Homemade Vitamin C Serum

on 8/18/2015 12:26:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

Unfortunately, I don't think it works for me. I've tried mixing it with water (with various concentrations) and all I got was sticky sensation after it dries.. I put the solution in the spray bottle and spray it on my face after shower. Firstly it stung a bit, then I diluted it more. Stung less, but sticky… I don't see improvement in forehead fine lines or clogged pores...

on 8/18/2015 12:07:00 PM

Well nothing that hast been said before.
I just splash a tiny amount of powder in my left hand. I wet my right hand and throw some tap water on the powder ,I help it dissolve with my fingers and then I massage straight to my face.
I have very sensitive skin and Ive had no reaction.
Upon first application I can say this is one of the best things Ive ever used on my skin and trust me ive used A LOT of homemade stuff,coconut argan neeem...
This will become part of my arsenal it looks as if I have light make up on. better tone,obvious collagen boost,not shiny at all,lighter skin,seems to helo my rosacea and fade freckles.
It has taken 5 or 10 years off my face

on 6/8/2015 2:14:00 PM

Now moved up to 20%. Wished I just used it without the glycerin in the first place. It's taken me 4/weeks to realise this, now I have blackheads on my face because of it. The 20% tingles slightly, but just using it without the glycerin, my face feels less greasy and smooth.

on 6/6/2015 11:06:00 AM

I'm now up to 20% and seriously, where has this been all my life! Wish I had a penny for every buck I've spent on lotions and potions over the years.

Ultimately, I've settled on using Heritage Stores Rosewater & Glycerin as my liquid and that suits my mature, dry, sensitive skin the best.

Big tip is to cover the brown dropper bottle with a double layer of aluminium foil as close to the cape as you can, scrunch it tightly around neck of the bottle and secure the whole thing with a piece of scotch tape.

I find that extends the life of the serum. My bottle is now almost 3 weeks old with no hint of discoloration. I do not refrigerate.

on 5/31/2015 4:31:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool

First off, my review is for DIY Vitamin C Serum with only 3 ingredients. I've only been using it for a few months and am really impressed with the difference it is making in my 60+ mature skin. My skin has gotten brighter and the fine lines are less noticable. I started off with the recipe for 5% vitamin C, and worked my was up to 10% and am now ready to make my first batch of 20%.

Second, I give credit to where I got the recipe. Uppiesbeads59 has a youtube channel that many of you may already be familiar with, but if not, I recommend you check it out. She is fantastic with sharing her knowledge and reserach on skincare products, their ingredients, makeup reviews, and demos. I've learned so much from her and enjoy her videos. Please look her up on youtube if you can. She has her recipe for 5%, 10% , 15%, and 20% vitamin C serum underneath the video (uppiesbeads59 vitamin C serum and a coconut scrub).

The three ingredients used are:
*Vitamin C (L-ascorbic acid), mine is ultrafine from "Making Cosmetics" (online)
*distilled water
*vegetable glycerine

You also can just make it with the powder and distilled water and eliminate the glycerine, but I like the added slip it gives.

She recommends you start out with the lowest (5%) and slowly increase up to 20%, and for that reason, I prefer you check out her site (video) for the amounts in each percentages.

This is a very affordable way to have Vitamin C serum and the results are great.

I keep mine in a 1oz. cobalt blue glass bottle with dropper and make a new batch every couple of weeks.

Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool

This is something that I really hoped would work and be effective. Commercially-produced vitamin C serums are horribly expensive!

Also, once you learn how unstable and short-lived even the best commercial formulas tend to be, this becomes an even more tempting solution. I mean, it makes sense to buy the ingredients yourself and then just whip up a fresh batch every few days or so, right? Plus, vitamin C is supposed to be one of the most beneficial anti-aging ingredients out there.

After reading so many positive reviews, I decided to try making some DIY vitamin C serum myself. I even ordered cosmetics-grade vitamin C powder online (from the vendor that's recommended in the Reddit recipe) as it's supposed to be much easier to dissolve. Bought some glycerin and distilled water as well, and also of course purchased an amber bottle to store the serum correctly.

Unfortunately, even using cosmetics-grade powder, it's actually really hard to get it to dissolve thoroughly. Like, really, really hard. I don't know how you people are doing it, but no matter how much I mixed things together and shook things about, the powder never once fully dissolved in the water but instead kind of drifted about in a little cloudsea of partially dissolved particles. Okay, then. I guess that'll have to do.

Still, I made sure to shake the bottle as hard as possible each time I deposited the solution onto my hands to apply to my face. While my skin is basically bulletproof and doesn't react to *anything* I throw at it, the exception turned out to be this stuff.

So far, I've made two separate batches of 15% solution. And also experienced, yes, two separate incidents where I ended up with major welts somewhere on my face (though most applications were fine). Not zits; just really inflamed areas, like getting bitten by a really mean and potent mosquito. Hurt like hell. My skin recovered quickly enough both times but still...I can't say for sure exactly what happened, but I'm guessing that the powder was more concentrated during the two times I had reactions even with all of my efforts to dissolve it.

I've used commercial vitamin C serums before with zero ill effects, so I don't think I'm particularly sensitive to the stuff; I just don't think that the DIY method is as safe as it's made out to be, at least for this particular ingredient. I also didn't see any skincare benefits, objectively-speaking, even when I didn't experience any reactions (which was the majority of the time).

So many positive reviews and I feel like a weird outlier, but I also can't help but wonder if people are hesitant to share less than stellar outcomes. For now, I'm not going to make it anymore, unless someone comes up with a truly bulletproof, safe and effective recipe (and by "effective", I mean I'm gonna need more science to back up the claims of effectiveness for the DIY version). Either that, or I'm just going to sit tight and wait for the Skinceuticals patent to expire, after which hopefully the market will be flooded with much cheaper commercial dupes.

NOTE: Someone suggested using boiling-hot water to dissolve the powder into the base; unfortunately, vitamin C is very temperature-sensitive and is destroyed by heat (and oxygen, and who knows what else, really).

EDIT 7.23.2015: I'm giving the homemade DIY thing one last shot. This time I mixed the powder (cosmetics-grade, remember! and extremely fine) with more distilled water, so a 10% solution overall. No glycerin in the mix in case that was an issue the first couple of times. So far so good in terms of not getting an acid burn; time will tell if this will actually be effective. So far no Vitamin C product has ever made much of a difference, but I have all the ingredients and materials so why not?

Slightly skeptical; cautiously optimistic. For this go 'round, I actually have a freckle thing that recently showed up on my cheek and will decide whether or not this is effective on the basis of whether or not it goes away. I still maintain an overall POV that this stuff isn't as easy or safe as it's made out to be and should be approached carefully and cautiously, but still. Said I wasn't gonna give it another go but here I am not learning my lesson, apparently. :/ Ha!

on 5/27/2015 1:55:00 AM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

For those having problems getting their vitamin C powder to dissolve: I use the reddit recipe other reviewers have refererenced, the one attached to an essay about Vitamin C and links to places to purchase items. As I am in Europe, however, I just use the next available LAA vitamin C powder I can get over the counter, which is intended for consumption and has really, really huge, not at all finely ground crystals.

In order to get it to dissolve completely and in this lifetime, I simply boil my distilled water immediately before mixing it into the powder. This seems to have no ill effect on the lifespan of the serum I make. I put the powder in a glass bowl (I have made from 5-20% this way), pour the freshly boiled and measured water in, mix with a plastic spoon, pour that into my amber bottle when everything is dissolved, and then add glycerin and one vitamin E pill into the bottle as well and give it a good shake.

It still takes a lot of stirring to get the powder to dissolve, but with the boiling hot water, it does dissolve completely, in about 3-5 minutes maximum. Hope this helps someone!

on 5/23/2015 5:05:00 AM

If you don't mind the fact that you will be making little batches of these every few days, the time spent is worth it. Anyway, it only takes about 2 minutes to put together.
Within 2 months, my blotchy, acne-prone skin turned smooth and even-toned. I no longer have to wear foundation. Clogged pores and blemishes rarely surface and I can get away with only concealer under my eyes.

on 5/3/2015 9:07:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Medium, Neutral

Ive finally figured out the best DIY C recipe yet for my skin. Very very happy. Ive been using it for a month and my serum has not turned yellow yet.
What i do is I take Cerave moisturizer, and Nuskin Na PCA (ingredients: Water (Aqua), Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Sodium PCA, Sodium Hyaluronate, Fructose, Glycine, Inositol, Lactic Acid, Niacinamide, Urea, PPG-5-Ceteth-20, Sodium Lactate, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Phenoxyethanol, Chlorphenesin, Sodium Benzoate)... I mix these two together with L-ascorbic acid crystals by shaking everything in a Yves Rocher facial serum bottle (a serum i used once and just happened to keep the empty bottle).

The preservatives in the NUSKIN solution keep the vitamin C much longer. I store it in a cool place (my bathroom is always freezing).

I have been complimented on my complexion a lot ever since using this solution. My results have been remarkable. My skin has a really dewy glow to it, and I use it once a day. This works as well if not better than the La Roche Posay C serum that I used to use... And that stuff is fantastic!

Finding the Nuskin stuff was a total game changer. Both the Cerave and the Nuskin are reasonably priced and will last me a very long time for the purpose of making this C serum. I love doing it this way... it doesnt require constantly making new stuff all the time because it lasts! Its super easy. And the Nuskin has everything I need... its got HA, Niacinamide, and Napca. The Cerave has ceramides.
Ive read that niacin and C shouldnt be put together in one serum (because of different PH's, the Niacin will supposedly immediately oxidize the vitamin c (turning it yelllow instantly) rendering both useless)... But honestly, this recipe is working very well for me, and I will keep doing it. The results have been way too good. As I said before, my serum still has not turned yellow and its been a month. Go figure.

on 4/28/2015 10:22:00 AM

I'll join the raves and agree with everyone here that DIY Vit C serum is cheap, easy and I'm liking the results. Most difficult part is getting the PH right. Should be below 3.5 or at 3 to be ideal. Too low and is harsh, too high and doesn't work because won't penetrate the skin. I make 20% formula from a recipe found on reddit and all ingredients together usually end up ph 2, so I raise with a touch of baking soda (and I mean a tiny amount, less than 1/8 tsp) to ph 3. The Lotioncrafter ultra fine Vit C crystals are a must, because otherwise takes forever for the Vitamin C to dissolve, and their PH test strips are cheap and easy. I also bought the NOW glycerin and dark bottle (at Wholefoods). My serum lasts about a week before begins to oxidize.

Popular Treatments (Face)