December 21, 2014 | 1760 users online

Styling Products - Farouk CHI - Chi Silk Infusion Reconstructing Complex

rated 1 of 5 on 12/17/2014 12:36:00 AM More reviews by rocknrepublic

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I used to love this product but now I know, what I really loved was the original formula. I was not aware they had change formulas when I bought my second bottle.

What I loved about the original formula was that it added shine and made my hair feel soft and silky. Now, the current bottle I have with the changed formula, still does all those things except it does not make my hair as smooth as the original. However what I really despise about the new formula is that I've noticed after blow drying my hair with the Silk Infusion applied to damp hair, it leaves small white residue on the ends of my hair! I don't know how this is because the serum is clear?? But it makes my newly washed hair look dirty again and it especially looks bad because I have black hair so the residue really stands out and is noticeable. It's so disappointing. I never experienced this with the original formula. I don't know if I just bought a bad bottle or if it's just the new formula altogether but I'm absolutely not buying it again. I wish they kept the original formula.

I'm currently using Living Proof Satin Hair serum and it's not my HG but it does the job for now. Not a fan of the smell though.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 10/17/2014 10:23:00 AM More reviews by librarian_girl

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

I have a love/hate relationship with the Chi Silk Infusion. I adore what this product does for my hair and detest the scent. I use this on wet hair before I blow dry and on dry hair as needed before and after flat ironing. I end up with unbelievably soft, swingy hair. While my hair never stays perfectly straight no matter what I do, the Chi Silk Infusion does a noticeably better job of keeping my hair straighter than other products like it, especially in wet and/or humid weather. I also notice fewer hairs in the brush and on the floor since this provides nice slip. I do find using this on day two or three hair does weigh my hair down pretty significantly.

But I really, really dislike the fragrance, which I find powerful and long lasting. To me this smells like bad menís cologne. Every time I apply this to my hair I relive being stuck in my college dorm elevator for 10 floors with guys drenched in Polo. The scent is so strong and persistent, it might prove a deal breaker for me. If I canít find something that performs as well as Chi, Iím going to have to do some soul-searching about the scent.

rated 5 of 5 on 10/12/2014 5:54:00 PM More reviews by charmy27

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I really like this product! It makes my hair so soft and shiny .. It also really helps with the spilt ends.
I got this at shoppers drug mart .. My boyfriend paid $32 CAD which I thought was a bit much for such a small bottle. When I got home I took and shower and put this in my hair before I blow dried. I really am not too fond of the smell, it smells like old men deoderant or something. But I put it on and it immediately made my hair softer. I blow dried and straightened and my hair always looks fantastic now. It would be nice if this had a pump on the top and then it could help me from putting too much in my hands. Don't put it on dry hair or it will look disgustingly greatly. I will have this repurchased.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/7/2014 9:38:00 PM More reviews by Dreamer731

Age: 30-35 Skin: Sensitive, Dark, Warm Hair: Brown, Relaxed, Fine Eyes: Brown

I've been hearing lots of great things about this product for a few years now. I always wanted to try it, but in my opinion it was too expensive. I recently spotted the 6oz bottle of Chi Silk infusion on sale at my local supermarket so I finally decided to give it a try. I applied it to my hair proper to blow drying and it works fine at adding shine and smoothness, but I don't think it performs any better than the many drugstore hair serums that I've tried in the past. I also can't stand the smell of this stuff it smells exactly like men's cologne. Bottom line I think this product works well, but in my opinion some drugstore brands work just as well for a fraction of the price. I gave it only 3 lippies because I really don't care for the smell.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/14/2014 2:29:00 PM More reviews by innese

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Blond, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Brown

This is a must protein treatment for severely damaged or bleached hair. My hair is both and, of course, if I mistreat my hair it breaks off, it's rough and impossible to comb. This really helps restore my hair's condition, it "plumps" it and makes it manageable and shiny again, reduces signs of damage like frizz and dryness and dramatically improves it's health, almost like I never had anything done to it. It also helps protect from heat damage and makes my hair dry straighter which cuts heat exposure time. This is an incredibly effective protein treatment, though I'd like to try bio silk and joico as well because of their lower price, so I might not repurchase right away. Keep in mind that protein treatments are not moisturizing and they might even be drying so if you experience dryness make sure you also use a moisturizing product like a hair oil or lotion. I find the combination of this, hair oil and regular protein masks to be a winner routine.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/22/2014 7:32:00 PM More reviews by miaow94

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Black, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Black

hands down the best hair oil i've used!! i like to switch between different hair products but i always come back to this one. i can maintain my unruly frizzy curly/wavy hair with this product really well. It helps fight humidity so my hair remains frizz free during the day. I've used other hair oils before from garner, those are nice too they keep your hair smooth and silky looking but the effect doesn't last long compare to chi. however, i would avoid putting this product anywhere near your scalp because that could easily lead to grease strands and i'm sure no one wants that! so only apply on the midway and ends of your hair and style away. it will leave you with silky long lasting frizz free hair! the smell is slightly like cologne but it fades away in a bit so that's not biggie:) took 1 lippie off because the mouth of the squeeze bottle could get a bit messy.

rated 5 of 5 on 5/27/2014 8:41:00 PM More reviews by JCS772

Love this stuff. Love the way it smells, love its slip and love the way it makes my thick, wavy and frizz-prone hair so silky. I use it on damp hair and with a little blow-drying, it works great for smoothing. Alternately, if I pull it back in a chignon and let it dry naturally, it unfurls as beach waves.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 5/25/2014 12:13:00 AM More reviews by Jaynne

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Based on the other posts, I have the so-called original version - the amber coloured product in the gold-tinged bottle. However, the hype escapes me unfortunately. I got the large (12 oz) bottle a few years ago at Winner's and paid about half price back then (saw it today in Chatters for $46). I've got lots of other hair oil and silk reconstructors and the Chi one doesn't particularly stand out, however it's lasted a long long time. I've used it up because I love the smell, the texture, and it hasn't be troublesome, however I keep waiting for it to make me notice a difference between when I do and don't use it. Not waiting any longer, tossing out the rest - it's just been kind of a "meh" for me. P.S. any one else think it's funny that Silk Infusion sounds like So Confusion?

rated 5 of 5 on 4/4/2014 6:37:00 PM More reviews by shmeow

Let me start with saying that the fantastic rating is for Chi's OLD formula of Chi Silk Infusion (the amber colored serum.) The new formulation hasn't done any harm to my hair, but it just doesn't work the wonders that the original does. I'm so dedicated to the old formula that I stock up when I find it. Here's a great tip if you want to know whether you are buying/have bought the old or new formula: the old formula's bottle is slightly goldish tinged (you can tell because the bottom of the bottle should be silver) and it will have a shorter serial number (printed on the bottom of the bottle.) The newer version comes in a more silvery bottle (no yellowish tinge!) and has a longer serial number. I often find both new and old formulas in the same store, you just have to go through the bottles on the shelf if you want a specific formula. This is also useful if you are buying online from a retailer that offers returns (hopefully free.) You can check the color of the bottle and the serial number before breaking the seal! I hope this helps anyone looking for answers about the old and new formulas :)

6 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/25/2014 3:21:00 PM More reviews by graceybaby8

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This made my hair look amazing at first when I applied a little it to the ends of my hair. But for some reason it slowly made my hair greasier and greasier as the day went. It's very expensive for a 30ml bottle here in Canada - about 15$ for a tiny bottle.