September 2, 2014 | 1380 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

• Price: $

rated 5 of 5 on 8/30/2014 9:23:00 PM More reviews by blackmamba6

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

I am really, really, really impressed with the Oil Cleansing Method.

After reading so much about it, I wanted to simplify the process, so I use only a dab of pure Shea Butter. It's non-comedogenic, and entirely natural - absolute requirements for my oily, blackhead-prone skin. I think it might also be the main reason for my success with the method. The brand I use is NOW Solutions, and I bought it in a health food store for about $14.

I rub a teaspoon of it into my face for about 30 seconds, then I wipe it off with a hot washcloth. It has been absolutely wonderful. So simple, so natural. My clogged pores are vanishing before my eyes, and my skin has a clean, bright dewyness to it I haven't seen since before puberty. It's the only thing that's ever worked on my stubborn blackheads and sebacious filaments.

Highly recommended.

rated 5 of 5 on 8/27/2014 12:44:00 AM More reviews by BarefootedALIEN

I do not use castor oil. I use NOW Grapeseed oil. With dry fingers, I rub the oil all over my face at night. Rinse my fingers off, brush my teeth, probably go potty one last time, and then rinse the oil off gently with my wash cloth. Pat gently with a dry side of the same washcloth, and follow with ACV toner (1:3 acv to water), sometimes use aloe vera as a moisturizer or cream kefir. - I had relatively clear skin prior to this method. I must say this oil/acv/ aloe combo has helped heal my acne scars. Really of you are considering ocm specially for acne, please try acv toner first. My skin changed dramatically when using acv toner and cerave face wash and moisturizer. Now I'm almost following a chemical free regimen with clear skin!!! :D

rated 1 of 5 on 8/23/2014 1:18:00 PM More reviews by lauracph88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

OMG. Don't even know why I ever got on this horrid cleansing fad. One week of the OCM (followed the instructions to the letter) with 20% castor oil and 80% sweet almond oil, and my skin has never been worse! I have crazy, tiny bumps ALL over my face and cystic acne on my cheeks, where I never break out. I can't believe that my own review is like an exact copy of so many other reviews I read before starting the OCM. Guess I thought they were all doing it wrong, and as long as I followed the "rules" meticulously I'd be fine. Back on the acne.org regimen, and preying that my skin can be saved this way (btw I was completely clear before the OCM, but wanted to get my skin of BP, since my derm told me that my skin had become paper thin and sensitive due to the harsh BP regimen. Still. Rather thin and sensitive than crazy breakouts and low selfesteem. These past few days, my skin has been all I have been thinking about! Obsessively!).

I am sure the OCM works for some, but please know that you are taking a risk, that so many of us have failes. Just try googling "the OCM ruines my skin". I am not alone with abovementioned experience...

rated 5 of 5 on 8/22/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by giraffe4994

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

To give some background: I have struggled with level 3 acne since I was about 13 years old, I'm 19 now. I've been on everything, harsh topical treatments, birth control, even as extreme as Accutane. I am an esthetician, and having acne is embarrassing enough, but even more so when you want to help others with their skin. I am great at dealing with others, but for some reason i always had trouble getting my skin right.

After hearing about OCM a few years ago, it struck my interest and I kind of kept it in the back of my mind. I studied through college and now that I'm graduated and my acne is becoming more painful and deep, I decided to do some research. After reading a tonne of horror stories from people who are using castor oil as their astringent in their blend of oils, I'm not surprised at all. Castor oil is extremely drying and irritating and can actually end up causing a lot of long term and irreversible damage to your skin. I see a lot of people complain about having a lot more redness in their skin than they used to, castor oil is a heating oil and is actually quite toxic, and can cause irreversible damage to your capillaries and break them. Therefore I would NOT RECOMMEND CASTOR OIL AS YOUR ASTRINGENT OIL FOR OIL CLEANSING.

Instead of castor oil, I use a sweet almond oil as my astringent oil, and mix it with the same amount of jojoba oil. That's it. Sweet almond oil is great because it cleans very well, is great for acne (so is jojoba!) and it moisturizes while it cleanses. Sometimes I will mix a drop or 2 of tea tree in if I'm not wearing any makeup. I soak it off with a hot towel and all that, you know, and usually apply a serum, and sometimes just a drop or 2 more of jojoba oil just for fun, but not always.

I recommend anyone curious about oil cleansing try sweet almond oil first! I am positive they will have great results like I am having. My face has really really cleared up, it looks even and glowing and radiant, just like a 19 year old's skin should look :)

rated 4 of 5 on 7/13/2014 1:52:00 AM More reviews by UrbanFacedMacnamedNYX

Age: 30-35 Skin: Dry, Medium Brown, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Green

I have dry/oily sensitive acne prone skin and I have noticed a big difference. I use castor olive tea tree and vitamin e oils. I do the massage the sit time 2 min each. I then cleanse my face with African black soap and witch hazel as an astringent. I only do it at night 3 a week. I do an asprin mask one a week and once a week I also mix gelatin and milk. I also do steam and mud mask and exfoliation once a month. I use a clarisonic 4x a week. That's my routine it helped unclog my pores keep them clean got rid of acne I have softer even skin and my hyperpigmentation has lightened.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/25/2014 5:03:00 AM More reviews by teojia

I started reading natural beauty blogs, and felt resolved to educate myself on the chemicals around me and in the products I use. It was therefore natural that I switched to OCM. I bought a bunch of oils and essential oils, and my initial mix of grapeseed oil, castor oil and some EOs worked really well. I've been acne prone my whole life, but my skin prior to OCM was pretty good and I thought I had finally outgrown my acne phase. My skin never looked better during the initial OCM phase - it felt hydrated, and was soft to touch, which was a first for me. I made some for my friends and parents to try, and was eager to hear reviews from them.

When I ran out of grapeseed oil, I started using olive oil, or some other mixture which I've now forgotten. About one month into OCM, my skin started taking a turn for the worse. The subsequent weeks (or was it months? I really stuck it out) were the worst my skin has ever been, and that's saying a lot. I stuck it out, thinking my skin was 'purging'. (I've since debunked that belief and will not subscribe to that theory!)

So I tried it faithfully for about four months I think, before grudgingly returning to normal foam/bar cleansers. I suspect acne prone skin should not be massaged regularly, as the sebum glands are already active, so massaging the skin only activates them more. Maybe one day I'll try it again. For now, I'm staying far away from OCM.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/23/2014 2:16:00 AM More reviews by itiselizabeth

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Relaxed, Other Eyes: Green

I wanted this to work for me so badly. I even took the "purging" period into consideration and trudged on for two weeks. It. Was. Horrible. I have always had good skin and would regularly get complimented on how nice it was (before OCM). My only problem was blackheads on my nose. They weren't tremendous but I did want to completely get rid of them, as the OCM sounded promising. My face never broke out except for an occasional pimple I would get when it was that time of month. After using OCM..... to say the least, my face has never looked worse. It dried my face out. I had terrible dry flakes (probably my fault because I might've had a little too much castor oil). I had cystic acne, pimples, whiteheads, and MORE blackheads covering my face. The original blackheads I had grew larger. I had zits everywhere (forehead, nose, chin, cheeks, jaw line, and neck). I have NEVER had more than maybe two or three pimples at a time, which was rare for me. This was so bad, my parents basically told me to stop using it for fear of acne scarring and they even offered to buy Proactiv to help me. I stopped using it and have switched back to my old HG cleanser. This method works wonders for some but not for me at all. FOR REFERENCE, I used 25% castor oil to 75% sunflower oil and only cleansed at night.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/16/2014 1:14:00 AM More reviews by ilovezorro

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I tried jojoba oil and olive oil long ago, and got a face full of zits for my trouble. Recently I tried hemp seed oil on half of my face for about a month, which worked really well at first, but began breaking me out a few weeks in.

Six months later, and I can still play the "guess which side of my face was subjected to the OCM game?" with friends and family. Because the OCM side of my face is still covered in zits/awful hyper-pigmentation!

rated 2 of 5 on 5/28/2014 11:20:00 PM More reviews by skuper

Good for keeping skin moisturized horrible for acne prone skin

rated 2 of 5 on 5/26/2014 3:34:00 AM More reviews by DJCupcakes

A bit of background first: My skin has always been combination/oily, acne-prone, and prone to clogged pores. Back when I spent a lot of time on the Skincare Board, I tried oil cleansing, but not of the "oil cleansing method" variety: just straight-up massaging in the oil, wiping off, and then following with a cleanser. I tried this with both mineral oil (shudder) and coconut oil. Both had bad results, so I swore off oil cleansing altogether.

After years of reading about the WONDERS of the actual Oil Cleansing Method, I finally gave in and gave it a shot. At the time I used this, my skin was actually quite clear. I had some pesky clogged pores/blackheads that had been there for years and that I more or less considered permanent, but no active acne at all. I used a 50/50 mixture of castor oil (Home Health Cold Pressed & Cold Processed Castor Oil; I do not recommend the kind you find in the laxative aisle) and grapeseed oil (Trader Joe's Grapeseed Oil from the cooking aisle).

Here was my method: I would take a substantial amount of the oil mixture and apply it with clean, dry hands to my dry face. I would massage it around for a few minutes with my fingers. Then I would take a clean washcloth, soak it in hot water, wring it out, and place it on my face for several seconds until it cooled. I would repeat the cloth process 2-3 times. Then, finally, I would use the cloth to wipe off the oil, rinsing the cloth in hot running water in between wipes. When I had wiped it all off, I followed with my regular cleanser.

A few observations: Yes, I did notice it taking clogs out of my pores. I would actually feel and see the little granules coming out of my skin. Much like using a pore strip, it was both gross and fascinating. When I had washed my skin, I would instantly see "smaller"/clearer pores. It was incredible. My skin would be pink/red from the heat and rubbing, but it always went away by the next morning, so I was okay with that. My skin began to take on a lovely glow, and with every use, more and more clogs came out. Parts of my skin that had been bumpy and clogged for years were suddenly smooth to the touch. This stage lasted for about a month. I was thrilled.

Then came the repercussions. The redness in my skin started taking longer and longer to go away, and the healthy glow began to dull. I figured I was just being a little too rough and started rubbing a bit less, using cooler water, wiping more gently. My skin grew dehydrated and began to flake. I adjusted my oil mixture to no avail. Although I continued to remove clogs with each cleansing, I was also starting to get active, inflamed acne again. So while I had fewer blackheads/milia, I was getting more zits. It didn't make sense. I figured maybe I was experiencing the fabled "purging," so I pressed onward. It didn't get better, and my skin progressively became more dull, more irritable (even my "safe" products began to irritate it), and more dehydrated. More pimples arrived. My pores continued to become clearer, and yet the rest of my skin suffered so much that I actually didn't look better, but worse.

I began to reduce how many times per week I did this (I was doing it nightly). Cutting down to 3 times a week helped, but didn't solve the problems completely. Finally, I went through a very rough week personally, and out of time constraints/stress, skipped the OCM for the entire week. My besieged skin looked better. I then decided to cut it cold turkey for another week, and it kept looking better.

It's now been 3 weeks since I stopped, and my skin looks much better, but is still not as calm or clear as it was before I started this. Sadly, yes, many of my clogged pores have returned. For some reason, even though every other aspect of my skin suffered on this long-term, it really did keep my pores clear. However, if I only looked worse overall, what is the point? I'd rather take a few clogged pores than constant redness, dehydration/flakey skin, and a dull, zitty complexion.

I have no idea why I had so much success at first and then such failure later. Usually, if a skin care product/method is not going to work for me, it's apparent from the very beginning. Regardless, I have given up on the oil cleansing method. I am sad to see my clogged pores returning, but as my skin is still on the mend from everything else, it's simply not worth it.

Proceed with caution. Patch-test first, and do so for a GOOD LONG TIME before doing this all over your face.

7 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No