October 22, 2014 | 1811 users online

Crème - Laura Mercier - Silk Creme Foundation

rated 3 of 5 on 10/19/2014 5:30:00 PM More reviews by apowerfulbeat

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I have a love/hate relationship with this product. I certainly like how it feels on my skin (it's very light, regardless of being a thicker formula), the coverage is medium-to-full, and it has a not-quite-matte finish. The shades are very light, and seem to have pink undertones, so I don't know if darker complexions will find a match.

My problem with it has to do with application and lasting power. For a fuller coverage foundation, the lasting power is not very good. It also accentuates every dry patch on my face as well (I'm oily-combo, prone to dehydration). I also find it surprising that for a thick foundation, it does not apply well with a brush. I use RT EFB for almost all of my foundations and that brush just does not blend this product at all. It works better with a damp sponge but even then I find that it applies streaky. Fingers are your best bet with this product, and I hate applying foundations with my hands.

For $45, this just isn't a special enough product. It doesn't wow me. I'll finish the tube but won't repurchase.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/16/2014 10:03:00 AM More reviews by sarahashleymac

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I have very pale, very dry skin and I was looking for a foundation that would cover my redness and minimize my freckles while matching my pale skin tone (not an easy shade to find). I heard this foundation was great for dry skin, had full coverage and it came in a shade that matched my skin tone (soft ivory).

Even after prepping my skin with moisturizer, primer and fix+ this foundation clung to dry patches I didn't even know I had and made my whole face look flaky. It didn't cover nearly as much as my usual Mac Studio Fix Fluid does (and I tried using a damp beauty blender and a flat top kabuki brush), and it has a strong medicinal scent that was even worse than Mac's foundations- which I don't mind.

The only redeeming qualities of this foundation were that it had a shade light enough for me, and I love the tube packaging. I am returning this one as soon as I can and going back to my Studio Fix Fluid which I won't deviate from for a while now.

rated 4 of 5 on 10/14/2014 5:33:00 AM More reviews by MarianneC1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a really good foundation , this is a night out foundation for me . It's does have a flawless finish to it but It's also heavy looking. Good just Not my fav for everyday

rated 5 of 5 on 10/11/2014 1:31:00 PM More reviews by Linda523

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is my holy grail foundation. The coverage is amazing yet not cakey. A little goes a long way and it lasts all day/night. There is no flashback in photography either so this foundation is perfect for evenings out when you'll be taking photos. The only con is it's a bit pricy since they recently increased the price again. I'm about an NC30 (light medium with yellow undertones) and can wear both bamboo beige and cashew beige. My face is lighter than the rest of my body so I prefer to match my foundation to my chest area. Bamboo seems to be a perfect color match in natural sunlight and transitions on my jawline nicely, but on my face, it can seem a little grey and too light at night compared to my body. I actually prefer cashew beige since it's a tad darker but not by much. Sand beige was too dark for me. I love this foundation. To compare it to other foundations I like, it lasts longer than MUFE matte velvet (color 40), has better coverage than MUFE HD (color 127), and better color matches for yellow undertones than CG outlast stay fabulous (color 842). It looks more natural than the kat von d lock it foundation (medium 54), the lock it foundation broke me out, whereas the silk creme does not break me out at all.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/23/2014 4:26:00 AM More reviews by miriammak97

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is my all time favourite foundation! I have it in the shade bamboo beige which I have found is the perfect shade for me (I am roughly a MAC NC20-25). The texture is very thick and creamy which I personally love as it gives full coverage without looking cakey - I do prefer wearing this at night or on special occasions and want my skin to look extra flawless.
My favourite way to apply this foundation is by using a flat top brush to press and buff it into the skin. The finish is very natural looking - satin finish with a hint of dewiness a few hours into wear. It comes in a squeeze tube which is practical and hygienic. Would definitely recommend this, however if you have oily skin you should probably set it with a mattifying powder.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/22/2014 10:16:00 AM More reviews by sbender

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Blue

Great skin tone match in Cream Ivory (I have light combination skin, for example NARS TM Finland is my perfect shade), easy application, great texture, good medium coverage, but this foundation looks good only a few hours after application. Then it starts to "separate", and becomes blotchy and visible, which does't look great at all. I tested it for a couple of days, and every single day was the same. Not for me, and not for my skin! Also, I don't think this is good for dry skin either, as it accentuates every dry patch, and every skin imperfection.

rated 3 of 5 on 9/17/2014 1:53:00 PM More reviews by candy87

I am always on the lookout for full coverage foundation so decided to splurge 78SGD on this.
love the packaging.. the SA matched me to cream ivory though I have pink undertones.. however it seems an accurate enough match. it is super creamy and blends well. however I find the end result isn't flawless enough for my taste. BUT it could be due to my base moisturiser (body shop shiso sunblock spf30) which could be too greasy. I will try again with another moisturiser and update. overall a great foundation

rated 4 of 5 on 9/14/2014 6:54:00 PM More reviews by Megsl21

I really like this foundation. It is full coverage with a flawless look and a little goes a long way. If you have a light skin tone you will find a foundation to match you almost exactly! The only problem I had with it is that it made my skin look shiny and cakey after awhile and I have never had that problem before. But other than that it's a good foundation for a flawless look!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/9/2014 6:08:00 PM More reviews by tiana89

I only signed up here to give this product a review.

My skin: Acne prone, sensitive, and combination. Some acne scars. Uneven skin tone. Yellow and neutral undertones making it impossible to find a foundation that warms my face without going orange or pink.

This foundation: it doesn't cover all my scars but when i wear it I'm told my "skin looks like it cleared up". It looks so healthy that it doesn't bother me that my face isn't completely covered with a thick layer of paint.
My face looks like just my face when i look at it and not "foundation covered".
Perfectly suits my skin tone.
Natural Glow without being "dewy"
Lasts all day long…a lllll day long. Without powder!

TIP: a little goes a long way with this foundation. I use a flat brush and really spread it over my face. If i use more then my face looks a little oily and foundation-y. Spread this thin over your face and embrace a natural flawless look.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/8/2014 3:44:00 AM More reviews by AshKay

Age: 44-55 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I am a 44 year young foundation junkie looking for the best foundation to compliment and add polish to a naturally aging gal with your typical aging issues. I have light olive, normal to slight combination skin (Mac NC 20, Estee Lauder double wear intensity 2, double wear tawny or rattan) with slight horizontal forehead lines, few fine lines around eyes and most troubling of all age- related melasma on either side of cheeks and forehead).

I have never tried Laura Mercier products, but after speaking to a Laura Mercier loyal fan, decided to try her foundation. Got duped into buying tinted moisturiser, camouflage concealer and eye concealer in my first shopping trip. I have given a review for tinted moisturiser separately.

I got around to purchasing this foundation last week on the basis of LM advertising that it is a " full coverage" foundation offering "flawless skin".
Well NOT so flawless in my opinion. Here's why:
1) the shade exactly matching my skin tone (medium ivory) on application oxidized within an hour (and I do not have oily skin at all) to at least one shade darker with a distinctly orange hue (read the oompah loompah look). I do not think that at this price $59 (Aus) one should have to try and guesstimate foundation colours by how much it oxidizes. That's ridiculous.

2) after 1 hr wear, every line and crease (and I don't have many other than fine lines) is magnified. The foundation "slips" between the lines appearing to create a fault line and aging me by 10 years. This despite me trying to powder with the LM translucent powder I was duped into buying with it.

3) The foundation, despite applying it as directed by the LM sales lady (with sponge and dabbing motions) appeared cakey and seemed to exaggerate every pore (again I have very fine pores which are never an issue with foundation usually.

The only good thing I have to say about this foundation is that the feeling of the foundation upon application is as advertised (it does feel and glide like silk) and the packaging as a squeeze hand sized tube is hygienic, dispenses as little or as much foundation as you choose.
But overall a disappointing product. Will not be spending any more money on LM products. It is all hype without substance and wickedly expensive given the poor quality.