December 18, 2014 | 1230 users online

Misc Beauty Tools - Shu Uemura - Eyelash Curler

rated 4 of 5 on 12/8/2014 5:53:00 AM More reviews by archt_marj14

I used to really love this. It fit my Asian eyes perfectly & consistently produced natural curls. However, after a year, the curler itself doesn't work as well anymore, & SU don't sell refill silicone pads. I find it ridiculous to have to pay 1000+ PhP every 6months or year for a new eyelash curler, & that is why I defected to Shiseido.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2014 12:34:00 PM More reviews by meglovesbeauty

Firstly I am marking the price with 4 lippies because even with my 10% off voucher for Selfridges I still half died paying for these!

I've never really cared for lash curlers before now. I naturally have pretty good lashes that have a good curl and good length!

I don't know what happened but I started to wonder if whether I was really getting the best out of my mascaras if I wasn't prepping my lashes properly and maybe if I purchased lash curlers mascaras that hadn't previously worked might perform better if my lashes were curled.

I've heard so many rants and raves about the s/u lash curlers and just went for it! (despite the devastating price tag)

So so so glad I have these now and wouldn't be without them! They improve the performance of my mascaras and I find even the cheapest/most basic of mascaras work 10x better when I use these lash curlers beforehand! My curl holds near enough all day (give or take depending on the mascara I'm wearing that day) and my eyes look so much more open!

I also love that you get an extra one of the the rubber things that help you to squeeze the lashes and my mum often complains about her curlers becoming less effective when this rubber part loses it's bounce so I know it makes a difference!

I honestly couldn't believe the difference these made and if you're like me and don't feel you need them then please re think because my eyelashes look 100% better when I've used these! (Although I don't necessarily recommend spending 20, Boots/Superdrug actually stock a surprising amount of different branded curlers!)

rated 1 of 5 on 12/5/2014 5:11:00 PM More reviews by naicha

Major disappointment - I was so excited to try this but it hardly curls my lashes! Maybe it is due to the fact that I have deep-set eyes but I find the Shu's really hard to get close to my lashline and even after much fiddling I cannot seem to get a good curl. I'm much happier with my Tweezerman's and really don't get the hype...

rated 3 of 5 on 11/21/2014 2:52:00 AM More reviews by KrystineVu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

So Ive heard tons of positive reviews about this eyelash curler, and decided that I must have one on my makeup bag. It obviously hold the curl for a long time (around 4 hours for my Asian eyelashes), but if you wanna make sure that the curl looks perfect, bring it with you cos you might need some touch-ups during the day. The thing I hate about this eyelash curler is that it pinches my eyes everytime I use it (which I thought never happens with such an expensive one), so Im thinking of trying some other ones from Shiseido and Lancome.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/18/2014 11:46:00 PM More reviews by MsEllieJellyBelly

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

This eyelash curler does an amazing job of curling my straight, Asian eyelashes without my putting too much effort into it. I swipe one coat of Waterproof Maybelline Falsies on afterward and my lashes stay curled all day! I've had it for a couple of months now and I haven't needed to change the pad and haven't seen the spring get weaker either. Even on a day when I don't put on makeup, I use this curler to open up my eyes as it's become a wonderful necessity!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/10/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by Heechul

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Black

So far, I've been using this for a few years and I have repurchased it every 2 years or so due to the spring slowly not working as well as it did in the beginning... I also replace the pads every so often.

As a person who doesn't put much impact on her lashes (aka limp asian lashes, and I do not care for mascara.) I simply curl for the sole purpose of putting on a weak coat of mascara so that it can blend in with my false lashes.

This is my go-to as it does not pinch my lids, and never crimped off my lashes, and I find that important for me to return to this. Also, I have tried the S-curler and do not care for it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2014 12:06:00 AM More reviews by swtlitchi

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Dry, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Each person will find individual curlers/brands better than others depending on their eye shape, and I have found that the Shu Uemura and the Shiseido curlers are the best for my wimpy and short Asian lashes. Although I am Chinese, I do not have a mono lid, but I do have a hooded eye where my crease is very close to my lash line. Most of the time I will wear mascara, but won't see much of my lashes because they are short and don't curl upwards, or are curled, but the hooded lid kind of pushes them back down. The Shu curler is great for the shape of my eyes- it's a bit flatter in the curve so it is good to catch the small lashes at the sides of my lids. I think you can accidentally pinch the skin with any curler, so I don't particularly blame the curler if I occasionally catch my skin- it's about angling the curler in the right part of the socket before compressing the handles together.

The curler is made of two parts: the metal frame, and a removable/disposable rubber pad. There is an additional pad included, and there is a suggested wear time for both the pad and the curler itself. Apparently the curler will lose some of it's effectiveness over time becuase of the amount that you compress it. I have not replaced mine (it's been like 4 to 5 years), but I suppose I should be...??? Anyways, I still enjoy this curler and think it is worth the investment even though there are no longer any Shu Uemura stores or counters in the US.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2014 11:59:00 PM More reviews by wenyuzhang88

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This is the only eyelash curler I have ever owned. I've had the same one for a little over eight years now (!!!) and it has worked flawlessly all this time.

I think I read somewhere that this curler is specially designed for East Asian eyes and thus works fantastically on lashes like mine. Don't quote me on it though.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/26/2014 1:41:00 AM More reviews by iBrowse

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

My first and only eyelash curler, it is definitely my HG. It curls beautifully and the design is minimal and sleek.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/19/2014 12:28:00 AM More reviews by Griffin13

I was so excited to purchase this however it has not worked out and I am Very surprised/confused. I have never had an issue with even cheap lash curlers and was hoping for an upgrade. I have used it four or five times and each time I find that it curls Less than my cheap revlon curler which I had previously thought was useless.
I have fairly long (when curled they can hit my eyebrows), dark, think, lashes but am always looking for something with a dramatic, long lasting curl. I have been curling my lashes for as long I can remember and am by no means shy when using them. On two occasions it seemed like it didn't do anything at all and definitely misses my outer lashes every time. I understand that mascara plays a significant role in the curling process however the mascara is the same, the curler is not. I have watched tutorials to make sure i'm not missing something.. not sure what went wrong here but I am so disappointed I am taking this back ASAP.

Update,
This curler is great for ladies looking for a "natural subtle curl." Im guessing the sales associate completely misunderstood me when I said I wanted to look like I was wearing falsies all the time.. Now using the general sephora curler and am Much happier.