Polysporin

4.5

Active Ingredients: Each grams contains: Bacitracin Zinc (500 units), Polymyxin B Sulfate (10,000 units). Inactive Ingredients: White Petrolatum Base.

I use the original cream formula, that comes in the yellow and blue tube. I am pretty sure I have been using it for more then two years, and have probably gone through more then 4 tubes. I use to be horrible with picking my skin, and this would help me tremendously, taking away some redness, lessening inflammation, speeding up the healing process, but now I have gotten better with picking my skin. Even though I barely pick at my skin anymore when I scratch at a blemish I instantly apply this after I put my Mario Badescu buffing lotion. I put the cream on white heads, dried out patches on my skin, picked at skin, the area of skin around my eyebrows after I just cleaned up my eyebrows, inflamed pimples, pimples that I put to much acne treatment on, etc. I basically use it religiously paired with my Mario Badescu buffing lotion. I am only a teenager yes, and I get my hormonal acne, but I found that a combination of using those two products over a long period of time, along with a decrease of picking my skin has helped my skin clear up tremendously. I recommend using the cream formula, over the oil formula.

on 4/14/2014 8:30:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool

I use the Walmart knockoff version of this.

I was worried about the mineral oil/petrolatum because it has pore clogging potential, but when I put this on a zit I'd popped (I know, I know) overnight, in the morning the swelling, redness, and pain were way down. I can tell it even started to heal the little hole in the skin and am hoping it will prevent it from scarring too badly.

I have a new, cheap zit management method since I've resigned to the fact that no product, $4 or $94, is going to stop my hormones from blessing me with the occasional mean cystic zit (I know because I've tried everything. Everything. And guess what? It's all a giant coincidence...I get huge zits a week before that time of the month hits, and it doesn't matter what I've been putting on my face.)

So, my new zit management program (which I partially stole from Allie on XO Vain) is: early stage zits get benzoyl peroxide. For a day or two. Then a drying mask as spot treatment...Maybe the mask alone, maybe bp mixed with a sulfur/zinc/clay drying product (Queen Helene Mint Julep mask works great and has all three), and then left on overnight. Then as it starts to heal, I switch to this stuff (Antibacterial ointment). It provides much needed moisture and healing and continues to keep the bacteria from making it an inflamed, red, ugly mess. I have been using this method this week on three cystic zits in various stages of disarray on my face, and they're all drying up and healing up. It's not magical or overnight, but in think it's better than any expensive product I've tried. Old school works.

on 1/26/2014 5:13:00 PM

Polysporin is great to use on acne that you think may scar. What I like to do is apply a little dollop of polysporin onto the zit and then put a small circular bandaid over it. This way, I can sleep without the polysporin getting all over my bedding and moving around on my face. Polysporin tends to run, so the bandaid keeps it from sliding down your face. I don't suggest using polysporin on every zit you have, just the ones that are deep and prone to scarring. It's also good to use when you have a very dry patch of skin that needs some extra hydration.

on 10/15/2013 2:21:00 PM

We keep a couple tubes around for general first aid, but recently I've had some odd under the skin bumps that weren't going away. They weren't cysts, and none of my usual acne treatments were making a dent in them. After a couple nights of smearing some of this on them before bed, they've dried up into nothing. Amazing! Hopefully this'll work on the more usual type of zits I get, as well.

I'll be quite frank...I've also found this useful during a horrible yeast infection. A little of this on the irritated outer skin (which usually gets further irritated by the yeast infection cream) is super soothing and didn't cause any adverse effects. As always, ymmv!

Skin: Normal, Fair, Neutral

One word, AMAZING. After I've popped a pimple I always apply Polysporin and it reduces the redness and dry skin that I would otherwise have if I did not apply this.

Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Not Sure

Polysporin for acne? Yes of course! I love this for pimples.. However I wouldn't over use to all the time, I do use benzoyl peroxide with a bit of which hazel in it which works very well too.. The benzoyl peroxide tends to dry your pimples out so I then use polysporin on it after I use it for the first day or two. Something that works very well too if you have a breakout is put a hot tea bag of chamomile or green tea on your breakout for 10 mins twice a day and then apply polysporin. Works every time! Everyone's skin is different though. Another thing, I am on a dairy free diet, I substitute milk for rice milk or almond milk which is very yummy and makes a huge difference avoiding dairy products as well as a lot of sugar!

Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Neutral

I was really hoping that I would love this product, as many of the other reviewers had. I was intending to use polysporin on my acne, in hopes that it would reduce redness and size..... Well it didn't. Lol. I applied polysporin, twice. Woke up, and I had three rashes on my face. I didn't
think I would be allergic to polysporin, but apparently 1% of people who use it are allergic, lucky me! So to help anyone else out who may come across the same issue, I will let you know what I first tried to heal the rash (that didn't work,) and what actually did work. So naturally I kind of freaked out, I knew my rash wasn't SEVERE to the point I needed to see a doctor (like every site said to do,) so I tried fixing it myself. At first I tried using witch hazel, that did literally nothing. I then tried calamine lotion, nothing. Locally grown Honey, nothing. My cure all happened to be....... HYDROGEN PEROXIDE!!!! I had a genius idea to take a cotton ball, pour HP on it and dab it onto the rashes, and I did not place any moisturizer (lotions could cause further irritation,) over them. My rashes healed so fast!! I am steal healing but the eases are virtually invisible. HP cleared them up and reduced redness and size right away. I used regular 3% hydrogen peroxide and I didn't dilute it. It dried up the rash, and helped kill any bacteria. I don't think polysporin sucks... For me it does, only because I am clearly allergic. But if anyone else experiences issues try the HP.

on 6/30/2013 10:44:00 PM

ive already gone through...3 tubes? love it for acne
love it for cuts

exp for acne though...i put it on hormonal acne and it helps a loot with its life cycle :)

on 7/20/2012 6:03:00 PM

Not surprising that this would help with drying out blemishes, considering it's an antibiotic ointment and blemishes are tiny infections, so.....good to know.

on 7/20/2012 4:02:00 PM

I have got to say that this stuff is amazing! I had a horrible zit on my lip that was making me feel self consious. I put on a little bit before going to bed and when I woke up it looked way better!! It had minimized it in size and it seemed like it was on its way to healing. This helps to heal those stubborn pimples that no matter what you do won't go away. Plus it is very cheap!

Popular Treatments (Face)