July 31, 2014 | 1734 users online

Lipstick - New York Color - Ultra Moist Lipwear - Violet Shine

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2013 6:42:00 PM More reviews by Yashuragi

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I passed by the N.Y.C. rack and decided to pick up Violet Shine because it looked pretty in the tube.
And I'm glad I did!

Regardless of the name, this shade applies as a rose pink on my asian skin tone.
The shimmer is very fine, not chunky or glittery at all. The texture is smooth and applies evenly.
The coverage is very sheer. It applies as a light wash of color and makes for a pretty, casual natural lip. But a warning for ladies with pigmented lips, this may not show up well because of how sheer it is.
What impressed me the most is how light it is! It feels like I'm wearing nothing at all!

Staying power is a little less average. It lasted through a two hour lecture. My average wear
for lipsticks is 4-5 hours before it fades.
Then again, this is not marketed to be a long lasting lipstick, so all is fair.

As with all budget brand lines, packaging is very fragile. If you want bring this around, make sure to place it in a secure pocket or pouch so it won't roll around and make a mess!
However, packaging does not stop me from liking a great lipstick.This lipstick is a great steal to me!

rated 4 of 5 on 4/29/2013 10:44:00 AM More reviews by sharizzle

I bought this product while I was browsing through the cosmetics aisle at a Kmart a week ago. I'm not really into lipsticks, but when I saw how cheap these NYC lipsticks are, I decided to give it a shot. I chose the color Violet Shine randomly, but I really like it! The color isn't as pigmented, which has already been mentioned by other reviewers, but I really like how the pinkish/purple color brightens up my boring plain lips. And it's great for everyday color, that's for sure. I like the simple subtle color and shine, and I love how it's not glittery! I HATE glittery-type lip wear. It's also not sticky at all, which I've found other lipsticks to be. My only complaint about this product is that I feel like it has weak staying-power! I feel like it starts to fade fairly quickly, so I have to re-apply more often than I'd like, but overall I still really like this product and would buy it again! I'm curious to try other colors.....

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 3/20/2013 1:39:00 PM More reviews by glowing500

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I am loving this very pretty lippie right now!

Violet Shine is a strange name for a lippie of this color. You cannot use the label on the tube to judge the color as the label is a deep, dark plumy color which makes you think the color of the lippie is going to be dark and plumy...not true!

This lippie is a pretty, sheer, light rosy pink color. It's shiny with some sheen, not sparkle. I'm very fair, cool, MAC NW 15-20 and this color goes especially well with my coloring. The only problem with it (and with ALL NYC lippies) is that is tends to be somewhat drying. Applying a lip balm is necessary and takes care of the drying quality of this lippie.

This was 99 cents at CVS and this was the only color left. It was covered in some horrid tape that I had to use a box cutter to cut through. I'm not sure if the store put that tape on it or the manufacturer did but please NYC, find another way to seal your products. I was ready to toss this into the trash before I was finally able to get it open.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/6/2012 9:58:00 PM More reviews by wellDUHitsSarah

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Its a nice pink color for a cute every day look without just being a plain nude color. It's not super pigmented but I didn't really expect it to be. Fantastic for the price :D

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/14/2012 7:14:00 PM More reviews by jellybabe23

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this product after trying two other lipsticks from N.Y.C. that I actually really enjoyed. Violet Shine has some shimmer in it, but not the overly silvery type of shimmer in most inexpensive lipsticks; it actually provides a nice sheen to the lips which I enjoy. The pigmentation is not that great, but for everyday, I prefer that instead. It is a shear lipstick that provides some moisturization, but I do find myself reapplying frequently. My lips do, however, dry, once the formula itself has dried up, so it doesn't provide long lasting moisture as do other lipsticks. The smell is your typical inexpensive "plastic-smelling" (if that makes sense) scent which doesn't bother me. Overall, for $.99, the color is great, violet-pink with a bit of a sheen, and it brightens up my NC40-42 skin up nicely.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/20/2012 5:15:00 PM More reviews by MissRaffix3

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

Great dusky pink color. Very nice to use for everyday. It is also pretty moisturizing. And at only $1, the price is fantastic as well.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/20/2012 2:32:00 PM More reviews by normajeane73

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This is a really pretty color. And it is moist, and does last. I also love how inexpensive it is. It is worth a try.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/16/2012 12:46:00 AM More reviews by nsr

I hate spending money on lipstick, its not worth it for something that has to be reapplied throughout the day....so when i found this I was very happy that it was a color Ioved for less than a dollar! I have tried many shades of pink in other brands and this was the right combination of pink/mauve....it says violet but it is a pink color with blue undertones...very flattering on my fair, cool toned skin.....I gave it a 4 because I noticed that the product breaks away from the tube if I roll it up too far...something I really can overlook for such an inexpensive product..

rated 5 of 5 on 7/22/2012 9:11:00 PM More reviews by samhoney

This is a beautiful, moisturizing lipstick that has some good staying power for the money. I am an NC20, so my skin is fair. Violet Shine is beautiful on me as I have dark brown hair and natural turquoise eyes. Violet Shine is a nice light to medium plum-berry color. Can't beat the price for something this nice.

I do not like that N.Y.C. has the lipstick so close to the top of the transparent tube top. Also, after some use, the lipstick comes dislodged from the base of the tube, which has fallen out before (not this tube but a previous N.Y.C. lipstick) on my clothes, my carpet, my CAR upholstery and also has come loose in my purse. You can imagine the mess and how pissed off I got. But this color and value is too good to be bitter over!!!

rated 3 of 5 on 6/19/2012 3:47:00 AM More reviews by VanessaluvsU

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Brown

i think this lipstick is good for the price it was only .93 at h.e.b and its kind of sheer, not that pigmented but good if you want just a wash of color and they kind of smell funny. If you get it in your mouth it tastes gross but i love the color so i deal with it.