February 1, 2015 | 2108 users online

Crème - Laura Mercier - Silk Creme Foundation

rated 2 of 5 on 2/1/2015 6:39:00 PM More reviews by junglebeauty

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Cystic acne with scars that are still around 1.5 months later. They're pretty deep, I think they'll be around another 2-3 months. Path test this one, acne prone girls! I don't think this one was going to work for me anyways. I have dry skin, and it just wasn't melding with my skin in a natural looking way. Maybe it requires a damp sponge or something like that, but I don't always have time to bother with complicated steps for applying.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/28/2015 10:22:00 PM More reviews by paine724

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I'm an NC40-NC42 in Mac foundations and I wear the darkest shade in this foundation: hazelnut beige. While it matches me pretty well in the winter, in the summer it can be too light. Also, this product would not work for darker WOC. It's unfortunate and Laura Mercier should do something about that!

Anyway, this foundation is definitely one of the best full coverage options for people with dry skin. It's a gel like consistency that dries down to a satin finish. A little goes a long way so be weary of that when applying it. I prefer to use a beauty blender with this as opposed to a brush.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/25/2015 3:09:00 PM More reviews by Makeup8910

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Got colour matched in this foundation last week to Soft Ivory which is actually a great match for my pale skin with yellow undertones (NC15). The MA tried Cream Ivory on my skin too which I would probably use in the summer when im a bit more tanned. FYI the Cream Ivory was literally exactly the same colour as the foundation I already had on, Estée Lauder DW in 1N1. My skin is normal, I'm not particularly oily nor dry.

The sample tube they gave me my sample of Soft a ivory in was small and an absolute nightmare to get the foundation out of as it's so thick and creamy. I ended up spilling too much out and only got 2 uses out of it.

The foundation blends on brilliantly over primer with a brush or beauty blender. It's much easier to blend than DW. I also found the coverage to be fantastic, not perfect but really great.

The finish is amazing. Not too matte and not too dewy- just really natural looking. I can't see how anyone wouldn't like the finish of this stuff.

Ok so now for the not so good things. Unfortunately I find that this foundation sets into my fine lines very quickly which ages me by about 10 years! It also accentuates my pores really badly. My face, despite not being oily naturally, gets shiny really quickly!? Even with powder. The staying powder if this stuff leaves a lot to be desired.

But would I buy it though? Probably, because the colour match is so good and because of how great it looks when first applied. Lots of people have talked about it oxidising by the way but I honestly didnt notice that happening to me!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/17/2015 10:42:00 AM More reviews by babieedoll

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Skin background:
Skin tone around NC30
Shade in LM: Sandy Beige/Cashew Beige
Combination skin

I typically like to use a tinted moisture and just spot conceal. However on nights or long days I like to wear a matte foundation. I first got a sample of this at Sephora in 2 shades. I then realized I could get away with using both interchangeably but I do prefer Sandy Beige. I like that it gives a natural matte finish and the wear time on me is pretty good (without primer). Now when applying I like to use the Real Techniques Buffing brush and I spritz a little bit of water on it. I then pat it into the skin and buff it out. If you have stubborn spots/marks I would suggest to only pat it and not buff it out. I use a thin layer first and then add a bit more on areas that require (so it doesn't look cakey). I typically only concentrate on areas that need to be evened out due to redness or a spot I get here and there. I then use a matte powder over my tzone. As mentioned before I like the wear time on this and the finish. Just remember if you don't want to over do it and look cakey, only apply a thin layer at a time and build up to what you need and only add more to areas that require it. Using a slightly damp brush also helps to spread the product nicely. Overall I really like this foundation.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2015 6:31:00 PM More reviews by mdabella

Let me just say that I've looked high and low in search for the proper foundation that's lightweight, moisturising, and still gives me the dewy glow that I aspire for... and this is the product that really answers my prayers. I'm not even exaggerating!

I found the Silk Creme foundation to be a lifesaviour, especially when I experiences mild acne breakouts all over my forehead, chin and cheeks due to stress and hormones. I had redness and dark spots everywhere. I bought Laura Mercier's foundation after reading the reviews from MUA and used it over my spots in dire attempts to make my skin the least bit even. What I like about this is that the foundation is buildable, so it's enitrely up to you how heavy you want the coverage to be. I'd use the foundation and mix it with some moisturiser with a clean sponge and dab it over problem areas, and once again, I can rebuild the confidence I had lost as a result of my acne.

After going through treatment, my face is clear again (no more dark spots! no more horrendous zits! yay!), although I'm experiencing a bit of dryness. Nowadays I just use the Silk Creme foundation to even out some areas and give my face that glow. Overall, I can say that this is an amazing product. No irritating smell, simple packaging, although a bit pricey. But hey, you get what you pay for, and it is definitely worth it! :)

PROS
buildable coverage
lightweight & moisturising
gives off a dewy glow (hence, silk creme)
no fancy, irritating scent
love how it's in a tube -- easy to control the amount you want

CONS
a bit pricey (but I think it's worth it!)
you need to use a good setting powder to make sure the coverage stays.

rated 2 of 5 on 12/29/2014 11:50:00 PM More reviews by yamna1

Blends easily but looks dried up after 3-4 hours or may be sooner. it might be ok for very oily skin but mine is normal. Great packaging though wish all foundations came in a tube, so convenient.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 12/28/2014 8:46:00 PM More reviews by babyblue59

This is a beautiful foundation. I'm not an everyday foundation wearer (I stick to powder or tinted moisturizer), but when I go out or want to look super polished, this is one of my go-to's. It's very good coverage, a little bit goes such a long way. It is a thick cream consistency, but I find it to be incredibly blendable and easy to work with. It's a moisturizing foundation, but it doesn't leave me looking or feeling greasy. I also love the squeeze tube... It's clean to use and none bulky. This is a popular foundation for a reason. It's beautiful.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 12/15/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by dddoxie

Before I got this in the mail, I thought it was going to be too much coverage for me, based on the reviews I've read and YT videos I've watched. But strangely enough, I thought the coverage was lacking and the staying power was horrible! It lasted about 5 hours on me before getting patchy and greasy. I also got 4 'lovely' cystic acne spots immediately after using this. Needless to say, I'm sending this back.

For what it's worth - the shade I got was Bamboo Beige and I felt it was a smidge too dark for my NC20/25 skin.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/14/2014 2:17:00 AM More reviews by dolce_1127

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the review of this foundation in the colour Soft Ivory, which is a good match for NC 15. Many years ago I purchased the colour Creme Ivory, which was darker and more tailored towards NC 20 skin. I am glad they finally came out with a colour light enough for fair skin. Also I have dry + combo skin.

This foundation is sold in Sephora for $48 USD, and contains 35 mls of product. It is quite a thick formula, with very good pigmentation. It is easily medium to full coverage with first layer. Laura Mercier recommends to use it with a sponge, which I think is a great idea, as it is not runny, and therefore won't be absorbed into the sponge much. The MAC 109 is also fantastic for this foundation, and also your fingers will do just fine too. It comes with a scent identical to the Revlon Colourstay Foundation, which smells like water paint. Application is very smooth, it does not drag on the skin.

Initially when applied, it looks nice and semi-matte, slightly glowy. But it clings to dry patches on the face right away. So use a good moisturizer if you have dry skin. The problem hits you about 5 hours later, this thing becomes incredibly cakey looking. Not because you put on too much in the morning, but because for some reason all the moisturizing ingredients in it are gone and you are only left with pigments on the face. People have commented multiple times to me that I have too much powder on my face, when I didn't even powder my face after putting this thing on. Also I usually have a very rich moisturizer underneath, and it always ends up the same, dry and cakey. Later I figured out a way to fix it, which is to use a layer vaseline underneath, then this foundation is gorgeous! But how many people will put a vaseline under their foundation everyday. Although that is fine with me, many people probably don't even like the idea.

Overall, I don't recommend this foundation, unless you are oily + combination. If you have dry skin, stay clear! I filmed a review and demo, with close shots of my face in it (be aware haha). In the video I also compared it to the Tarte Amazonian Clay foundation, which is similar but I rather like it. I have linked the review below, click it if you wanna!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/13/2014 10:12:00 PM More reviews by Lil3MissSarah

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Laura Mercier Silk Creme Foundation is a build-able medium to full coverage foundation. This melts beautifuly into the skin and lasts quite a long time. The coverage is a little much for me every day, but its perfect for a night out, photos, or those times of the month when my skin is behaving badly. I also prefer to use this in the cooler parts of the year as I find it to be a little heavy for summer months. A little goes a long way. A small tinsy tiny amount is enough to cover my whole face. I usually apply this with my fingers but I found that it also applys beautifully with a sponge. I've heard that this is the foundation you want if you are in a wedding or taking photos, and I have to agree. This foundation photographs super well. I have dry skin so I just use my usuall moisturizer underneath or I may have issues with dry patches, but nothing super obvious or bothersome. I does not break me out, I've have no complaints about this foundation except for maybe the color range which is seriously lacking.