November 22, 2014 | 1607 users online

Top/Base Coats - Sally Hansen - Double Duty Base & Top Coat

rated 1 of 5 on 11/22/2014 5:46:00 AM More reviews by MlleSilvia

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

One of the worst topcoat i have ever tried! After 2 hours it still soft and not completly dry! I payed it 8€.. But this isn't an excuse for its terrible work! Bad bad

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 11/21/2014 3:38:00 AM More reviews by angekronaus

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

Overall I really like this product as an alternative to the OPI Base/Top coat which Ive been using for years.

I like the shape of the bottle - its much easier to handle than a big round bottle. Also, I like how long & slender the brush is. It goes into the bottle without dripping down the sides & because its so long, the brush loads plenty of product so you dont have to keep dunking.

As a base coat it works very well & dries fast. Whether using dark reds or pale colours, it protects the nail from colour transfer which is what its meant to do.
As a top coat - I find it takes a little longer to dry than the OPI however its super shiny and keeps your nails protected & chip free for days.

Highly recommend.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/4/2014 9:08:00 PM More reviews by Inuki

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have used this as a base coat and top coat with a variety of nail polishes from OPI, SinfulColors and WnW Meglast polishes.

This base coat did a decent job in protecting my nails from staining. My nails also felt stronger after several weeks of using this (through 4-5 diff manis). As a top coat, this product isn't great. While it gave my manis a glossy finish, I noticed that my the color polish took longer to dry and was not much more chip-resistant compared to not using a topcoat.

The consistency if this base coat started getting thickening after 5 weeks of opening the bottle. I used a drop of OPI nail lacquer which seems to have brought it back to life... For now.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/28/2014 6:07:00 PM More reviews by katrinaviolet

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Hazel

I love this as a base and top coat. I've tried many top coats, including Seche Vite, and my nails always chip within a day. I've now had 4 days without chips with this product and still going strong. It doesn't look as smooth and shiny as a top coat like Seche Vite, but the long wear is far more worth it to me.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/27/2014 10:44:00 PM More reviews by agnesbones

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Other Eyes: Black

Product does not work as it promises to. As a base coat, it comes off way too easily even with or without nail polish. As a top coat it dries way too slow & does not give the subtle shine as other sally hansen products. A waste of money.

rated 3 of 5 on 7/17/2014 11:00:00 AM More reviews by Sooee

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

I bought this because it works as both a base and top coat. As many others have mentioned, it dries VERY slowly. This is a superb base coat and a good top coat. It does prevent my nail polish from chipping as fast, but it's a pain as to how slow it dries as a top coat, which makes it easy to ruin your manicure. Next time, I'm going to try Sally Hansen's Diamond top/base coat because I hear that it dries a lot quicker. The price was great though, and I would say this is decent but would warn friends against the headache they are in store ahead. I would not buy this product again because I already have another product in mind for the future.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/2/2014 5:48:00 AM More reviews by ap2697

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Useless top coat that dries in wrinkles over polish. My first application from a new bottle of this was as a top coat to an Essie nail polish that I had applied several hours prior and which was fully dry. After applying this product, the nail polish became like PUTTY on my nail. I could literally push it around on my nail. Three hours later it was still getting scratches in it whenever I brushed past something. This product ruined a manicure that I had put a lot of time into. Perhaps it works better if you apply it to a nail polish that hasn't fully dried, but as far as I am concerned that is far too fussy.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/2/2014 1:11:00 AM More reviews by paperdoll66

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is one of my go-to base coats. I have very weak nails, and I can see a definite difference from using this product. Like any base coat, it doesn't work perfectly with every brand of polish, but I always get at least five days of wear. Many polishes can last weeks.

When it does chip, it frequently happens so that the polish on the entire nail will come off all at once, usually when my nails are submerged in water. This doesn't bother me, personally. I find it more convenient to repaint an entire nail rather than try to repair a chip. Usually, it happens when I am already considering removing the polish anyway.

I do not use it as a top coat. It dries really slowly. Before I started using it only as a base coat, I ruined a lot of manicures thinking it was dry. It's decently shiny when new, but it gets less and less shiny as the product is used up. It also takes longer to completely dry. I generally do not use up an entire bottle before moving on to a new one.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/25/2014 11:15:00 PM More reviews by Olivia891

I've gotten this a few times..it works fine but fine isn't good enough when you devote time and work hard on your mani. I've used it only a few times as a top coat and remember it not being very shiny, so I mostly use it as a base and while prevent chipping fairly well after about 4 days it starts to shrink at the base of your nails and the edges slightly lift up. This is annoying especially when hair gets caught underneath and it just weird looking overall. In addition once it's started chipping away you can usually peel it off in one go..I guess that could be good or bad depending on whether you've got nail polish remover around or not.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/17/2014 7:07:00 AM More reviews by Nagaika

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Green

I've probably bought it 10 or 20 times already and I will always buy it. This is a dream come true. Since I've tried it, my nails went to a totally new level of perfection))

It dries quickly when the bottle is relatively new, it distributes evenly, it is so super shiny, plays on the sun perfectly, stays for long time. I can use it as a transparent cover to reinforce my nails, I can use it to give it some glow. I always use it before the polish to even the surface of the nail, I also always use it after polish to make it stay longer. If you refresh it from time to time it can literary stay on the nails for 1-2 weeks easily.

Another thing I do. If I made my nails just before I went to bed and they look awful in the morning, as they have these wrinkles and stuff, I just put one layer of Double Duty on top of it and it looks great, it sort of keeps the color, but corrects the texture.

100% of my friends can't imagine their life without it after they tried it following my recommendation or on their own.

This is by all means THE BEST product for nails (maybe the very best girly product ever) I've ever tried in my life.