September 21, 2014 | 1986 users online

Hair - LUSH - Caca Rouge Henna

image 0image 1image 2

rated 2 of 5 on 9/7/2014 11:45:00 AM More reviews by TheMaisha

You're better off using henna from your local indian shop. This henna only acted as a hard to wash out deep conditioner

rated 5 of 5 on 9/1/2014 7:04:00 AM More reviews by LemurLover95

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Okay, I will start by describing what my hair used to be like, before I joined the Lush universe. Six months ago, my hair wasn't in a brilliant condition. It used to be really crunchy, frizzy, and used to get ridiculously knotty. It had only ever been dyed once (two years ago), and I never bothered with heat styling. I suppose I didn't know how to look after my mouse-brown, wavy hair.
Now, when I dyed my hair that one time, I wanted to go auburn-ish. However, as we all probably know, chemical boxed red dye is notorious for fading away rapidly, so I didn't bother again. However, I got bored with my mouse colour. By April, after establishing a new Lush hair care regime, my hair was a lot better (I use Curly Wurly, Jungle, R&B and H'Suan Wen Hua for the record), and I came across the henna when I went to get more Jungle. Curious. I'd never heard of henna hair dye before! But this was more than just a curious hair dye for me. I've been trying to reduce my palm oil usage, and avoid anything that's been tested on animals like the plague, so I knew I couldn't miss it.
Now, the product. I won't sugar coat anything by saying that this stinks, and it's a mess. However, it makes for a very relaxing day- I leave this on for five to six hours (in fact, I've got some on my head now!), and you can use those hours to unwind and treat yourself. It looks like your head's had an unhealthy episode (I'll leave it at that), and it's a pain in the butt to wash out, but the results are so worth it. I don't use just boiling water- I use a big bowl of very hot, extra strong, sugarless and milk free tea to melt the henna as I've read that tea is excellent at bringing colour out. I also add cinnamon, wrap my head in several layers of clingfilm, and put on a heavy woolly hat or wrap a big towel around my head.
Before I used the henna, I never really got that many compliments for my hair. Some, but not many. However, now I have lots of people complimenting my hair, calling it beautiful, and asking what I use to look after it (even my nurse insisted on playing with it when I was having a blood test!). Gone are the days of random tangles, and looking like I've been electrocuted. Now my waves are shiny, soft, an everyone likes playing with it. The colour is incredible, too. It's a lovely, deep, rich auburn colour which can look cherry red in some colours. After you've used the henna a couple of times (henna never completely goes away, it layers up so every time you apply it, you'll get a more vivid colour), the fading is very slow.
Top marks, Lush!

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 8/21/2014 8:07:00 AM More reviews by SapphireRoses80

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Neutral Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I've used henna in my hair and on my hands for decades and can honestly say never experienced so much waste of product as I did with Lush's caca rouge henna. The consistency right off the bat is too dry even after adding heaps of boiling water to it. I paid $27 for this but in the process of putting it on, you lose about $15 because it's getting flung on the walls, floor, toothbrush, toothpaste, mirror, outlets, and anywhere else you can think of. Maybe this product is more fitting for Dexter since he's always got plastic sheets laid out everywhere. My mom has been also using henna in her hair for the past 40-50 years and she happened to be over while I was doing this and knew this was crap the second I showed it to her after mixing it. The actual application is more difficult than it needs to be, after sectioning off my hair, getting an even application is impossible because the henna flakes off. I left this on for 8 hours and slept with a bag on my hair and a towel on my pillow. When I got in the shower to get this out, I felt like I was washing dirt, blended mulch, and twigs out of my hair. It took me 4 times to wash this out. As for the color, I have dark brown/black hair, it made my grey hairs golden brown. Added a bit of shine and a little bit of reddish brown color. I'm giving it 2 stars for at least adding a little color and intriguing my senses to try something different. I will not repurchase this and will stick to to my own henna concoction I've been doing for years.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/12/2014 9:12:00 AM More reviews by Stella1002

Man, did I have such high hopes for this product! But I guess when you have expectations you're just setting yourself up for disaster, right?

I purchased the Lush Caca Rouge at the mall closest to my house, and having known almost all the employees it was not a hard decision to purchase this product. They alerted me that my hair would be a vivid reddish color and I was SO stoked!
I went to the register and paid, $27, which was extremely steep for henna! Being an experienced henna extraordinaire (and by that I mean I've henna'd my hair every 4 months for the past few years) I was shocked at the price! But no matter, I was sure it would turn out great.
So I went home and followed the directions to a tee. Weird directions at that, double boiler seemed completely unnecessary. I applied the henna and waited 2 and a half hours, which is the longest I've ever let henna process. I washed the gritty, slimy goop out of my hair (henna isn't normally gritty, and the cocoa butter made it slimy and run down my neck constantly.)
To my disappointment my hair had turned maybe a shade darker! That's all! My already naturally highlighted brown hair was just an all around brown color. Man was I upset!
But I will say my hair was very soft! But that's only after 3 washes required to get all of the gritty residue out from my tresses.
All in all, I would NOT recommend this product for someone who is looking to naturally and chemically free trying to change the color of their hair! I've had way, way better luck with $2.99 powdered henna from my local middle eastern/Indian grocer! I think I'll just stick with that from here on out!

rated 4 of 5 on 7/27/2014 7:33:00 PM More reviews by chixxle

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Tan, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've used this henna twice now and it worked pretty well both times. I have dark brown, almost black hair with orange ombre on the ends. I use three blocks every time for my bra length, fine hair and it always ends up being too much. I do this pretty late at night and just sleep with it on. It can get pretty uncomfortable but pain=beauty. The first time I used it my hair felt soft and the rusty orange ends because BRIGHT orange and the rest of my hair got a red tint in the sun. If you can get past the discomfort, mess and washing it out then I would definitely try this product out.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/21/2014 12:05:00 PM More reviews by jessicafrankie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

Lush's henna was incredibly hard to prepare, and involved putting hot waxy paste into my hair, which was incredibly hard to wash out. I followed the directions to a T. You have to keep the mixture hot like the directions say because I found that unless the mixture was annoyingly hot, it would start to re-solidify and start to break my hair as I was putting it in. after putting it in, it sort of solidifies again on your head like candle wax would do. This made washing it out incredibly long and tedious. The worst part is that after I had washed it out, there was only a slight tinge to my naturally medium blonde hair! I thought that because my hair light colored and natural (not dye or anything), that it would be a nice bright color, but instead it looked like I had gone swimming in orange coolaide and was left with a slight hint of it stained in my hair. I thought it was something I did, so I went back to the Lush store, and the girl told me to try again and leave it in longer, so I bought some more, and did exactly what the girl told me to, and alas still the same effect! It wasnt even darker! I gave up after spending way to much on this useless product (twice!), and bought some "body art quality" organic powdered henna from an online store after I googled "body art quality henna for hair". When I did this stuff, there was no heating, no block of waxy henna, and no hair breakage when I put it in. This stuff had to be made the night before with water and lemon juice, and set over night, and it was a bit goopy, but man did it work! I went from a tinge of orange to red-crimson hair! I'd say skip the Lush bar and go straight for the real deal because after reading alot online, it seems that you should not mix conditioners or oils with your henna because it blocks the color from sticking to your hair. This makes sense to me bacause Lush did leave my hair feeling soft (albeit a bit waxy/ oily), and the regular powder henna did not leave an oily residue. I'd use henna if I had the desire to get a good conditioning treatment with a tinge or orange to maybe go overtop of naturally red hair, but otherwise, just go for the undiluted powdered henna.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/19/2014 2:36:00 PM More reviews by franniwinkle

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

Brunette which has recently been stripped using colour b4 hair dye remover.

GETTING THE PRODUCT
I bought caca rouge after reading reviews about henna and I had found out that powdered body art quality henna is really expensive here in the UK (at least where I looked!) Anyway, lush's all natural product looked like it had got some good reviews, and I also checked youtube for some tutorials. I bought it and it was delivered in eco packaging and came in block form, wrapped in cellulose, complete with a pair of gloves and an instruction booklet. The block, when unwrapped, feels rough to the touch but my GOODNESS it smells incredible, like turkish delight mixed with fresh cut grass! I don't know why people were saying it was horrible, but maybe if you're used to processed chemical perfume smells then you won't like it. It's a very natural, earthy smell.

PREPARING THE HENNA
After collating lots of info from here on Makeupalley (thank you!) and everywhere else on the internet I could find, I used four blocks of the bar (saving two for my root touch up!), chopped it up with a big knife like you would with chocolate, poured into a plastic bowl over simmering water and added about a cup of lemon juice from the bottle, which I had read makes the colour more intense. I topped up a few times with water from the kettle until it was thick like yoghurt. One bad point that someone else made is that the lumps of unmelted henna take AGES to finally melt, to help this along I squished them with my wooden spoon against the side of the bowl. It never got fully smooth but it was mostly. When you melt it down and add the lemon and water, the smell gets more complex and strong; it transformed from turkish delight and grass to turkish delight, citronella and fruit cake!

PREPARING THE BATHROOM
I did my application in the bathroom. I covered the floor in newspaper and got some cling film and woolly hats ready. I brought the bowl of henna and the saucepan of hot water up to keep the henna as hot as possible, which makes it more effective apparently. I got naked. Yes, I didn't trust myself to wear clothes and somehow this made it more fun! I got in the bath (empty of course), put some tunes on and put my gloves on.

APPLYING THE HENNA
Firstly, I covered my hairline and ears liberally with vaseline.
I didn't really have a plan of action with applying the henna, but I did read that you should start at the roots and really cake the henna on, so I treated this like sculpting exercise as opposed to traditional at-home hair dyeing. I started at the front of my head with a small section of hair, scooped some henna (which was really hot so be careful!) and applied it thickly to the roots and spread it down the hair to the ends. It doesn't act the way you think it will, it's very gritty and almost goes solid when you put it in your hair. Apply lots. When applied, I coiled the hair a bit and stuck it to my scalp. I continued doing this with the strands next to the irst one, and kept adding the coated lengths to the initial coiled bit, forming a bun. This made it really easy to keep the hair on one place, and to see the bits I hadn't done. When finished, I had a huge heavy bun on the front of my head and the bath and my body were COVERED in henna. Luckily, none got anywhere else in the bathroom! I washed down with a flannel and my skin was bright orange! It really takes well on my skin! I rinsed the bowl, spoon and pan in the bath to save trailing henna-ey water through the house. I put my hair in several layers of cling film (tightly!) and put on three woolly hats to keep my head warm which reddens the henna, but also makes you look like a conehead.

WAITING
I left the henna to develop for five hours, during which I blasted my hats with the hairdryer on hot a few times. The weight of the henna plus hats relly hurt my neck after a while, and the henna dripped around my ears and forehead a little, which I remedied by wiping with a face wipe. Luckily I work from home and don't really see anyone during the day so it didn't bother me that it took so long to develop. However, if you're used to doing box dyes then make sure you do this on a day where you don't have to go anywhere.

WASHING THE HENNA OFF
After five and a bit hours, I filled a bath of warm water until nearly full, took all the cling film and hats off to reveal a clump of dried, heavy mud. I dunked my head into the bath, which really hurt my scalp as even the henna on my shoulder length hair weighed an absolute ton. The key here is not to try to scrub the henna out, because your hair will not budge. Instead, what I did was let it soak for a minute then started moving the hair around to loosen the henna. it eventually all loosened and I ran my fingers through my hair to get rid of the majority of the lumps and grains of henna. I don't think I would have been able to loosen it without dunking it in the bath and letting it melt again.

When the bath looked like a poo party, I drained the water and started with the shower head. I shampooed my hair with baby shampoo (because of the colour remover) and gave it a good scrub to get the bits out. I finished with a conditioner, letting it soak for a few mintures and washing it off.

AFTERWARDS
The bath was a state, but I cleaned it up just fine - it didn't stain. The towels were all clean, too!

RESULTS
No words or even photos could possibly tell you how good the results were. I dried my hair with the hairdryer and normally I would use my argan oil serum to get tangles out. There were no tangles and my hair felt really strong.

I never thought I would see my hair so shiny! It's a true deep shine. There are no visible split ends and it's so silky. The colour? Wow. It's orange-red in the light and cherry-red-auburn in the shade. It changes depending how the light hits it. I tried taking a pic but it doesn't truly show the depth of the colour. I am over the moon!

rated 2 of 5 on 6/9/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by Fark222

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

After a couple of failed attempts with an ombre kit this year (where my virgin hair essentially rejected any hair dye I had the courage to apply), I decided that if I couldn't quell some of my fading red mane, I would try to enhance it! After browsing the Lush website by mere chance, I came across Caca Rouge.

Obviously, like the conscious consumer I try my best to be, I looked up reviews, before/after shots and other alternatives, but Caca Rouge just seemed like the natural choice- literally! It's all organic!

Well, on the bright side, my hair took to the colour. On the not-so-bright side, my hair is more of a fluorescent orange that I expected-- despite the fact that I left the henna on my head for only 2 hours (using roughly 2 of the squares).

And not only was the dye a mess to apply (even after following the instructions to a tee), but it was a pain to get out!

I can't help but laugh because this seems like it was pulled right out of Anne of Green Gables.

I still have a lot of henna left, and I think if I intend to try it out ever again I might have a friend help me with the technique and distribution.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/16/2014 6:12:00 PM More reviews by EmiTheGreat

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Back in 2012 I dyed my naturally black hair caramel. I really used to love the colour, but after some months unfortunately my hair began to feel like straw. I didn't want to torture it again with chemical substances so I decided to try it natural. I ordered some Indigo (black henna) from an online store, which I applyed. And so I had my black hair again, but the straw was still there. A friend reccomended me to try henna and pramsed me that it won't dye the black hair red, so I decided to give it a try and bough Lush Caca Rouge.
IThe package contains a guide, but you will need: towels, gloves and a showe cap or plastic film.
It is a solid block made of all natural ingredients. It contains persian henna, which is very high in quality and some nourishing ingredients like coconut oil.
The application is quite difficult. You have to melt the block in a bowl with boiling water, wichich is easier if its crushed. It is easiest when you wrap it into a towel and beat it with a hammer or a baseball bat. ;) The paste should be creamy, not to sticky so it is easier to apply, not to liquid so it won't run down on you clothes. Coat your whole hair with the paste, it's best to work by sections with the assistance of someone. wrap your hair into film or put on a shower cup. The guide says, let it sit for 2 hours, Emi says, let it sit for 5 hours, then rince it out well.
It's always important to remove all of the drops and stains on your skin and on other items.

After I did this, my hair felt very soft again, it hat a light reddish shine, but did still look natural.
Some week after this I tried normal red henna mixed with coconut milk, and I had almost the same result, but still I think, Caca Rouge is worth a try and worth the price.:)

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 3/6/2014 5:07:00 AM More reviews by sophiasjdu

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Black

This review is for the Caca maroon as there isn't a separate listing for that.

Read if you want to use this henna dye for dark/virgin oriental asian hair. I will have some general tips at the end as well.

Unfortunately, the Caca maroon didn't work for my hair. I knew from the beginning that it wouldn't really colour my hair, but I was expecting at least somewhat of a reddish shine under the sun, but that didn't happen either. I used 3 blocks for my just blow shoulder length hair and I did as much as I could to boost the effect of this product. I added lemon juice, wrapped my hair in cling wrap, heated it with a blow dryer, covered it with a winter hat to store heat and left it on for 5 hours...now my hair has a slightly browner, hazel shine under the sun. The only thing I could think of that may have been a problem is that I took too long to apply and it cooled down in my hair?

On the bright side, my hair does seem to be healthier. I guess I could still use the rest of it as a hair treatment.

Some general tips.
Some people find it really hard to break the brick. For me that was actually the easiest part of the process. Just take a cleaver to it, and a hammer to the cleaver and chop it into the 6 blocks. Then put the blocks in a bag and smash it with a hammer.

Melting was also easy. I finished at a greek yogurt consistency, though I would recommend getting it a bit runnier, or else it will dry too fast in your hair, crumple and fall before you can finish the whole head.

Washing it out was the most difficult part. I don't recommend washing it in a plugged tub of water, the henna will float and stain all around the tub. Try maybe getting the most off in the sink (smaller area to clean) or a bucket before getting into the shower. Some people wash with conditioner only, I tried that and it didn't work out well. There is so much coca butter, you really need to do a shampoo to get everything out. Or else, your hair will look greasy and smell funny the day after.