October 21, 2014 | 975 users online

Hair Color - Clairol - Herbal Essences Fearless Colour collection

rated 2 of 5 on 10/1/2009 6:01:00 PM More reviews by sw28

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought HE in Foxy Brown. Thank goodness I did a test strand first! Although the color wasn't ugly, it was way too dark. It was practically black! I went from blonde to medium brown about a month ago. (Had it professionally colored.) The color has faded quite a bit so I'm wanting to dye it a little darker. But, take it from me....do a test strand first if you buy this dye. I'm going to try "Brown to be Wild" and see how that turns out. Of course, I'll do a test strand with that as well!

rated 2 of 5 on 4/11/2009 2:39:00 PM More reviews by OHSHIEEET

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

Wow. I used this in #44, which is supposed to be a deep red shade. Yeah, right. It made my medium brown hair purple. The color swatches on the side of the box couldn't be more wrong. I should have done a strand test, before using this over my entire head, so this is my own fault. I was hoping to get exactly what the box described, a deep, natural-looking red. But my hair is neon purple. If this is red, I can't imagine what shade of the rainbow their burgundy dye is. So now I'm going to need to go to the store to buy a box of color oops. I'm literally embarrassed to go to the store looking like this. While rinsing this stuff out of my hair, it bled forever. I was in the shower for about an hour waiting for the water to run clear. Even after, the water was still pink. Also, a lot of my hair fell out in that shower, which has never happened to me with a dye before. On the upside, this dye didn't smell horrible. Probably the best-smelling hair dye I've ever used. The conditioner was also pretty awesome. My warning to you all out there, do not use Herbal Essences #44, unless you want very unnatural purple hair.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/22/2008 4:46:00 AM More reviews by theboldbrunette

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

My natural hair color is a medium to dark brown. I used Herbal Essences #56 Light Brown (Brown To Be Wild). It turned out great. It lightened my hair to a light brown color. It was easy to apply and didn't drip. It didn't have the harsh chemical smells that some hair color kits have. The conditioner left my hair shiny and soft. I will be using this hair color again. I would recommend this brand to anyone.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/31/2008 8:43:00 AM More reviews by ElectroStatus

I bought the "chocolate velvet" (dark brown) shade. I normally use natural instincts in the medium golden brown shade (which is semi permanent) but I wanted something darker, and the natural instincts brand, I have come to notice, eventually turns brassy.

So I bought this on a whim, looking for a deep, sexy dark brown that doesn't immediately turn my hair *black* like so many drugstore 'dark brown' dyes do. I want it to be dark, but clearly brown.

If you have the same problem, I would recommend this product. It came out a beautiful, actual dark brown that looks very natural and not way darker than the box pictures, or black. As others have mentioned, the conditioner's pretty good. It also must be less harsh on the scalp, because I usually get a dry, itchy head after coloring and this didn't happen.

My one issue with this is that you have to leave it on for half an hour, which is a long time compared to other brands.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/15/2008 9:24:00 AM More reviews by lilypink

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

Well I'm reviewing this having literally finished colouring as I'm really quite excited (I know little things etc.. ;) ) that I seem to have found a colour which looks really good against my skin.
I hope I don't have to edit this and say how dreadful it turns out to be, because I have had a hard time finding a good colour ever since Nice 'n Easy changed their formula to the new one with supposedly natural lights/tones.
Until a year ago was using N&E in Light Auburn. I have naturally very dark (almost black/brown) hair and the auburn gave it light and vitality, looked beautifully even and had good coverage on my few grey bits as well as not destroying the condition of my hair too much. Using their new version of the same colour was disastrous however: I had a horrible purple 'tinge' to it initially, and then with each wash this would leave just purple patches - looked dreadful and did not work at all with my very pale Celtic colouring. I tried other colours from the range but they all had this purple tinge.
I then tried Belle Colour - but even pale colours turned my hair almost black (and I'm trying to get away from the black). I tried Garnier Nutrisse Cream Colour and thought I had found a good one: lovely and silky immediately after application, but my first wash after that left me with straw - truly gross!
So now I'm hoping that this one will be as good as it seems and not let me down in the next days or weeks - but I will definitely report back if it does!
I have used no.56 'Almond Bliss' (which I notice another reviewer hated, but this hasn't gone orange on me at all, though I'm putting it on much darker hair) which is a very natural mid brown with no apparent red undertones but not 'yellowy' either. This is a bit of a departure for me as I have been a bit red for a while and now my hair has gone back more to the colour of my early twenties, and it looks really good with my skin.
I would say that at 47 I have a few greys (not many) which are very resistant, so I'm not sure how well this will stand up to that..but so far, so good. At least it's a colour I can live with and is flattering - not often the case for a home dye!
UPDATE: Well I have been careful not to over wash since colouring, but have now washed a couple of times (not with the same shampoos) and this is standing up well in terms of texture. Unlike the L'Oreal colours or the Garnier Nutrisse Cream this hasn't wrecked my hair. It may need a little bit of care at the ends, but not much more than I was giving it before this application. I don't think it holds the grey that well - but such that I have is soooo resisitant that nothing does very well. The paler colour does help to blend the grey out a bit more than darker or more obviously redder shades do, but I will definitely purchase this, in this particular colour, again.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 7/1/2007 11:23:00 AM More reviews by glossy81

i just used this yesterday. i was drawn in by the pretty pink boxes. anyway i used the chocolate velvet, and so far, so good. the color is so pretty. i usually always use jet or blue black hair color, so this is my first time using a brown hair color. i like it though, it's still really dark but less harsh than my usually black hair. so i really like it. the conditioner is awesome, made my hair really SOFT. since i just bought it yesterday, i cant speak about the longevity of the color yet, but i will update. i color every 6 weeks so if it lasts that long i'll be happy.
EDIT*: ok , after about six weeks i decided to recolor, this time i used brown,cool and collected, number 57. as i was mixing the color, i realized something i forgot to say in my first review, and that is that the color doesnt really look mixed in the bottle. you can still see white splotches no matter how hard you shake it. but this doesnt seem to have an affect on the actual end result, just thought i'd mention that.
i think the descriptions of the colors sometimes dont match what the color looks like on the box. for example, if you look on their site at the color #57, (they have it listed on the site as morrocan night but the actual box says brown,cool and collected) the color is described as medium cool brown, but on the box it looks really dark brown. but the "chocolate velvet" color says dark brown while the model on the box's color looks more reddish medium brown to me. so it seems a little off to me. i say go by the description of the color as opposed to the model's haircolor.

one other thing, the chocolate velvet does come out much darker than what the model on the box's hair looks like, but that was okay with me, because i wanted a really dark brown. other than that i like the product, i dont feel it faded that fast, but maybe it's just hard to tell with a color that it only slightly different from my natural color. but i didnt see a lot of color running when i washed my hair.

rated 4 of 5 on 5/10/2007 9:25:00 AM More reviews by louiseward4582

Hi everyone, i have always used clairol nice and easy... but for some mad reason decided that i change was needed.

I choose to stick to a clariol range of colours as i have always had good experiences with them...unlike loreal's ( lets not start me on the terrible things they had done ot my hair !!!)

I opted for the fearless colour range from herbal essences... i choose the dark blonde ( honey something cannot remember...) anyway i have light brown hair and wanted to go lighter.

The consistancy put me off slightly at first,,, it was very liquid and started to drip from my hair almost straightway. Although the smell was lovely. I left it on 30 minutes and was worried again at first.. my hair with the colour on had turned almost black!!! I had no need to worry as after washing off i was left with a lovely colour. Not as light as i wanted, but lighter than my normal. It also had an amazing shine which i did not get from the nice and easy range. Just hope it lasts!! Would recommend.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/26/2007 5:34:00 PM More reviews by Itisred

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

Melbloom I'm as excited (and as red by the sound of it!) as you are. After an absolutely disasterous experience with L'Oreal Recital Preference, where my beautiful 'strawberry blondish red' hair went brown, a hairdresser friend recommended Herbal Essences as having the best reds in the home colouring spectrum. I bought "Molten Lava" No.35 with little hope my hair could be restored to anything remotely red again, but absolutely desperate. I applied the product and held my breath. I needn't have bothered, for a start my hair is exactly the promised shade on the box. A beautiful shiney red auburn. I have to confess I felt physically sick as I rinsed it out as the dye has a deep purple, almost aubergine hue and I feared a baseball cap moment!!! Once rinsed my hair morphed into such a beautifully natural colour with amazing shine and condition. What amazed me about HE was the smell of the product, it actually smelt quite pleasant, so pleasant in fact I didn't think it was working. The instructions were very clear, the application was straight forward and the recommended timing was spot on. The dye rinsed out well (some others leave my hair feeling matted with colour residue that you can only shampoo out) and I'm thrilled with my new colour. Sadly I know from experience it will fade all too quickly as Red is a very hard colour to keep. it requires dedication and gentle care - but I'm a 'Molten Lava' girl from now on. Thank God for Herbal Essences!

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 on 3/1/2007 4:41:00 PM More reviews by muppet1

my natural colour is light to medium brown, I used '56 Almond bliss light brown' result: orangutang orange. Next i used '62 cocoa infusion medium brown' Result: more carrot than chocolate. Finally months later i used '57 morrocan night medium cool brown' result: more midnight than 'morrocan night' (basically jet black) So guess what? i let my let my natural colour grow through instead and it looks me far better than Horible Essences colour.(they got 1 thing right though because you really do have 2 be 'fearless' to use this crap)

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/14/2007 10:56:00 AM More reviews by leopardskinny

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

I reviewed this dye previously, as it messed up my hair so badly and left me with yellow, trailer trash bleach style hair (I think I used shade XL2, Nude Crystal). After letting my hair grow out it looked worse than ever with the bleach-y bits clashing with my natural dark blonde virgin hair. So I was on the hunt for a dye that would cover my bleachy bits. The only dye that was my natural colour was 26 Honey Fusion Dark Blonde. So I bought it, and went home scared but excited. I completed the strand test, and I knew from this to leave it on for 15 minutes, as the 20 minutes I had left it on the strand for made the hair look almost dark brown. So I applied to my bleached hair only (the tips), and left my natural hair undyed. The smell was gorgeous, and it washed out very easily. Not only that but the conditioner was great. I'm sure they must have reformulated this since I had my disaster with it. When I dried my hair off, I was amazed. The colour was an exact match, and you couldn't tell where the dyed ends began and my natural hair stopped. It was also the first time the model on the box looked like the colour result! I can't reccoment this shade enough- but stay far away from any of the dyes that have XL in front of their name. I was extremeley impressed with this, and I strongly reccomend it. EDIT: Okay I'm taking a lippie off because my colour has faded quite fast, but I'm still going to use this shade again to top up my colour.