December 19, 2014 | 1472 users online

Lip Treatments - Badger - Badger SPF15 Sunblock Lip Balm

rated 2 of 5 on 1/30/2012 4:32:00 PM More reviews by Snowblind

I tried my best to like this product but to no avail. It's white. It's very very white. And it gets stuck on every tiny bit of dry skin on your lips which makes the color of your skin white and uneven. And if that wasn't enough the consistency of the stick is so weird that it seems to break into pieces while you rub it on your lips leaving bits everywhere.

As a guy, I really wouldn't like to use lip color to hide the whiteness and neither would I like everyone to see that I'm wearing something on my lips so this product is useless for me. Besides I haven't found it very moisturizing the few times I've used it.

Too bad, since it's so hard to find a safe sunscreen on your lips. All the ones I've seen are packed with petrochemicals or silicone. I don't want that stuff around my mouth since one always digests a bit of his lip product while eating or drinking. The search continues...

Two lippies instead of one because I respect the company and what they're trying to do. Safe and natural products at a low price.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2011 2:00:00 AM More reviews by sparkleandshine79

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This was the least favorite thing I've bought from Badger. I didn't really like the consistency. It didn't seem to go on as smooth as I would have liked, and of course my lips looked kinda white. I might try it one more time down the road and see if I still feel the same.

rated 4 of 5 on 3/29/2011 6:26:00 PM More reviews by jenjen86

Yes, it turns your lips white, but that's to be expected from a physical sunscreen. For the me, the most important thing is the outstanding broad-spectrum protection this gives. Also, to prevent the whiteness, you can fill in your lips with a lip liner close to your natural lip color, then put this balm on top.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/29/2010 9:34:00 AM More reviews by mondrew

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I thought this lip balm was ok. Doesn't moisturize, I have to put on a regular lip balm first before applying this otherwise my lips look all flaky. This does whiten the lips but as I'm pale it doesn't really bother me. Has a definite sunscreen smell to it which might bother some people but it isn't too strong. I would only buy it again if I can't find something better.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 9/6/2010 5:29:00 AM More reviews by luloo

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Other

Way too white, and I heard it was whitening, but what it did was emphasize every single tiny bit of dry skin on my lips, making those areas look white, so it made me look like I had white chunks on my lips. Really just awful.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 6/30/2010 6:21:00 PM More reviews by gingerrama

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Other, Fine Eyes: Green

Well, I used to loathe this stuff with a passion, but count me--if not a convert, at least much happier.

The formula may have improved since I last used this a few years back. The unscented version now has no discernible scent, the zinc taste lessened, the white cast still there but diminished. I wouldn't wear this on its own but it's very good over a moisturising balm (Weleda), with lipstick on top.

Comparisons: A better finish and better protection than my other usual, Vanicream, and decidedly better than the invisible but lemony and greasy JI Lip Drink (but I do like JI's SPF lip colours, though). UV Naturals is preferable for feel and finish (moister, less white) and protection (30 with nearly double the %age of ZnO).

I'd buy again; not love--call this a 3.44 rounded down to a 3...

Active: 12.5% zinc oxide.

Costs around USD3.00-5.00; available in health-food stores and online; cruelty-free but not vegan (beeswax).

INGREDIENTS: ACTIVE INGREDIENT: zinc oxide 12.5%
OTHER INGREDIENTS: extra virgin olive oil, beeswax, jojoba oil, castor oil, cocoa butter, shea butter, rosemary extract, seabuckthorn berry extract continued >>

rated 3 of 5 on 1/12/2010 11:59:00 PM More reviews by turquoiserose

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I haven't really used this much, but I have used this a few times. I noticed too how it makes your lips look kinda white. It looks weird. I might try it again this summer, and see if I change my mind. I don't think I'll buy it again though. Sorry Badger, just not feeling it.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 10/19/2009 9:10:00 PM More reviews by stanzi

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really should have read some reviews before I picked this up. Yes, it's natural and has physical sunblock. BUT BUT BUT. It leaves a thick white coat on my lips; even if I apply it sparingly, and rub it in with my finger, my mouth still looks bluish-pink and this weird "base" throws off the color of the lipstick I'm wearing. Drat. I should have just bought another Jane Iredale Lip Drink, despite the cost.

rated 2 of 5 on 7/5/2009 7:58:00 PM More reviews by kelticmaddox

I really wanted to like this balm. An all natural lip balm with natural spf 15 sunscreen for under $4? Sign me up! But this balm really doesn't quite do it for me.

The cons: My biggest problem with this is the horrible white cast it leaves on my lips. This is caused by the solo sunscreen ingredient, 12.5% Zinc Oxide. The Zinc Oxide also makes the balm smell and taste like zinc, which is not pleasent (as anyone who has tasted an oral zinc supplement will know.)

Now you may experience different whitening effects if you have different lip pigmentation than I do, but my lips aren't really that pigmented, and it still shows up pretty badly. It also changes the color of any lipstick or lipgloss you have on when you put this on top of it. Not good.

The pros: This balm really is 100% natural! There are no mineral oils, parabens, pthalates, silicones, etc. Extra Virgin Olive Oil, beeswax, Organic Cocoa Butter and Organic Jojoba oil are the first ingredients in the inactive ingredient list. There are no artificial fragrances, and it attempts to mask the zinc smell with Lavender, Ylang Ylang, Lime and Orange.
Its a pretty thick balm, and it seems to be moisturizing. The thickness is kind of a negative however, because it left some chunks on my lips that I had to smooth out with my finger. I like balms that are swipe and go.

The fact that this balm has a natural, broad spectrum sunscreen is great. So many sunscreens today are chemcial, and it can be hard to find lip balms that have all natural sunscreens in them. This balm is also supposed to be water resistant, but I have not tested this personally.
Badger also does not test on animals.

I put this balm over top of MAC's Prep and Prime lip and underneath a bright lipstick, and it did not seem to hinder the staying power of the lipstick. Wearing this balm underneath a lipstick or gloss is probably the only way I'll be able to wear it, because of the white cast it leaves.

Bottom line is that Badger really needs to play with a different formula. Perhaps they need to lessen the Zinc Oxide and add in some Titanium Dioxide. Something needs to be done because this balm is not pleasent to wear. It might be good for your lips with all the natural butters, oils and sunscreen, but it tastes and looks nasty.

I would only reccomend this balm for someone who wants something to wear underneath pigmented lipstick and lipgloss. Or if you happen to not mind your lips looking frosty and white-ish.

Overall grade for this product is a C. Its moisturizing abilities and natural ingredients keep it from getting an F.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/30/2008 9:30:00 AM More reviews by Atrox

Pros: Very nice smell to me, natural brand, spf, goes on easily.

Cons: Makes my lips dry out some. I've only had that with one other brand (Everyday Minerals lip gloss- although I like their powders).