Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay

4.4

CALCIUM BENTONITE (green clay)

on 9/1/2015 9:49:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

This product is a pain in the butt to deal with. As others have noted, it's a powder, so you have to mix it (I recommend Apple Cider Vinegar - I get mine from Trader Joe's). It takes about a year to full dry after you apply, itches like a mother once it does, and...well, don't even get me started on removing the thing. I have a complicated routine involving many paper towels, because this stuff starts clogging my drains the second a little bit escapes down my sink/shower.

And yet here I am, giving it 5 stars. Because this is the best mask I have ever put on my face, and it cost me $7 at Whole Foods for a jar that is lasting me the better part of a year (for reference, I recently purchased grapes from Whole Foods that ended up being more expensive than this). I have shelled out for the Origins charcoal mask and GlamGlow's original mud mask. This is hands down better than the Origins, and probably better than the results I got from GlamGlow (especially when you factor in the fact that GlamGlow is $60). There is nothing pretty or convenient or glamorous about it, but you know? The best products often are the utilitarian ones, and this is no exception to that.

Packaging is fine. It's in a huge jar - I like that they give you so much. The label is a bit kooky - I recommend doing some internet searching to figure out the best way to mix it for yourself (I do ACV, with a tiny bit of tea tree oil, mixed with a plastic spoon in a plastic bowl). I don't recommend this if you have particularly sensitive skin, and I definitely think you need to wait until it is FULLY dry (which is when you start getting that pulsing sensation) before taking it off. I use it once a week at night, and every time I do, I wake up to amazing skin the next morning. If I have something boiling just beneath the surface, this often helps draw it up to the top, allowing for a bit of extraction + a hydrocolloid dressing.

I'm also suuuuuper acne prone. While spironolactone keeps the hormonal stuff under control, I do like that this helps me deal with the little spots that pop up when I have not been washing my face correctly. I'd imagine that it would really be of use to anyone who is dealing with moderate-serious acne.

This is very cheap and the rave reviews seem pretty consistent across the board. I highly recommend giving this a try!

on 8/30/2015 10:49:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Neutral

I was so excited to use this mask bc of all the good reviews.. but unfortunately it broke me out a lot. I'm not sure though, it may have been a mixture of overusing the mask and my period coming up. I used it for two weeks about 4-5 times and I have new pimples in places I never had acne before. I have read that it's supposed to break you out at first and then it helps you but I can't afford all the acne marks it's gonna leave behind. I'm done using it now.

Ps. I also did not use raw ACV maybe that was where I went wrong, I used regular ACV to mix it but I think it was just too much for my skin.

on 8/30/2015 6:28:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Dark, Not Sure

I've only used it a couple times so far, but I LOVE this stuff! I mix it with the apple cider vinegar, both bought at Whole Foods Market. I have acne-prone skin and I can tell a difference in pimple size after using this mask. It's worth the try.

on 8/28/2015 4:21:00 AM

I've only used this stuff twice so after a few weeks I'll update this review. The first time I used it I mixed it with water with the ratio it suggests and it was way too watery, i had to just play around with it till I got it right. I left it on for only about 15 minutes and rinsed it off (which was a b*tch). This stuff is messyyyy. Anyway my skin was red for about 20 minutes but it warns you about that. It really did pulsate my face which was pretty cool. The 2nd time I used it I mixed it with ACV and despite the smell it worked fine. Better consistency although I didn't notice any difference in my results. I suggest using the ACV it really did a better job dissolving the powder. Hopefully I'll see some results after using it for a while because after these two uses the only results I got were SLIGHTLY softer and smoother looking skin and also temporary tomato face lol.

on 8/23/2015 6:45:00 AM

This stuff is insane!! It's like no other mask you'll use as it really draws out all the impurities and brings blood flow to the skin. I didn't love it the first couple of times but think I've worked out how to get the best out of it. My tips:

Leave it on till it's really dry, not just 'touch' dry. You will feel your face pulsating, this is a sign that the blood flow is increasing.

To take off: It's impossible to remove by peeling or rinsing so here's my tip - splash your face so the mask is soft once again. Scrape off using the blunt edge of a plastic knife or small spatula.

It says the large tub will do 10-15 masks but this is rubbish, I get a thick layer from one tsp of clay so it will last me forever.
Try it!!

on 8/22/2015 2:36:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

One of the best, if not thee best mask I've ever tried on my skin!
my face just loves this stuff, given I have acne prone skin, this helped me a tremendous lot with healing my cystic acne (I mix this stuff with a equal amounts of cinnamon and turmeric powder before I dissolve them in apple cider vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil), I wake up next day with 90% smaller cystic bumps. a definitely well worth purchase.

on 8/19/2015 1:24:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm

Hair: Brunette, Other, Coarse

IN LOVE with this product. This is my go-to, all-reliable new favourite product.
I have oily, acne-prone skin and this product does everything - I can count on it to shrink pimple size, eliminate the growth of cysts, mattify my face, and improve my skin texture. After I wash it off, my face feels very clean and smooth. Also I am prone to those tiny pimples and congested skin after a long day or improper removal of makeup -- this mask really helps with that.

I recommend using it mixed with apple cider vinegar. Mix in a little bit of water to get a runny consistency (you don't have to but it's easier to apply). It says to leave it on for 10 minutes but honestly I leave it on for like 2 hours +. I have even left it on overnight before and was delighted with the results (my pimples shrink in size significantly!)
What I love about this product is that its claim that it will make your skin "pulsate" is true. However, if you use it everyday it doesn't always have that effect but I guess when you feel the pulsating sensation, you know it's really working.

In conclusion, I cannot recommend this enough if you have acne and even if you just want a weekly mask to decongest your skin - you will not regret this purchase :)

on 8/6/2015 7:44:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Dark, Not Sure

This healing clay is better than going to the spa and paying a ridiculous amount of money when you can do it yourself and use better product like this stuff.

on 7/29/2015 10:02:00 PM

I absolutely love this mask and apply it on the regular at least once a week. Put on a favorite show and let it sit usually 30 min, I mix it w milk (lactic acid for exfoliation ) and garlic as well as few drops of fresh lemon juice. Smell doesn't bother me, results are amazing. I usually make a batch of it once a month and freeze it in small bags so that it's not a chore but rather spa like expirience. I think you could come up w infinite recepies but I love this one the best since milk makes it really creamy and lovely to put on. I've tried Bulgarian rose oil and milk too and it's amazing. To note my skin is very acnegenic and this keeps it nice and clear. Five stars all around .

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Warm

Hair: Red, Curly, Medium

I bought this while on vacation, so naturally I didn't have any AC vinegar with me at the time, so I just used water. It didn't mix too well, and was applying in chunks. As it dried it felt a little too drying; didn't notice too much of a difference in my skin as I rinsed. HOWEVER, when I got back home, I tried it with ACV like the container suggested, and it made a lovely, creamy, muddy consistency that we all love! It also started fizzing as soon as the ACV was added, and I think this contributed to the smoothness and easier mixing. While applying this, it went on smoothly, and I could build up the thickness on the areas I needed it. I could actually feel it pulsate rather than just pull and dry (like it did with the water) and it felt really cool! As soon as I washed it off, my skin felt smooth, and a lot of my acne had been brought closer to the surface to be treated. One of my whiteheads actually disappeared as I wiped off the mask (I guess the mask sort of dissolved it?). The next day, my skin was clearer, and my acne had gone down a lot in redness, swelling, and size. Just make sure you moisturize very well after this mask and you should be great!!