Andy Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain by Andy Tauer

4.2

I love mezymoon's review below. I want to bathe in this.

bitter orange, lemon, bergamot, jasmine, coriander; labdanum, geranium, cedarwood, vetiver, vanilla, patchouli and ambergris.

It's a perfect blend of lemony incense/labdanum/frankincense and cedar with some depth from the Jasmine, coriander, geranium (which I assume also adds to the citric quality), vanilla and Vetiver and patchouli. But no muddiness, murkiness, or weirdness. On my skin chemistry (I can handle cumin well and I get compliments when I wear Une Fleur de Cassie) there is NO curry or cola. This is not one of the wackier Andy Tauers that is an acquired taste. In fact, I agree with the reviewer below who said that she could not imagine anyone having an issue with this. (Though presumably you would have to like cedar). I feel like a rose should be listed in the accords (perhaos the geranium and citrus makes me think rose)

Other reviewers mention chocolate toned patchouli; I don't really get that here, but I have an unsubtle nose, so when I think chocolate patchouli I think Coromandel.

Citrus sometimes goes wonky, candied or furniture polish on me; not so here.

Not at all musty or old fashioned; this is clean, modern and dry without being powdery.

It's POAL without the rose and fruit. By the way, the ambergris does read as Amber to my mind, but the citric plus Amber that comes across as a vaguely gourmand Tauerade (Une Rose Chypre etc) is not present here. when I read ambergris in a list of accords, I tend to think of the Creed base note of ambergris, musk and leather -- which is a totally different treatment than here.

I usually wear light, airy, and fresh fragrances, whereas L Air du Desert Marocain is the antithesis to those. There is no other fragrance out there that is similar, it is simply unique.

This fragrance has depth and longevity, sensuous smoky woods and rich spices, and leaves you with a warm amber and vanilla base. Each of the individual notes is beautifully blended and they work wonderfully together. This is the type of fragrance that, when applied, you cannot help but keep sniffing. There are so many different elements that become apparent as time goes on, that you always get something different with each inhale.

It is unusual and intriguing, and definitely not for everyone. You will either fall in love with this or detest it immediately so I do recommend purchasing a sample first. H absolutely recoils from me when I wear it, and says it smells cheap, but he cannot stand the smell of fragrances where amber one of the notes.

I quite like this purely because it is different from the generic sweet or light floral fragrances around. I doubt I will purchase a full bottle, but I am enjoying the sample that I have.

Skin: Dry, Medium, Warm

Other reviewers have done an excellent job of describing what it smells like, so I'll just describe what it feels like. One dab is all it takes for me to sniff my wrist, close my eyes and be transported away to a magical place. It's like wearing a soft, sensual and feminine dress, such as chiffon or silk, long and flowing around me while a gentle breeze blows past as I take a lazy stroll in beautiful Morocco, or standing on a balcony underneath an Arabian sky full of stars. It's truly an enchanting perfume unlike any other. Perhaps it's best suited for a sophisticated nose, with years of experience appreciating exotic fragrances. But truly, no matter what, get a sample of this and don't judge it right away. It takes awhile to dry down and develop into sheer beauty and exquisiteness.

One Tiny Drop is enough! This is one extremely powerful perfume. Dab, do not douse... my eyes were tearing the first time I applied a few drops of my little sample. It takes about 2 hours to develop from cloying sweet (minus the powder thank goodness), to an ambery incense worthy of a goddess (or god). I think this is a truly unisex scent and I might even LOVE it on men. There is a lasting sharpness that outwits powder and keeps the perfume feeling fresh - though it does morph beautifully with (on me) just the slightest hint of tobacco (possibly sage). It's the incense of the desert air, but not as dry as a Gobin-Daude for example. The bitter orange does give it a lift into sage territory - and the patchouli keeps it earthy and moist. The amber and petitgrain I think, give it the lasting impression as the embers glow and then finally go out.

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this, it is my all time favorite fragrance. Three years ago I dropped and broke a bottle of this, and it completely broke my heart. I received a new bottle for Christmas and I am so happy to own this again. The packaging is lovely, it even came with a little card personally signed by Andy Tauer. :) This smells like campfires, incense and coca-cola to my nose. I love it on skin and fabric, it's powerful stuff, so a couple sprays and your good for at least six hours, but it'll lightly linger for up to 24 hours! The best part about this perfume is that it works in all seasons, and it's a great everyday scent. I love wearing this in hot sticky weather, this is my hot weather go-to fragrance, it makes me feel cool, fresh and clean. Even though this is not a girly, fruity-floral sexy scent- I always get compliments wearing this, especially from men. It smells great, it's unique, and it lasts a long time. If I could have only one perfume, this would be the one.

Oh baby, that's a good amber! Love the cistus/labdanum/rockrose aspect. I sense the edginess of vetiver lurking under there, and a whiff of aldehydes and citrus sometimes. But as I wear this, it blooms into a consistently lovely amber-and-incense scent. More like Southwest desert incense than church incense--a touch of sage among the light smoke. I missed this the next day after I moved on to another scent sample, and kept sniffing my sweater where I could smell the remnants of Desert Marocain on it. Both of which are very, very good signs.

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

Whenever I sniff an Andy Tauer, I am amazed at how gifted he is at transporting me to the place that inspired the scent, just through one whiff. Le Maroc pour elle takes me to Morocco (though I’ve never actually been there) just as I would imagine it to be: a rich floriental, the top notes are sweet rose and jasmine, quickly followed by a wallop of cedar. I’m in a Moorish courtyard, surrounded by flowers, but there’s a wind intruding upon my oasis, bringing dusty desert air. I also get the faintest whiff of citrus and sandalwood as the scent dries down.
This is one of those scents that I really wish came in candle form. I can’t really wear it on my skin, because it’s not exactly “me”-too much rose, and too much spicy cedar. It has a more mature feel than I prefer to wear. However, I would love to make my apartment smell like Morocco-it’s much cheaper than a plane ticket, after all!

Just visited Scent Bar today and tried this fragrance. This was one on my list of must-try. After a lot of rave reviews, I thought this would be perfect for me.

First, I smelled it on the paper tester. Ugh. Very strong, almost pine-y scent. Not pleasant. I had no idea what all the rave reviews were about. I ignored it as a big mistake and tested some other fragrances.

After I selected a couple of fragrances to purchase, I decided to spray this on my wrist and lower arm before I left. I have no idea why I did that. I mean, I hated it when I smelled it out of the bottle. Well, about half way home, I wanted to turn my car around and buy a bottle of this amazing fragrance. I am still sniffing my arm. It is beautiful. It completely transformed into a must-have fragrance on me. Spicy, creamy, sexy......exactly what I like in a fragrance. I had my daughter smell it on me and she said she liked it.....she said, "It smells like when you used to leave for work in the morning when we were little...." LOL.....I am trying to remember what I was wearing at that time, but I guess this just has what I love in a fragrance.

So.......I guess the moral of the story is to definitely take your time sampling and don't judge a fragrance on first whiff. I am definitely going to order a bottle or drive back down to Scent Bar very soon and pick up a bottle of this amazing scent.

Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm

I didn't like this much on first sniff, but after that I read a lot of swooning reviews which persuaded me to try it again, in particular ones advising me that it "developed."
I should have listened to my instincts. On my skin, I get none of the exotic spices, dry desert air, or "sense of open space." It's an overwhelming, old-fashioned, old-lady amber fragrance, nothing more. And it's been following me around all day like a mad, ancient actress waggling her badly-drawn eyebrows at me. I thought I could live with it this morning, despite its utter unsuitability to my tastes or person, but at this point I despise it cordially. It has not "developed" to anything; it remains exactly the same irritating, heavy, unsubtle thing it was when I put it on.

LAir du Desert Marocain, by Andy Tauer is a love it or hate it fragrance. Literally, at least for me: the first times I tried it, I almost lost some skin on my arm trying to scrub it off (it is tenacious). Took me a while to finally understand it an appreciate it, but when that happened, I finally found out how awesome it can be.

I cant imagine a scent with a more perfect name than this. LAir du Desert Marocain means the air of the Moroccan desert and this is exactly how I imagine the place to smell like: bone dry, resinous, smoky and spicy. The notes are: coriander, petitgrain, lemon, bergamot, jasmin, labdanum, bourbon, geranium, cedarwood, vetiver, vanille, patchouli and ambergris.

On my skin, LADDM (lets call it this way from now on, or this review will be huge) starts with a blast of cumin and coriander, which is probably what put me off the first times. But it soon starts to drydown to a fantastic blend of resins and incense. The resins and incense will keep on gaining momentum until the late drydown, and what a drydown! Dont be fooled by the amber and the vanilla listed among the notes: this is not a sweet fragrance, those notes just keep it from becoming too masculine.

Talking about that, I THINK this is marketed as masculine scent, but I dont believe in genders when it comes to perfume. Still, I can get the appeal: coriander, vetiver and cedarwood are present in a lot of the so-called masculine scents, but this one could (and should) be worn by women too.

LADDM comes as Eau de Toilette Intense, but it is far more powerful than your average EDT and even than some of the EDPs currently in the market: it is a powerhouse. The projection will depend on how much you apply and the lasting power is absurd (I mentioned that before). As for its usage, Id say it is a winter/fall scent, the coriander and the cumin may be a bit too much for the summer heat, but thats just my opinion.

Finally, let me say that I am not a big fan of the bottle design, but again, I am not wearing the bottle on a chain around my neck, so who cares? The packaging itself is really nice: it comes in a pentagram shaped can, with foam inside, so the bottle stays in place, and with a hand-signed card by Andy Tauer.

Popular Fragrances