October 21, 2014 | 2025 users online

Styling Products - DevaCurl - Set It Free

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 8:39:00 PM More reviews by RailRoad

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My overall rating is based on the actual performance of the product. It is perfect for my fine, thick, wavy, naturally dark blonde hair. It gives it great waves without making it stiff or sticky. I only wash my hair once a week so I won't put any products in it that make it hard to comb out.
I wash my hair, let it dry naturally and then spray this all over. I only need to comb my hair each morning and spray enough water on it to refresh the curl. Scrunch and go.
The price is a bit much but it ends up not being too expensive because of the.....
Packaging - this stuff is too thick for a spray bottle. So even though it gets low marks for its packaging being wrong for the product it does make the product cheaper for me. I fill my mister bottle half full with this and the rest with water. It makes the product perfect and the price not so bad.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2014 12:16:00 AM More reviews by GirlyRunnerGirl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I love this product. Great moisture and curl enhancer. I condition my 2c hair and rinse, boot with a t shirt and then apply this. Afterwards I scrunch some of the devacurl orange colored gel (firm hold). I either air dry or use a diffuser if necessary to not have wet hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/10/2013 5:44:00 PM More reviews by NeatoBandito

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've purchased Set it Free over and over again. Sometimes I try new things, but I always end up coming back to this product. Instead of spraying directly on my hair (which I've heard can make the hair greasy), I spray 1-2 pumps into my palm and then apply to my hair and follow with Angell. I've been using this for about 5 years now, and each bottle lasts a long time.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2013 10:31:00 PM More reviews by Caramellane

Set it free works really well for my 2b coarse, frizz prone hair. Styling is easy, I just let hair air dry until slightly damp (usually avoiding blow drying altogether) then divide hair in two sections and spray each side 1-3x (I adjust amount based on hair length) and scrunch hair to encourage waves. What sets this product apart is the fact that it does not make hair look wet or crispy and it feels soft still, altough a tiny bit tacky. I find that hair is not weighed down and retains wave for a couple days, I just re-spritz hair with water on 2nd day to refresh wave pattern. Other products i've tried are recoil cream (too crispy and weighed hair down) alterna beach waves (way too sticky) devacurl light defining gel (not sure this did anything at all). On very humid days I use a pea sized amount of DevaCurl curling cream underneath set it free.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/27/2012 1:35:00 PM More reviews by MelissaMH

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

It took some experimentation on my part to learn how to use this product right, and for my fine but plentiful Botticelli curls, Set it Free is best used on wet hair, right after I've applied AnGel styling gel. No frizz!

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 4/2/2012 10:19:00 AM More reviews by gingercurls

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have tried to love this product, but I can't. No matter how I use it, I always end up with sticky hair. The smell is nice but it makes my hair frizzy and stringy.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 3/18/2012 1:27:00 PM More reviews by 1017

Beeswax is listed as one of the ingredients...no wonder my very, very fine waves just get drowned in this hot mess. 1017 - Don't fall for the Deva Curl hype again!!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 1/27/2012 11:13:00 PM More reviews by Shibbydoo322

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oh how I love Set it Free. It can do no wrong in my hair. I use it on wet hair to combat frizz and dryness, and it also curl enhances slightly. I love it best on dry hair after I SOTC. I spray 2 squirts into my hand and scrunch it in. I get beautiful, soft, bouncy ringlets. I also like it for 2nd day hair. It smells so good, like Skittles in a bottle, and it makes my hair smell good too. One thing I dont like is that it makes my hands sticky, but I can always just wash them after I apply it. This stuff is great; the travel sized bottle I got is great to sample the product at a reasonable price, and perfect size for throwing in my bag! Any curly who has 2c/3a normal porosity/medium thickness/normal to fine hair should give this a try!

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/21/2011 7:47:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

After my beloved Ojon Revitalizing Mist got DC'd, I've been on the hunt for my next HG conditioning spray. I've definitely found it in DevaCurl's Set It Free! Besides providing moisture and taming frizz/fuzz it also provides some light hold. I'm grateful for that as I try to keep my hair as natural as possible with as little product as possible. I took off a star since the smell is like really sweet candy and gives me a headache, and takes a while to dissipate. Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/8/2011 9:13:00 PM More reviews by Tovah

Age: 44-55 Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm Hair: Red, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

There's nothing I don't love about this spray! It provides texture, definition, hold, and, best of all, moisture. It's been around 105 degrees the last few days. Without product, my hair is so parched it would be panting if it had lungs. The straw-like frizz is bad enough, but my hair always decides to stick out in all directions, too, so I sport a sort of modified blend of Tuna-Turner-1985 and Einstein. I've been spraying this on my completely dried hair and sometimes I swear I can hear the strands slurping and gulping. Set It Free instantly softens my hair and turns the frazzled strands into curls and waves. My hair seems to drink it throughout the day, and it's really incredible how soft it stays. I've had dry hair my entire life and I never imagined my hair could feel so soft, and be free of fried and split ends. There are days when I use a LOT of this throughout the day to keep the moisture up and the frizz down, but it has yet to flatten my hair or feel heavy. Maybe when my hair gets healthier this will change, but Set It Free is perfect, at this stage, during these hot dry days. It smells lightly of sweet lime, similar to the scent in One Condition. I like the scent, but I notice it only when I'm spraying the product on my hair. I haven't smelled it on my hair or around my head, (but I would enjoy it if I did.) My hair has never held the scent of any products or fragrances, though, so I'm the last person fit to comment on whether or not the scent is bothersome. I just LOVE this product. It's one of the best, if not the best, I've ever had for my hair.