November 28, 2014 | 1460 users online

Cleansers - Oil Cleansing Method (OCM)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/1/2014 8:54:00 PM More reviews by kiraty

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Blue

I tried ocm when I was 21 and it was awful. My face dried out but was an oily uncomfortable mess. As I've gotten older (I'm 30) I've realized my acne has been food allergy related, with dairy being the absolute worst! Once my face started clearing up I realized my skin that while still oily is quite dehydrated. Last winter I started using oil as moisturizer and while better, it still felt tight and dry. I knew cleaners were stripping it too much so I decided to give oil cleansing another try at the end of this summer.

My skin now glows! I oil cleanse at night (I often wear makeup) and use oil to moisturize. In the morning I rinse and use witch hazel and regular moisturizer (this helps my makeup stay a little better). My pores have gotten smaller and don't seem as blocked. I worry much less about "will all this washing give me wrinkles?". My pms breakouts are hardly anything! I also used to get a huge change in texture in my skin right before my period, which isn't nearly as bad. I do still get a cyst here and there but always on my jaw or neck - directly dairy related.

I honestly feel comfortable without makeup for the first time ever! I was the girl who wore foundation if I had the flu, god forbid my parents had to see my face. I still have some uneven skin tone but that's nothing in comparison to 98% clear skin! My favorite oils are jojoba,grapeseed, and rosehip. I'm still experimenting with mixes but so far am very happy. It makes the nightly routine longer but is so worth it.

rated 3 of 5 on 10/29/2014 10:23:00 AM More reviews by Freesia95

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I have sensitive, combination skin, prone to clogged pores.
I heard that the OCM is good for people with clogged pores, as the oil actually dissolves the clogged oil in your pores. I was really scared to put oil on my face as it always gives me breakouts, but I wanted to give it a go.
I tried these oils for about a week each (comedogenic rating)
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (2)
Coconut Oil (4)
Grapeseed Oil (2)
Jojoba Oil (2)
Sunflower Oil (0)

How I used it: I massage about 1/4 teaspoon on my dry face in the evening for about 5 minutes. Then I put a hot cloth on my face for 30sec and wipe it all off. My face is perfectly clean, soft, moisturized and a bit red.
However, I stopped doing the OCM, because it gave me a bad allergic reaction with tearing eyes and a swollen face, which is really sad, because I really loved how it made my skin look so radiant and soft.
The coconut oil broke me out the worst and after hearing about oils and their comedogenic rating I realized why. The sunflower oil worked best for me, it was the least irritating oil I have ever used. And I just used plain sunflower cooking oil.

+ Makes skin super soft
+ Gives your face a radiant, healthy glow
+ Fades red marks, helps with active blemishes + blemish marks
+ Removes every little trace of makeup
+ Makes lashes stronger and healthier

- might cause an Allergic reaction (tearing, swollen eyes), (swollen,face and lips)
- might cause rash of clogged pores

I really love and believe in the idea of OCM, unfortunately every oil I have used so far caused an allergic reaction for me. So it's really important to find the right oil for your skin type, because what might work for somebody else does not have to work for you as well. I continue to look for my perfect oil!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/28/2014 9:00:00 AM More reviews by bleuday

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I don't know why it took me so long to try this, probably because of the "oh, it's going to stick on my fingers" reservation.

I've spend hundreds -- if not thousands -- of dollars on cleansers. I am a total product junkie. I've been weening myself off of the chemicals, little by little. I'm a health nut, and it makes no sense to invest so much of my energies on being healthy, while slathering carcinogens on my skin because I am vain.

A friend of mine has gorgeous skin, and I commented on it.

She told me when she became pregnant, she started oil cleansing, using olive oil and castor oil.

I googled, bought some organic castor oil, I always have organic EVOO on hand, and have been using it for a week.

I simply cannot believe how soft and gorgeous my skin is. I feel these very small plugs come out every so often while I massage, and just keep going, I don't even spend tons of time with the "wet washcloth" after the fact.

I have been using L'Occitane's cleanser in the blue pump bottle to get rid of "too much," but my skin is absolutely amazing, and I have great skin already.

I wipe my fingers over my chin and cheeks, and there is nothing but smoothness and suppleness, no exfoliation involved.

Whole new game. I am well over the 40 mark, have combo skin getting dryer and dryer on my cheeks by the year, still oily in the T-zone, though my zone is reversed: chin and nose area can get congested.

I've been using a mix of approximately 70 percent EVOO & 30 percent castor oil.

I cannot imagine not doing this at least several times a week for the rest of my life.

It's not the price, which is ridiculously inexpensive, given what I have spent on skincare during my life (had Accutane treatments in my early 30's even), it's the results.

Absolutely clarity and easy cleansing.

Mind blowing.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/25/2014 9:52:00 PM More reviews by ArchAngel3

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I usually have pretty skin by my self, completely perfect with no lines, milia or pimples, only some very unnoticeable blackheads here and there. However, my skin is very dry, and without a good moisturizer it feels kinda stiff and stretched.

Then I started on a Prednisone treatment, which completely ruined my skin. I got huge blood filled cysts, flakes of skin fell of my face, my skin looked dull and dusty. Black heads popped up everywhere and if i tried to touch them, the skin around broke like cracking glass. I bleed a lot!

I wanted to try Korean skincare since it is cheaper and more advanced than modern western skincare. I read about the Holika Holika Soda oil cleanse and stumbled over a blog review that highly recommended it. I ordered, but since I had some jojoba oil in my bath room drawer, I decided to start it at once.

Needless to say, the jojoba oil massage really softened my face and gave me a beautiful glow. The first night i though I saw improvements, but the second night I used MD formulations face and Body Scrub first, and massaged it into my skin for about 40 minutes and felt that I got a completely new face. It is soft to touch. I have arthritis, so massaging longer than that is not possible for me. There are hardly any blackheads left, the scars I got from the cysts don't seem so irritated and there have been no new cysts. I got some small "normal" pimples that I just can pop without bleeding or scarring, but I don't know if they were caused by the oil or just popped up coincidentally.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/20/2014 2:40:00 PM More reviews by FicusLyrata

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Tan, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I wanted to try OCM to revive a dull complexion, to even out the texture of my rather normal skin, and to prevent future breakouts. I used jojoba oil, since it is one of the closest substances to our own sebum, and one of the least likely oils to clog our skin. (I've used it often before as a moisturizer, and know I don't have problems with it.) I followed instructions. I felt numerous blackheads dislodge into the oil and believed that the OCM was really effective at unclogging pores. So I kept using OCM, for approximately 5-10 minutes a day.

However, after trying OCM for 1.5 weeks, my face erupted with clusters of deep liqueous pimples, especially on my cheeks and chin, where I never break out. I had 20-30 serious pimples at a time, substantially red around the outside of each pimple, with whiteheads in the middle. Although I have been getting rid of them through vitamin supplementation and a variety of topical treatments, there are still more pimples coming to the surface, weeks after ceasing OCM. Once the pimple is no longer a bump, due to treatment, left behind is a hyperpigmentation (red) mark that might take months to fade, that requires additional attention.

It appeared that OCM indeed stimulates the oil production for some people, rather than "draws" out the oils as a skin "cleansing" method. For me, OCM was a skin "destroying" method. I never had acne this horrible, even as a teenager. I wouldn't recommend this method.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/9/2014 11:26:00 AM More reviews by PMD64

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I finally found the method for me, after years of trying the OCM on and off with poor results. I'm using only caster oil and extra virgin olive oil, in a 25/75 combination appx. I'm no longer measuring it, as I'm making it up in the palm of my hand daily and "eyeballing" it. I'm using my fingers to massage it into my skin for a good minute, and then jumping into the shower. I wash my hair and body without touching my face, letting the steam help the oils penetrate my open pores. At the very end I use a wash cloth to wipe the oil off and THEN use CeraVe cleanser, which I find to be mild and works well for me. Paula Begoun gives it a "Best" rating.

In regards to the wash cloth. I use a clean cloth daily, and I always rinse it well first in case there's any laundry detergent reside that didn't get completely rinsed off. My grandmother taught me to do this 40 years ago.

It's been six weeks now and I'm extremely happy with this method. I feel I'm getting the benefits of the oils even though I'm washing them off. I use Retin A and my skin, while oily, still dries out and flakes without moisture. I don't like using a moisturizer over or under the RA, so the oils are working to moisturizer my face quite well. No breakouts since I'm washing it off.

No improvement on my nose blackheads though, but I use salicylic peels which work for those but they come back so it's an ongoing process.

rated 1 of 5 on 10/6/2014 3:12:00 AM More reviews by Funsizedeb

Age: 19-24 Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

I cannot express enough how TERRIBLE this was for my skin!!!!! I only tried it for less than 2 weeks before I noticed horrible breakouts starting and it was extremely red, irritated acne forming. The acne didn't stop when I stopped using the oil, however. It kept getting worse and worse and when I used a clay mask to help, I could see the amount of oil being pulled from my skin that I've never seen before prior to using OCM. My skin is only now looking clearer again, 3 months after I stopped using OCM. Honestly, I wouldn't even give this a try. It's not worth the disaster that can happen. There are plenty of cleansers that are mild and low on chemicals that will work much better than this!!!

rated 1 of 5 on 10/4/2014 2:13:00 PM More reviews by BananaPancakes12

I having been practicing the OCM for 8 months now. At first I did break out but at the same time I saw improvements in my skin. I know that it was probably in the "purging" stage and that's why I broke out a little more than usual. I started with a bland of 1/3 castor oil, 1/3 grape seed oil, and 1/3 jojoba oil (all organic). I was using this for quite a while and my face did stop breaking out a lot but I reached a plateau and I was still not satisfied with how my face was looking. Plus, for the most part I was confused if I should be putting on moisturizer afterwards or not. For the most part I used a little bit of either grape seed oil or jojoba oil on my face after. I eventually switched the castor oil to sweet almond oil because I have rosacea and I thought it would help to be gentler. Well, this was a mistake. I started breaking out even more. So I went back to castor oil. I then stopped it all together because I started to notice that my face was becoming covered with little flesh coloured bumps that made me look like my pores were clogged. For about two weeks I stopped using it but there was no difference in my face. When I started doing it again, I added 1-2 drops of tea tree oil and switched the grape seed oil in for avocado oil. I have been using this for the last 6 weeks and honestly my face keeps breaking out and those little bumps are not going away.

The only reason that I keep doing this is because I love that it is all natural and I fully believe that it will help and it was helping. But, I've been reading some horror stories of people experiencing the same thing so I think I'm going to stop using the OCM all together. It's too bad because I really liked how my face was looking more radiant and even skin toned despite having minor acne on my cheeks and completely clearing my forehead. However, I would just like to warn anyone with sensitive skin that you might experience this as well.

I don't know what I am going to do now to wash my face and clear up not only the acne that persists but those little flesh coloured bumps that remain all over my skin. So please, if you have been considering using the OCM, read this and just be cautious - if you notice this starts happening do not continue using it!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/29/2014 10:32:00 AM More reviews by Ladyhecate1992

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

The best thing I've ever done for my skin.
I think the trick to getting this right if you're having trouble is to play around with different types of oils, some people need a drier oil, some a moist one. I have sensitive dry skin, and when I first started doing this I used extra virgin avocado oil, my skin immediately felt and looked plump, fresh and even, then I ran out of avocado oil one day and decided to give olive oil a go, it works even better than avocado oil on my dry skin, it makes it so soft and supple, I tried coconut oil and it actually dries out my skin. My point is If you're having trouble with this I think you should try another oil, and I cannot stress enough how important it is to STEAM STEAM STEAM with a fresh face cloth, you do not want to be using one you've previously used.

rated 1 of 5 on 9/7/2014 2:12:00 PM More reviews by LaurynCeleste

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Oily, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

The oil cleansing method is not for everyone. I repeat, it is not for everyone. I tried it and it did nothing for me. I still suggest that other people try it for themselves but I prefer e honey cleansing method. Although I don't use coconut oil on my face, and other oils, I do use them in my hair which is great. :-). I wish all the best of luck.