December 21, 2014 | 1781 users online

Masks - Desert Essence - Desert Essence Pore Clarifying Mask

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/8/2007 6:10:00 AM More reviews by LolaBlue

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I have dry, sensitive, acne-prone skin and finding a clay mask that does not leave my skin as dry as the sahara is a challenge. Due to my skins sensitive nature there are very few treatments I can use to attack my acne, but I have found tea tree oil to be very effective. in addition to worrying about it being too drying it also contains several ingredients that have either broken me out in the past (kelp, glucosamine) and essential oils I worried would cause irritation (spearmint, cinnamon). However once I used it all my fears were pushed aside. I experienced no ill effects and it seemed to strike the right balance between clays and other ingredients so that it was not over drying, but still cleansed my skin well. my skin looked clean and refreshed and it did help to clear up acne. once I have removed the mask and put on whatever night treatment I'm going to use I place a small dot of this mask on whatever acne I have, and use it as a spot treatment, and it works very well for that purpose. I was thrilled that I got these results with only a small amount of product, so a 2oz jar lasts quite a while. I would highly recommend this mask to anyone who's looking for a gentle clay mask or to those who suffer from acne.

rated 4 of 5 on 4/2/2007 10:44:00 PM More reviews by wallaccd

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I have oily/acne prone skin, and I use this mask about 1-2x a week. It feels nice, and is soothing when I'm broken out. It is a typical clay mask, so it becomes very dry the longer you leave it on. Usually, that drying process makes my skin itchy, but not with this mask. I also use the DE Thoroughly Clean Face Wash with Awapuhi, 100% Jojoba Oil, and Kinder to Skin Tea Tree Oil. Love all of them!

**Update**I have read the posts for aspirin masks as acne treatment. After trying it for myself, I realized I needed a base for the aspirin, instead of just dissolving them and trying to spread them on my face. So I mixed an aspirin dissolved with a few drops of hot water with this DE mask and it worked great!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 4/14/2006 12:08:00 PM More reviews by Girlfit

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral Hair: Red, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I have been using this mask once every 1-2 weeks and I am pretty satisfied with it. I have pretty radiant skin and not much problem with breakouts anyway so I don't know how much of this mask is doing to keep blemishes at bay and improve my skin. I wish the product was in a squeeze tube and not in a jar for hygenic reasons, however. But that really isn't a big deal for me. I use this mask whenever I have some extra bath soaking time. I probably WOULD buy it again (I'm actually on my second jar), but I have acquired a full sized tube "from where I work" of Ahava Mud Masque, which is comprable to this product. So I'll start using that after I finish the Dessert Essence. But good product though. I didn't ever have any reaction or sensitivity.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 2/22/2006 12:20:00 PM More reviews by jiney17

Honestly, this is about as good as any clay mask I've ever tried (Queen Helene Mint Julep; Burt's Bees Green Goddess; Got2B Pure Intent; Aztec Magic Healing Clay). It does a decent job of sucking junk out of my pores (I have combination skin, by the way), leaving my face feeling smooth and soft. It doesn't irritate or inflame my skin, but I am not particularly sensitive. I prefer the tub packaging since the texture of this mask is very thick and a squeeze tube (a la QHMJM) would be annoying and actually messier. I think this is fine for the natural ingredients list, though it's nothing really special in the world of clay masks. Will probably not repurchase as there are other things out there that are slightly more affordable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 12/16/2005 10:06:00 AM More reviews by flairgirl8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I would give this 10 lippies. It is the best mask I have ever used on my combination skin. I have used so many clay based masks over the years and never find them any better than the inexpensive Queen Helen Mint Julip mask. But this one really works for me and contains great ingredients. I think the secret is that the 2nd ingredient is bentonite clay as opposed to kaolin clay. This is the first clay mask that pops up a couple blackheads for me each time. Also contains the skin calmer Sea Kelp extract and Oxypeptide. Oxypeptide is Saccharomyces lysate which is prime food for cellular respiration, increasing oxygenation in the cell and helps to promote cell turnover by up to 25%. Also contains aloe vera gel, spearmint oil, tea tree oil, cinnamon oil, and great herbal skin detoxifiers: burdock root, licorice root, echinacea root, chicory extract, sarsaparilla root and rumex root. Massage into face and leave on at least 15 minutes. For problem areas, dab on a small amount at night. The dominant fragrance I pick up here is spearmint. I use this 3X week after doing a microdermabrasion scrub. Paraben free

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No