Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation

3.8

Ingredients: Cyclopentasiloxane, Water (Aqua), Phenyl Trimethicone, Ethylhexyl Palmitate, PEG-12 Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Silica Dimethicone Silylate, Butylene Glycol, Glycerin, Isononyl Isononanoate, Polysilicone-11, Dimethicone, Sodium Chloride, Phenoxyethanol, Trihydroxystearin, Diisopropyl Dimer Dilinoleate Ethylhexyl Hydroxystearate, C30-45 Alkyl Cetearyl Dimethicone Crosspolymer, Sorbitan Sesquioleate Propylparaben, Methylparaben, Butylparaben, Ethylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Glyceryl, Acrylate/Acrylic Acid Copolymer, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Silk Powder (Serica), Ascorbyl Palmitate, Saccharomyces/Xylinum/Black Tea Ferment, Propylene Glycol, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract, Potassium Sorbate. May Contain ( /-): Titanium Dioxide (CI 77891), Iron Oxides (CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499), Mica (CI 77019).

on 4/6/2015 11:49:00 PM

Hair: Red, Straight, Fine

I have owned the Laura Mercier Silk Creme foundation for 8 months now and I've kind of given up on it at this point. I've seen so many people rave about how amazing this foundation is but it just isn't resonating with me. The shade I have is Soft Ivory which is the lightest shade in the line and has a neutral-warm undertone which is absolutely amazing since most brands seem to think that very fair skin = automatic cool undertone which is not true. The foundation is $57 which is pretty steep but it comes with almost 20% more product than most other high end foundations which are usually around the $50 dollar mark for 1 fl ounce. The foundation is quite thick and has a texture comparable to the Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 hr foundation as well as the Revlon Colorstay Whipped foundation which coincidentally, didn't work for me either. I usually apply this foundation with either a buffing brush or my fingers. I would use a damp beauty blender but I think the foundation is too thick to evenly disperse it across your face with one. For reference, I have dehydrated oily skin which means that my skin products excess oil but also has dry patches and many of them and I think the dry patches are what are stopping me from loving this product. This foundation never applies evenly and looks patchy instantly, wearing off in massive chunks over the course of about 3-4 hours regardless of how I seem to prep my skin. I'm not sure if this is because of my dry patches or my application method but if you know of an application method different from what I'm using that works for you, please share with me because I want to love this product!! I don't find the foundation makes me look oily or dry, somewhere right in the middle which is definitely to my taste. I really wish I could recommend this foundation because I so desperately want to be a member of the Silk Creme bandwagon but it just doesn't seem to be working and therefore, I do not recommend it.

on 3/30/2015 10:02:00 PM

At first, I was really impressed by this foundation. I thought the cream ivory shade matched my skin well (although maybe that was the excitement of getting my tone matched in Sephora). My skin was dehydrated at the time and I wanted something natural looking that wasn't super matte.

Unfortunately, after using it every day for a few weeks, I found it was much too yellow for my skin. I felt like it was building up with each use.... Really weird since I use a beauty blender and only a pea size amount of product. The staying power became bad, and my skin isn't super oily - just a bit on my t-zone. I found if I touched my face, it would leave streaks! By noon I would feel oily and gross. I even used the Laura Mercier protect primer and setting powder. Maybe if you have really dry skin this will work for you. But if you are even a bit oily/combo skinned, I would suggest something else.

on 3/23/2015 1:32:00 PM

This foundation is not great for dry skin, it clings to dry patches and doesn't cover evenly across the skin but by the end of the day the foundation seemed to have slipped down the face, leaving nothing but a greasy layer on the skin.The coverage is buildable but if you are looking for anything other than a very light coverage then you will most likely look cakey. The shade choices are minimal and are only really suited to pink toned people which is a downside. I do think this product would be more suited to an oiler skin with no redness.

on 3/5/2015 2:42:00 PM

This is a great foundation, I would say it gives a good medium coverage that isnt overly drying (great for those with dry skin like me). I really like the tube packaging and it is great for travelling as its light and no risk of smashing! It is a bit pricey however in line with other high end foundation I think it stands up. My only grievance is that for my pale skin tone I cant seem to find that perfect colour match in this range. So whilst I wouldnt repurchase due to the lack of colours I would recommend the formula to others if you can find a colour match!

on 2/5/2015 5:39:00 PM

I have this in Cream Ivory, which matches my NC15 skin fairly well, but is a touch pale. However the next shade up was too pink-toned for me and looked bad. For reference I also wear Fairly Medium in Bare Minerals, 4.5 in Luminous Silk, Pale Dune in Tom Ford foundation stick, 02 in Guerlain Tenue de Perfection.

This foundation is very thick and seems to be a very heavy coverage. Even when I used it lightly and buffed it out with a brush, my boyfriend would tell me that I looked very over-made. The finish is very pretty, but it's heavy and noticeable. It lasts me all day just fine, but I usually use a setting or finishing powder when I do my makeup.

I got this in rose ivory recently and I have to admit that I do like it. It is close to full coverage but not as full as some. When I think of full coverage EL full cover comes to mind but this is not heavy and mask like at all, it's a wearable full coverage. I did use concealer, secret camoflauge on my redness before I applied this foundation. I also felt like it was skin like and not so made up you look ridiculous. I will continue to use this in my rotation and I have the LM smooth flawless fluide foundation ordered. I also used the LM hydrating primer and moisturizer before this because I have very dry skin and it did not cling to any dry patches which is a deal breaker for me. I hate clinging worse than anything. It also didn't settle into any fine lines.

Cystic acne with scars that are still around 1.5 months later. They're pretty deep, I think they'll be around another 2-3 months. Path test this one, acne prone girls! I don't think this one was going to work for me anyways. I have dry skin, and it just wasn't melding with my skin in a natural looking way. Maybe it requires a damp sponge or something like that, but I don't always have time to bother with complicated steps for applying.

on 1/28/2015 10:22:00 PM

Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure

I'm an NC40-NC42 in Mac foundations and I wear the darkest shade in this foundation: hazelnut beige. While it matches me pretty well in the winter, in the summer it can be too light. Also, this product would not work for darker WOC. It's unfortunate and Laura Mercier should do something about that!

Anyway, this foundation is definitely one of the best full coverage options for people with dry skin. It's a gel like consistency that dries down to a satin finish. A little goes a long way so be weary of that when applying it. I prefer to use a beauty blender with this as opposed to a brush.

on 1/25/2015 3:09:00 PM

Got colour matched in this foundation last week to Soft Ivory which is actually a great match for my pale skin with yellow undertones (NC15). The MA tried Cream Ivory on my skin too which I would probably use in the summer when im a bit more tanned. FYI the Cream Ivory was literally exactly the same colour as the foundation I already had on, Estée Lauder DW in 1N1. My skin is normal, I'm not particularly oily nor dry.

The sample tube they gave me my sample of Soft a ivory in was small and an absolute nightmare to get the foundation out of as it's so thick and creamy. I ended up spilling too much out and only got 2 uses out of it.

The foundation blends on brilliantly over primer with a brush or beauty blender. It's much easier to blend than DW. I also found the coverage to be fantastic, not perfect but really great.

The finish is amazing. Not too matte and not too dewy- just really natural looking. I can't see how anyone wouldn't like the finish of this stuff.

Ok so now for the not so good things. Unfortunately I find that this foundation sets into my fine lines very quickly which ages me by about 10 years! It also accentuates my pores really badly. My face, despite not being oily naturally, gets shiny really quickly!? Even with powder. The staying powder if this stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

But would I buy it though? Probably, because the colour match is so good and because of how great it looks when first applied. Lots of people have talked about it oxidising by the way but I honestly didnt notice that happening to me!

on 1/17/2015 10:42:00 AM

Skin background:
Skin tone around NC30
Shade in LM: Sandy Beige/Cashew Beige
Combination skin

I typically like to use a tinted moisture and just spot conceal. However on nights or long days I like to wear a matte foundation. I first got a sample of this at Sephora in 2 shades. I then realized I could get away with using both interchangeably but I do prefer Sandy Beige. I like that it gives a natural matte finish and the wear time on me is pretty good (without primer). Now when applying I like to use the Real Techniques Buffing brush and I spritz a little bit of water on it. I then pat it into the skin and buff it out. If you have stubborn spots/marks I would suggest to only pat it and not buff it out. I use a thin layer first and then add a bit more on areas that require (so it doesn't look cakey). I typically only concentrate on areas that need to be evened out due to redness or a spot I get here and there. I then use a matte powder over my tzone. As mentioned before I like the wear time on this and the finish. Just remember if you don't want to over do it and look cakey, only apply a thin layer at a time and build up to what you need and only add more to areas that require it. Using a slightly damp brush also helps to spread the product nicely. Overall I really like this foundation.

Video Reviews & Tutorials

This vs.That | (Review + Demo) Laura Mercier Silk Creme vs. Tarte Amazonian Clay 12 Hr Foundation by JJ BeautyRoom