LUSH Caca Rouge Henna

3.5

Red Henna (Lawsonia inermis), Fair Trade Cocoa Butter (Theobroma cacao), Fresh Lemon Juice (Citrus limonum), Powdered Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis), Clove Bud Oil (Eugenia caryophyllus), *Citral, *Eugenol, *Geraniol, *Citronellol, *Limonene, *Linalool, Perfume.

on 4/19/2015 10:42:00 AM

Not worth the mess.

on 4/19/2015 10:36:00 AM

Hair: Black, Kinky, Medium

There are several reasons why I wouldn't want to repurchase this product:
1. It's so time-consuming. The instruction is that you rinse off the henna after 2 hours, but according to the most helpful reviews here, most people need at least 4 hours for the product to set it.
2. It's advertised as being environmentally friendly, but the amount of water needed to rinse off the Henna offset it.
3. It's so messy. I ended up with a dirty bathroom to clean up.
4. It's quite hard to apply. The mixture is clumpy and even though I sectioned my hair into 10 parts and used both a brush and my hand to apply, I feel like I din't get the most out of the product.
5. The price is steep.It's marketed as being a great conditioner, you'd better off buying henna from indie shops and make your own hair treatment.
6. My hair looked barely different. I have done a thorough research on Henna and I didn't expect my hair to change color, but I certainly didn't bay $27 for a hair dye which only works as a conditioner.
That being said, the product did teach you to plan ahead and being organized, otherwise you'll end up wasting a whole day and your kitchen looked like the aftermath of a Dexter murder.

on 4/14/2015 10:20:00 AM

I tried Lush's Caca Rouge for the first time yesterday after doing some research. I stopped using hair dye a couple years ago, wanting to avoid the harsh chemicals, but my sister-in-law gets beautiful results with henna, so I decided to give it a go.

First: The staff member that helped me at Lush was wonderful and informative. I also loved the minimal packaging. I got it home, and rather than mess with the whole double-boiler thing, I did as the staff suggested and simply shaved the blocks into small chunks/ powder with a knife. I did this over a paper bag so that I wouldn't lose any of the fine powder. It took about 5 minutes using a very sharp knife. I dumped the powder into a metal bowl and used a pestle to grind the remaining small chunks. In the meantime I had my kettle going. By the time I was done grinding, the water was ready. I poured it and mixed to get the proper consistency...it only took about a minute before it looked like brownie batter. Ready to go!

Bathroom setup: I laid garbage bags over the vanity and on the floor, removed my clothing, and put vaseline around my hairline to reduce skin staining (as I would do with any hair dye.) I put on disposable gloves and got started. Using the fingers is easiest in my opinion...it went on just fine. I did not have an issue with flakiness...I'm thinking those ladies who have trouble in that department didn't add enough water maybe. It is thicker and goopier than traditional hair dye, and yes it does tend to splatter and plop everywhere, hence the garbage bags. I just kept scooping it back up and applying it. I carefully coated my roots first, then all of the strands. I twisted it up into a ball, wrapped plastic wrap around the whole works (I used Press 'n Seal which works WAY better than saran wrap) and wiped away any residual dye that got on my skin. I then cleaned up the clutter, put a wool hat over the plastic to catch any drips, and went about my day!

Time: It only took me half an hour to prep and apply using this method. I waited about 4 hours before washing it out. This is best done in the shower, preferably with a detachable showerhead, It takes some scrubbing and repeated applications of shampoo to get it all. Don't stop washing until you can't feel any more grittiness! I spent a good 20 minutes washing it out, and then washing the shower. I ended up with a good handful of hair coming out, but I know that's normal with this sort of process. I couldn't wait for my hair to airdry...I was pretty nervous at the result, as I started with virgin dark blonde hair and wasn't sure if it would look clownish. I needn't have worried- after blowdrying it, I ended up with a gorgeous, vibrant color that was soft and shiny. I am so excited about the result! It was a tad pricey, and it smells VERY strong, but I don't feel that those are big drawbacks with results like this. I will definitely be using it again!

on 3/30/2015 9:58:00 PM

i bought this product to help my very damaged hair and have a hair change. i have sandy blonde hair that was very damaged and fried, i heard this was moisturizing and gave a great bright red color and saw many AMAZING reviews so thought i'll try it and i did... 3 times, 1 time i tried there were no real results other than some very very faint orange patches and a HUGE mess in my bathroom. about a year later i thought i would try it again... same as the first time. this time the most recent (last night) same thing. and i can't figure out what i did wrong? i followed the directions completely and applied it to my hair evenly. anyway don't buy this overpriced brick of green mud. terrible, my hair is dry and patchy and awful.

on 2/5/2015 12:45:00 PM

I have used Lush caca rouge henna a good few times now and I love it! The first thing I'd say about henna is that it smells. I wouldn't say it's a bad smell but it's definitely potent and earthy but bearable. The next thing, it's time consuming and Messy! You'll need old clothes and to cover your floor when applying. Personally, I grate 2 squares of henna so that it's fine, pour in boiling water and then stir it into a yoghurt-like consistency. Pop it on and wrap in cling film and after that I wear an old hat and leave it to soak in for 5 hours. It's great to do on a lazy day! I won't lie, rinsing it out takes some serious elbow grease but the result is totally worth it! It leaves my hair super soft, shiny and brings out beautiful warm copper, auburn and red tones.

on 1/27/2015 12:02:00 AM

Huge tip to all you ladies:
If you want something equally effective, way cheaper, much less messy, easier to use and easier to customize, go to your local Middle Eastern, Halal or South Asian store and buy henna for hair there. Some good brands are Jamila and Noorani. Lush is ripping you off!

on 1/21/2015 7:31:00 PM

My go-to when my hair needs a color boost, some spunk or I just need a change. Henna, unlike chemical hair dyes, acts like a varnish. This means more shine, prettier fading when the colour gets worn(in my case fading starts after at least 4-6 weeks) AND happier hair! I use 2 squares on my short-ish but THICK hair, so it's really worth it for me. The smell can easily be dealt with by adding lemon, ginger, coffee or red wine(yup!). Or just use one of the Lush shampoo bars when you rinse. After the first time, you'll learn how to minimize the mess and how thick or thin you want the mix to be. Love it!

on 1/8/2015 6:20:00 PM

This product is presented beautifully in a patterned brick and smells lovely - I don't know what everyone is talking about with the horrible smell, it smelled like incense to me. However, I'm not exactly impressed with the results. I read that the colour comes out differently if you leave the henna uncovered, so I left one test strand exposed to and covered the other one in layers of cling film. I left the henna in for six hours before I rinsed it out. When I dried it I expected it to leave me with an auburn shade, or at least a red sheen. I was left with nothing on both strands. Sure it conditioned the strands I applied it to, but if I hold my test strands against the rest of my hair I can't see a difference. I won't be using the rest of the block. I don't mind so much as it was more of an experiment, but I don't think I'll be buying LUSH henna again in a hurry.

on 9/7/2014 11:45:00 AM

You're better off using henna from your local indian shop. This henna only acted as a hard to wash out deep conditioner

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

Okay, I will start by describing what my hair used to be like, before I joined the Lush universe. Six months ago, my hair wasn't in a brilliant condition. It used to be really crunchy, frizzy, and used to get ridiculously knotty. It had only ever been dyed once (two years ago), and I never bothered with heat styling. I suppose I didn't know how to look after my mouse-brown, wavy hair.
Now, when I dyed my hair that one time, I wanted to go auburn-ish. However, as we all probably know, chemical boxed red dye is notorious for fading away rapidly, so I didn't bother again. However, I got bored with my mouse colour. By April, after establishing a new Lush hair care regime, my hair was a lot better (I use Curly Wurly, Jungle, R&B and H'Suan Wen Hua for the record), and I came across the henna when I went to get more Jungle. Curious. I'd never heard of henna hair dye before! But this was more than just a curious hair dye for me. I've been trying to reduce my palm oil usage, and avoid anything that's been tested on animals like the plague, so I knew I couldn't miss it.
Now, the product. I won't sugar coat anything by saying that this stinks, and it's a mess. However, it makes for a very relaxing day- I leave this on for five to six hours (in fact, I've got some on my head now!), and you can use those hours to unwind and treat yourself. It looks like your head's had an unhealthy episode (I'll leave it at that), and it's a pain in the butt to wash out, but the results are so worth it. I don't use just boiling water- I use a big bowl of very hot, extra strong, sugarless and milk free tea to melt the henna as I've read that tea is excellent at bringing colour out. I also add cinnamon, wrap my head in several layers of clingfilm, and put on a heavy woolly hat or wrap a big towel around my head.
Before I used the henna, I never really got that many compliments for my hair. Some, but not many. However, now I have lots of people complimenting my hair, calling it beautiful, and asking what I use to look after it (even my nurse insisted on playing with it when I was having a blood test!). Gone are the days of random tangles, and looking like I've been electrocuted. Now my waves are shiny, soft, an everyone likes playing with it. The colour is incredible, too. It's a lovely, deep, rich auburn colour which can look cherry red in some colours. After you've used the henna a couple of times (henna never completely goes away, it layers up so every time you apply it, you'll get a more vivid colour), the fading is very slow.
Top marks, Lush!