July 29, 2014 | 1064 users online

Skincare - Face - Duac Topical Gel

rated 1 of 5 on 5/20/2014 11:58:00 AM More reviews by blondemoment983

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I turned 30 in September. Around the summmer last year before my 30th my skin started breaking out. I have been on the pill since I was 18. My gyno changed my pill three times in hopes of clearing up my skin - nothing worked. I decied to go off the pill in hope my skin would clear up. It did not. I went to see a dermatolgoist and she prescribed me Duac. I am on my 6th week of Duac and there is no improvement. My forehead did get incredibly worse the first few weeks as well as around my chin, now I have really small pimples on my forehead, temples, upper cheeks, hairline, chin and jaw. Pretty much it's everywhere. Some are red and some are skin color. I had called my derm a few weeks to tell her my skin was breaking out worse and she told me to stay on it until my 2 month appointment. I have two more weeks until my appointment. I really do not want to go on an acne medication. I am hoping she has another topical for me to try. Acne at this age is really depressing. I'm trying very hard to not let it get me down. I would love to wake up tomorrow morning, look in the mirror and see my clear beautiful skin is back!

rated 1 of 5 on 3/10/2014 5:22:00 PM More reviews by Charblue72

I have never had acne before, I'm 23 and randomly my skin went from perfectly clear to absolutely awful in about 3 weeks. Its really really bad on both sides of my cheeks and a little on my forehead. I got prescribed this cream by a doctor and Iv'e been using it 5 weeks and it got a little bit better for a few days then went straight back to being bad. It also itched like HELL. Now my face is super red and my spots are so bad again and I don't know what to do. I'm so so so scared it's going to scar now because it's been so long now. I followed the instructions perfectly, put it on religiously every night and I don't know why it's got such great reviews yet for me it's been a waste of 5 weeks. It's really starting to get me down now it's so noticeable.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/22/2014 11:53:00 PM More reviews by blatantdream

Age: 30-35 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Warm Hair: Black, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

This stuff works wonders for my crazy acne prone skin. While on this product it keeps the oil under control and my face doesn't look like a slick mess at the end of the day. I couldn't begin to tell you how long I have been suffering from acne. I remember it started in the 4th grade with minor break outs and just never went away. I'm now in my early 30s and I finally have it under control! The only problem is if I stop using this product for long periods of time the acne does return, though it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be. I have tried loads of other acne medications without success until this and my doctor doesn't want to switch me to something else since this is working. I'm hopeful someday I won't need anything to control my acne and it will just go away.

However since I am using it and I have been using it for almost a year I will say in the beginning my skin was very dry and flaky from this. I was actually then prescribed retin-a micro after bringing this up on a follow up doctors appointment. From the beginning I noticed nothing happening. So if you're new to using this I say give it a bit of time. I didn't notice any changed till about 2.. almost 3 months into using this. For the longest time I just noticed severe drying of my skin and thought is this really worth it? I have to say the wait was worth it. My skin doesn't dry out anymore even though I use this product twice a day with a benzoyl peroxide cleanser. Currently If I am on track with my routine and use this twice a day, there is nothing I can put on my face to cause a break out. I love it! I don't even get hormonal break outs anymore.. most of the time. I think every 3-4 months I might get one on my chin or temple and it goes away completely within 5-6 days.

rated 3 of 5 on 12/20/2013 3:06:00 AM More reviews by Jameswa

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I was prescribed Duac about 6 months ago to treat my moderate-severe acne. It is not a godsend, and no it did not clear my acne. It does fight pimples and prevents new ones from forming, but it is definitely not a cure or a solution for me. I still have acne, and new pimples still form most days. Also, benzoyl peroxide generates free radicals and slows the healing process, meaning hyper-pigmentation stays a lot longer than it should.

Fortunately this product did not burn or irritate my skin unlike other BP products (I'm looking at you Epiduo).

If you have mild acne, then this is probably a good product for you, however if it is moderate to severe, then I would skip this and move onto something else.

I am about to start Retin-A Micro, and I hope it is more effective than Duac for me,

rated 5 of 5 on 11/23/2013 2:16:00 PM More reviews by Kels470

Age: 19-24 Skin: Oily, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Black, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

I have been suffering from mild acne for the past 12 months and have tried various different products which have all failed. I have very oily skin and decided to go to my docs to seek help. She prescribed me with duac once daily and also an oral antibiotic. I have to say this gel has been a god send, my acne cleared up within 3 weeks and I have had no new spots even around that time of the month when I always get red angry spots on my chin. All I am left with is old dark spots from where I use to pick my pimples and even they are rapidly fading. I have since stopped the antibiotic and only use the cream at night and will continue to use this for as long as it works! Anyone thinking of trying it I strongly suggest you give it a go, it truly worked wonders for me :)

rated 4 of 5 on 11/19/2013 8:09:00 AM More reviews by DJ89

After battling hormonal acne for the last 2 years and trying to treat it myself, I finally gave in and went to my gp who prescribed me duac. Now I've had this prescribed to me before in my teens when I had back acne and it did absolutely nothing so I wasn't so hopeful but after reading all the positive reviews here I decided to give it a try. My skin at the time of starting duac was moderate-severe and especially focused on my chin, jawline and cheek area. It took around 2 and a half weeks for the duac to take me from moderate to mild acne and I was really happy especially my chin which went from having 10+ pimples including painful ones to having like 1 or 2 minor spots. BUT the duac dried my skin out like a mother and even though the burning and itching stopped after a week or so, the dryness just continued and my skin started to look so old and wrinkly especially my neck area no matter how much I moisturised! Although duac helped me alot, I found it didn't completely prevent future pimples because I still get atleast 2 or 3 minor spots on my face and I just got to a point where the dryness was not worth it anymore. So now I've stopped using it after 5 weeks of using it every night but you give credit where it's due and this definitely helped clear my skin to about 90% clear. Now I'm just fixing up my diet a bit more drinking more water etc to get rid of the mild acne I have and apart from my marks left behind from the acne, I'm pretty happy with my skin. Give me mild acne any day over moderate-severe! So if ur looking for a more quick fix solution then defo give this a try but it's absolutely not something for long term use in my opinion especially with such a high concentration of BP (5%). If u wanna get rid of ur acne, balance out ur hormones, drink more water, exercise, de-stress and eat better instead of relying on harsh products! I'm gona take my own advice :) and oh yh, I got this free from my gp as they're free in the uk with the nhs so bonus points!

rated 4 of 5 on 11/17/2013 5:33:00 AM More reviews by dclaw2007

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I'm in my late 20's with a dry complexion and have suffered from mild to moderate acne (non cystic) for the last 12 months after having almost never having a break out in my life. I also wear heavy make-up daily. My acne consisted of many condones or hardened sebum plugs deep within the skin that left my skin with flesh coloured bumps on my cheeks, chin, jaw line and occasionally on my forehead.

After trying many high end products through beauty therapists, having treatments like facials and SGA, I really wasn't seeing any amazing results. I tried a variety of products including SKII, Paula's Choice, Medik8, Clinique, Priori etc. some products with concentrated glycolic, salycilic acid, hyalorinc acid, vitamin c - all high end products. I probably saw the best results with Priori and simplifying my regimen with just the cleanser and barrier complex, then exfoliating once or twice a week, but it still hadn't completely kicked my acne.

Being fed up and embarrassed of my skin, I decided to take myself to my GP who subsequently handed me a script for Duac. My expectations were rather low as I assumed this was a product for people with more cystic type acne and oily skin, however, feeling desperate, I had the script filled and also picked up a bottle of the Swisse Hair, Skin and Nails tablets. I was also a little frightened as my GP had warned me that Duac would make my skin super dry and since I already suffer from dry skin, I was worried that perhaps it would make my skin worse causing it to over stimulate my oil glands and trigger more acne - so I also looked for a super dooper moisturise to use in conjunction with my Duac.. after studying a few bottles I bought a tube of Natio Intensive Moisturising Night Cream.

By day 2-3 I felt like there was a noticeable difference with my skin, which just felt smoother and my make-up just seemed to look more flawless on my face. After I apply Duac and it dries (I allow it to try before I apply my moisturiser), it does leave my skin feeling dry and tight - however once I apply my Natio moisturiser, my skin feels great. I actually have found that the combination of the two have worked perfectly on my skin. Granted it has only been 8 days, but my skin is much clearer since when I started using this product. I still have a few condones, but I am noticing a difference and I am rather pleased about the progress. I have had no excessive break-out or skin purge - it's just getting better so far.

Now my regime is;
Priori Cleanser in the morning
with Priori Barrier Complex
(Unless I'm at home for the day and am not wearing make-up, I'll then apply my Duac and Natio in the morning aswell)

Make-up remover wipes
Douple cleanse with Priori Cleanser and second cleanse I'll use a buff puff
Apply Duac leaving to dry for 10 mins
Finishing with Natio Intensive Moisturising Cream

My Dr told me not to use any other products like gycolic or salycilic acid etc - so I haven't. The only extra thing I have done is used my St Ives Apricot Scrub dry once in the last week before I applied my Duac in the evening.

Over all fairly impressed with it, but the real test will be time and how my skin reacts when I stop using it.

rated 1 of 5 on 8/31/2013 10:51:00 AM More reviews by geeemm

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Hazel

Perhaps it's unfair for me to write a review of this treatment as it's likely I was misdiagnosed and should never have been using this, but I feel it's important to warn those with sensitive skin to be very wary of Duac before trying it.

I got this on prescription after visiting a GP with persistent facial redness and spots. Without a second glance it was concluded to be an acne flare-up and that this gel should do the trick. Although it seemed to be far more stubborn and aggressive than regular acne I didn't really question this judgement seeing as I've struggled with mild acne on-and-off for the past 10 years. To begin with, I used the gel every other night so I could ease into it. I expected to become drier and perhaps peel slightly as I had done with antibiotics years previously, but I wasn't prepared for what I actually experienced: burning sensations! I would start off with an uncomfortable stinging about 30 seconds after just a meagre application. It would gradually intensify for the next 15 minutes before eventually dying down. At this point, I assumed that this was just part of the treatment and my skin would get better if I persevered.

I lasted the best part of two weeks before giving up. At the end of this period my skin was much worse; the redness had intensified and the spots had become more enflamed and frequent in their appearance. Furthermore, my skin had become extremely dry and cracked; the complete opposite of its usual oily self. It wasn't until I'd really done my research on skincare that I realise this probably wasn't the right treatment for me at all. Benzoyl Peroxide is pretty strong stuff, and anyone with reddened, sensitive skin, rosacea or eczema should avoid it like the plague! This is more of a warning to really look into the condition of your skin, not just assume you fall under the umbrella-term of "acne sufferer". At the time of writing, I'm waiting for a dermatologist appointment to hopefully diagnose my skin's condition, but I feel certain that I actually have rosacea. This was definitely not the right treatment to prescribe to rosacea skin! It took a good couple of months to revert my skin to the condition it was before starting the gel.

As a side note, I didn't even find this did much for the "proper" acne I occasionally get on my shoulders and back. It didn't speed the healing time, I'd still get the same amount of new blemishes appearing, and I'd be left with faded marks afterwards. So I can't even say it helped for the cause it's aimed at! Instead, I've had much greater results with salicylic acid, which is also more tolerable and calming in nature. I'd much sooner recommend that approach than benzoyl peroxide for acne.

rated 5 of 5 on 7/29/2013 6:12:00 PM More reviews by Katch98

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

I have suffered with acne for 5 years now and struggled to find something that would treat it, but without reacting with my skin as it is so sensitive to chemical ingredients. Clearasil, neutrogena, Liz Earle are just a few brands I tried and spent hundreds of pound on. This product has been a LIFE SAVER for me. I put this on my face every other night sometimes with simple moisturiser so it doesn't dry out my skin (when I had to put loads on) and it reduced a lot of my pimples to almost nothing overnight. I started using this in January when my face was plagued with spots (particularly my forehead) and now I still get a few pimples and occasionally a massive one, but never on my forehead. This has also stopped me stressing about my skin, which helps a lot too. If you live in the UK, get it prescribed by your doctor, I get it free because I'm under 18 but I think it's only £8 (not sure) and it lasts a long time 2/3 months and is very effective do it is worth it!! BUT because of the benzoyl peroxide in it, it makes skin more sensitive to the face leading to lines and sunburn, but this can be fixed by wearing a sensitive face suncream (which I live off) or a foundation or moisturiser that contains SPF15 or above.

rated 5 of 5 on 6/14/2013 2:23:00 PM More reviews by HannahRose27

I suffered from occasional cystic acne for about 5 years. I literally tried every drugstore product out there to try to combat the acne, but nothing worked. My acne was never really that severe, but being a teenager it really took a toll on my self esteem. I went to my doctor, and she prescribed me duac. I didn't want to set my hopes too high, because I'd tired prescription acne medications that just made my skin worse (Clindamycin). For the first couple of weeks that I was on duac, my skin got a little bit dry, and I continued to break out, but I think that was just a purging process. After about a month of duac, I really started to see dramatic results. My cheeks are clear of acne and tiny blackheads on my chin have disappeared. My whole face is completely clear, and the only "breakouts" I get now are tiny whiteheads on my nose. Even if I think I start to see a pimple forming, it just flattens out in about a day due to the duac. I honestly think this is a miracle product for acne. Duac gives you the results that you hope ever acne product you try will give you. I'm so much more confident now that I have clear skin. Duac is amazing!