July 23, 2014 | 1303 users online

Skincare - Face - High Linoleic Safflower Oil

• Price: $

rated 4 of 5 on 5/7/2014 6:35:00 PM More reviews by LeeshyGirl

I just want to add a really important point about safflower oil. Most safflower oil you buy at the grocery store is genetically modified now, which makes it high in oleic acid, which you do not want if you have acne. This could be why several of you are breaking out with it. So make sure that the oil you buy is organic. It's always important, when using for hair or skin, to get oils that are unrefined and cold-pressed. For safflower (and some others like sunflower, soybean, etc) it is extremely important that it also be organic to ensure it is not genetically modified so it doesn't mess up your skin!

rated 3 of 5 on 5/24/2013 6:05:00 AM More reviews by Bippityboppityboo

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

Meh. I tried the hain brand and put it on dry hair, wet hair, for a few minutes, all night etc, in no way did I notice any benefits. I tried it on my natural fine dirty blonde hair and now my bleached damaged hair too. Tried it before shampoo and after as a leave in for dry ends. as a leave in was the best option but in order for hair to not look oiled down i used 1-2 drops. and it was nothing special looking or feeling either. the bottle is such a hassle. i have transferred some into smaller bottle but still it just seems like it leaks or its messy. mine has no smell i can detect. My hair apparently doesn't like oils I guess. The coconut oil doesn't do anything for me either. As for my skin, I am too scared to try it because I have oily soon and barely need a moisturizer, but maybe ill try it as makeup remover. Since i have a huge bottle of it and I don't know what to do with it.

rated 1 of 5 on 2/28/2013 3:18:00 AM More reviews by cadbury

I looked into what oils might work for my skin type to use for oil cleansing, and safflower and hemp were recommended for clog prone, sensitive skin with rosacea due to their high linoleic content.
I used it for 3 nights, followed by by regular cleanser to remove the residue. Each morning I woke up to hard lumps that felt like cysts, but were whiteheads on top. Because they multiplied each day, I stopped using it. As soon as I stopped, I got no more lumps, and within 2 days my skin calmed down to normal.
I also used this once on my hair before shampooing out, and was left with the same type of pimple on my scalp.

I used it on my body for 3 days, on damp skin as moisturiser, and had no adverse reactions. It absorbed well and left no real smell.

Sadly this didn't work for me, but I have found very few things do. I'm glad I tried it since it got so many raves, if only to rule it out.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 4/1/2012 2:57:00 PM More reviews by cerulfox

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Warm Hair: Black, Curly, Medium Eyes: Black

All oils are YMMV, and unfortunately safflower didn't work out for me either. Every time I tested it I broke out in small little whiteheads. Too bad, since it was quite effective at dislodging blackheads with OCM. I'll stick with rice bran and jojoba.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/20/2012 4:14:00 PM More reviews by eiyela

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I'll hold off on the facial review for now and update later, but so far my skin seems to like it. It soaks in quite quickly!

I just came to rave about my... feet! Omfg, they feel so good. Not in that slightly raw, rosy, I've-just-exfoliated way, but just smooth, supple, elastic skin. I got some leftover oil taking my makeup off, so I just slapped it on and a pair of socks over. No foot bath, no exfoliation, no nothing. I'm absolutely blown away. Might be a tip for those of you who can't tolerate it on your face. :)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Update: I've been using the safflower oil for a few weeks now to take off my makeup and moisturize. I'm probably invoking the big pimple curse saying it, but my skin feels really nice! It does nothing for my scars, I still have marks, but it seems to lessen new breakouts. I've never been able to do the whole traditional OCM with olive oil and whatever, but since this stuff is so much lighter I can even deep cleanse without any adverse effects.

Definitely read this article: http://www.makeupalley.com/user/notepad/d_E_S_S

I keep my oil in an old foundation pump bottle (thoroughly cleaned and sterilized!) and the rest stays in the back of the fridge.

I don't like it as a hair oil, unfortunately. It goes on nice at first, but since I don't wash my hair length every day it just smells sort of... Rancid, after a while.

3 out of 4 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 2 of 5 on 9/28/2011 2:07:00 PM More reviews by Juno77

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

My skin doesnt agree with safflower oil. It breaks me out whichever way I use it. If i tissue it off, if I steam it off with a washcloth, if I use it as a pre-cleanse and remove it with cleanser afterwards (I think this one's the worst method). Wanted to like it, but waste of money.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 8/28/2010 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Missy

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I found the Hollywood brand of this at my local grocery store and just had to give it a try. For a few days, I used it as a makeup remover by massaging it all over my dry face, adding a bit of water to emulsify, tissuing off and then washing with a gentle soap (I use Dove unscented). I don't find that it really removes makeup all that well. It sort of just smears my eye makeup until I wash it off with my regular soap, so this feels like an unnecessary step to me. It did FEEL nice, so I suppose the relaxation of using it is worth it. The best part about using this was that it seemed to regulate my oil production. I found that when I oil-cleansed the night before, my skin stayed matte the next day. After using it a few days, my skin was kind of parched, so I decided to use it as a moisturizer. After I did my normal cleansing with it, I tissued it off but left the residue. Sadly, it broke me out this way. =(
Also, this stuff works great on my hair! I have that hair type that gets oily at the roots, but feels like straw at the ends. This makes my hair look silky and healthy! I really love it for this reason and will probably still use it as a pre-cleanse every once in a while.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/25/2010 6:30:00 PM More reviews by envirogeeky

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I adore this oil for my wavy 2/a/b hair. I use 4 drops daily to oil my hair lengths. It is every bit as good as japanese camelia oil if not a bit better. It moisturizes yet does not flatten my hair out. Sometimes I mix this with meadowfoam oil for daily oilings. This oil is good for adding to shampoo when you need more moisture...add about 1/2 to 1 tsp. of this oil to 1/4 cup gentle shampoo and 1/4 cup filtered water. I also like to do hot oil treatments with this oil by mixing half argan oil with half safflower oil and 4 drops of rosemary essential oil. I will put this mixture on for several hours before shampooing and always get great results!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 4/7/2010 2:09:00 AM More reviews by UgandanAmericanBeauty

Age: 44-55 Skin: Other, Dark, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I use safflower oil for hair, skin and nails...

I have natural hair (Afro-textured hair), not permed, dyed or chemically altered in any way and my hair drinks up the Safflower oil...a little goes a long way so don't over do it. Afterwards, my hair is soft and thick...and whatever hair style I choose to do...whether it is twists-outs, braids, bun or even or a 'fro...always look so healthy and shiny !

For skin, I mix the Safflower oil with Jamaican unrefined Castor oil or some unrefined Castor oil I brought from home (Uganda) with a little peppermint oil for scent. After a bath or shower, this oil is just divine...

For nails, I use it as a cuticle oil and also rub it directly on my nails. I used to have peeling on my nails and Safflower oil took care of it...

I like this oil because it has many uses and you can mix it with other oils as a base for hair oils or lotiions. Try it...you won't be sorry.

8 out of 8 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 1/14/2010 12:43:00 AM More reviews by thebonita

When you're very acne/clog and dermatitis-prone, it's not easy to find an oil you can tolerate and use daily without problems. I've tried so many: olive, castor, camellia, evening primrose, rosehip, mineral. I do like some of the aforementioned, but much prefer safflower oil to them. I don't agree with other reviewers who mentioned it's akin to olive oil. I find olive oil to be much more viscous and hard to remove than safflower. Safflower is much lighter and much easier to remove. I must say, I've never really been a fan of oils in general. I also never found them to be particularly moisturizing either. I find they aid in moisturizing, but aren't effective on their own. Anyway, I've been successfully using safflower oil to cleanse for the last 2 months or so. I don't really adhere to the OCM method as I've never really noticed the "blackheads unplugging immediately" effect that some OCM users have. I just use it to deep clean and make sure I've got everything off at the end of the day, especially if I wore a waterproof or physical sunscreen that day.

So here's what I do: I apply the safflower oil onto a dry face and massage it in gently for a minute or so. I then take a regular 100% cotton cosmetic pad, wet it a little, then wipe off whatever can be wiped off. If my skin is irritated and/or feeling really dry that day, I'll leave the residue. I find that the residue left by safflower oil is quite comfortable. If I want *less* residue, I'll follow it up with a cleanser.

I've been using this every day now and it has not caused any breakouts for me. I definitely recommend this oil for acne-prones.

11 out of 11 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No