Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation

3.8

Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water (Aqua), Phenyl Trimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, PEG-12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Isononyl Isononanoate, Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Trihydroxystearin, Diisopropyl Dimer Dilinoleate Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Glyceryl, Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Silk Powder (Serica), Ascorbyl Palmitate, Saccharomyces/Xylinum/Black Tea Ferment, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate. May Contain ( /-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019).

Hair: Black, Straight, Other

I have combination skin (normal on my cheeks and oily on the T-Zone), medium-light skin with yellow undertone. For reference, I'm an NC30 in MAC, #120 Soft Sand or #127 Dark Sand in Make Up Forever HD Foundation, 2W1 Dawn in Estee Lauder Double Wear Foundation.

First of all, I seriously can't find the right match with this foundation for yellow undertone skin. It's either too gray/beige or too pink/peach, suit more for people with neutral and pink undertone. The shades that claim to have yellow undertone are more like neutral undertone with 'very slightly' yellow tint to it. None of them are true yellow undertone :(

Second of all, this foundation is not doing well with oily skin, at least on me. It melts off my face within 4 hours and my face is not even extremely oily or anything. It doesn't control oil nor keep my face matte, but that I understand because it doesn't claim to do so anyway. It turns my face very greasy while melting off. I have tried to set it with several loose setting powder, with their famous Laura Mercier Loose Setting Powder, with Ben Nye Banana Powder, with Make Up Forever HD Powder, with setting spray, etc....none of those help. I also tried different methods of applying, I applied it with beauty blender, with Sigma F80 Flat Top Kabuki brush, with Sigma F82 Round Kabuki brush, with Sigma F60 Foundation brush, with my fingers....again, none of those help. It does oxidize also, turning my face a shade or two darker (and gray).

But I have to admit that this foundation has great coverage, pretty full coverage to me and it glides on like a charm but the cons are too much for me to want to use it again. I'm giving 2 lippies for the great coverage and the easy blending.

on 2/5/2015 5:39:00 PM

I have this in Cream Ivory, which matches my NC15 skin fairly well, but is a touch pale. However the next shade up was too pink-toned for me and looked bad. For reference I also wear Fairly Medium in Bare Minerals, 4.5 in Luminous Silk, Pale Dune in Tom Ford foundation stick, 02 in Guerlain Tenue de Perfection.

This foundation is very thick and seems to be a very heavy coverage. Even when I used it lightly and buffed it out with a brush, my boyfriend would tell me that I looked very over-made. The finish is very pretty, but it's heavy and noticeable. It lasts me all day just fine, but I usually use a setting or finishing powder when I do my makeup.

I got this in rose ivory recently and I have to admit that I do like it. It is close to full coverage but not as full as some. When I think of full coverage EL full cover comes to mind but this is not heavy and mask like at all, it's a wearable full coverage. I did use concealer, secret camoflauge on my redness before I applied this foundation. I also felt like it was skin like and not so made up you look ridiculous. I will continue to use this in my rotation and I have the LM smooth flawless fluide foundation ordered. I also used the LM hydrating primer and moisturizer before this because I have very dry skin and it did not cling to any dry patches which is a deal breaker for me. I hate clinging worse than anything. It also didn't settle into any fine lines.

Cystic acne with scars that are still around 1.5 months later. They're pretty deep, I think they'll be around another 2-3 months. Path test this one, acne prone girls! I don't think this one was going to work for me anyways. I have dry skin, and it just wasn't melding with my skin in a natural looking way. Maybe it requires a damp sponge or something like that, but I don't always have time to bother with complicated steps for applying.

on 1/28/2015 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I'm an NC40-NC42 in Mac foundations and I wear the darkest shade in this foundation: hazelnut beige. While it matches me pretty well in the winter, in the summer it can be too light. Also, this product would not work for darker WOC. It's unfortunate and Laura Mercier should do something about that!

Anyway, this foundation is definitely one of the best full coverage options for people with dry skin. It's a gel like consistency that dries down to a satin finish. A little goes a long way so be weary of that when applying it. I prefer to use a beauty blender with this as opposed to a brush.

on 1/25/2015 3:09:00 PM

Got colour matched in this foundation last week to Soft Ivory which is actually a great match for my pale skin with yellow undertones (NC15). The MA tried Cream Ivory on my skin too which I would probably use in the summer when im a bit more tanned. FYI the Cream Ivory was literally exactly the same colour as the foundation I already had on, Estée Lauder DW in 1N1. My skin is normal, I'm not particularly oily nor dry.

The sample tube they gave me my sample of Soft a ivory in was small and an absolute nightmare to get the foundation out of as it's so thick and creamy. I ended up spilling too much out and only got 2 uses out of it.

The foundation blends on brilliantly over primer with a brush or beauty blender. It's much easier to blend than DW. I also found the coverage to be fantastic, not perfect but really great.

The finish is amazing. Not too matte and not too dewy- just really natural looking. I can't see how anyone wouldn't like the finish of this stuff.

Ok so now for the not so good things. Unfortunately I find that this foundation sets into my fine lines very quickly which ages me by about 10 years! It also accentuates my pores really badly. My face, despite not being oily naturally, gets shiny really quickly!? Even with powder. The staying powder if this stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

But would I buy it though? Probably, because the colour match is so good and because of how great it looks when first applied. Lots of people have talked about it oxidising by the way but I honestly didnt notice that happening to me!

on 1/17/2015 10:42:00 AM

Skin background:
Skin tone around NC30
Shade in LM: Sandy Beige/Cashew Beige
Combination skin

I typically like to use a tinted moisture and just spot conceal. However on nights or long days I like to wear a matte foundation. I first got a sample of this at Sephora in 2 shades. I then realized I could get away with using both interchangeably but I do prefer Sandy Beige. I like that it gives a natural matte finish and the wear time on me is pretty good (without primer). Now when applying I like to use the Real Techniques Buffing brush and I spritz a little bit of water on it. I then pat it into the skin and buff it out. If you have stubborn spots/marks I would suggest to only pat it and not buff it out. I use a thin layer first and then add a bit more on areas that require (so it doesn't look cakey). I typically only concentrate on areas that need to be evened out due to redness or a spot I get here and there. I then use a matte powder over my tzone. As mentioned before I like the wear time on this and the finish. Just remember if you don't want to over do it and look cakey, only apply a thin layer at a time and build up to what you need and only add more to areas that require it. Using a slightly damp brush also helps to spread the product nicely. Overall I really like this foundation.

on 1/8/2015 6:31:00 PM

Let me just say that I've looked high and low in search for the proper foundation that's lightweight, moisturising, and still gives me the dewy glow that I aspire for... and this is the product that really answers my prayers. I'm not even exaggerating!

I found the Silk Creme foundation to be a lifesaviour, especially when I experiences mild acne breakouts all over my forehead, chin and cheeks due to stress and hormones. I had redness and dark spots everywhere. I bought Laura Mercier's foundation after reading the reviews from MUA and used it over my spots in dire attempts to make my skin the least bit even. What I like about this is that the foundation is buildable, so it's enitrely up to you how heavy you want the coverage to be. I'd use the foundation and mix it with some moisturiser with a clean sponge and dab it over problem areas, and once again, I can rebuild the confidence I had lost as a result of my acne.

After going through treatment, my face is clear again (no more dark spots! no more horrendous zits! yay!), although I'm experiencing a bit of dryness. Nowadays I just use the Silk Creme foundation to even out some areas and give my face that glow. Overall, I can say that this is an amazing product. No irritating smell, simple packaging, although a bit pricey. But hey, you get what you pay for, and it is definitely worth it! :)

PROS
buildable coverage
lightweight & moisturising
gives off a dewy glow (hence, silk creme)
no fancy, irritating scent
love how it's in a tube -- easy to control the amount you want

CONS
a bit pricey (but I think it's worth it!)
you need to use a good setting powder to make sure the coverage stays.

on 12/29/2014 11:50:00 PM

Blends easily but looks dried up after 3-4 hours or may be sooner. it might be ok for very oily skin but mine is normal. Great packaging though wish all foundations came in a tube, so convenient.

on 12/28/2014 8:46:00 PM

Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium

This is a beautiful foundation. I'm not an everyday foundation wearer (I stick to powder or tinted moisturizer), but when I go out or want to look super polished, this is one of my go-to's. It's very good coverage, a little bit goes such a long way. It is a thick cream consistency, but I find it to be incredibly blendable and easy to work with. It's a moisturizing foundation, but it doesn't leave me looking or feeling greasy. I also love the squeeze tube... It's clean to use and none bulky. This is a popular foundation for a reason. It's beautiful.

Popular Crème Foundations

Stick Foundation

Video Reviews & Tutorials

This vs.That | (Review + Demo) Laura Mercier Silk Creme vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation by JJ BeautyRoom