October 24, 2014 | 1727 users online

Liquid - Almay - Smart Shade Makeup SPF 15

rated 1 of 5 on 9/20/2014 10:43:00 AM More reviews by MeloraRabbit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I used to use this product a lot. It was one of the first "liquid foundations" I ever used. Before that, I only used Bare Essentuals mineral makeup and loved it for about 3 years! It usually looked nice and dewy and velvety, until it started to cause me to get irritation, burning feeling and tons of pimples and rashes. I have determined I must be allergic to something in Bare Essentuals, and sadly I can no longer use it. So I am still searching for my HG face makeup....
Although I like the idea of a tinted moisturizer that contains SPF and provides some light coverage, Almay Smart Shade just isnt the right product for me. At first I liked the idea of the color match technology because I always found matching my skin tone to be very difficult. With continued use of this tinted moisturizer, I found that the weird grey color it looks like when you squeeze it from the tube will sometimes change to something pretty, and sometimes it doesnt! it will also occasionally turn completely orange with almost black streaks! and other times after I apply it I look grey like it never changed color as it is supposed to "match your skin tone"!

Its very visible on top of my skin, it feels wet and sticky for a long time, I always had to cover it with a powder and it makes me oily.
Although this used to be my main face product, I no longer like it, and would not buy it again.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/9/2014 3:53:00 PM More reviews by moonstone2

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

What a funny product. I was enthused to purchase this foundation, as it is reasonably priced, cruelty-free, and received a decent review on Paula's Choice. When I checked the ingredients list, nothing popped out that would be of concern for my extra-sensitive skin. I picked it up and didn't try it right away, but decided to check the reviews here. I noticed that a number of reviewers mentioned the whitish initial tint, of this product, turning orange on their faces. So, when I decided to test the product myself, I was pleased and perplexed by my initial experience. Smart Shade spread easily and the formula didn't reveal any dry patches on my skin (a common issue that I experience); the end result appeared to be an even-toned glow that masked slight redness and adapted to my pale, neutral skin tone. I wondered, at this point, whether I was much warmer-toned than I had realized--maybe I actually possessed orange undertones to my skin and therefore didn't have the problem of "orangeness" that others complained about. But alas, about 10 minutes later, I looked in the mirror in better lighting and noticed that, indeed, my face had turned orange, too! Not only that, there was a brown, dirt-like streak running up and down my face from the formula (despite the fact that I shook the product pretty vigorously before applying it). While it's annoying to have wasted money on a foundation that performs so, er, unpredictably, the orange face/brown streak look was comical enough that I had to laugh. This is only my experience, of course; Smart Shade seems to work well for a number of others. Ymmv.

rated 1 of 5 on 6/6/2014 8:57:00 AM More reviews by hdow2

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

This makeup goes on my pale skin orange and just gets more orange as the day goes on. Not only did it not match my skin tone , it broke my face out in major acne. Yay! I would not recommend for anyone with sensitive skin or with yellow undertones. This would have been great if it had worked because I liked the consistency of it and the coverage.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/12/2014 8:15:00 PM More reviews by spawling

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Medium Eyes: Blue

I got this product on a whim because I have never tried an Almay facial product. The packaging intrigued me as well because it is in a cute squeeze tube package. I was very interested to see whether the whole "skin-tone matching" thing actually worked. One of the first things that put me off was the color range but then again a product claiming to match your skin-tone when it comes out of the tube and touches your skin shouldn't need 10 different shades.

I used the NYX Pore Filler primer before putting this product on because when I did a mini swatch on my hand I saw how thick the product actually felt. The product blends out smoothly and it feels a little bit sticky but nothing too serious. When blended out it doesn't feel as thick. My thoughts were that I was sure to get oily if I used this product alone. It has a weird, chemical smell but nothing too intense where it smells through out the whole day. At first it comes out white with little beads of black but once it's blended out it turns to your skin color. I have the shade in light and it blends into my skin perfectly.

The color matches me very well so I am defiantly impressed with that. The only down-side to this is that it doesn't have the amount of coverage that I would prefer. I am a 15 year old acne prone girl and I've got some major redness going on for me. This does some evening of the skin but as far as covering up acne it doesn't do much for me. I do, however, feel it covers some red areas and blends my basic skin-tone into one even shade minus the pimples. I apply concealer to cover my pimples and set everything with a dusting of powder. As far as wear throughout the day it does get dewy at some point but it is a sheen that is actually pleasant. It's that nice type of dewy that many girls like to wear on their cheeks.

Overall I feel like this product is decent and although I did give it 4 lippies I feel like it deserves 3.5. The L'Oreal BB Cream is a lot better than this product in my opinion and has around the same amount of coverage maybe even more. I wouldn't consider this a foundation but maybe a tinted sunscreen if you will. I will use this product up and purchase a new product to try. I might repurchase this for the summer but I'm not positive. I would recommend this to girls who have dry skin and very little to cover. Another recommendation would be to wear a primer under this product.

Hope this review helped you guys out sorry for its length :P

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2014 8:01:00 AM More reviews by MsBargain

I just started using the ALMAY smart shade anti-aging makeup. I love that the coverage doesn't make me look like I have been to the local mortician for a makeover. It feels light on my face and it blends well with my skin tone without caking into the pores and lines. It also seems to stay on for the entire day.

rated 4 of 5 on 1/30/2014 11:44:00 PM More reviews by RachaelM88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

So, I tried this foundation because Almay was doing a bogo half off sale. I love the squeeze tube--it makes it easy to control. I initially tried to apply this with a foundation brush, which is the norm for me, but quickly realized this foundation is best applied with your fingers. Like other reviewers, I do feel like this is kind of a "foundation/tinted moisturizer" kind of product. I was able to achieve medium coverage with it, but I felt like I applied a lot of product to get to that point. The result was beautiful, though! My large pores were gone, and my minor blemish marks were barely there. After some time passed I did notice that it started to oxidize, which is why I didn't give it 5 lippies. I am NC15 in MAC which is pretty light, and I felt like it oxidized about 1 shade darker. Not orange-y though, which is good because I feel like I could keep using this if I blend it down my neck a little. It held up pretty well on my oily skin, but I don't think I would rely on this for a special occasion. I did blot a couple of times during the day, so I'm not sure how this will hold up when the summer hits. All in all, I would say this product is a nice little gem to have around on the days when you don't want to use your high end foundation, or days when you don't want a lot of fuss.

rated 1 of 5 on 1/29/2014 10:18:00 PM More reviews by charophyta

This is the ugliest foundation I've ever seen, and also the weirdest. I got it on clearance, and when I read on the package that it's a "smart skin sensing formula" and "transforms instantly into your ideal shade" I imagined that it would have a mixture of shades in it that blend for color correction, or something like that.( I love stuff like that.)

Nope, this stuff literally starts CHANGING COLOR when it comes out of the tube. At first it looked like a speckly offwhite color. Then it started morphing into streaks of weird dark orange with occasional dark purplish streaks in some areas. What the heck? It was incredibly splotchy and streaky and orange. It was a train wreck and did not resemble my true skin tone in the least. I thought... oh... this is my IDEAL shade? Is it? Hmm... maybe... well... NO. Pretty sure it's not.

Then I thought maybe once it was on my face it would slowly continue transforming into a normal color, so I left it on. I was in a rush, and ran out the door and hopped in the car. While I was driving, I looked in the mirror to see how it was doing, and it was bad. When I got to work, I tried to fix it before I got out of the car. I thought I could blend it out to make it more even and get rid of the splotches, but it was like my skin had been stained orange in streaks. They wouldn't blend. Before I walked in to work, I quickly covered with a different foundation and some normal looking powder, managing to hide the orange splotches to some extent.

How does this product exist? Ugliest foundation ever.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/23/2014 11:59:00 AM More reviews by beautygal1986

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I purchased this product at rite aid for $0.57 after the clearance price and coupon I had...So, I didn't want to pass it up, since I had been dying to try this product for a long time...I was surprised that it has shimmer in it...and disappointed :( Nothing on the packaging says there is shimmer in it, yet when u apply it, it clearly has shimmer....I am not going to bother taking it back since it only cost me some change, but I don't think I will be repurchasing it again....I will have to give it more of a go before I know for sure what I think of it...the shimmer is disappointing though :( It's light coverage, not like a foundation, but that will be nice for summer time....

rated 1 of 5 on 1/19/2014 4:23:00 AM More reviews by flowerpan10

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Very Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I don't understand how this is mostly claimed as a tinted moisturize because for me it was very thick and covered my red red face that comes from excessive acne. It stayed all day long which for me is because of this drying Neutrogena face wash I use which cuts down any natural oil as well as liquid makeup. I don't know anything about the blemish cover because honestly I don't look for that. I just like a lot of color correction. The thing that hit me the worst was that the color was so orange I looked like a cheap snooki doll and I got this in light/medium which is usually workable. I had no hope for this. Will not be repurchasing.

rated 4 of 5 on 12/1/2013 2:57:00 PM More reviews by TantjeKimmie

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

LOVE this lightweight 'foundation'! Ideal for light and natural coverage. Lasts almost all day, and with oily skin, that's a blessing! Goes on semi-matte. Best way to apply is using your fingers. Does not break me out and I have blemish prone and sensitive skin. The only negative thing I have to say about this foundation is that I wish it had more colours (yellow vs pink undertone) Right now they all are pretty pink to neutral undertoned and the difference between light and light-medium is pretty big but I always buy both and then mix them to get my ideal shade. I do this in empty glass foundation bottles but you can also buy plastic empty travel pump bottles. Great value, great buy, my go to daywear foundation! PS: for europeans it's not available in stores but I always stock up when in LA or buy on ebay.