white, applied on the orangy parts on the back first and then on the yellow parts, I had lots of product leftover and did the top part as well, waited 45 mins but ended up leaving for 55 mins, probably should have done an hour but got a little scared since my hair has damage from bleach. Rinsing was very easy, no slimy or stretchy hair and no hair loss either!!! When I was done drying my hair saw that all the gold was gone and the orange was toned done a lot, the parts that were brown were lifted so much with no brass and the blonde parts are now a super natural beautiful color, no split ends either, my hair went from rough and dry and frizzy hot mess to cashmere soft, my hair pulls so much red and this is overall an amazing dye, miracle working product. Will update if I like it more than Nutrisse in White Chocolate.
EDIT: did a swatch test with Nutrisse 111 and the color came out gray! I love ash blonde but that color was the color of lead, that never happened before but I've read here on MUA that a now it turns your hair gray! So I will be back to the Excellence.

on 12/28/2014 11:27:00 AM

I used this hair dye in the past. Just to be clear, it is a high lift (developer 30 volume instead of the usual 20 in box dye) and blue-based color (ash) so if your hair is lighter than 8-9, highlighted/bleached, it can definitely turn your hair blue/gray/violet.
I remember using this on my roots only to blend them with all-over salon highlights, because i didn't have the money to go to the salon for roots only (i was a student then)
My natural hair is a dark ash blonde, so ash colors work well on me, they don't turn brassy. I remember that my roots matched the bleached highlights and i was pretty happy. I would NOT use this for an all-over color since my hair is currently very light. If you want to tone down the orange/yellow, please use a toner and no a high-lift dye. You want a color-deposit only or a slight lift (vol 10 or 20) not something as strong as this. =)

I used this dye, following all instructions, and it turned my hair an ugly, blue/purple/green/gray color. I'm so upset. I have to dye my hair for a Musical that I'm in, and I now have troll hair. Will never buy anything sold by L'OREAL EVER AGAIN.

on 3/10/2014 5:41:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I love this stuff....this out of every toner/color out there gave me the platinum locks I wanted.I dont care if its "boxed dye".At first your hair may appear purple or blue but dont be alarmed this will wash out within one to two.shampoos.This has been the best white platinum blonde for me....I tryed Manic Panic Virgin Snow and Wella "White Lady" and this was much better.than.both.of those professional dyes

on 3/5/2014 2:04:00 AM

I usually use les blondissimas...probably not spelled right...in the same shade. The store i was in was out, but i saw this, and figured same brand, same color, it should be fine. Nope. I got the same weird blue purple green grey shade everyone is talking about. I have an appointment for a cut tomorrow, but really wasn't planning on shelling out for corrective color. Silly me. I didn't want to get scolded for my roots, but purply troll colored hair is way more embarrassing.

on 12/16/2013 11:21:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

Good hair color for getting a very light ASH blonde shade. I have used this before on dyed and not dyed hair. It lightens my light brown hair to a pretty, light ash blonde shade. Very good. On already light blond hair the colors has a green/grey cast to it. But I only see it in certain light. It looks like a pretty very light blond to public. The cast fades after a few washes as well. This is the ash tones in the dye. If your hair is already platimun there isn't any color to add so really should only be dyeing your roots and adding rest on hair for 5-10minutes. I leave this dye on my whole head for 25-30 minutes and I haven't been dissappointed. My hair turns out a pale ash blond. Its lightening your hair so it is a bit drying but not any worse than most home dyes I have tried.

on 6/26/2013 3:06:00 AM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Warm

I also used the lightest ash blonde from the pro-keratine line. I bleached my hair myself from very dark brown to light blonde. Yes, gradually, with much painstaking effort. I could hardly stand how ugly it looked in between bleachings! I did not have any toner on hand and decided to try using this to take out the last of the brassy yellow tones that were left after the 3rd or 4th (don't remember now) bleaching. I left this in for 45-50 min, rinsed it out, and my hair was a beautiful, cool, pale blonde color. Some said they ended up with grey or blue, and i see why, my hair was so light, it was almost translucent, especially the ends. Shocking, but, i loved it. Maybe i would have gotten the same result if my starting color was very light blonde naturally. Got me hooked on being blonde, now I'm a tad bit darker with ash blonde roots that fade into a warmer light blonde. Which was also an accident, I used ash blonde hair dye to touch up my dark and (previously touched up brassy lower) roots and really liked the result! Made it look more natural. Somehow, my hair is all still intact with no split ends. I drown it in conditioner and leave-in conditioner with extra serum or oil on the very ends, and only blow dry on warm and cool, leaving 1/2 the bottom length still slightly damp, finished up with another dab of serum or oil on tips in front. If I could afford someone to touch me up weekly, I so would, it is a pain but I love being blonde! Especially since so many Asians who try it sport a really brassy orangey blonde, I feel extra show-offy with my hair ;)

on 2/17/2013 6:46:00 AM

Just used this yesterday and it's not bad. I have light blonde level 9 base and about a level 7 caramel lowlights. I wanted to do my roots and avoid going to the salon again. My natural hair is light brown with grey and my roots were about 1.5 inches of this. I read the reviews about peoples hair turning blue or purple but took my chance. Usually, these ash shades have a blue base to cut the brasiness and thats why some people use Shimmer Lights blue shampoos etc..Anyways, if you have really bleached hair, usually the blue tinge will get soaked up in the bleached parts of your hair such as a highlight. I applied AA01 to my root areas all over my head and let it sit about 40 mins. The I combed it down to the roots and let it sit for 5 mins longer and then rinsed/washed. The result was pretty good. I had no blue colour and it lifted my roots to a decent shade of blonde that was not brassy. Overall, I was happy and I saved myself a roots touch up at the salon which could cost $80 or more. I would use this product again.

on 8/2/2012 2:37:00 PM

This is a great at-home hair color. I have been using L'Oreal's Les Blondissimes line, but it wasn't quite getting my hair past the yellow stage. It didn't look bad, just not as light as I wanted- more of a golden blonde. I went to Target one day to pick up my regular color and noticed this one next to it and that it said "high lift." I decided to give it a shot since I knew high lift would be more likely to pull my hair just past that golden stage Les Blondissimes couldn't.

My roots were pretty bad (I think I had gone 8 weeks since highlighting last) so I followed the instructions to put the color on the ends and length first for 20 minutes, then apply to roots. The only difference was I left the color on my roots for about 45 minutes vs. 20, knowing 20 wasn't enough time to get them light enough. After the product had been on my length and ends for 30 minutes, I washed most of that out, leaving the product on my roots awhile longer. I rinsed with warm water and used a big handful of the conditioner and then let my hair air dry. I have naturally curly hair, but it can be tough to get a good idea what your color looks like with curls (which is also why you can go a little longer between highlights with curly hair) so I decided to straighten it to see how the color turned out.

It was BEAUTIFUL. I have not had such a pretty light blonde with such depth since I stopped going to the salon 2 years ago. Be aware, some pieces WILL look bluish/purple/gray when your hair is wet, but as they dry, they are just a pretty platinum blonde, and they stand out very well against the rest of the hair. I immediately recommended the color to a friend who was thinking of coloring her own hair for the first time and she gave it a shot the next day and said the results were better than her colorist's and she would no longer be paying $100 for highlights she could do at home. There's no brassiness or orange tones in the blonde at all- once your hair dries you can really see how pretty and light the blonde really is.

I plan on using this as my go-to hair color from now on. I will never go back to Les Blondissimes after using this high lift formula. Due to how light my hair is now though, I doubt I'll be able to get away with going 8 weeks between colorings again and will probably have to do it every 5 or so. But it's a wonderful color, and by far the best box blonde I've ever tried.

on 3/18/2012 7:13:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

(This review is for the shade which is called Ultra Light Ash Blonde [AA01] from the Excellence Pro-Keratine collection.)
Oh my god, this colour turned my light blonde hair (which is dyed to this colour, but naturally dark blonde) BLUE.... I almost had a heart attack when I looked in the mirror. I've been "experimenting" with colours from L'Oreal the past few months and have been overall very happy with the results.
I don't necessarily blame the product, although I did follow the instructions for root touch-up and colour refresh for my lengths. I think the problem was that my hair was already so light that the product had nothing to lift and so turned blue.
For anyone who has a similar experience, I washed my hair 3 times in a row, conditioned and then completely saturated it in lemon juice. A lot of the blue washed out after shampooing but it was still noticeably grey, so I turned to the lemon juice which oddly helps tone hair colour that is too ash.
This would probably be a great colour for light virgin hair or for somone who has dyed medium-to-dark hair, but ladies who have ultra light coloured tresses already, steer clear!

Popular Hair Color Products