August 30, 2014 | 1790 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - 309B Sheer Red

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 7/23/2014 5:49:00 PM More reviews by swordfern

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I've been trying to get myself comfortable with wearing red lipsticks, and this is one that I can pull off! As the name says, it is sheer, which makes it a good gateway red. It is more of a pink-toned red than orange-toned, which works well with my warm complexion and doesn't feel clown-like. It doesn't last very long, and the tube is difficult to re-cap as the product does not fully retract, but it's still totally worth the $3!!!

rated 5 of 5 on 6/6/2014 8:11:00 PM More reviews by cheesedippable

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

Bought this on a beauty blogger's recommendation because she said it's a wearable red and having never worn red lipstick before, I wanted something that fits the bill of being wearable and cheap in the event that I really don't like it. The lipstick fits all of the bill. At first, I was still afraid to wear it out in public because it goes on pretty opaque. You can of course adjust the opacity by how much you apply to your lips. I did find it difficult to apply it accurately without going outside of my lips, but that's my own fault. As I got more comfortable with wearing red, I bought a deep burgundy/almost brown lip pencil from Prestige called Mocha, another really budget friendly product, and started laying the sheer red on top of it. I just love the dark vampy lips that the combo produced and I found myself more comfortable with the vampy lips than with the NYC lipstick alone. I find that blotting your lips with a tissue after application allows for a more matte look and longer wear and it doesn't feather out of the lips as much. I found a way to make this lipstick work for me and I really like it now!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 6/6/2014 1:13:00 AM More reviews by troo12

I can see how other people may like this lipstick but unfortunately for me, the color clashed with my skin tone. It's almost as though it can't choose between being burgundy or red and that wasn't flattering on my fair skin. However, it is a nice consistency and very pigmented.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/7/2014 9:27:00 PM More reviews by valmont32677

1 of the only red shades I can pull off w/o looking like a clown or like I tried too hard. I can see why ev1 loves this!! It's a bit brown too which is a bonus instead of being so neon. Very classy! I like the packaging coz you can quickly determine which lipstick you have right off because of the clear cap.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 3/5/2014 12:20:00 AM More reviews by shriekingviolet

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Picked this up last week out of curiosity since I'd never tried a lipstick from NYC before and chose this shade as I knew it had a cult following. Sadly, while I can definitely see why this shade is so popular, this color isn't for me. I do like deep red lipsticks a lot, especially when they're semi-sheer like this one is, but the undertone is too warm/brown for my taste. It's a color I might have loved back during late 90s when I was in high school, but these days I prefer cooler toned reds with blue or berry undertones. Anything else just looks muddy or garish to me now.

I do really love the level of pigment though. It hits that Goldilocks spot for me where it's translucent enough to soften the punch of a dark/bold shade of lipstick while still being pigmented enough to achieve opaque coverage when I want it to if I add a second coat. And it can be blotted down to a sheer stain if wearing it full strength is too much at the moment! Products with this level of pigmentation are great if you're the type of person who prefers softer makeup by day and more drama by night. This lipstick can be dressed up or dressed down with very little effort! It'd work just as well at a black tie dinner as it would at work or while running errands on a Saturday afternoon. This versatility is part of what makes this shade so popular.

Quality-wise, this lipstick is pretty good for its lowlowlow price. The formula is no-frills to be sure, but it's comfortable to wear. It's not the best formula I've ever tried from a budget brand, but it's good enough that I'm definitely interested in trying more shades from NYC. Just hauled a few of their Expert Last lipsticks today in fact!

My only real complaint with this product is the packaging. I'm no packaging snob by any stretch of the imagination and I don't have unreasonably high expectations for the packaging of cheap makeup, but man do I hate lipsticks with clear caps! Sure it's nice to be able to see what a lipstick looks like without opening it up, but clear plastic caps are so flimsy! They crack easily and never seem to fit as tightly as caps made from opaque plastic. I find this to be true no matter what brand, what type of product or what shape of tube/bottle/pencil it is. It happens just as often with eyeliner or foundation bottles as it does with lipstick. It's one of my biggest cosmetic pet peeves!

rated 3 of 5 on 2/21/2014 7:41:00 PM More reviews by rose1234

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I bought this red over the holidays for $.99 at CVS. I am NC15 for reference and when I applied this full on, it was hideous. Way too dark and overwhelmed my whole face. My sister who leans a half shade darker and is more olive looked terrible in it, too. So, I put it in my pocket and forgot about it.

Months later, I took out that jacket, found the lipstick and just dabbled a very thin amount on with my fingers. It created such a lovely, wearable sheer red.

EDIT: I am sad because I wish the formula was longer lasting. It seems to wear off so fast! I tried applying, powdering and then applying again, but it started trending towards the nasty color it has when applied too heavily. I reluctantly took off two stars for it since I cannot be reapplying with a mirror at work everytime I sip water.

PROS:
Wearable color when lightly applied.
Formula is not drying
OMG the price!
No bleeding

CONS:
yep, bad packaging
Not long lasting!!!!
Must be carefully applied

rated 5 of 5 on 11/5/2013 5:39:00 PM More reviews by Yashuragi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

If there is such a thing as a 'casual' red lipstick, this is it!
I bought this based off reviews from several beauty bloggers. And I'm glad I did! I love this lipstick!

This lipstick is a muted blue-based red. It is not too bright or loud unlike traditional red lipsticks. Yet it still retains the elegance of a red lipstick.
It is absolutely perfect for when I want some color on my lips, but do not want to sport anything too bright.

Texture is smooth, creamy and does not settle into any lines. It has no shimmer. It feels very light on the lips, just like every N.Y.C. Ultra Moist Lipstick.

Packaging is very fragile and flimsy as usual of cheap drugstore brands. Extra care must be taken when removing the cap or you'll end up smearing the lipstick on it.
You would also need a very secure pouch if you want to bring this along with you throughout the day, because I can easily imagine the flimsy cap falling off and the lipstick making a mess.

But! Packaging is not stopping me from wearing this beautiful casual red lipstick! Absolutely love it, and its easily one of my daily casual lipsticks!

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2013 2:24:00 AM More reviews by hebrides

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I bought this and one other NYC lipstick because they were only $2.99 and I felt I couldn't go wrong. I enjoyed the Sheer Red for 2 days and then it broke in my purse from the heat. It is summer but I carry other lipsticks and they did not melt and break. I don't love it enough to salvage the broken tip and use a brush. I feel it is my duty to say it's not a good formula, it's not good packaging (it always has sticky residue when you finally pry off the tape with a knife), it has a greasy taste and feel and it does not last more than a few minutes. For the record, the other shade was pretty in the tube (304 Mocha) but hideous on the lips. They looked OK worn together. But really this is not a good product. I've enjoyed other shades of theirs without incident. Especially the Mahogany, but it's now too dark for me. My main complaint is the below average quality. Wait till the decent brands are on sale rather than get one of these unless it's an emergency and for short term use. Even then think twice about throwing away $2.99 on a new shade without having a tester. Or at least never carry it around on a hot day. I have to give this product the lowest possible rating on all counts because there are so many good lipsticks around.

rated 4 of 5 on 7/21/2013 11:13:00 PM More reviews by greenbird

A wearable, elegant shade that can be worn as a sheer stain or as a full-on lip color. It has a moisturizing texture, and is not drying like many matte red lipsticks. I am a medium toned Asian who has tried so many red lipsticks. i wanted to look elegant, classy, sexy, and a bit like those pin-ups-but whenever I tried different red lipsticks (Revlon Really Red, NYC retro red, MAC Russian Red, MAC Lady Danger (a very orangey red), MAC Viva Glam 1 (?, it's a dark red but can't remember the number), it just screamed "I'm wearing a red! I'm trying way too hard!" I thought Revlon Really Red and NYC retro red were actually beautiful shades-but not very flattering on me. If you're scared of going too bright and in your face red-this is an extremely wearable color that does not turn pink, fuchsia (that happens a lot when I try a red lip)-try this. For less than a $1.00, it's easy to try. Packaging sucks and is flimsy-but this is a wearable, red that you can put on lightly (after eating, since it's sheer-it doesn't look like you just made out with someone and gets all over the place as a bright red)-or put on fully and have a beautiful classic lip. It's not as bold as the shades I mentioned earlier, but when I pair it with black liquid liner, lashes or thick mascara, and do my brows (I think it's important to groom your brows when you wear red lipstick-it's a much cleaner, groomed look)-you look sophisticated, elegant, classy, and sexy. My boyfriend loved this shade on me, and he's someone who thinks many reds are too loud. I put my hair up sometimes, wear minimal eye makeup (black, winged liner, or neutral eyeshadow), groom my brow, and I feel very timeless. A great red at a low price-don't expect long wear and great packaging. It's a buck-and a buck well spent. I love it.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2013 12:56:00 PM More reviews by jpando

Age: Unknown Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

My favorite everyday red! Very wearable color that does not turn fuchsia on me like most reds. This one reminds me of MAC Tahiti. It is smooth and creamy and very flattering on my pale skin. I stock up on this one in case they discontinue it!! The only drawback is the packaging with this line - the tube does not let you twist the color down far enough so you risk nicking the color when you remove the cap. Just have to be careful! Will always buy this one!