Almay Smart Shade Makeup SPF 15

3.0

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide (4%), Zinc Oxide (2.1%) Inactive Ingredients: Aqua/Water (water, eau), Cyclomethicone, Dimethicone, Butylene Glycol, Talc, PEG/PPG 18/18 Dimethicone, HDI/Trimethol Hexyllactone Crosspolymer, Cetyl PEG/PPG 10/1 Dimethicone, Nylon 12, Disteardimonium Hectorite, Alumina, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate (Vitamin E), Retinyl Acetate (Vitamin A), Aloe Vera (Aloe Barbadensis) Leaf Juice, Sodium Hyaluronate (Hyaluronic Acid), Trisiloxane, Glycerin, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Vitis Vinifera (Grape) Seed Extract (grape), Centaurea Cyanus (Cornflower) Extract, Camellia Sinensis (Green Tea) Leaf Extract, Ginseng (Panax Ginseng) Root Extract, Ginkgo Biloba Leaf Extract, Moringa Pterygosperma Seed Extract, Trimethylsiloxysilicate, Galactoarabinan, Acrylonitrile/Methacrylonitrile/Methyl Methacrylate Copolymer, Boron Nitrate, Alcohol Denatured, Methicone, Tribehenin, Sorbitan Sesquioleate, Silica, Ammonium Polyacrylatedimethyl Tauramide, Tetrasodium EDTA, PVP, Polysorbate 20, Polysorbate 80, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Ethylparaben, Propylparaben, May Contain ( /-): (CI77891), Iron Oxides (CI77491, CI77492, CI77499), Zinc Oxide (CI77947)

This is more like a non-greasy BB Cream, since it provides light coverage and has SPF. I usually just wear a powder over sunscreen, because I like to look natural, but this product allows me added SPF protection and a bit of extra coverage, while still allowing me to look like I'm not wearing makeup. I am around an NC25, and "Light/Medium" is a great color match. I like the squeeze tube which is sanitary and allows me to get every last drop out. This has a nice natural matte finish that works well with my combo oily/dry skin. This is fragrance free and the active sunscreens in this are all mineral, so it's a great choice for sensitive skintypes too.

on 5/13/2015 1:41:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Cool

I bought this foundation on a whim because I couldn't find my normal one, and I have to say I don't really care for it. I bought the shade in 200, "light/medium." The foundation itself is a white/grey liquid with different speckles of dark and light foundation. I find it's a little strange because it leaves my skin looking a tad grey when it's blended in. I also find that the foundation has little to no coverage. The only pluses about this product are how light it feels on the skin and the SPF 15. Honestly though, I feel like this could just be a glorified sunscreen. The price point on this foundation also seems kind of high. It ranges from $8 - $15 for one ounce of product. I won't be repurchasing this.

Finally, a foundation that works for a warm toned pale face! Most "Light" colored foundations assume you are cool or pink. Or they have too much brown in them. This one enables my face to match my ears for a change!!!

If your skin has warm undertones, I recommend this foundation. It is very light. Get the matching concealer to cover anything you need to cover.

on 3/17/2015 12:57:00 PM

Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Not Sure

This product comes out as white cream with tiny gray beads. The whole cream changes color as you rub it in, if you look closely you see all the color is in the beads. I think they always turn into the same color regardless. I even rubbed the product between two sheets of white kitchen towel and it came out orangey foundation colored.
This made me sure that the only reason they have it as a white product is so you get to see it magically transform; It's not adapting, however; all you're doing is mixing the foundation - on your face.

So as far as skin matching this is just like any other cc or bb cream.

Aside from the deceptive and medieval alchemy claims, this product does not perform badly at all as sunscreen ( it's zinc oxide and titanium dioxide-based which I like) and non greasy base.

If it matched my yellow-toned skin I would at least finish the bottle. But on me it's neutral leaning ashy pink.

on 2/24/2015 5:39:00 AM

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm

Overall: 4
Price: 2 ( not expensive; ~$13)
Packaging: 3
Buy again yes
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

About me: Asian, late 20's, oily, acne prone. Light - med olive skin tone with freckles.

I have this in shade 200 light/medium. I really like this product! When this product first came out at least 7 years ago I paid no attention to it. But about 3 months ago I was looking for a lightweight, everyday kind of face product that would be a step up from a tinted moisturizer. I've tried Korean BB creams and they are just too light for me and oily, so I'm done with them. American BB creams just aren't there in terms of feel and texture compared to the Asian ones, so I feel like the Almay smartshade is exactly what I wish the BB creams were.

First, I like how foolproof the shade selection is. It's very forgiving on most skintones , so even if you are slightly different in shades various times of the year, it should generally match you. It starts out of the tube as a white creamy lotion with a bunch of grey dots in it, and as you blend into your skin it magically transforms into your skin colour! I rarely use the term "magical" for anything so consider this legit.

Feel and coverage:
it's lightweight and not sticky, depending on how much you use. I use about a pea size amount to start, dotting it on my forehead, nose, cheeks and chin and blend. I find it gives light coverage that is buildable with a second layer to what I would consider just shy of medium coverage. I started using it in fall/winter months when the air is drier so I don't find it heavy right now. I typically set with pressed powder, and for any areas that need more coverage I layer a small amount of Everyday Minerals loose foundation applied with a concealer brush to the spots directly.

I like that it has spf15 - I know it's probably not broad spectrum but hey it's better than nothing. If I am truly concerned with Sun protection, I will wear a higher spf prior to application.

Wearability :
I find it lasts well throughout the day, around 5 hours without touch up for me. Around 5 hrs I start to get shiny and require blotting, but after blotting it looks like new so I have worn it up to 10 hrs without any problems. I find that the colour stays true, I don't turn orange, and it doesn't fade on me.

Packaging:
I love the little squeeze tube. It's perfect for travel, the small nozzle opening keeps things clean. The tube is sleek and fits into any makeup bag easily. And 30 mLs (1 fluid ounce) is standard size for most face makeup.

All in all I really like this and will continue to buy.

on 11/20/2014 1:49:00 AM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

I have light skin, of normal complexion. The light 100 color suits me perfectly, it's neutral and creamy in color. I used to use a Bobby Brown foundation and this one outperforms it in both color and durability. If you powder it, it can last you a fair amount of time, around 6-8 hours without melting off. And if you wear a tiny amount of primer, apply the foundation, set it with powder and then top it off with setting spray, I'd say it lasts 8 hours for sure.The coverage I find is medium and a bit matte, not cakey at all. It doesn't turn orange on me either.

Quite frankly this is my favorite foundation at the moment, and personally it doesn't break me out, though I don't have acne-prone skin. But if you do have acneic skin, it's not recommended to use any type of foundation anyway, no matter how non-comedogenic it may state it is it can still clog your pores because you're layering them with makeup.
I've been using it for about two months straight, and when I run out of it I am definitely going to repurchase.

on 11/7/2014 10:17:00 PM

I purchased this in zLight, and other than it blended into the skin with no detection whatsoever,that is all it did. No coverage at all and honestly the product has nothing else to offer.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Black, Curly, Fine

Awful, awful, awful! I bought the light/medium 200 and the medium 300. They both turned into a chocolate color. I tried shaking them to see if would turn into the true color but it was to no avail. I trashed them and lost money to boot. Never will I buy Almay. As the saying goes you get what you pay for.

on 9/20/2014 10:43:00 AM

I used to use this product a lot. It was one of the first "liquid foundations" I ever used. Before that, I only used Bare Essentuals mineral makeup and loved it for about 3 years! It usually looked nice and dewy and velvety, until it started to cause me to get irritation, burning feeling and tons of pimples and rashes. I have determined I must be allergic to something in Bare Essentuals, and sadly I can no longer use it. So I am still searching for my HG face makeup....
Although I like the idea of a tinted moisturizer that contains SPF and provides some light coverage, Almay Smart Shade just isnt the right product for me. At first I liked the idea of the color match technology because I always found matching my skin tone to be very difficult. With continued use of this tinted moisturizer, I found that the weird grey color it looks like when you squeeze it from the tube will sometimes change to something pretty, and sometimes it doesnt! it will also occasionally turn completely orange with almost black streaks! and other times after I apply it I look grey like it never changed color as it is supposed to "match your skin tone"!

Its very visible on top of my skin, it feels wet and sticky for a long time, I always had to cover it with a powder and it makes me oily.
Although this used to be my main face product, I no longer like it, and would not buy it again.

on 6/9/2014 3:53:00 PM

What a funny product. I was enthused to purchase this foundation, as it is reasonably priced, cruelty-free, and received a decent review on Paula's Choice. When I checked the ingredients list, nothing popped out that would be of concern for my extra-sensitive skin. I picked it up and didn't try it right away, but decided to check the reviews here. I noticed that a number of reviewers mentioned the whitish initial tint, of this product, turning orange on their faces. So, when I decided to test the product myself, I was pleased and perplexed by my initial experience. Smart Shade spread easily and the formula didn't reveal any dry patches on my skin (a common issue that I experience); the end result appeared to be an even-toned glow that masked slight redness and adapted to my pale, neutral skin tone. I wondered, at this point, whether I was much warmer-toned than I had realized--maybe I actually possessed orange undertones to my skin and therefore didn't have the problem of "orangeness" that others complained about. But alas, about 10 minutes later, I looked in the mirror in better lighting and noticed that, indeed, my face had turned orange, too! Not only that, there was a brown, dirt-like streak running up and down my face from the formula (despite the fact that I shook the product pretty vigorously before applying it). While it's annoying to have wasted money on a foundation that performs so, er, unpredictably, the orange face/brown streak look was comical enough that I had to laugh. This is only my experience, of course; Smart Shade seems to work well for a number of others. Ymmv.