July 30, 2014 | 1951 users online

Cleansers - Shiseido - The Skincare Extra Gentle Cleansing Foam

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/4/2014 9:29:00 AM More reviews by alison_k

I purchased this without having heard of it before, just to meet the requirements for a free gift, but it is actually a very nice cleanser. It foams up well and has a very light but pleasant fragrance that is not overpowering at all.

My skin is dry on my cheeks and very oily on my nose and chin. My face doesn't feel stripped with this cleanser, and it removes all traces of my makeup even long wearing foundation and waterproof sunscreen. You only need the tiniest amount to get a rich lather but you do need to rinse this off really well.

My only real problem with it is the price - I paid $30.50 for this. I like it but I don't think I would purchase again. It is very overpriced for a basic facial cleanser, and I have had similar products for half the price or less. Nice if it is on sale, but at the current price it isn't a rebuy for me.

rated 2 of 5 on 11/6/2013 11:59:00 PM More reviews by aquarianrabbit

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is so drying. I didn't like it at all. I have normal to dry skin with some eczema and this just was not my cup of tea. It's foamy, which I hate, and drying, which is never good. I was really hoping it would do a better job of removing makeup as well, but no. The packaging is really pretty and the cleanser smells good, but that's not going to make up for what it did to my skin. I don't think it's worth the money. Pass.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2013 11:49:00 AM More reviews by loveoutdoors

Decided to give this a go and I am pleased in general. I use this a.m. and it cleanses nicely without stripping my skin of moisture (although I haven't been using it every morning, probably 3 or 4 times per week. Love the feel of the cleanser and how it only takes a little dollup to get the foaming action. I feel the need to rinse really well, if I do I am unable to detect any residue left behind. I believe it's a bit to strong for every am use as my skin is dry/mature/sensitive w/mild rosacea.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/16/2013 11:13:00 AM More reviews by Horny

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

This one of the very rare products that does not leave my skin red after cleansing. I find it foams up well (you only need a pea sized amount) and removes makeup well. However, water resistant sunscreen can be a bit of a struggle to remove with this so I suggest an oil cleanser first. I find it very calming on my irritation prone skin and it was starting to look brighter and more even too! However, even though my skin didnt feel dry at all after washing, after a month I had dehydration lines around my eyes even though I was using a moisturiser. My fingers were also peeling from dryness and this was the only new product I was using at the time. This is a great shame as I thought I had found my HG cleanser! Sob. But alas I have discontinued use for now. I may try it again at some point as I would love to get it to work me somehow!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/20/2013 5:14:00 AM More reviews by nailsnotrockets

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I fell in love with "The Skincare" line when trying a sample of the Night Moisture Recharge Enriched, which did a great job on moisturising my normal-combo skin in the winter. As it became warmer, I went out and purchased the normal version of this, and because I am curious, I bought a try-me pack which included the Extra Gentle Cleansing foam.

So, let's check the claims of this product.
- Extra Gentle?
Yes, it was gentle for my combo skin. I did not feel dried out after cleansing my face with this.
- Cleansing?
It is not enough to remove water-resistant sunscreen, but as a secondary cleanse after oil cleansing, it does well.
- Foam?
This produces a better foam than anything else I have used. It's really fun!

So the claims are all OK, but why does it get only 3 lippies from me?
Firstly, the smell. This smells really strong like soap and yasmin. Being used to the perfume-free Clinique Liquid Facial Soap Mild, it was just overpowering for me.
Secondly, after I rinse this away, my skin doesn't feel clean, it feels sticky. And I can't stand sticky right after cleansing my face. The feeling goes away after a couple of minutes, but this kills this product for me.
I'm very happy that I didn't buy this full size, and I won't repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 5/15/2013 12:43:00 PM More reviews by kikulicious

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

I strongly prefer the white Lucent version! This ones extra gentle but I felt like it was TOO gentle. For something similar and better try shiseido elixir superieur!

rated 1 of 5 on 5/14/2013 3:35:00 PM More reviews by Happpyarrogance

I got a sample at this from sephora so when I ran out of what I was using I used this. I used it two nights in a row 3rd day I woke up with about 3 cystic type pimples on my face around my jaw/chin area and they were kind of painful. I stopped using it after 2 days. They went away couple days later.

About a month later, again, saw this in the shower gave it a shot. I just used it in the shower to take makeup off then use my regular cleanser to do the actual cleaning. I used it a few times for just a quick face rinse and again it gave me several cystic type acne or huge bumps on my face and they hurt to touch again.

Its going in the trash.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/3/2013 12:03:00 AM More reviews by soitgoes

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I am generally impressed with The Skincare Extra Gentle Cleansing Foam (although I will explain later why I might not repurchase this particular one again). Firstly, the lather that I got from this cleanser was nothing I've ever experienced before--it foams extremely well, and the foam is dense. It's this denseness that was extremely novel for me--I've never had any other foaming cleanser have such density to the lather; it feels absolutely luxurious like I'm putting a thickened whipped cream on my face. I feel rather silly saying this, but it's the lather that I look forward to most every time I wash my face--that's how much I love the texture of this product. As for performance, it does really well--perhaps a little too well to be a repurchase. Once I rinse my face of the product (I use it with my Clarisonic), I find that it strips away a little too much moisture from my face. I think I might have loved this a decade ago (in my 20s), but my increasing age is starting to bias my preferences to things that are more moisturizing. What a shame.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/22/2013 10:48:00 PM More reviews by kwill89

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

Love. I have been using this on and off for 5 years. I've always wondered which was better, Shiseido or Bobbi Brown for skin care...This wins! It's also less expensive. I buy the $50 CND "The Skincare 1-2-3" pack which is great for my 23 year old dry and sensitive skin. I use this morning and night, with the Shiseido blemish gel for the odd spots that I get. This is an amazing cleanser, a little bit (and I mean half a pea-size amount) will cleanse your whole face very well. It's soft, it smells great and it leaves the face with a beautiful glow.

UPDATE!!!! HECKKKKK NO!

After a few weeks of using this I realized how HORRIBLE it is for dry skin. Oh my god. It strips the skin and leaves it prone to breakouts. I hate this stuff and I will throw it in the garbage. I thought it was amazing the first few uses...I better get my head checked!!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/8/2013 4:27:00 AM More reviews by SorceressOfTheDark

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have basically dry skin. Shiseido's Extra Gentle Cleansing Foam doesn't dry out my skin when I use it, which many cleansers seem to do lately. Although I'm a fan of the OCM, I still like to mix things up and use a regular cleaning agent for my skin. This one does the job in taking off my eye make-up, my sun protection and my foundation. That's a plus in my book.
The packaging is in a tube, which I always find a tad unwieldy. I always prefer a pump, but a tube is safer and you can carry it with you, although this tube is pretty large to carry around. You only need a tiny bit, believe me when I say a small amount to cleanse your face. This tube lasts quite some time for the price. The first time I could not believe that such a small amount would actually cleanse my face and used too much, but it lathers up into a foam very easily with water.
I've used it with my Ulta battery-operated facial cleansing system, my muslin cloth and my fingers and it works well with all . The Extra Gentle Cleansing Foam leaves my face shiny clean but still soft and a tad dry feeling. I probably am still using too much, not believing how little you need to use and drying out my face needlessly. As I am I becoming acclimated to the product, the less dry my skin is feeling. I probably will try Benefiance next time. Sometimes I just like that squeaky clean feeling when I've been wearing a lot of makeup and want everything off of my face. This definitely makes my skin feel clean but soft, without any irritation or redness. Not fragrancy at all. If you're dry tho, you'll need to continue your regular regimen of serum, moisturizer, etc., afterwards.
Would I repurchase? I would repurchase another Shiseido cleanser without a doubt, perhaps this one or like I said, maybe the Benefiance one for more mature skin. I trust their products and are pleased with the results. Bottom line, a little goes a long way, they last a long time, I see results that I like. Money well spent.