October 25, 2014 | 1086 users online

Fragrances - Andy Tauer - L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2014 9:59:00 AM More reviews by CareerLady

Age: 56 & Over Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Other

One Tiny Drop is enough! This is one extremely powerful perfume. Dab, do not douse... my eyes were tearing the first time I applied a few drops of my little sample. It takes about 2 hours to develop from cloying sweet (minus the powder thank goodness), to an ambery incense worthy of a goddess (or god). I think this is a truly unisex scent and I might even LOVE it on men. There is a lasting sharpness that outwits powder and keeps the perfume feeling fresh - though it does morph beautifully with (on me) just the slightest hint of tobacco (possibly sage). It's the incense of the desert air, but not as dry as a Gobin-Daude for example. The bitter orange does give it a lift into sage territory - and the patchouli keeps it earthy and moist. The amber and petitgrain I think, give it the lasting impression as the embers glow and then finally go out.

rated 5 of 5 on 1/8/2014 12:51:00 PM More reviews by asoka

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this, it is my all time favorite fragrance. Three years ago I dropped and broke a bottle of this, and it completely broke my heart. I received a new bottle for Christmas and I am so happy to own this again. The packaging is lovely, it even came with a little card personally signed by Andy Tauer. :) This smells like campfires, incense and coca-cola to my nose. I love it on skin and fabric, it's powerful stuff, so a couple sprays and your good for at least six hours, but it'll lightly linger for up to 24 hours! The best part about this perfume is that it works in all seasons, and it's a great everyday scent. I love wearing this in hot sticky weather, this is my hot weather go-to fragrance, it makes me feel cool, fresh and clean. Even though this is not a girly, fruity-floral sexy scent- I always get compliments wearing this, especially from men. It smells great, it's unique, and it lasts a long time. If I could have only one perfume, this would be the one.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 9/7/2013 4:42:00 PM More reviews by lemonlye

Oh baby, that's a good amber! Love the cistus/labdanum/rockrose aspect. I sense the edginess of vetiver lurking under there, and a whiff of aldehydes and citrus sometimes. But as I wear this, it blooms into a consistently lovely amber-and-incense scent. More like Southwest desert incense than church incense--a touch of sage among the light smoke. I missed this the next day after I moved on to another scent sample, and kept sniffing my sweater where I could smell the remnants of Desert Marocain on it. Both of which are very, very good signs.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 7/7/2013 6:17:00 PM More reviews by lurketylurk

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

Whenever I sniff an Andy Tauer, I am amazed at how gifted he is at transporting me to the place that inspired the scent, just through one whiff. Le Maroc pour elle takes me to Morocco (though I’ve never actually been there) just as I would imagine it to be: a rich floriental, the top notes are sweet rose and jasmine, quickly followed by a wallop of cedar. I’m in a Moorish courtyard, surrounded by flowers, but there’s a wind intruding upon my oasis, bringing dusty desert air. I also get the faintest whiff of citrus and sandalwood as the scent dries down.
This is one of those scents that I really wish came in candle form. I can’t really wear it on my skin, because it’s not exactly “me”-too much rose, and too much spicy cedar. It has a more mature feel than I prefer to wear. However, I would love to make my apartment smell like Morocco-it’s much cheaper than a plane ticket, after all!

rated 4 of 5 on 5/26/2013 10:36:00 PM More reviews by jjsodapop

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Just visited Scent Bar today and tried this fragrance. This was one on my list of must-try. After a lot of rave reviews, I thought this would be perfect for me.

First, I smelled it on the paper tester. Ugh. Very strong, almost pine-y scent. Not pleasant. I had no idea what all the rave reviews were about. I ignored it as a big mistake and tested some other fragrances.

After I selected a couple of fragrances to purchase, I decided to spray this on my wrist and lower arm before I left. I have no idea why I did that. I mean, I hated it when I smelled it out of the bottle. Well, about half way home, I wanted to turn my car around and buy a bottle of this amazing fragrance. I am still sniffing my arm. It is beautiful. It completely transformed into a must-have fragrance on me. Spicy, creamy, sexy......exactly what I like in a fragrance. I had my daughter smell it on me and she said she liked it.....she said, "It smells like when you used to leave for work in the morning when we were little...." LOL.....I am trying to remember what I was wearing at that time, but I guess this just has what I love in a fragrance.

So.......I guess the moral of the story is to definitely take your time sampling and don't judge a fragrance on first whiff. I am definitely going to order a bottle or drive back down to Scent Bar very soon and pick up a bottle of this amazing scent.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/1/2012 5:49:00 PM More reviews by windkey

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Blue

I didn't like this much on first sniff, but after that I read a lot of swooning reviews which persuaded me to try it again, in particular ones advising me that it "developed."
I should have listened to my instincts. On my skin, I get none of the exotic spices, dry desert air, or "sense of open space." It's an overwhelming, old-fashioned, old-lady amber fragrance, nothing more. And it's been following me around all day like a mad, ancient actress waggling her badly-drawn eyebrows at me. I thought I could live with it this morning, despite its utter unsuitability to my tastes or person, but at this point I despise it cordially. It has not "developed" to anything; it remains exactly the same irritating, heavy, unsubtle thing it was when I put it on.

rated 5 of 5 on 9/12/2012 9:14:00 AM More reviews by SmellyFaerie

LAir du Desert Marocain, by Andy Tauer is a love it or hate it fragrance. Literally, at least for me: the first times I tried it, I almost lost some skin on my arm trying to scrub it off (it is tenacious). Took me a while to finally understand it an appreciate it, but when that happened, I finally found out how awesome it can be.

I cant imagine a scent with a more perfect name than this. LAir du Desert Marocain means the air of the Moroccan desert and this is exactly how I imagine the place to smell like: bone dry, resinous, smoky and spicy. The notes are: coriander, petitgrain, lemon, bergamot, jasmin, labdanum, bourbon, geranium, cedarwood, vetiver, vanille, patchouli and ambergris.

On my skin, LADDM (lets call it this way from now on, or this review will be huge) starts with a blast of cumin and coriander, which is probably what put me off the first times. But it soon starts to drydown to a fantastic blend of resins and incense. The resins and incense will keep on gaining momentum until the late drydown, and what a drydown! Dont be fooled by the amber and the vanilla listed among the notes: this is not a sweet fragrance, those notes just keep it from becoming too masculine.

Talking about that, I THINK this is marketed as masculine scent, but I dont believe in genders when it comes to perfume. Still, I can get the appeal: coriander, vetiver and cedarwood are present in a lot of the so-called masculine scents, but this one could (and should) be worn by women too.

LADDM comes as Eau de Toilette Intense, but it is far more powerful than your average EDT and even than some of the EDPs currently in the market: it is a powerhouse. The projection will depend on how much you apply and the lasting power is absurd (I mentioned that before). As for its usage, Id say it is a winter/fall scent, the coriander and the cumin may be a bit too much for the summer heat, but thats just my opinion.

Finally, let me say that I am not a big fan of the bottle design, but again, I am not wearing the bottle on a chain around my neck, so who cares? The packaging itself is really nice: it comes in a pentagram shaped can, with foam inside, so the bottle stays in place, and with a hand-signed card by Andy Tauer.

11 out of 12 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 8/25/2012 2:31:00 PM More reviews by MauveRebelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

This is something special to try. Go and order a sample together with incense ros. "L'air du dsert marocain" takes you there and lifts up your mood. It's got power and it proves it ! You expected it to be an additional piece of beauty product to add to you vanity, a kind of smelling makeup or smelling jewelry, and you get something completely different. Yet you like it, it's pleasant, it won't hurt in any way! It won't bite you if you have a different opinion. And it well deserves 5 stars. Truly it's not my style and I ain't gonna wear it all the time. I am not a hippie chic and I don't have that sort of lifestyle. But "L'air du dsert marocain" feels so good to me that I gonna give it some room. It's rather unusual, balancing and pleasant, fresh and clear. It's almost an unusual way to wear perfume. I don't quite recognize any note, except amber and frankincense. It rather leaves me with an impression than with an odor. When wearing it, you'll be feeling like nothing could come and disturb you. You'll learn to smile like they do in Morocco. You'll definitely take the time to think instead of trying to concentrate on something and you will start tasting instead of eating. To wear it, you must choose your time, it must be an appropriate moment. Especially the first time. The packaging is, let's say....hippie, but not quite chic ! But you will soon forget this detail. Yes it's true there ain't much lasting power. You must know that mine just vanished almost entirely after 4 hours. I'm already missing it. Well thanks to LT for finding and sharing this great scent with us.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/28/2012 1:13:00 PM More reviews by tecumsum

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Dark, Warm Hair: Black, Kinky, Coarse Eyes: Brown

Exceptional, devine. Words simply escape me. I love, love, love this fragrance. Smells like fresh air in Morroco. Not for everyone, but I absolutely bow down to Andy Tauer. Such a gracious man too.

rated 3 of 5 on 6/12/2012 1:50:00 PM More reviews by mricci

Age: 30-35 Skin: Oily, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

probably better on a man...does nothing for me tho.