Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser

3.5

on 8/31/2015 1:47:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure

I bought this recently after researching how important ph balanced cleansers are and remembered having luck with this 13 years ago while I was staying in a furnished cabin. I used it for about a month back then and my acne cleared up and my skin looked amazing. Back then I remember not liking the texture or smell at all but used it because I forgot my own cleanser. I still don't like the non-lathering, weird glue smelling stuff but have having such bad skin troubles I gave it a shot. It seemed to not clean my skin well enough and not rinse completely off. I read reviews like crazy before hand and no one else had this problem :( For having such lame ingredients; parbens- which I read cause cancer though there's debate whether they effect you in a cleanser because you rinse the product off right away, but they are banned from products in other countries so there's that, and sulfates which is an irritating detergent that can disrupt your ph of your skin, cetyl and stearyl alcohol, which according to cosdna.com, are both irritating and acne causing. So I definitely don't feel it's worth it for me.

on 8/28/2015 1:16:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure

I have acne-prone, easy break-out after stop BC pills.
I just started to used Cetaphil 7 days ago and I can feel significant difference compare to others brand-name cleansers. I have tried: Special Cleanser Dermalogica/La-Roche Possay for oily sensitive skin/Garmade Sebo-Control/Origins Mushrooms Relief (this one is ok, i rated 2 or 3 because I don't feel clean after cleansing). Those cleaners are too strong for my sensitive combination skin. They make my skin feel tight and irritate and rash really bad.
I don't know if Cetaphil could wipe out my red prone-acnes or not but what I can feel now is relief for my skin and super clean after cleansing.

on 8/26/2015 1:36:00 AM

This had the Good Housekeeping seal on it, and since I'm definitely not an expert on what constitutes good housekeeping I decided to take their word on this.

I love this cleanser. I have very sensitive skin and many allergies and this is mild but gets rid of all of your makeup and face grunge. My skin tends to be dry as well, and, as I live in a place where the air hurts my face in the winter (Chicago) I can't afford to use a cleanser that is harsh. This keeps my skin perfect, and I don't have breakouts when I use it, either.

on 8/21/2015 2:31:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm

Hair: Other, Wavy, Medium

I've used this because I thought I needed something gentle to resolve my acne- not to further irritate it. I felt like it did nothing to my face. It's not a strong enough to cleanse. I wear makeup and always cleanse first with makeup remover and then this. But it didn't help with my acne. My pores were still clogged. No, won't buy it again

on 8/20/2015 8:02:00 PM

Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure

So I have oily and sensitive skin and after 1 month of using this cleanser I started breaking out and turning completely red. This has bad ingrediants in it and honestly just was HORRID for me. Will not buy ever again, and would not recommend to a friend. However using the cerave foaming facial cleanser saved my skin, no it didn't help with oil but it calmed my skinned down, and over all was the most gentle.

on 8/20/2015 2:19:00 AM

I've heard SO much on this dermatologist-recommended cleanser before finally getting my hands on it...

This is a very mild, fragrance-free cleanser that does not lather...at all. In fact, it feels like a very runny lotion that somewhat removes impurities without drying it out at all. However, a seperate make-up remover is required, I suspect it doesn't act as a make-up remover and cleanser all in one.

I would recommend this to dry-normal skin... or sensitised skin that requires some soothing action.

on 8/18/2015 2:14:00 PM

Put simply, this stuff saved my skin! As a long-time user of Clinique’s Facial Soap Bar I was shocked (and more than a bit annoyed) to discover I could no longer use it as it caused my skin to react the worst it has in a very long time. One of my friends recommended this to calm the angry, red, hot and itchy mess my face had become and after the second use my skin was (almost) back to normal.

I’ve now been using this for about 3 weeks and can honestly say the skin on my face looks better than it has in a long time. I’m not suffering from the red cheeks or horrible dry patches I used to get – which I now suspect was caused by the Clinique soap being too harsh for my skin - and this has never broken me out either. It doesn't smell the best and has a slightly weird gel-like consistency that takes a bit of getting used to, but overall I will definitely repurchase this once my bottle’s empty. For a drugstore product it's on the more expensive side at £7.19 (from Boots), but I personally think it's worth every penny. Especially when you consider I can buy two of these for the price of one Clinique Facial Soap Bar.

on 8/9/2015 11:45:00 AM

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

I have been hearing so much good stuff about this product, from the YT beauty community to regular posters on here, commenting how much of a HG it is to them, so I tried it out.

Just for your reference, I have sensitive, oily and acne prone skin!

1) I honestly don't find it to be that great of a product......I find that when i use this cleanser it just leaves a barrier between the product itself and my skin..and I'm not too sure whether I'm fond of the idea because I somehow don't find it to be "clean".

2) I use it on a daily basis. Some people have mentioned that this product has cured their acne....but it didn't for me!! I had some breakouts occasionally (that time of the month / or clogged pores since I wear makeup on an everyday basis due to my job) and I tried using this but it DOES NOT solve the problem. It does not soothe the redness...or anything like that! I just find that it does not have any kind of healing properties - not that the product claims to have any of that but hearing from different opinions, I definitely do not find it that way.

All in all...I don't find it that much of a HG. I definitely will NOT repurchase this...i have not even used up yet and already considering thrashing this to the bin. If anything, for my skin condition (if any of you reading this also has similar problems as I do), just stick to Eau Thermale Avene gel cleanser (recommended by my dermatologist - works amazingly and solved my acne problems) or Neutrogena Oil Free Acne Cleanser - BOTH of them works great and I truly see results.

Hope that helps!

on 8/9/2015 3:57:00 AM

Skin: Sensitive, Tan, Not Sure

My friend uses this and I do too. It works wonders for my skin! I have sensitive and combination skin. This cleanser leaves my face fresh and clean, and never causes breakouts. But everyone has different skin, so yeah.

on 8/8/2015 3:57:00 PM

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse

I do not find this to leave my skin feeling in any way clean when I just wash and rinse it off. The only way I can get any type of a clean feeling is if I wash, rinse and then use a facecloth with very hot water to dab and rub my face.
I actually prefer using the oil cleansing method. In my opinion the least gentle part of using the OCM is having to use hot water and a face cloth to remove the oil, so I figured using the Cetaphil would allow me to skip the step of using hot water/face cloth, but it did not.
If I'm going to have to use really hot water and a facecloth, I prefer plain old coconut oil over this. Plus if I leave the coconut oil residue on my face a little bit, I know that I don't have anything strange sinking into my skin.
Not impressed. The Cetaphil is no gentler or less irritating than coconut oil.

(I typically use the oil cleansing method twice per day, however I purchased this under the advice of my dermatologist as I'm currently on Retin-A. So once a day I would use the Cetaphil before applying my Retin-A, and then the other time that I wash I would use the oil cleansing method. But I'm so displeased with the Cetaphil that I'm just going to continue using the oil cleansing method for both times that I wash my face).