October 23, 2014 | 1857 users online

Masks - Oatmeal Mask

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/9/2014 2:26:00 PM More reviews by AgentMakeup007

A back story on how I discovered this product for beauty: My skin has been FREAKING OUT this past two weeks and has been developing pimples everywhere, especially my forehead! I have been anxious because I know my culprit is hormonal (period) but I didn't know what to do! I have used soaps, moisturizers, ice, you name it; and nothinghashelped. I read someone on Google mentioning that oatmeal was great at reducing inflammation and helping skin with acne. I had nothing to lose at this point if I tried it!
What I did was mash up damp oatmeal oats and add a tiny drop of extra virgin olive oil to the mixture. I took the paste and put it all over my clean face in patting motions so that it would stick. I massaged it in and let it dry for about twenty minutes. Then I removed it with water in the sink, and I do not kid you: My pores are smaller, my skin is brighter and tighter, redness gone, and acne scars are dry and peeling off. Oh my goshhh I feel I discovered a treasure!!!!
This is totally my weekly mask regimen and I will sure do it before I have an important event! Love love love!!!
PS: I took a lippie off because of the messy disaster this is to wash off.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/1/2014 10:15:00 AM More reviews by spaflam

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

So many topical (as well as culinary) skin care uses.
Soothing baths for rashes, face masks, body treatments.

Cheap and easy to find.
A "back bar" esthetician's staple.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/6/2014 8:04:00 PM More reviews by viv85e

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I've been using this for a month with good results. It does what I expected: cleanse, moisturize and exfoliate (a little). I don't use this to take off makeup. If I'm wearing makeup I use a face wipe first and then rinse.

How I use it: Blend oats in a food processor so that they are powdery but still have some larger pieces. Store in a small container. In the shower or at the sink I wet about 1.5 teaspoons worth of the oat powder in my hand and massage into my face. Rinse immediately or leave on longer if you prefer.

I like how my skin feels clean and moisturized after each use. It feels balanced, not too oily or dry and looks even. On days where I feel like I need extra cleansing power, I add a little bit of CeraVe face wash to the oats.

As others pointed out, it is kind of messy to wash with oats but not impossible to use. I try to wash my face when I'm in the shower instead of at the sink.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/18/2014 1:02:00 PM More reviews by Katras

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I tried using it as a face wash but it's too messy for everyday however as a weekly mask, lovely. I take some organic oats and pulverize them in the blender until they become a fine powder and add some witch hazel or rosewater to make a paste and apply. Let it dry and then rinse. It really does helps reduce redness and lightly moisturize skin, and is perfect for vegans who can no longer use yogurt masks.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/8/2014 6:14:00 AM More reviews by monka191

Ive tried oatmeal on my skin couple of times but i couldnt see much results. And the annoying part is that oats are slways falling when facemask dries. Good for eating but not for facrmask.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/21/2014 1:58:00 PM More reviews by karamelsutra

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I grinded the oats and stored them in a mason jar. I would pour about 1/2 a palm size full, sprinkle water and use it as a scrub. My forehead has been breaking out in rashes, maybe it's from my shampoo, who knows. This mask/scrub/cleanser, however you plan to use it, has calmed the redness and itchiness. It's readily available, cheap, and effective.

UPDATE: I decided to put this in a vitamix to finely ground it. Basically to where it was a fine powder. When it's mixed with cold water, it becomes a milky paste. I love it! My skin feels calm, cool, and no longer itchy.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/20/2014 4:33:00 PM More reviews by stls

Oatmeal as cleanser sounded like a good idea so I gave it a try for a week. Put a couple of spoons in a muslin pouch and soaked it in warm water. Then massaged my face with it and occasionally left the remaining liquid for a while. My skin is combination but I get breakouts occasionally. Oatmeal didn't prevent any of them but wasn't supposed to in the first place I guess. It felt somewhat calming but my skin is pretty calm anyway in general. No effect in pore size or oiliness. And it was a bit of a trouble to get it ready every time and wash the pouch. I didn't like scrubbing it because it was messy and too mild to exfoliate.

Overall it was a good experiment but my skin would benefit more from other cleansers at the moment. I'll keep it in mind in case I need a soothing cleanser for a while but will keep tossing some in my bath or foot soak.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/19/2014 7:04:00 AM More reviews by rockhormon

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Oatmeal has made nothing to me. It did not make my skin better at all, though it did not make it worse. I guess I was expecting way too much. I have been using it for more then 2 weeks (once everyday), but nothing in the world happened. If you have like normal skin (not oily or too dry), this wont help you. But since its cheap, you could at least have a try. But be sure to wash your face clean with cold water after using it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/9/2014 1:12:00 PM More reviews by mousquerader

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Coarse Eyes: Brown

I've always been aware of the benefits of natural ingredients like honey, aloe vera gel, and yogurt/milk, but I was never really quite sure why oats were so commonly included in natural skin care recipes or even in mainstream products (like many of Aveeno's). I decided to look it up and found an article on the Huffingtonpost explaining the benefits of oats. (Here is the URL if you're curious: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/11/05/oatmeal-beauty-benefits_n_4214053.html).

To summarize, I learned that oats are great, not only for their obvious use of physical exfoliation, but also because they have naturally occurring compounds that are anti-inflammatory and soothing. It's full of vitamins and minerals and has lipids that help condition the skin. It can also help balance the pH of your skin. Another cool thing I found out is that they contain saponins which are added to shampoo products for lathering qualities. So, overall, it's a pretty useful, versatile ingredient in food AND skincare. Colloidal oatmeal is basically oatmeal that has been ground up into finer particles, and is used in bath water to sooth dry, itchy skin.

I decided to test out the oats for myself since I had very irritated, sensitive skin for some reason. I first tried the method outlined in the youtube video by Bubzbeauty where you clench the whole oats in your hand under water and then apply, but I found this was too messy for me and hard to apply so I didn't feel like I got the full benefits of the oats.

I wanted the oats to be more mask-like to stay on my face longer, so the next time I put the oats in the blender and they became smaller and more powder-like pretty quickly. Even though I blended the oats, they are not exactly powder-y, so you can still use them to exfoliate. In a small bowl, I added honey, plain whole-fat yogurt and a dash of turmeric (all of which have similar skin benefits) to make the oats stick to my skin and enhance the function of this homemade mask. I mixed and applied over my face without any issues of oats falling all over the place and making a big mess. After the mask has been on for 10-15 minutes or however long you'd like to leave it on for, you can use the oatmeal concoction on your face to gently scrub your face. Just rewet a bit by wetting your hands under the faucet (you don't need a lot of water, just have wet fingers is fine), then taking it to your face and rubbing your face in circular motions. Then wash off completely to reveal radiant skin! (Note: Try to keep the oatmeal away from your hairline! It gets hard to wash off after you've left it on as a mask because it gets soggy and just sticks. When washing off the mask, start at the hairline first and sweep the oatmeal towards the center of your face, not up and outward towards the hairline as you would normally if that's what you do normally, anyway!)

My skin feels SO much better now less irritated, more soothed I definitely see myself incorporating oatmeal into my daily routine. It's fast and easy, especially after having ground of a couple handful of oats in the blender and putting them in a container by the sink to use every time I wash my face (without makeup on, of course).

If you're going to try this, I definitely recommend blending the oats up so they're easier to use!

Edited to add: To better reap the benefits of oats, I thought of another great method to try! Take a tablespoon of oatmeal and put it in a container that has a cap. Then, add water (I like to use filtered water) at a 2:1 ratio (2 parts water, 1 part ground oatmeal). The water should immediately turn a milky color. "Massage" or squeeze the oats with a spoon a little bit, then let sit for 10 minutes before it is "ready" to use. You can just leave the oats inside since they just stay on the bottom. To apply, soak a cotton pad into the milky water portion and smooth all over face. It can be drippy, so you may want to squeeze the excess before applying, or just apply it completely soaked and gently pat away the excess with a dry, clean washcloth. It smells slightly of oatmeal at first, but it goes away. This is a great way to have oats soothe your skin all day long! You can wear it under makeup (powder preferably so it doesn't "disturb" the oat toner) and no one will be able to know. :) Just store the unused portions of this simple, easy concoction in the fridge. I wouldn't recommend making too much or leaving it in for longer than a few days (a week max!) because it is perishable and you'll want it to be fresh.

14 out of 14 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 3/26/2014 12:34:00 PM More reviews by klemon822

Oatmeal has saved my skin almost single-handedly. I used the bubzbeauty technique like a lot of others on MUA.

One thing I highly recommend if you find that oatmeal makes your skin dry or scaly is to simply mix a bit of organic honey in after saturating the oatmeal in your hand. This has made all the difference! The honey gently buffs the skin, and is very anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial. When I used just oatmeal, my skin would get irritated and dry. Now I have smooth soft skin.

I also found that when I used just oatmeal, I suffered from pretty bad sebaceous filaments on my nose and cheeks. After mixing with honey, this went away completely.

Oatmeal and honey have greatly faded terrible hyper-pigmentation that had been building up over four or so years in just one month. I still have dark spots on my skin, but they are much lighter than before and some have disappeared completely.