Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

on 9/9/2015 7:32:00 AM

Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine

I tried this only for a week and a half and should've read reviews here before I even tried that long and wasted money on organic oils. My skin HATED, HATED, HATED oil cleansing. I tried safflower oil first since it's high in linoleic acid and supposedly in those with acne-prone skin, their own body is low in linoleic acid and so the oil gets harder and causes clogged pores (that explanation isn't very helpful, I know - search the web for "linoleic acid acne" and you'll find more info). I have acne-prone skin only on my chin and nose, so I moisturized my dry areas with rose hip oil after cleansing. I was left with flaky dry skin at the surface, but with blocked pores, blackheads, and breakouts all over my oily areas AND zits on my cheeks. I thought maybe safflower oil was too drying and switched to grapeseed oil which is more balanced and it got even worse.

I know you're supposed to give your skin time to adjust, but I agree with another reviewer who said that even though oil cleansing is supposed to work because of "like equals like", I didn't feel like it was doing anything to help unclog my pores. I switched back to soap night before last and used benzoyl peroxide for two days and the breakouts are already better. I just don't have the patience to try this any longer.

This may work for some, but it didn't for me, and I wanted to post a review here since it seems like most of the information I could find insisted oil cleansing should work for everyone, if you used the right oil.

on 8/22/2015 5:27:00 PM

This is the worst thing I have ever done to my skin and I really regret trying it! I have normal/combination skin which has always been clear as in I have never had proper acne, only the occasional blocked pore and tiny blackheads on my nose. Anyway after microdermabrasion and a strong glycolic peel I felt like my skin was a bit dry and probably over exfoliated I thought I would give the OCM a go. It didn't help at all and after a week I was covered in blocked pores and blackheads all over my face especially forehead and cheeks. I have tried everything to clear it up and have spent an obscene amount of money! Even my usual Aha's and bha's didn't work. My skin has never been sensitive but it seemed that no matter what I used my skin didn't like it. I was so depressed and thought it would be like that forever. Anyhow 2 days ago I started using benzoyl peroxide 5% alcohol free and I have used the clarisonic clay mask once and my skin is practically clear! 2 days! I wish I had tried BP before but I thought it was only good on inflamed acne which mine never turned in to luckily. I would never ever ever recommend this and I didn't even have acne so I can't imagine the damage it could do to someone that has. I will never use any oil on my face again!

on 8/19/2015 4:48:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

A "friend" of a cool blogger and hairstylist living in Paris swore that jojoba oil works wonders on removing blackheads and making your skin trouble free. She went into detail describing the wonders of this oil. It was totally out of my character to by into silly blog comments like these. I became obsessed: I needed JOJOBA and jojoba needed ME.

I was an excellent convert. I cleansed. I moisturized. All with 100% pure jojoba.

The change appeared slowly for me. After 6 months on "the method" my pale, always so dry cheeks were infested with ACNE! YES, ACNE! :´-( The surface spongy, full of blackheads, pored, oily, irritated. My always oily t-zone worse than normal with more (!!) blackheads.

Since I refused to use Roaccutane I was recommended Differin gel acne treatment and was told to endure at least 4 months before seeing results. This horrible gel made my skin even worse, cystic, more scars and inflammation everywhere. I stopped and started my own regimen. In the beginning the only thing clearing my skin was washing with PH sensitive Dove Sensitive Skin Unscented Beauty Bar.

It took me 1 year (!!!) to get my skin in some sort of balance. Nothing is ever the same again. I suffer awful red acne scarring on my cheeks (3 years later). For example, any product with the tiniest amount of oils wields me right back to crazy breakouts. I have a difficult time choosing serums and moisturizers. I don't care for foundations. I only use concealer to lessen the redness of the scars.

I learned my lesson. I love my old blackheads : ) I don't need no oil to make them go away.

Just smile and shine...and STAY AWAY FROM JOJOBA OIL!!!

on 8/4/2015 10:53:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I have normal to dry skin, no acne, no blackheads, my skin isn't particularly sensitive. It's just getting old :/
I've been oil cleansing for quite some time now.
After using Castile soap forever, I simply appreciate how gentle and moisturizing OCM is. I've used coconut oil mostly, but grape seed, roséhip seed and olive oils have all worked fine for me as well.
I'm using Rx tretinoin and cleansing with oils really helps mitigate dryness and irritation that's typical for me when I use a traditional cleanser. I also use oil infused with targeted EOs to moisturize my face/provide anti aging.
I've found that using a cloth and hot water to remove the oil is optional, at least in my case. If I happen to be in the shower I just let the water run down my face while gently massaging.
For me it's been great. My skin is plumper, more hydrated and texture is much smoother versus when I use soap or even the gentlest cleansers, (I've tried a good few and keep Neutragena Gentle on hand for my husband). I buy one gigantic bottle of coconut oil, and use it to cleanse, moisturize, make concoctions, etc. I save so much money on lotions, cleansers, serums...

on 8/4/2015 7:17:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

Like dissolves like in theory. Not in practice when talking about plant oils and human skin lipids. OCM is best for dry skinned folk and those with clog prone, acne prone skin should stay away from this method of cleansing. It often is a messy failure for many and here is why: skin produces oil in response to androgen hormones your body produces. Oil cleansing and wiping the mixture away with water and a washcloth can remove substances from the surface of skin, but this alone isn’t affecting what is happening below the surface, inside the pore, or in your body, where these hormones that control how much oil your skin produces are generated.
Not to mention the hot water combined with a washcloth is highly irritating to the skin. Inflammation=acne, that's a fact.
If you are doing the OCM and you're purging let me tell you something you're not purging. You're ruining your skin. Skin does not purge *unless* you're using an active such as AHAs BHAs and RA which speeds cell turnover, thus bringing material to the surface. It's as simple as that.
if your skin is a dryish/oily broken out mess from Oil Cleansing...STOP.

on 7/26/2015 12:34:00 PM

Skin: Very Oily, Medium, Neutral

No matter what oils I used my skin did not like this method.
I really wanted this to improve my complexion and wanted to use something healthier for my skin. Unfortunately after trying many different mixes my skin reacted terribly.
My skin looked dull and broke out more frequently and my oil increased instead of getting better with use.
I also found it too messy and time consuming mixing, storing and applying, unless you use one oil. Most of the scents of the oils kinda made my stomach turn over time.
In the end I would not try this again and prefer cold creams to this.
Surprisingly the cold creams have been what's really improved my skin and are very cost effective.

on 7/26/2015 8:03:00 AM

Hair: Blond, Curly, Medium

This has replaced my usual Clarins cleansers (which I loved). I use fresh olive oil alone to cleanse my face, and it works better than anything I've ever tried. It removes sunscreen and a full face of makeup, including mascara and eyeliner with virtually no effort. I simply pour a little olive oil into my hand, massage it into my face (including around my eyes and eyelashes), then use a warm washcloth to remove it. Afterwards, I'm left with smooth, clean skin... and no it doesn't leave a noticeable residue this way. Sometimes I also like to do a second cleanse, and massage the oil into my problematic areas. This uncloggs my pores and works well to minimise blackheads. I know that this method won't work for everyone, and I was terrified that it would break me out. But I've never been happier. For reference, my skin is combination (oily t-zone, dry cheeks) but it has become much more balanced since. I also occasionally use a tiny amount of this on my skin (face and body) if it's especially dry. Jojoba and rosehip oil are also great on my skin.

on 6/23/2015 8:26:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral

My skin has always been problematic. Very sensitive, extremely dry, patchy and flaky and since I stopped taking the contraception pill I get hormonal breakouts in my hair- and jawline. I've tried so many things, I gave up the idea of ever having beautiful skin. I thought I'd try to go more natural and start using natural oils.

I've read about the method, comedogenic ratings etc and started trying different oils. Trial after trial, error after error. I've tried mixes of (all cold pressed, organic) coconut oil (the worst!!!), olive oil, castor oil (extremely drying), sunflower oil (drying), almond oil, argan oil, rosehip oil, nigella oil, jojoba oil, sheabutter, cocoabutter, euhm, I might forget one or two, but you get the point. Some were really really bad for my skin, others were ok (sheabutter) but didn't really do anything good for my skin either. My skin has never been as bad as the months I was trying oil cleansing. Dry, red, patchy, flaky and painful, with more zits, black- and whiteheads than I've seen on my face ever before.

So after error #376 I just had enough and went back to my pharmacy brands (eucerin 5% urea and vichy nutrilogie2). My skin calmed down within days, but something weird happened, which is actually my reason for writing this review. My skin has always been extremely dry, my entire life. But now its oily. The supermoisturizing creams I used are way to rich now. My face is shiny and more prone to acne. Right now I'm using Vichy normaderm 3 in 1 cleanser in the morning 3 times a week, after which I only use a very small amount of a light hydrating cream by Avene on my cheeks and around my mouth. The other mornings I only wash my face with water and I don't need moisturizer after that, which is still so weird to me, my skin always felt so tight after showering I had to slather on moisturizer even before putting on panties. In the evening I cleanse my skin with Vichy purete thermale 3 in 1 calming cleansing micellar sollution and I don't need moisturizer after that, During the day my t-zone gets shiny, even without moisturizer. My skin is clearing now, finally, but it took me a while to find a new routine to match the massive changes in my skin.

I'm not sure if it is caused by all that oil cleansing trial and error for months, but fact of the matter is my skin is the opposite of what it was before. I think I actually prefer oily skin over dry, so if the ocm caused that, I guess that's a good thing (which is why 2 lippies). Other than that, my experiences with the oil cleansing method were very bad and I really did give it a fair chance. I now use all these oils to make my own bodylotions and my arms and legs are softer and smoother than ever!

on 5/20/2015 11:40:00 AM

I have super sensitive combination acne prone skin that always has dry flaky patches matter what especially on and around the nose. Everytime I use an oil cleanser it either is too thick doesn't spread around tugging the skin or rinse off well thus leaving a residue. The super runny ones are messy to rinse of without the product runny down my arms. The oils due deep cleans the pores remove dirt oil and makeup from the pores. I like to use the slightly thinner consistency ones since its easier to spreed around and rinse off without leaving much of a residue. The problem is no matter what brand or type of oil from famous to all natural, pure oils, ones without mineral oils even just jojoba oil ect.... my skin always becomes unbalanced dry underneath and super oily on the surface. Then couple days of use my skin goes haywire with all sorts of breakout from mild tiny under the skin bumps, whiteheads, non inflamed/inflamed acne then as I continue ocm it gets worse and worse even cystic breakouts. My skin gets worse then what it was before ocm. I always double cleans with a mild gentle cleanser to make sure the oil is fully removed but this makes my skin even more dry and oily. Once I stop ocm it takes about 2 months or even more depending on how bad the breakouts are for it to calm down and slowly go back to normal as possible.

on 4/21/2015 9:31:00 AM

I've been using OCM for over 3 years. i have acne-prone skin and i still have some breakouts as i used to (not because of ocm), but i like it very much because it's the only thing that doesn't dry my skin. i like washing my face to clean it (don't like lotions) and every product i tried so far dries me and then the moisturizers are not good enough for me. with ocm i have a clean face, fully hydrated and my skin feels pretty soft. i'm changing my oils every now and then, but i'm mostly using jojoba or grapeseed with a few drops of tea tree and lavender eo.
way of use: I wet my face a bit, rub some oil all over my face and neck. wash again and wipe with some cotton. repeat. you can see on cotton if you are completely clear.
I add a few drops from my oil again if i want extra moisture and leave it on. On the other hand, if i want to remove the oil completely i use some cotton with rosewater to wipe it out.

Top Rated No Brand (DIY or homemade) Products