February 28, 2015 | 1940 users online

Lips - NARS - Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in Cruella

image 0image 1image 2

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2015 3:17:00 PM More reviews by TBonita

Age: 36-43 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Other, Straight, Medium Eyes: Hazel

My only con to this is I hate sharpening stuff. But for a matte lippy it truly IS velvet. Not drying. But I can wear like the MAC retro mattes so I wasn't expecting this to be a problem. From like 7pm to 8am or whenever I'm sans makeup, my lips are coated in pure lanolin. So during day I can deal w it. This makes my teeth look so white! Good addition to my red collection. Sephora VIB rouge bd gift. I have pale cool skin. It's so easy to define my Cupid's bow with this ... I guess that makes up for the annoying sharpening. Would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/17/2015 5:02:00 AM More reviews by PiMehMeh

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I received this along with another NARS Satin Lip Pencil as a birthday gift from Sephora. I hesitated since I don't normally use lip crayons--I usually stick to the traditional lipstick or lip balm, and have not had great luck with any matte lip formulas since my lips are naturally dry to begin with, causing matte formulas to crack and flake off, or build up into a mess of flakes. Not flattering.

For once though, this matte lip pencil did not cause my lips to flake! The matte finish feels luxurious and I like that this isn't a chunky lip pencil, which I find harder to apply color with precisely except with a lip brush. The NARS Velvet Matte Lip Pencil formula also does not drag on my lip like the typical dry matte lip formulas do. I like to smack my lips to spread the color though, and true to matte formulas, this one does dry fast and my lip does feel like it drags over itself when I smack my lips and eventually it my lips feel unbearably taught after 3 or 4 hours, when I feel the need to wipe it off and reapply. Wearing a lip balm prior to this helps a lot with conditioning the skin and improving the longevity of the color.

I saw that the full size pencil is $26 though so I'm glad I got this as a free gift! The formula goes on luxuriously and the deep matte red feels all kinds of vampy, but matte pencils just don't wear comfortably for me so I wouldn't shovel out $26 to treat my lips to hours of drying. I'll still continue to wear this for short outings and wipe it off as soon as I'm home, but I wouldn't hear it for a full day.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/16/2015 5:44:00 PM More reviews by catda

Age: 25-29 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Got this for the birthday gift from Sephora. It's so creamy and easy to apply. I love the difference between this and a standard lipstick. The shade is quite dark & dramatic with my pale skin but I just won't use it as daily use! The only negative thing I would say is that it tends to rub off pretty easy if you are kissing or sipping a glass of wine.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/10/2015 7:36:00 PM More reviews by AmoryBlaine

Age: Unknown Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

A darkish, very glam red lip with a 40s movie-star vibe. I have very pale olive skin, and the berry-red tones are very flattering. Also, it lasts super, super long, without drying out your lips like an "official" longwear formula. The pencil also lasts forever, making it a very good buy.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/9/2015 10:13:00 AM More reviews by SimpleNSexy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Confession: I am a helpless addict to red lip products. I own about a dozen or so beauties that are varying shades and hues of red.

So, naturally, when I saw that this was a part of Sephora's birthday freebie, I knew that we would fall in love.

I'm Asian so my skin's undertone is neutral to yellow so I can pretty much get away with wearing just about any kind of red provided that it matches the rest of my makeup and outfit. This little star, however, is on a league of its own.

I love a good matte red. But at the same time, my lips are prone to drying out and cracking in the corners especially during winter (Canadian eh?). I've had many an experience where a matte lipstick would drag and bunch up around the fine lines on my lips and make me look like a face-dived into fresh meat rather and spent five minutes perfecting my red pout.

This lip pencil is a brilliant exception. Like the name suggest, it's velvety, it's still hella matte, and it stays forever. I've eaten, drunk coffee/water, even dabbed at it with a makeup remover wipe, and it endure them all. I should probably point out that this could leave a subtle stain so be caeful upon application.

You can bet your arse that I'll repurchase the moment I run out of this! (Even though it's $31 in Canada)

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2015 4:29:00 PM More reviews by greenreed

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

A nice blue based red, but I need something warmer. It rubbed off on me sooner than I thought it should as well, which really is more a problem to me than the color preference. Hence a 3.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/11/2015 11:34:00 PM More reviews by OrangeMintPop

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

Cruella is a bright red lip color. It is a matte lip pencil and it is a blue based red but it still looks good on me. I have warm undertones and in MAC foundation I am NC 25. It has great texture, glides on my lips like butter. I have a lip swatch in my video. It last around 5 hours without eating or drinking. I also noticed that this does not stain my lips. In my video I have a lip swatch and how it looks on my lips after wearing it for 8 hours. I received this from my Sephora VIB ROUGE birthday present for 2015.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/6/2014 10:02:00 AM More reviews by KelsySJ

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Red, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I love love love this lip pencil. The colour is amazing and long-lasting and it saves so much time for application. It is a bit pricey so if you are looking for a low-cost drugstore alternative, try the Revlon Colorburst Matte Balm pencil.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/16/2014 5:35:00 PM More reviews by prettygirlmo

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Nooo! This is not like MAC's Ruby Woo! It is darker...it's like Viva Gam I! It is a dark red matte lip pencil that is very wearable for all skin types. If you love red lipstick you need this color! It's beautiful! You definitely need to prep your lips (as I do with all matte lipsticks) use a lip scrub, and a good lip balm. I will repurchase!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2014 12:56:00 PM More reviews by mllemustard

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Other Eyes: Hazel

My new favorite: I have perhaps a NARS lip color problem, and Cruella has turned into the most reached for color in the last month. It has a fantastic depth and richness that is unmatched by the other colors (I still love Terre de Feu, Red Square, and Mysterious Red), and it's the color that makes me feel done. If you're looking for one brilliant NARS red, right now I'd say this is the one.