Dr. Bronner's Liquid Soap - All Scents

4.4

Not tested on animals

on 6/27/2015 11:22:00 AM

HG Brush cleaner! I just use a small drop of this in a cup with water and dunk my brushes in it, then rinse it clean. I usually have to do a double dunk/clean for foundation/beauty blender. I haven't tried this as a face or anything else as I feel it's way too harsh. My fav scents are: lavender, peppermint and rose<3

Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral

I recently bought a small trial size of the Peppermint Castille soap. This soap has been really making the rounds within the beauty community, hailed to be a workhorse and claiming to work for numerous things - laundry detergent, shaving, shampoo, face cleanser, degreaser etc etc! So I decided to give it a whirl primarily in the bath, as my shampoo, face cleanser and leg-shaving. I'm not sure if it's just me, but the mentha in this soap is much too strong for me. It left a slight burning sensation on my skin. I know that menthol is very cooling, but this was just so strong! I know that the directions say to dilute this with water, but since I was in the bath I was applying a small amount either with my hands, or a very wet bath sponge.

I also found it to be very drying, which is surprising since many of the ingredients are oils. Other than that, it lathered nicely and I liked the feel of it, though the watery-substance takes some getting used to. I may try this in the laundry, or maybe as a house hold cleaner for floors, but I am not putting it on my skin ever again. I know that there are a lot of Dr. Bronner's varieties out there, but for the price, the packaging, and the amount of work you have to do just to make it function normally, I'm not sure it's worth it for my specific needs.

on 6/20/2015 11:00:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse

I tried to use the unscented version of this as a makeup remover after hearing lots of people do the same, and this stuff was horrible for that! I have extremely oily skin and somehow this gave my skin an extremely tight, stripped feeling. I wanted to love this, and I'm sure it has many great uses, but makeup removal is not one of them!

I have tried the lavender and rose soaps as face wash, shampoo and hand soap diluted to a 1T/8oz of water, and this is just too drying. I cut the soap even more and then the product doesn't lather. I couldn't find my happy medium. As an all purpose cleaner, it made everything sticky- I'll stick to vinegar. The only use I have for this is the tea tree version for under my arms: it cuts the stink really well during the summer months. For that reason alone, I will repurchase.

on 5/16/2015 1:11:00 AM

The awesomeness of Dr. Bronner's liquid soaps is reflected by the 200+ reviews, with a 90% repurchase rate. Still, here is my personal story of why I love this magic liquid:

Several years ago, I went on a 7-day trek in Nepal. I trekked anywhere between 5-8 hours a day, with all of my possessions in a backpack, and sweating through layers of clothing on a daily basis (eeww). BUT, I had one little 2 oz. Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap with me, and what a heaven sent/scent it was. Dirty skin? Stinky pits? Nasty hair? Funky underwear? Sweaty clothes? That little bottle took care of it ALL. A few undiluted drops on my hands and some lathering got my face/body/hairs squeaky clean, everyday. Wet my clothes and add a few more undiluted drops, directly on the clothes or in a basin, and voila! Clean clothes. The peppermint scent helped to refresh my mind, body, and outer wear.

The only thing I didn't use it for was for tooth brushing. I didn't like the idea of tasting soap and brought along a small tube of toothpaste. But, anyone who has gone camping/trekking while having to carry all supplies can appreciate how precious space can be, or how even a little weight can make a difference. During the trek, I used up only 1/3 of it. For this environmentally conscious gal, the soap proved it was magical. And to think...I had gotten the bottle for $1 in the bargain bin of a drugstore!

It had been my first exposure to Dr. Bronner's, but I was so glad I had bet my cleaning needs on that little bottle. Definitely made me a fan for life! Nowadays, I have several 32 fl oz bottles around the house for various purposes. It's especially awesome for making DIY foaming soap.

on 4/26/2015 10:32:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Coarse

I never thought to write a review on this stuff...it's been so much a part of my life, for as long as I can remember, that it fades into scenery. Over the years I have used all the scents but the ones I buy continually are Peppermint and Almond. (Note: be careful with the Peppermint one in "sensitive" areas of the body...) Summer in Arizona can be HOT, and the Peppermint soap literally cools the temperature of our skin. It feels wonderful. I never use anything with "lather", and I've never tried to make this liquid soap foam. I apply it on a shower pouf and wash. I was surprised to read reviews that talk about its lather. I guess living most of my life with Los Angeles water kept me unaware of the joy of soap bubbles, because I never knew this stuff to lather! (I don't think I'd like it if it did...I don't like a "soapy" feel). The Rose smells lovely, but it's just too strong for my nose. It seems like everbody I know uses these soaps, or has at least tried them, and I don't know of anyone who hasn't been intrigued by the quirky, hippie "preachings" on the bottles. It's impossible not to be drawn into reading them in the shower. What better to do in the shower than read about uniting humanity on "Spaceship Earth"? I like this soap for hand soap, body cleanser, laundry detergent, household cleaning, and makeup brush cleaner, but I can't use it in my hair...I tried it once...and I still get shivers thinking about it. My skin loves olive oil, so it's not surprising castile soap leaves it in clean, soft condition. I put the castile soap in my own pump hand-soap bottles as well. A little goes a long way, and they keep my family and our environment clean.

on 4/20/2015 11:48:00 PM

Dr. Bronners has been a staple in my family for as long as I can remember. We used to houseboat in the summer on Lake Shasta, and would take "showers" by scrubbing down with this stuff and then jumping in the lake :) the peppermint liquid soap smell is so nostalgic for me - there is nothing like the cool, tingly feeling on a hot summer night! I have also tried (and loved) the lavender. I will try the almond and rose scents next, as I have heard great things! I have yet to try any of the bar soaps so this review is solely for the liquid soaps.

As a body wash, this definitely gives you that "squeaky clean" feeling. Be careful not to use too much - read the directions (if you can find them amidst the crazy hilariously awesome religious rant on the bottle) or Lisa Bronner also has a blog that is really helpful with dilution ratios. Basically I wouldn't recommend using this stuff straight - put a few drops on a loofah and rinse with water before scrubbing, or dilute beforehand like a 1:3 ratio and then use it. It is a big drying (I have already dry skin, though) but just follow up with a moisturizer or body oil after your shower and you're good to go. Remember, it is still a SOAP, but the benefits of not using any parabens or toxic chemicals on your body is well worth it!

As a shampoo, it is definitely not my favorite but will work in a pinch or when camping. You definitely want to use a conditioner after, or else your hair will feel like straw. But again, it does give you the sqeaky clean feeling that some people like. I have not tried diluting it and using it as a shampoo, so that could change the results.

As a makeup brush cleaner, this is my absolute HG. I use a blend of oils as a facial moisturizer morning and night (grapeseed oil plus some essential oils) and then use foundation over it in the mornings, so my makeup brushes are always pretty gnarly within a week. This will clear out any gunk in SECONDS and gives them a nice clean scent. My brushes are like brand new every time :)

I have not yet used this as a facewash, as I have finally recently cleared up my skin and I'm afraid to change anything in my routine with the fear of breaking out! But i'm sure eventually I will cave, and I will update my results :)

As many other reviewers have said, you can also make an all-purpose house cleaner by diluting the liquid soap of your choice, but I haven't gotten around to do that, either. Just a matter of time before i try!

This stuff is a GREAT, INEXPENSIVE, MULTI-PURPOSE all in one magical product. It's not for everyone, but if you figure out how to use it correctly and DILUTE, it could totally simplify and detoxify your life!!

Edit: I bumped this down a lippie because after prolonged use of the peppermint liquid soap body wash, my skin got pretty dried out. I look forward to trying to almond to see if that makes a difference :)

on 4/19/2015 4:33:00 PM

Skin: Very Dry, Medium, Not Sure

I always got the liquid soap in Lavender.However, after moving to a location with hard water, this soap does NOT lather well in hard water at all. In my previous home, we had a heavy duty softener and the lathered great on a wash cloth with lots of suds. But in a harder water region (like Arizona) you have to use double the amount and it still doesn't create the later you need. The bar however does fine, but I find it more drying. So until we move to a location with softer water, I've switched to Kirk's Castile Bar Soap for now.

on 4/19/2015 1:55:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I like to clean my makeup sponges frequently. This liquid soap cleans them better than a liquid detergent.

Skin: Very Dry, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Red, Straight, Medium

Holy Grail product for.... everything.
I'm a big ol' hippie who loves to use this for cleaning around the house. Hand dishwashing liquid, making laundry soap, cleaning the counters, the floors, the tubs, literally everything!
In the shower, this has become my all-in-one product. Body wash (doubles as shaving lather with GREAT glide), face wash, no-poo shampoo (dilute it, please!!). I decant some from the big bottle into a small airplane travel bottle and a little goes a long way, so the 3 ounces in there probably last me 3 weeks with all of those uses. I have less products in the shower than my husband does now!
Cleans makeup brushes better than anything I have ever tried.
As others reviewers have said, it may be a bit drying for those with dry skin. I have SUPER dry skin, but I am diluting it so the dryness goes down there, but I moisturize like crazy immediately after getting out of the shower regardless of what soap I am using, so it doesn't bother me.
Currently I use the peppermint scent, but mostly because I can find it at Costco in the HUGE bottles for way less than I buy it at the grocery store, and the price difference is crazy. But they only sell the peppermint scent currently, to my knowledge.
The bottle is covered in crazy cult made up religion talk, but if you can get past the gibberish there is actually useful information somewhere. Listen to the bottle and DILUTE. Read more stuff online on "recipes" to make all the stuff I mentioned, and you won't be disappointed!