August 2, 2014 | 1228 users online

Powder - Marcelle - Pressed Powder

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/6/2013 11:34:00 PM More reviews by zrwr00

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

*sorry in advance for the long review Im very detailed in my reviews to try and help other members the best I can :-)*
ok so I was sooo happy when I found this on clearance at target for 3$ with a bunch of other really inexpensive marcelle products. I don't usually use the brand but I thought why not add it to my collection for that price? I usually use my Lancome Dual Finish versitille powder makeup. So I am using it as my medium to compare, I have paid up to 70$ CAN for this powder, so the price of this marcelle product compares much nicer in that category.

*note: sorry If the Lancome comparison isn't too helpful for you, if you haven't used the lancome powder I thought it would still be a good way to show you how it matches up to a high end powder*

PACKAGING : the packaging of this product is decent enough for me. Comparitively I do appreciate the bigger mirror in my lancome compact. The mirror does not take up the whole backside of the cover it is much smaller (sorry if that doesn't make sense :-P)
Colour wise I like darker packaging Look wise but the lighter grey packaging of this product is much more user friendly because it does not show scratches or fallout from the product, like the black would on the lancome packaging. It doesn't have any "fancy looking" gold coloured hardware either, but i honestly don't care. No one sees it anyways and it still looks sleek without it. It also has a sturdy clasp to keep the product closed to avoid damage to the powder, or mess and keeps it sanitary.

APPLICATION: the application is quite nice, if you put your fingers on the powder it doesnt feel as "velvety" as the lancome powder but it looks very nice and matte on the skin. It is easy to buff and does not look like your pores are overfull with product, like most powders make them look.

OTHER IMPORTANT THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW: this powder has great lasting abilities, it doesnt fill in fine lines and make them noticeable or crease. It keeps you looking fresh and matte all day long. It also comes with a nice puff/sponge which although I wouldnt Use on an everyday basis for application, it is great for on the go to throw in your purse and to press on to oily parts of your face eg: T zone if neccessary

*Hopefully this was a help to you, if you have any further questions on this product or my opinion on it please feel free to message me, or if you have another product you would like a review on as I am going through my makeup collection to review products and have quite a large collection, Thankyou for reading :-)<3)

rated 3 of 5 on 4/18/2013 4:50:00 PM More reviews by MissMacabre88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Grey

I purchased Marcelle's pressed power (in translucent medium) to apply on top of Marcelle's light/medium Cream-to-Powder BB, which I love aside from the fact that it makes my skin greasy rather quickly.

It's light, provides decent coverage when applied on top of a foundation or BB, and it's reasonably priced for its quality (I paid $14.00 CAD at Shoppers).

I'm not a big fan of the applicator that comes with it. I think it would be better if it came with a small brush rather than a pad (which tends to pick up the makeup that was applied before it). And it would also be nice if there was a separate compartment for the applicator instead of having it sit directly on top of the powder. Other than that the packaging is good.

Not sure if I would buy it again because I really don't wear foundation very often. If I do wear it too often, my skin breaks out in red, itchy splotches. I'm just not really a fan of having a thick layer of makeup all over my face. Eye makeup is usually enough for me. But of the powders that I've tried, this is one of the better ones.

rated 3 of 5 on 2/27/2013 1:00:00 PM More reviews by missidek

UPDATES ADDED BELOW.

I'm a whore for trying different powders and I have to say, this one gets my vote! It sets your liquid make up wonderfully and will give a very natural finish that is so lightweight, you forget you have it on. It lasts all day, didn't cake on me at all, (anywhere!) and it controls oil better than any other I've ever tried. I was very pleased with that. Plus, the fact that you get 14g for $15 is not bad. I've spent twice that for less and been very disappointed with the quality of powder I received so you definitely get value for money here.

I do, however, have a couple of 'buts' that I should unfortunately mention. (There's always a 'but', right?)

1) It does take time (at least 1-2 hours for myself) to sink in and mix with the natural oils of your skin - which means that, to start, you get a powdery mess that you won't like at all. In fact, I didn't want to go anywhere until I could see that it had blended into my skin - it was that powdery. That said, to be fair, you can't really expect any powder to blend with your skin instantly so we shouldn't be too unreasonable in our expectations, but this one certainly takes its time. I think the reason for that is its amazing oil controlling ingredient, though. (It is talc-based.) So for now, I am willing to put up with the wait time considering all its other positives. I also should mention that I applied with a brush not the powder puff it provided. So, perhaps that right there would cut down on its powdery-ness. (Who says it's not a word? ;) ) As well, I have this in 'Translucent' which is slightly too white for my skin tone (but still preferable over the Translucent Medium for me, as I find that shade too dark) and that could mean that I noticed the white moreso than someone else who bought it in a shade that matched their skin tone more perfectly. In other words, it may not be as obvious while it takes the time it takes to sink in on you as it did me. And hey, everyone's skin is different so maybe you won't have the same issue I did anyway.
2) I do wish it gave jussssssst a tiny bit more coverage. Don't get me wrong, it does even out skin tone to a degree. It does. But if you have any blemish or red mark on your face, you will have to make sure that it is completely concealed before applying this powder. I don't find it will give you enough coverage ON ITS OWN to hide imperfections. However, again in defense, it IS a 'Translucent' powder so it never really claimed that it was for coverage in the first place. I knew this going in so I suppose I have only myself to blame for wanting more but I like so many other things about this powder that I'll just deal with the odd blemish in other ways. I wanted to mention, though, that if you are looking for a powder to provide medium-ample coverage - it's not likely going to be what you're looking for.

Overall, I like it very much. Great product, excellent value for money and a side point, Marcelle does not test on animals which I always look for when I'm looking for cosmetics. I will buy this again.

UPDATE: April 5/2013 - Hi again! I'm back here to add a comment to this powder. Though I'm not changing my rating because I do stand by my earlier review in that it does give a wonderful, smooth, natural finish that does not cake by the end of the day, I wanted to stress a little further that it is NOT meant for people with problem skin. This is a translucent setting powder only. I generally don't have all that many issues with my skin but when it comes to the days when I DO have to cover something, this powder is just no good. Let me tell you why, (if I can explain this properly :P): not only does it NOT provide enough coverage, as I mentioned above, it takes far far far too long to blend with the natural oils of your skin. And to put that into context; it means that if you are trying to do a cover-up job on a blemish, you CANNOT tell how your finished look will appear until approximately 2 hours later. That just doesn't work for me. Personally, I would LIKE to know that the trouble areas are covered to my liking before I leave the house. I don't want to have to hope it's going to be okay. With this powder, it's virtually impossible to determine since the powder takes such a long time to blend and you are forced to go about your business and then run to the bathroom later (when you have much less time/materials to fix anything) to check and make sure the powder job from the morning did what you hoped/wanted it to do.
The reason I am leaving it with 4 lippies, though, is because it never claimed that it will cover anything for you - rather it's a translucent finishing/setting powder for skin that just needs evening out instead of coverage. So, most days I can accept that there is a wait time for it to blend if I am relatively blemish free because then I know there won't be anything TO fix and that eventually the powder will provide the smooth finish that it does. But again, those are the only days I can use it.
Oi, did that make sense to anyone but myself? It sounds a lot clearer in my head, I swear. xD

UPDATE #2 (April 17/2013): lol To anyone still reading this, I apologize. xD I just wanted to add yet another comment about this powder. Yes, I know I need to shut up already. :P I initially did not want to take any lippies off because I thought it delivered for the most part. Well, while I still do love the finish, and stand by all the other positives I mentioned above, I am now taking it down to 3 because of the wait time that I spoke about before. It's really becoming annoying now. Unless you have perfectly flawless skin, this just takes wayyyyyyyy too long to blend. I thought I could deal with it but although it does give that gorgeous finish - it takes AT LEAST 3 hours to actually give it to you and meanwhile you are stuck with a powder that kinda sits on top. I really tried to be understanding, but I don't think it's practical for me and my skin. :/

rated 5 of 5 on 9/6/2012 11:29:00 PM More reviews by JustEnufEyes

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I have already repurchased two of these. Love the light weight feel. so natural looking on the skin. Absorbs oil without looking obvious.

rated 3 of 5 on 11/24/2011 9:14:00 PM More reviews by Olom

I have this in "translucent" and I use it atop my creme foundation to make my makeup more matte and to help control oil. Overall, this powder is just okay compared to Sephora's Tricks of the Trade Translucent Blotting Powder which I've used for about a year or so. I can't complain about the price (about $10 CDN at Superstore) but the product seems to just sit on my face instead of blending more with my foundation... it kind of looks chalky at first. As a result of not blending in, it seems to wear off quickly, too. Also, I like a translucent powder that adds a bit of brightness to my skin - this product only does for the first few minutes after applying. I think I'll just have to suck it up and go back to Sephora and fork over $20.

UPDATE: I had to take away a point because the powder "shattered" while I was swirling my powder brush in it! Its SO annoying when this happens, you practically can't use it anymore - well, maybe only at home since the "shattered" powder spills through it's case if you just stick it in your purse.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/31/2011 1:12:00 AM More reviews by Annie9

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

HG... love this stuff. It's very high quality considering the price... I use it to set my liquid foundation. It creates a nice, even matte finish on my skin and makes my makeup last all day!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/8/2010 9:06:00 PM More reviews by ricebunnyrainydusk

I must say I am very surprised by its quality. Marcelle was on sale last month at Shoppers Drug Mart so I randomly picked this pressed power ($8.99 only, which was like 50% off regular price).
I'm a big fan of pressed powers and I've tried a lot of drug store products. The best I've used so far is Physicians' Formula mineral wear face power, but Marcelle is even better than Physicians' Formula because Marcelle lasts longer and provides a smoother finish than PF does.
The only downside of Marcelle is that this power contains talc whereas PF mineral power seems more natural but Marcelle matches my skin tone so that evens out the pros and cons.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/28/2009 1:40:00 PM More reviews by blondie2cute

A good powder that doesn't look like powder. It is nice and soft, however I do not recommend this for sensitive skin. It broke me out because it contains talc. So if you're allergic to talc, STAY away, otherwise, a great product.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/3/2009 8:46:00 PM More reviews by lacette1

I just purchased this pressed powder today in translucent dark... and it looks great... combats my oily skin right away... lets see how long it stay like that for... going to see if i get any adverse reaction on my acne prone / sensitive skin.

UPDATE 3/11/10: I no longer use this, it oxidizes on my face - don't like it.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/11/2007 5:56:00 PM More reviews by jaimebaby

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

i have seen marcelle products around the drugstores for a while but i never really bothered to try them. since i was in a total confusion with powder and never seemed to be really satisfied with them, i decided to try this one. i must say it's amazing!! like other people said, it's very velvety and soft to the touch. it applies very easily and makes your skin look almost flawless! it also doesn't fly everywhere when you're putting it on which i really like. i'm now curious to try other marcelle products too.