November 22, 2014 | 1979 users online

Moisturizers - Erno Laszlo - Active Phelityl Cream

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/23/2013 4:35:00 PM More reviews by garstrieper

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I got a generous sample of this from my best friend, and it's lasted me for several months, using less than a fourth of a pea size at night around my eyes and on dry patches. My skin is extremely oily in general, but I love a thick night moisturizer with a bit of slip to it. This feels silky and adds a nice sheen to my skin, I could never wear this underneath makeup, but I often pat a tiny amount over my cheek and brow bones to highlight those areas. I don't know if I would buy this, because I use it so little. I'm always afraid this will break me out if I used it all over my T Zone, and the only time I apply it to my whole face is when I'm about to color my hair. Overall, though, this is lovely and I'd definitely recommend to people with very dry skin and no acne problems.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/18/2013 4:45:00 PM More reviews by purpldy

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Curly, Fine Eyes: Blue

This is now called "Active Phelityl Intensive Cream" but it is the same great formulation that I have been using off and on for 20 years. This used to be marketed for "slightly dry" skin, now labeled all skin types, but I could never understand why only slightly dry as it is basically Vaseline, but much better than Vaseline. Dry, very dry, slightly dry, you are either going to love or hate this one. I love it as I like greasy face creams that take awhile to absorb, especially at night. I am urber sensitive to fragrances but this has never bothered me, but it does have a slightly petrolatum with lavender scent. I put my serum on and then smooth this over the top at night, but I also use this during the day slightly lighter handed. The texture isn't for everyone, but those who are dry skinned might want to give this a try if other creams have not worked for you. A little goes a long way and the 1.7oz jar lasts me 4-6 months depending on the climate. Just as a side note, when the new jar came out it is now glass instead of plastic and feels like it weighs about 5 lbs in my arthritic hands. I actually putty'd the jar to my counter to stop me from picking it up least I drop it. There was nothing wrong with the plastic jars of the past ;-)

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 8/12/2012 1:09:00 PM More reviews by georgia21

This is a very moisturizing night cream and would be suitable for my dry/very dry skin except for the scent, which I found to be too strong and overwhelming for me. It's packaged in a jar.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 4/13/2012 12:16:00 AM More reviews by Journey03

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Olive, Neutral Hair: Black, Relaxed, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ok.. I, too, purchased this product only because I read Marilyn Monroe said this was her favorite. Since I a HUGE MM fan, I thought this was the closest I would ever get to MM... by using the same products as her, I would have lovely skin like her. I was at my local Nordstroms and I asked for a sample first to see if my face would tolerate it since I have dry, sensitve, reactive skin. After the first night of trying it, i was hooked. I loved the consistency, the smell and the overall feel of this lovely cream. It is similar to the consistency of Elizabeth Arden 8 hour protective cream except not that gooey, but more "creamy". I loooove the smell,, it has a soothing, floral, old hollywood glam to it.. kind of like MM herself. I love how my skin feels in the morning and how the smell just lingers on my pillow case. It makes my dry, parched, flakey skin smooth and glowing. Yes, it's quite expensive at $65 a jar, ,but I would definitely repurchase it- no doubt.

5 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/8/2011 8:54:00 AM More reviews by Moonchitaa

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Straight, Fine Eyes: Green

I shamefully admit that I bought this because of the fact that Marilyn Monroe used to it. Ive always thought her skin looked very smooth and unlined (considering that facial botox didnt wasnt around in the 50s/60s). Anyway, its expensive first off and the packaging is very elegant. The cream itself is like a very milky vaseline (or aquaphor for Amercian ladies!). Its not quite as gooey or sticky as vaseline, its more of a smooth, rich texture. It smells clean and comforting- kind of like baby lotion. My skin is very very dry (with an oily T zone) so I need something rather heavy and moisturising for my face in order to prevent lines forming. My skin gets easily chapped by the wind and I dont sunbathe anymore as my skin just cannot take it- it just goes red and angry. This cream is a Godsend for me. It is the only thing ive found (apart from unrefined shea butter which i had to stop using as it was too clogging for my face) that keeps my skin fresh, dewy, completely hydrated and plumped up all day long. The cream is not only moisturising but it forms a barrier to my skin that prevents the wind, rain and general harshness of life from touching it. I LOVE THIS PRODUCT!! What I really love is the plumping effect I get from this- my skin seems plumped with moisture and completely and utterly comforted. In fact, this cream is kind of like giving your face a hug lol. I do feel that if your skin is very oily or you prefer thin, watery lotions then you will not like this as it is a very rich, heavy cream. If your skin is like mine however you will adore this with a passion. Marilyn was right- this cream is like heaven.

10 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/11/2011 11:26:00 AM More reviews by WNDINTER

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

OMGosh I totally love this cream! I have very dry skin and was always on the hunt for relief. This is something I will put on on a day that I am just hanging around the house. I put it in my hands warm it up then apply it to my face. Yep, it does stay on the top of the skin and as it warms up after wearing it a while I keep smoothing it in. My skin is radient and soft the next day and my cronic eczyma has dissapeared. I am especially dry in my brows and this is remedied by appling a very small amount to the brow (even looks great with full make up as it slicks the brows down without the flacky gel happening). I am a make up junkie and frequently will switch from something I 'love' to a product I purchased because it offers GWP. Not this one. I am a die hard user. Just hope it never gets discontinued.

rated 2 of 5 on 1/11/2009 1:14:00 AM More reviews by akao

I am a product junkie so decided to give this a test drive one day as I was wandering around the mall one day. I have dry/dehydrated skin and am always in the search of all things related to hydration. I’ll be really honest – I was not and have never been sold on the Laszlo concept of purchasing an entire series of products from one brand to support my skin care routine – which is something I feel the brand and the SA’s push very hard on…more so than most brands.

However having said that the SA that I spoke to said that I could purchase the Active Phyelityl cream on its own and it would do wonders for me.

It is a thick petroleum type of cream – not unlike the Kiehel’s Anti-Oxidant Skin Preserver - which I love. However I was never able to get this cream to absorb. In addition to that I never woke up feeling that this product really hydrated my skin. As soon as I washed my face in the morning removing the product I was back to dry skin. Back to dry skin after putting up with a thick layer of stuff on my face that did not absorb after 8 hours of sleep?!?!?! What the heck…and keep in mind that I’m just using Purpose for a cleanser – which is a mild cleanser.

In addition to that – the smell is HORRIBLE and is a smell that I can’t describe. It made me kind of queasy – but I would have been able to put up with the smell if the product actually did anything for me.

I will give this product points in the sense that it did not irritate my ubber sensitive skin and did not cause any breakouts.

I gave this product a 2 month trial before chucking it since it did nothing for my skin. Why pay 60 bucks for nada?
continued >>

4 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 12/7/2008 2:54:00 PM More reviews by Dawdlebean

Age: 36-43 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Red, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

A really lovely moisturizer, heavy duty and lasts all night. I am 11:30 Laszlo ritual, and my skin becomes more parched in the winter months. This is a very nice night time moisturizer, it feels very emollient, almost like vaseline, but by the morning it has absorbed completely. Leaving a soft glowing complexion. On really cold/ windy days I pat a small amount of this over my foundation and blusher. It stops my skin from drying out, and gives it a nice fresh "dewy" appearance. Good value too as a little goes a long way.

6 out of 6 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/30/2008 11:09:00 AM More reviews by hollyc01

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Dry, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have very dry skin and have always had to add a drop or two of glycerin to my face creams. I always use night creams 24/7 as well because of dryness. This is the first moisturizer I have not had to do this with. The texture is very heavy and looks like milky vaseline. A tiny bit (the size of 1/2 a pea) warmed between my fingers and patted over my face is plenty both night and day. When used at night I awaken to rosey, soft, refreshed skin. Through the day, in spite of its heavy texture, my makeup stays freshy, satiny and dewy. You can get 4 jars of this for what 1 jar of Creme de la Mer would cost. Easy choice for me. I'm a Laszlo convert!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 6/2/2008 9:43:00 PM More reviews by Lyaana

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Cool Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

Update: It's been 3 months and this is it for me...My Holy Grail

This is it for me! I am 11:30, Slightly Dry and this line does the trick for me. No more moisturizing 2 or 3 times all I use is a dab and my skin is moisturized. Also when I wake up my skin is no longer dry and dull. Lastly, a little goes a long way so don't be put off by the price because it should last you about 6 months.