December 18, 2014 | 1698 users online

Treatments (Face) - Paula's Choice - Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Gel Exfoliant

rated 5 of 5 on 12/16/2014 10:19:00 AM More reviews by eksims

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Curly, Fine Eyes: Green

Game changer! This in conjunction with PC 8% AHA gel has changed my skin. I'm 24, suffer from normal great skin in the tzone, but dry skin with acne on the jaw, neck, and temples. I use this under my moisturizer during the day and I use it as a spot treatment at night with the AHA gel on the entire face. Packaging is fantastic. It's an airtight pump in opaque packaging. 3.7 oz is a great value IMO for something that works! I thought the gel might dry me out but it's done the exact opposite. My skin is seriously glowing and acne/closed comedones have been reduced by 80%. I don't have dryness or flakes any more but I suspect the AHA is helping that, but my point is that using these together has done a world of good! I have never had any irritation with this product and I am able to use this on my entire face and neck, which I feel has done a fantastic job at preventing new acne. Don't pass this up!

rated 5 of 5 on 12/3/2014 1:23:00 AM More reviews by Kimboxx

Seriously guys, if you have oily acne prone skin, this is your solution! I bought this after reading several reviews online and I haven't regret it since. I've been using this for about two months and I can't believe what this has done for my skin. I have been struggling with cystic acne for about 6 years now, it comes and goes, but since I have been using this my skin has improved so much. I can't believe this, my skin is pretty much clear now and I am so happy! So if you're struggling with acne, give it a shot! This is a miracle worker!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/19/2014 8:58:00 AM More reviews by ellie179

Age: 30-35 Skin: Normal, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Previously I used the lotion and I didn't quite like the texture. It was thick, and left a whitish cast like sunscreen and sometimes when I rubbed it in it would flake off. However, the blackheads around my nose disappeared. After years of trying different methods and products, finally something that worked! I decided to opt for the gel this time around and it's much more to my liking, even though it's marketed for combination/oily skin (my skin is normal to dry). It's a slightly runny transparent gel that spreads easily and absorbs quickly so there's no real need to wait in between products, and no problems with skincare balling up. I follow up with a serum that contains retinol (Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Antioxidant with Retinol) and moisturizer and have not experienced any irritation or dryness. In the mornings I switch to an AHA exfoliant. My skin has never been better since I started including AHA/BHA exfoliants into my skincare routine. That so far, has been the game changer for me.

The plastic packaging and pump dispenser makes it easy to travel and the price is definitely good value. The only downside for me is that it's not available in Malaysia.

rated 3 of 5 on 8/16/2014 3:23:00 PM More reviews by Eire1

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

I HAD A SAMPLE.
This states that it is for all skin types, yet due to its gel like texture I would recommend it to oily and acne prone skin types. This did not irritate my skin but if you find it irritating there is a 1% BHA gel as an alternative to this. This was disappointing for me because even though it was the right pH , and there was enough BHA it did not impact my acne whatsoever.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/21/2014 3:29:00 PM More reviews by looopy

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

This stuff makes me cry tears of joy!

Honestly, I've got terrible skin. It's been acne-fied since I was 11. I'm 23 now. I can definitely tell when I haven't used this stuff because I get little whiteheads all over the place. It even prevents and reduces the angry pustules my body lovingly decides to develop.

I like this product because it doesn't have a strong smell, or feel weird on my skin. It makes my skin radiant and it doesn't dry me out much.

Thanks Paula, whoever and wherever you are!

rated 5 of 5 on 5/28/2014 2:57:00 PM More reviews by Neen2131

This product has been an absolute life saver for me.

I have never had perfect skin, but also, until recently my skin has never been awful (odd spots on my chin, especially around that time of the month) but then, about 6 months ago i got the worst break outs I have ever had all over the sides of my neck and jawline - and i had never had spots on my neck before. I do not know what caused this, i am 28 so long past puberty. My skin is not particularly greasy, but I had large patches of cystic acne all over either side of my neck, and up to my ear lobes.

I have spent a lot of time stressing about the spots and a lot of money trying to fix them. I can say that the avene tri-acneal range (cleanance get and the exfoliant gel) have done nothing for me, i actually think the cleanance gel was too drying and made it worse. Likewise Dr Brandt vacuum gel did not help (although that is specifically aimed at blackheads which was not my problem) and Proactive night cream also did not help.

I started to religiously double cleanse every evening with a balm cleanser and cloth (aromatherapy associates) and then a gentle gel wash (eucerin anti-redness) - this made it better but did not fully get rid of the spots - although I have to say that a proper cleansing routine has made the rest of my face much brighter and more glowy and has got rid of the blackheads on my nose. I highly recommend caroline hirons for her tips on how to cleanse.

But it is only since i started using the paula's choice 2% 2 months ago that i have had a noticeable improvement in the spots. I apply it at night only and after cleansing, and i find it works best if you spend a few moments really rubbing it into your problem areas. i then apply a light night cream. Now my spots have pretty much gone, there is still a bit of redness left over, but that is fading.
I tried wearing it during the day as well under an spf moisturiser but it made the skin around my mouth a bit red and slightly flakey, so i have found just wearing it at night works best.

i can't recommend this highly enough, it is not cheap but it is definitely worth it (unlike a lot of the other more expensive products i have tried which do not work)

rated 5 of 5 on 3/10/2014 7:47:00 PM More reviews by m331

Age: 25-29 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

I am on my second bottle of this. It really works. I still have blackheads, but they've gotten better, and I've found I'm significantly less oily. The gel formula makes skin feel comfortable. I'm tempted to try the liquid formula because of all the raves, but I'm pretty attached to this one.

FYI - I have very sensitive combination skin. I don't apply this where my skin is driest (on the apples of my cheeks or under my nose) because my skin gets flakey there if I do. On the oilier spots I can use it twice a day, no problem. Order samples if you're unsure! Well-formulated active ingredients like this BHA will definitely change your skin, for better or for worse.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/20/2014 10:05:00 AM More reviews by Simonjw

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

This is my second bottle and since them the number of blackheads on my nose and whiteheads on my chin have been reduced so much! There not 100% gone and I don't think they ever will but this has made such a difference its a great product and for 23 you can't not give it a go. It also reduces redness and one bottle lasts me just under a year and I use it twice a day over my entire face. Just be patient with it as it does take a while to see improvements.

rated 5 of 5 on 2/6/2014 2:40:00 PM More reviews by FloraC

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

The 2% liquid broke me out like crazy. At first I thought it was purging but after a few months decided to take a break. Then I remembered I had a sample of the 2% gel and decided to try it. Fantastic results. Smoothed my skin out and calmed it down significantly. I still get hormonal acne but this really helps to get rid of it and to keep the small bumps under control. I only use it at night as it takes awhile for it to dry/become less tacky. Definitely worth a try if the liquid doesn't work for you.

rated 3 of 5 on 1/13/2014 7:06:00 AM More reviews by geeemm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

I was surprised and a little disappointed to find how this 2% formula seemed so different to my beloved 1% BHA Gel! Everything about the 1% version suited my skin, although I hoped I could try a higher strength for the more stubborn blackheads I still get. It therefore made sense to step up to the 2% Gel next.

The first thing I noticed was that this is more of a true gel than the lower concentration, which is a runnier consistency. What I've found, however, is that it's incredibly sticky on application - unpleasantly so! It feels rather occlusive once it's on and takes a while to comfortably sink into my skin. I've ended up unable to use this in the daytime because I simply don't have the time or patience to wait long enough to apply moisturiser and sunscreen on top of this sticky base, so I've been carrying on with the 1% in the day and using 2% at night.

As for the efficacy of this product - I'm not sure it's having much greater an effect than the 1% formula on me. It does manage to smooth out my skin overnight, but my main concern is reducing any blotchy erythema I'm experiencing from rosacea. It's a little inconsistent in calming this concern - maybe I'm not as tolerant of the higher amount as I hoped. I think the next step is to try one of the liquid formulas to see if it's a better fit, but for now I don't think I'll be buying this gel again.