December 19, 2014 | 1576 users online

Crème - Laura Mercier - Silk Creme Foundation

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

Before I got this in the mail, I thought it was going to be too much coverage for me, based on the reviews I've read and YT videos I've watched. But strangely enough, I thought the coverage was lacking and the staying power was horrible! It lasted about 5 hours on me before getting patchy and greasy. I also got 4 'lovely' cystic acne spots immediately after using this. Needless to say, I'm sending this back.

For what it's worth - the shade I got was Bamboo Beige and I felt it was a smidge too dark for my NC20/25 skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2014 2:17:00 AM More reviews by dolce_1127

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the review of this foundation in the colour Soft Ivory, which is a good match for NC 15. Many years ago I purchased the colour Creme Ivory, which was darker and more tailored towards NC 20 skin. I am glad they finally came out with a colour light enough for fair skin. Also I have dry + combo skin.

This foundation is sold in Sephora for $48 USD, and contains 35 mls of product. It is quite a thick formula, with very good pigmentation. It is easily medium to full coverage with first layer. Laura Mercier recommends to use it with a sponge, which I think is a great idea, as it is not runny, and therefore won't be absorbed into the sponge much. The MAC 109 is also fantastic for this foundation, and also your fingers will do just fine too. It comes with a scent identical to the Revlon Colourstay Foundation, which smells like water paint. Application is very smooth, it does not drag on the skin.

Initially when applied, it looks nice and semi-matte, slightly glowy. But it clings to dry patches on the face right away. So use a good moisturizer if you have dry skin. The problem hits you about 5 hours later, this thing becomes incredibly cakey looking. Not because you put on too much in the morning, but because for some reason all the moisturizing ingredients in it are gone and you are only left with pigments on the face. People have commented multiple times to me that I have too much powder on my face, when I didn't even powder my face after putting this thing on. Also I usually have a very rich moisturizer underneath, and it always ends up the same, dry and cakey. Later I figured out a way to fix it, which is to use a layer vaseline underneath, then this foundation is gorgeous! But how many people will put a vaseline under their foundation everyday. Although that is fine with me, many people probably don't even like the idea.

Overall, I don't recommend this foundation, unless you are oily + combination. If you have dry skin, stay clear! I filmed a review and demo, with close shots of my face in it (be aware haha). In the video I also compared it to the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation, which is similar but I rather like it. I have linked the review below, click it if you wanna!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2014 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Lil3MissSarah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation is a build-able medium to full coverage foundation. This melts beautifuly into the skin and lasts quite a long time. The coverage is a little much for me every day, but its perfect for a night out, photos, or those times of the month when my skin is behaving badly. I also prefer to use this in the cooler parts of the year as I find it to be a little heavy for summer months. A little goes a long way. A small tinsy tiny amount is enough to cover my whole face. I usually apply this with my fingers but I found that it also applys beautifully with a sponge. I've heard that this is the foundation you want if you are in a wedding or taking photos, and I have to agree. This foundation photographs super well. I have dry skin so I just use my usuall moisturizer underneath or I may have issues with dry patches, but nothing super obvious or bothersome. I does not break me out, I've have no complaints about this foundation except for maybe the color range which is seriously lacking.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/11/2014 8:25:00 PM More reviews by prettylilgurl

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Coarse Eyes: Black

The Silk Creme from Laura is a great foundation. I personally love the full coverage effect it gives my uneven skintone. It looks great when applied with a regular flat foundation brush or a beauty blender! For more coverage, I use the flat foundation brush to pat on the product in the areas most needed. Although, it is a great product, I do not use it everyday. Using this daily is a bit much for my combination acne-prone skin. I use this foundation ocassionally for going out. This foundation is suitable for all skin types because it is oil-free. If you have really dry skin I do not suggest you use it due to its thicker consistency.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/4/2014 7:07:00 AM More reviews by lenhearts

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

I was lucky enough to work for Laura Mercier Australia early on in my career. This is not a bias review as I no longer work there and have no affiliation, but I am familiar with her range of products and have been using them for years even after leaving my job.

This foundation was touted as the 'go to' foundation if- 1. you were getting married or 2. you were getting photographed or appearing on television. In other words, this was the best foundation if you wanted flawless skin with great coverage!! what more can a girl ask for right?

The pros are plenty, expensive (not a pro) but a little goes a long way (pro), great medium coverage (I didn't find it too heavy), I barely needed to use any concealer with this foundation and people have commented how flawless my skin is because it blended so well and they couldn't tell I was wearing anything. In fact I even managed to convert a few friends to this foundation. A big con is that it is very limited in shades, my skin varies from olive to tan and I use the darkest shade available in this foundation. Also, depending on how much you use, the coverage can go from medium to heavy and because of this I wouldn't use it as an everyday foundation but as a 'night out' foundation. Despite the cons, this does remain my favourite Laura Mercier foundation and I would be happy to purchase again (though I do miss the employee discount).

rated 1 of 5 on 11/26/2014 4:48:00 PM More reviews by bees333

No no no. I could tell straight out that it wasn't going to work when first applied. I do have slightly dry skin. The foundation looked cakey and flakey and dry. It doesn't blend well. I can't really comment on its ability for high coverage. First layer and 2nd layer was light coverage though, I used fingers, and because of how terrible it looked on my skin, I didn't even bother going further to try to build the coverage. Everytime I would try to use this foundation, I always need up just swiping it off my face again and using another foundation.
Gosh it was just so yucki looking, very similar to how I feel about the Nars sheer glow and Shisedo UV protection foundation(in the blue tube, reformulated version), and I noticed that all 3 of those foundations has the sticker saying to 'shake well'. I hate them all, but I still have them, hoping for someday it will miraculously work on my skin.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/23/2014 12:09:00 AM More reviews by fecktopia

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I'm an NC25 with dry skin and melasma, and purchased this is sand beige a month ago. The coverage is full without being cakey, but the finish is more off-matte than satin. It looks natural in certain lights and in photos, and hides most of my pigmentation without additional concealer but the occasional blemish still needs some concealing. I have successfully used this with silicone based or no primer and it has lasted at least 8 hours, sometimes longer, which is a huge perk as I live in a humid climate. It doesn't really need a setting powder either, but using a finely milled translucent like MUFE HD works fine. One thing that is bothersome is that it oxidises on me after about an hour, which doesn't really happen with mist if the other foundations I've tried. I will happily repurchase this if I can find a shade that matches after oxidisation, but given the limited shade range I'm trying not to get too attached.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/14/2014 3:05:00 PM More reviews by makeupgaal

First to start off, I have combination and acne prone skin. Prior to buying this, I was using the Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer which sufficed before because I had less acne and acne scars. Now, that one is way too light, provides no coverage really so I've been on the hunt for a new everyday foundation.

Pros:
Super easy to apply
Super fast to apply (fingers are great)
Great coverage - barely any concealer needed

Literally your on-the-go foundation.

Cons:
Thick - sits on the skin and doesn't let the skin breathe
It broke me out like crazy

Needless to say, I regrettably had to return it because it broke me out like crazy. Other than that, I loved this foundation and the way it made my skin look. I just didn't like how my skin reacted to it.

rated 4 of 5 on 11/13/2014 2:02:00 AM More reviews by selenax

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This foundation is lovely! Stays for a long time, makes my skin look great, high coverage even over acne/pimples and applies very well. The only problem I have with it is that it feels quite heavy sometimes, if its humid outside, and is probably not the best for oily skin because it makes you look oily. No problems with breaking out from it or anything, just that it has a really dewy finish (probably from the 'creme' formulation).

Overall it is a good foundation, photographs quite well once you powder over it but is just a little on the pricy side. That being said, I've had mine for a year and a half and I still haven't run out yet!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2014 2:24:00 PM More reviews by babbz13

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I would definitely consider myself a makeup junkie, I've tried Bobbi brown, tarte, mufe, estee lauder, Dior airflash, Giorgio armani, and much more. this product is by far my favorite. gives that beautiful dewy finish, with medium to full coverage. I tend to use a primer with all my foundations, but I have went without on this product and I lasts me just about all day! another one of my favs would be lancom teint idol. both these products are simply amazing! i just ran out of my second bottle, decided to try the Dior star and the bare essentials but nothing compares to my laura mercier! the new full coverage concealer laura just came out with is also wonderful! their whole line is on point and the best I've ever had.