Shiseido Majolica Majorca Lash Expander

4.3

11-12 Isoparaffin, Dextrin Palmitate, Cyclomethicone, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Disteardimonium Hectorite, CI 77449, Polymethylsilsesquioxane, Sucrose Tetrastearate Triacetate, Microcrystalline Wax, PEG-10 Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Water, Sucrose Tetrastearate, PEG-20 Hydrogenated Castor Oil Triisostearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Dextrin Palmitate/Ethylhexanoate, Hydrogenated Polyisobutene, Trimethylsiloxysilylcarbamoyl Pullulan, Triethoxycaprylylsilane, Tocopheryl Acetate, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Tocopherol.

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I love this mascara! My lashes are like my hair -- fine, thin, blonde, can't hold a curl -- so I tend to have to go for the crazy, make-your-lashes-look-fake mascaras to look even halfway decent. I heard that this mascara was so intense that it was too much for an everyday look, so I thought it would do nicely.

I bought my mascara from Amazon for $15 and it arrived in a week or so. I really like the packaging -- simple, but cute. I immediately curled my lashes and tried it. The brush is more like a comb -- hard plastic, curved on one edge and straight on the other. I'm sure the instructions specified which order to use these in, but as I don't read Japanese, I tried it both ways and ultimately decided I like to use the longer curved edge initially and the shorter straight edge second.

The formula was initially rather watery, but it has since dried up. I love the fact that the fibers are inside the mascara rather than included as a second step. It does take a bit more time and care to comb through your lashes and make sure the fibers are lined up / non-clumpy, but as long as I'm careful, I haven't had a problem with clumping. And my eyelashes get so impressive! Because of the aforementioned short/blonde/non-curly eyelashes I have, they don't look like fake eyelashes on me (I did, however, try this on my extremely patient boyfriend [who has super long amazing eyelashes that I'm definitely not jealous of] and they ABSOLUTELY looked like fake eyelashes in the best way). But they look good on me! In fact, if I'm doing a low-makeup look, I usually use this mascara without curling my lashes -- you can tell there's mascara, but it doesn't look out of place even without eyeliner. And it STAYS ON. Seriously, not the tiniest little flake or smudge, and I'm awful about touching my eyes. I've worn this through sweat and humidity and rainstorms, and it does not budge.

Removal is about the same as any other waterproof mascara -- a pain, but doable. I first use a cleansing oil, usually baby oil or apricot oil, to get off as much as I can. Then, I wash my face with La Roche-Posay DermoCleanser, which, despite being the gentlest cleanser I've ever used and usually doing nothing for eye makeup, seems to get off more of the mascara than the oil. When I wear this, I just accept that it will take maybe 24 hours to completely remove. I just keep a cotton round nearby to remove whatever smudges under my eyes as I cleanse and apply moisturizers, etc.

Overall: HIGHLY recommend. I'm the kind of person who can barely tell the difference between drugstore and high-end mascaras, and this is easily and by far the best I've ever used.

Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure

I have straight stubborn Asian eyelashes. I heard that this product was great so i bought it. It does not hold the curl of my eyelashes at all. It does lengthen it, but you dont notice because my eyelashes go straight down. I left it for a month just like other reviews said and it still did not work. This mascara really frustrated me. The most annoying part about it is that it will make my eyelashes go straight down even if i use it with another very strong mascara. This mascara annoys me so much. But it does have a pretty packaging.

on 6/6/2015 10:34:00 PM

I'm a mascara hoarder. I have non existent short, straight, Asian eyelashes. I've been looking for my ideal mascara for years. I usually use waterproof to hold my curled lashes. I've tried expensive and drugstore. I stumbled upon this on Amazon and I fell in love! It holds curl, lengthens, and volumizes. It's truly amazing. My only wish is that it was easier to find in Canada. My search is over!

on 5/3/2015 4:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I was fortunate enough to be in Tokyo this March. I haven't been back in 15 years! The first thing I did was hoard all kinds of make up from the drugstore. I bought close to 15 different mascaras and one of them was this. It's hard to choose when you're in the drugstore since everything is in Japanese so I had to rely on good reviews I found online. I'm a fan of fiber mascaras and my go to is Kevyn Aucoin. Over the years I feel like they've changed the formula though. So I'm in the hunt for the next best thing.

This mascara is definitely rich with fibers but it's a very wet formula you need to work quick and carefully coz too much of it will cause your mascara to clump. I curled my lashes before putting the product and I feel like it didn't hold the curl as much. I've been trying a lot of other Japanese mascara and this one is pretty sensitive on the eyes. What I loved best is the brush that comes with it. I loved using the flat comb like brush better than the curved one. Second, it will stay put until you take it out. No raccoon eyes or any sort of smudging whatsoever. Be sure to have an oil based make up remover coz the normal make up removers won't do. Believe me I know coz I tried.

Pro: staying power is awesome! Ones you master how to apply properly, makes lashes look long, the brush is a great tool for separating lashes.
Cons: formula too wet, prone to clumping, doesn't hold curl as much as I want it to

The only reason why I wouldn't be purchasing this one again is because I was able to find another Japanese mascara brand that I liked better but maybe if I tried this first I would give this a higher review. To me the 24 hour 1 day tattoo mascara by K-palette is so much better.

on 1/18/2015 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse

Wow! First mascara that has made my eyes look so dramatic! Definitely not for everyday use. I purchased this on recommendation from the salesperson in Tokyo, it was her favorite mascara. I never wear waterproof, but I decided to give it a whirl. Just like waterproof mascaras, it stays put and no smudging or panda eyes. The formula is very dark. Usually people can't tell when I wear mascara, but this is as close as falsies using a mascara that I'll ever get.

on 5/31/2014 7:24:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

My review is for the Edge Meister. This is the ultimate mascara for short sparse lashes.
If you want natural looking longer lashes, just apply this mascara solely but only for a layer or two as it does have a tendency to clump. Good thing about this mascara is that it holds the curl of eyelashes curled by an eyelash curler, unlike other mascaras that tend to flatten the curled lashes.
For extra volume, add a coat of a volumizing mascara on top of this mascara as this mascara does not give excellent dramatic volume to your lashes. This is a trick I learned from StyleSuzi from YouTube and it works like a charm. For most days, I find that just coating my lashes with this mascara is enough as I opt for a more natural look.

on 1/31/2014 10:26:00 PM

I love this mascara. this is definitely my HG. I have short and straight lashes to begin with so lengthening and waterproof mascara is a big must for me. I bought this because i've heard sooo many good reviews about it so I bought it and I fell in love with this mascara.

First, It lengthens my lashes like no other, I don't even have to use falsies. It contains fibers in it so when you apply this mascara the fibers will stick to your lashes and make them super long that sometimes my lashes can reach my brow. It's not super volumizing though, but i don't really care since I'm just fine with only long lashes.

Second, the formula of this mascara is just like the best. It's super waterproof and smudge proof! I never ever get pandas eyes whenever I use this mascara (and i do have oily lids and i also rub my eyes so much) It also holds the curl like no other. My lashes always still look amazing and perfectly curl and long at the end of the day. The mascara is not super wet too which is great because wet mascaras tend to weight down the lashes and uncurl them (like fiberwig), but it's not super thick that it clumps your lashes.

Third, the brush of this mascara is really nice. It's not too big so it doesn't get into everywhere when you apply you mascara. It is really easy to apply on the bottom lashes too. The brush itself has like 2 parts. Both look like a comb but the other one is neater. So you're supposed to use the straight comb-like brush first to get the product to your lashes and then use the curved neater brush to really separate the lashes. I like the idea of the brush so much. It makes your lashes super super long without makes them clump. The brush also allows you to get every single lashes and also add more lengths to the end of the lashes.

Fourth, the packaging of this mascara is super gorgeous. It looks super expensive and luxurious. It also has the right size so you always can put in on your purse. Although the packaging is super nice, it's super affordable. It's around 20$, maybe it's not super cheap but the other top mascaras (such as dior, ysl, lancome) cost super super expensive and plus you can use this mascara like forever. I have mine over maybe 2 years (I don't use it everyday though) now and it's still pretty good although it starts to get easily clumpy( and yes i'm about to buy another one now).

The only bad side of this mascara is it takes FOREVER to remove. You have to use a really strong eye makeup remover to take this off unless it won't budge. To remove it, I usually soak my cotton pad with eye makeup remover and then place it on my eyes for 15-20 seconds and then rub it a bit (I know i'm supposed to remove my eye makeup very gently but this mascara is a bad girl) until the mascara comes off and then remove the leftover mascara with my sherbet type cleanser (banilla co clean it zero, this stuff is AMAZING, i also use this to remove my base makeup) and then wash it off.

Seriously, give this mascara a try, you will fall hard!!:):)~

on 1/12/2014 3:55:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

I keep coming back to this mascara time and time again. I use mostly luxury brand mascaras, but being from Shiseido's affordable line, I think this one can stand next to the rest of them. It's very waterproof which works wonders for my thin, straight, and naturally downward pointing lashes. It adds an amazing amount of length and volumes well. This is very affordable for the results you can achieve. Highly recommend. It's one of my favorites despite not being as easily accessible.

on 9/18/2013 12:43:00 PM

This is the review for the Lash Expander Edge Meister. This is my first foray into Majolica Majorca mascaras. I have thin, short, sparse, straight asian lashes.

It has a plastic paddle type applicator. One side is flat, and the other side is curved. There are grooves on both side to apply the mascara. Its definitely a bit tricky to use this applicator if you're used to a regular bristle brush, or even the ones with plastic bristles. I find it a bit tricky to apply especially to the corner lashes. It can clump somes lashes together, so it takes a bit of time to brush out the lashes and to get the fibers where you want them. I definitely find the fibers are long and so it can be quite lengthening. It also holds a curl all day long and is waterproof and smudgeproof. It isn't very volumizing but you can layer on another volumizing mascara after this has dried.

I got this off ebay for 16$ which to me is a reasonable price. Packaging is nice. I particularly like the cap which has a little engraved gold decoration.

The one con about this is that it flakes. I will see the odd fiber on my cheek during the day every so often which I didn't notice with my Kiss Me Heroine Make Long and Curl mascara (which I also recommend).

I don't have trouble removing this mascara as others have expressed. Currently I'm using a Shu Uemura cleansing oil and it comes right off. I apply it with a mascara remover so that it really gets between the lashes. You can make your own mascara remover by taking an old tube of mascara and cleaning it out and filing it up with an oil cleanser.

on 8/17/2013 4:35:00 PM

This is the best mascara for short lashes that just don't want to hold a curl. I've been using this mascara for as long as I can remember (more than 10 years I believe). I buy so many mascaras on a regular basis, but I always go back to this one because nothing else is comparable. I must have repurchased dozens of these. I've also recommended this mascara to my friends, who have also loved it as much as I have.

The mascara wand is a comb-like brush, so it really coats each of my lashes completely. It lengthens them with tiny little fibers, but doesn't do much in terms of volume. If you try to layer it too much, it can become quite clumpy. I usually apply at most 2 layers. I have also found that the tiny fibers sometimes come off and get stuck in my eye or on my face. It is a fairly dry formula, which means that it doesn't weigh down my lashes and they stay curled all day. It is very waterproof (I've showered with this mascara on and it doesn't budge), so make sure you have a good waterproof makeup remover. .

Finally, the price. Unless you live in Asia, this mascara is going to be very expensive. I buy a ton of these every time I go to Hong Kong, and I believe they're about $15 usd there, which is pretty reasonable for a higher end mascara. There are tons of sellers online, but I really wouldn't trust them unless you're buying from a retailer.

Top Rated Shiseido Products