December 18, 2014 | 1677 users online

Makeup Brushes - Smashbox - The Roxy Theatre Deluxe Brush Roll

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 3/29/2009 2:53:00 AM More reviews by ohtwicemyburn

Age: 19-24 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I bought this for half price a while back, and have ended up swapping away most of the brushes. That said, the actual brush roll has served me well. I just invested in MAC's brush roll because my brush collection has far exceed what Roxy would allow, but I will not abandon her. She'll be great for travel, definitely, when I don't feel like taking 15 brushes on the road with me. The brushes that were included were beautiful and high quality, they just didn't always suit my particular needs, hence why I gave some away to better homes. Overall, if you can still get your hands on this, it's a great buy and a worthy investment.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/16/2007 7:52:00 PM More reviews by may_baby

I got this set from the Smashbox Curtain Call sale a few months ago. It was so worth it!!! Actually it's quite a deal. 6 brushes in a roll. I don't use the brushes much cuz its all white with pearly white handles and white bristles. I'm just afraid to dirty up the white bristles. LOL They're just so pretty! It's sold out now on Smashbox site but I'm sure you can find it on ebay for about the same price as it was on sale.

The only brushes I've used from the set is the powder one and the foundation one. I used the foundation brush with my tinted moisturizer during cooler months. I don't really use any foundation. But during warmer months I just use SPF moisturizer and powder cuz I don't want my makeup to be a mess all over my face when I sweat. Anyways, the brush works fine with my Laura Mercier tinted moisturizer. And the powder brush is so soft and fluffy. I love it! I thought about getting another set but that'd just be plain greedy. ahha!

rated 5 of 5 on 3/9/2007 4:25:00 AM More reviews by princesnessa

i found this on the smashbox website for $40!!! i saw it over the fall and remembered it was too much money and when i went to the curtain call part of their site just a week ago i instantly bought it. monday afternoon it came and i was so excited i tore the package apart. i took the powder brush and started brushing my face, it was sooo soft! i love the white hair and the opal-esant white handle. all the brushes are full size, an amazing deal for 5 brushes! if they have any left buy one. smashbox brushes are the best.

rated 5 of 5 on 4/29/2006 7:33:00 PM More reviews by drusilladru

Age: 36-43 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Oh my! What a deal. I got this off ebay brand new for half the retail price. Brushes are very nice quality. Ones that have natural bristles are very soft and densely packed. Absolutely love the #1 powder brush and #3 blending brush. Smashbox makes my favorite lip brush as it is retractable. This set includes one so I now have two. The shimmery white handles (silver for the lip brush) are super pretty. To top it off it comes with a matching brush roll that has pockets for each of the brushes with a plastic "dust shield" to keep color from transferring all over inside of roll. Other side has a zip compartment large enough to hold a few eyeshadows, blushes or powders. I need more brushes like I need a hole in the head, but I'm not unhappy that I bought this.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/12/2006 4:09:00 AM More reviews by aldea

buying this brush roll has been THE best cosmetic-related purchase i've made in the last year. the brushes are top quality (except probably the foundation brush - it's usable, i actually use it to apply moisturizer or other face treatments, bc there are better foundation brushes out there) and simply gorgeous! the white goat hairs/synthetic fibers on white frosted handles are so pretty to look at. the $80 suggested retail price was a bit too high for my taste but i found a good deal on ebay for a little less than $50 for a BN set. i'd pay a hefty amount just for the brush roll itself bc it's sooo attractive plus soo conventional. it fits and protects each brush perfectly and the extra pocket is great for any other brushes/make up. very travel friendly. the only other negative for me is that the #3 blending brush sheds pretty regularly so i don't use it as much. maybe i just got a defective one but either way, it's not a deal-breaker for me bc i use my MAC brushes for e/s application anyway.

rated 5 of 5 on 12/4/2005 4:33:00 AM More reviews by aznsmurfy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Other, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Other

***RAVE RAVE RAVE***HUGE RAVE***
Ok, no more screaming. I cannot believe how lucky I am to have stumbled upon this! I usually use MAC brushes and I like my collection to be all uniform in color so I was kind of hesitant to get it. But man, you cannot believe how good this is. Confession, I got the MAC Hoiday 2005 brush sets and had to return them because they were just terrible, but these, are AMAZING. And I think they are totally full-sized. Did I mention they are white? How gorgeous is that?! They are stunning to look at (probably not after they're used) but just so so pretty.

Powder Brush #1 A big fluffy cloud of white hairs that deposit powder cleanly and evenly. I like how the brush is dense enough to pick up enough product, but not a lot a lot, but fluffy and airy enough to deposit it cleanly onto my face. No splotchies! I compared this with the red handled regular one at the store and they are about the same, very close in quality, but the red one might be a *hair* denser than the white one, but I kind of like my brushes a little fluffier, if I wanted dense, I'd use my kabuki. :)
Blending Brush #3 To be honest, I wasn't sure about this one. Almond shaped? I'm Asian with almond shaped eyes, but the brush looked huge. To be complete surprise (and my sister's) the brush works better than any other brush I have in my collection. I know, I am sad too. I have almost every MAC e/s brush but this one blows *almost* all of out of the water. Sad again. But HAPPY! Because I can apply all parts of my eyeshadows (wash, lid, crease, outer "v") with this one brush. I use it flat for a wash, use one of the almond "sides" for the lid color, the other side for the crease and the tip of the almond to define the crease and the outer "v". *sigh* Makeup bliss.
Eyeliner Brush #8 I had raved about it already so it is a copy and paste with slight editing. :) Holaaaaaayy I cannot believe how good this brush is. I'm not a brush snob, but I mostly have MAC/UD brushes. I've always used the 209, 266, or 236 for all my Fluidline needs. But today I picked up the Roxy Theatre set (WHITE (pretty!!) brushes with teh #8 fine liner and.. ..I. AM. SOLD. I cannot believe I haven't been using this brush the whole time with my fluidlines!!!!! The brush is stiff at the base so it doesn't wobble around too much but it's flimsy enough at the tips to make a gorgeous cat eye AND and superfine line. It's just wonderful. I like how small it is and how easily it picks up the color AND the best part, there is so little waste. With the MAC brushes, they were denser and bigger so they picked up more color into the brushes and caused more waste (also a hassle to wash out). But it does look flimsy and crappy hehe works like a charm tho ;)
Foundation Brush #13Eh, heh heh this is the black sheep of the family. It's pretty weaksauce and I'm kinda disappointed. But only kind of! Just a little. :) I knew it wasn't like the regular foundation brush in the permanent lineup, and I had tested it out beforehand at the store with foundation so I knew that it wasn't the best before I bought it. The bristles are about half the "fatness" of a normal foundation brush (any, MAC, Smashbox, Px). Because of the thiness, it can make foundation go on kind of streaky, but but but because it's thinner and smaller, it might be good for applying sunscreens or tinted moisturizers. :) I tried it against my MAC foundation and although the MAC wins out by a comfortable margin, this brush it not bad because it's a bit shorter so I can lean in close and fix the minor streaks. With the MAC, when I lean in, I hit mirror. hehe
Retractable Lipliner Brush #18Wonderful!! This is the 1st lipliner brush that I have ever seen that is thin and pointy! I have tried Urban Decay's covered lipbrush and wonderbrush, MAC lipbrushes (all), Gurelian, Awake, Stila, Clinique, Hard Candy, Sephora, etc, you get the idea that I've tried a lot of lipbrushes, but this one is one that actually stands out! I've had one where the bristles are as fat as eyeshadow brushes! Anyway, I like how it has a cap and pushes up. The fine point allows color to be deposited precisely where you want it, but drawback to a fine (pretty stiff, not totally stiff, but pretty stuff) point is that it can eat up your lipsticks a little. I use it for tinted lip conditioners, so it's ok. :) A little to stiff to me, but I still like it better than my other lipbrushes. :)
Double Ended Smudger Brush #20 A 2-in-1 brush? Wow, what a deal! haha I luv the little brush end because it's cute and because it makes a killer smoky eye. A bit of a pun because the bristles are kind of hard so smudging really hard would be a bad idea, but it's dense enough that you don't need to smudge long to get a great effect. The sponge side is a little stiff and a smidge long. I'm afraid if I go at it too hard or push too hard when I'm cleaning it it'll break clean off. But it's small and tiny to get close to the eye for a sweet precision I can't get from the end of my Clinique quickliner eyeliner or a q-tip. Not quite sure how to clean the sponge end tho ;)

If anyone actually read through all this, you deserve a cookie. hehe :) Hope it helps, e-mail me if you want me to rave more. *laughs* I was crazy enough to go look for another one on eBay! I found one for like, 67 bucks, but I think that was just the greed/insanity kicking in. :) One is more than enough :) continued >>

7 out of 7 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No