Homemade Vitamin C Serum

4.4

on 5/23/2015 5:05:00 AM

If you don't mind the fact that you will be making little batches of these every few days, the time spent is worth it. Anyway, it only takes about 2 minutes to put together.
Within 2 months, my blotchy, acne-prone skin turned smooth and even-toned. I no longer have to wear foundation. Clogged pores and blemishes rarely surface and I can get away with only concealer under my eyes.

on 5/3/2015 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Ive finally figured out the best DIY C recipe yet for my skin. Very very happy. Ive been using it for a month and my serum has not turned yellow yet.
What i do is I take Cerave moisturizer, and Nuskin Na PCA (ingredients: Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium PCA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fructose, Glycine, Inositol, Lactic Acid, Niacinamide, Urea, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Sodium Lactate, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Benzoate)... I mix these two together with L-ascorbic acid crystals by shaking everything in a Yves Rocher facial serum bottle (a serum i used once and just happened to keep the empty bottle).

The preservatives in the NUSKIN solution keep the vitamin C much longer. I store it in a cool place (my bathroom is always freezing).

I have been complimented on my complexion a lot ever since using this solution. My results have been remarkable. My skin has a really dewy glow to it, and I use it once a day. This works as well if not better than the La Roche Posay C serum that I used to use... And that stuff is fantastic!

Finding the Nuskin stuff was a total game changer. Both the Cerave and the Nuskin are reasonably priced and will last me a very long time for the purpose of making this C serum. I love doing it this way... it doesnt require constantly making new stuff all the time because it lasts! Its super easy. And the Nuskin has everything I need... its got HA, Niacinamide, and Napca. The Cerave has ceramides.
Ive read that niacin and C shouldnt be put together in one serum (because of different PH's, the Niacin will supposedly immediately oxidize the vitamin c (turning it yelllow instantly) rendering both useless)... But honestly, this recipe is working very well for me, and I will keep doing it. The results have been way too good. As I said before, my serum still has not turned yellow and its been a month. Go figure.

on 4/28/2015 10:22:00 AM

I'll join the raves and agree with everyone here that DIY Vit C serum is cheap, easy and I'm liking the results. Most difficult part is getting the PH right. Should be below 3.5 or at 3 to be ideal. Too low and is harsh, too high and doesn't work because won't penetrate the skin. I make 20% formula from a recipe found on reddit and all ingredients together usually end up ph 2, so I raise with a touch of baking soda (and I mean a tiny amount, less than 1/8 tsp) to ph 3. The Lotioncrafter ultra fine Vit C crystals are a must, because otherwise takes forever for the Vitamin C to dissolve, and their PH test strips are cheap and easy. I also bought the NOW glycerin and dark bottle (at Wholefoods). My serum lasts about a week before begins to oxidize.

on 4/22/2015 11:16:00 PM

I started my foray into Vitamin C Serums with the OST/C20 Pure Vitamin C21.5 Advanced Serum - this was after I read rave reviews of their original C20 serum and they had just upgraded the formula to C21.5 (21.5% of Vit C and a non-sticky finish). I LOVED it - it faded my hyperpigmentation spot, and it cleared my acne up. The only downside (and it's a very small one I would say) is that my fingernails turned yellow from the serum (only the fingers that were used to apply). It got better once I made the effort to ensure any residue serum was washed off after application.

I decided to try making my own Vitamin C serum after I ran out of the OST/C20 - making your own is wayyy cheaper and I didn't have to wait 2 weeks to receive my replacement (I can't live without the serum in the mornings now). I have problems dissolving the Vitamin C powder entirely in the distilled water/rose water mixture that I use from Heritage Products. Anyone has tips of how to dissolve it completely without having to stir for an hour straight? I use 1 tsp Vit C with 3 tsp rosewater. I also add some glycerin. The first batch I did, I added too much glycerin and I hated it. Slippery, slimey and my sunblock would just SIT on top of the serum. Not a happy feeling. Half the amount of glycerin later, I'm much happier with the concoction.

Whether this outperforms the OST/C20, only time will tell. I have ordered backups of those (just because it's my Holy Grail and Wishtrend was having some crazy sale), but I do plan to use this home formulation inbetween.

I am thinking of adding Ferulic Acid - does it make any difference or justifiable difference for me to hunt the raw ingredients down? I live in Asia and it may be a tad of a hassle and not to mention expensive.

I just started doing my own DIY Vitamin C Serum, and so far so good! I use a 5% solution with 1/4th vitamin C powder from NOW solutions, 4 tsp distilled water and 3/4 tsp vegetable glycerin, also from NOW Solutions. I also got a few amber glass bottles from The Container Store, which were relatively cheap. I boiled and washed over my bottles, dropper, and measuring spoons with distilled water to get the tap out, and leave it to dry, before dissolving the powder into the water completely. I add the glycerin in last. It's been about 4 days of using this after I wash my face day and night, and my skin is smoother, plumper, and acne scabs peel off faster leaving brand new skin underneath...and that's only with 5%! Tomorrow I will be moving up to 10%, since i haven't experienced any stinging thus far. The only qualm I have is that the serum sort of rolls up or balls up when I rub it onto my face, and it gets all over my fingers. I've remedied that by just tapping it into my skin lightly...that seems to help some. Hopefully when I use less glycerin in the 10%, that won't happen anymore! I will update as I go up in dosage and report back with results when I get to 20%!

Update: I stopped using the solution for a little while (about a week or two) because I went back home and forgot it, then got too lazy to make it lol. I started up on the 10% a few days ago and it didn't sting upon application at all. So far the results are similar to the 5%, my skin is glowy and smooth. I apply twice a day without moisturizing over top (haven't felt the need to). My acne marks are less visible and a lot of redness has faded.

on 4/7/2015 9:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

Edit-scars totally faded (on hands)

Miraculous. Used on my hands and arms (whole body actually) and within 3 days the cooking scars are fading and my hands don't look old and wrinkly. Today is day 4 and I just use the vit c recipe withsome avocado oil or body cream on top - have used oils creams n specific treatments inc glycolic acid n nothing has made my hands look so good. My skin is also improving n there is less milia/bumpiness. Edit I checked the pH of fresh squeezed mandarin juice and it is 3.5 ...does anyone know whether this can be a good replacement for the V it C powder?

on 2/17/2015 1:58:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral

This is the 3rd time I've made the C Serum - I use Kassey's 15% C and Ferulic Acid recipe (found here: http://www.skincaretalk.com/a/15-c-serum-with-tutorial - I omit the Optiphen, the polysorbate 80 and the xantham gum - I like mine thinner, and I just make fresh when it starts to turn)

The only thing I did different this time was I bought some ultrafine LAA from lotioncrafter.com, and it dissolved in less than a minute, as opposed to the "regular" LAA that took literally hours to dissolve! Seriously, if you are going to make this stuff, do yourself a huge favor and get the ultrafine LAA. I even tried putting the regular stuff in the food processor and pulverizing it, and it still didn't work nearly as well as the ultrafine (the food processor was my 2nd attempt - still took forever)

I use this in the AM under my moisturizer - it takes only a moment to sink it, and I don't even know it's there, but it does keep my skin brighter and firmer. And it's mondo cheap, plus you get the thrill of being a mad scientist! :D Love it to death.

on 1/22/2015 2:32:00 PM

Skin: Other, Olive, Not Sure

I cannot believe I am just now hearing about making my own vitamin c serum!!! As soo. As I read all the reviews (and I do mean all of them), I ran out to get some vitamin c powder to whip up a batch as I already had all of the other ingredients. I added carrot seed oil, lavender and geranium essential oils to it and OMG!! I saw a difference after the first use and now 4 days later I cannot believe the difference this has made in my face! At 37, I was getting laugh lines that stayed even after I was done laughing or smiling and they are almost completely gone after 4 days using a 10% serum!! I can't wait to see what happens when I up the dosage in a few weeks!! I will NEVER be without this again!!

on 1/10/2015 4:01:00 PM

I used to buy NuFountain C20, which was very good, but now I've been making my own vitamin C serum for years. I store it in an amber glass bottle in the refrigerator and my recipe remains stable for at least 2 months. Here is my mixture:
3/4 teaspoon ascorbic acid (NOW vitamin C crystals)
2 Tablespoons Thayer's alcohol free witch hazel with aloe
1/4 teaspoon vegetable glycerine (NOW)
Dissolve vitamin C crystals in witch hazel. Must dissolve completely! I usually have to use the end of a spoon to grind the crystals a bit to help it dissolve.
Add glycerine and stir.
Pour into amber glass bottle w/ dropper and store in fridge.
I think the addition of the witch hazel instead of distilled water is what preserves this serum for so long.
Works just as well as nufountain for a fraction of the cost. I can't imagine paying $$$ for Skinceuticals when the ingredients are sooo cheap.

on 1/9/2015 1:50:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

For my DIY C serum, I use l-ascorbic acid powder from Garden of Wisdom with aloe vera juice in a ratio of 4 parts aloe to 1 part powder. I store the mixture in an amber glass dropper bottle and make a fresh batch every 4-5 days.

TBH, the DIY serum does not give me results that are as dramatic as an HE serum such as Skinceuticals.

However the DIY serum is a fraction of the cost. IME, Skinceuticals oxidized before I could get through half of the bottle, which is why I did not repurchase.

I have been using the serum 5 times a week for 3 months and have noticed that my skin tone is more even, acne scars have faded by 50% or more and small sun spots seem lighter in color

Popular Treatments (Face)