Peter Thomas Roth Matte Lip Balm

3.3

on 12/30/2009 3:43:00 PM

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair-Medium, Cool

I found a tube of PTR's matte lip balm this morning while rummaging through my closet (Not sure how it got there! It must be my brother's.) and was very excited to try it. I must be one of the only girls who hates having glossy lips, but I always need lip balm to keep myself from biting/licking them. I like how this balm moisturizes without shine, so I looked into buying a larger size, thinking that this was a sample....and then I found out that this tiny tube is the only size, selling for $12. $12? Seriously? I like the formula and will use this up (which should take a while because you need hardly any product to coat your lips), but there's no way I'm spending that much money on 0.25 oz when I can spend $7 or less on 0.80 oz of Rosebud's lip balm.

on 1/22/2008 12:59:00 PM

This product is exactly what it says: matte lip balm. I love the way it feels when you first apply it (silky!), but the emollient effect wears away relatively quickly. It is truly matte which is great for a no make up look or if you want to add some comfort to a made up matte lip look (it works well over lipstick). I just used this on a menswear runway show and it was a lifesaver. Most lip balms make men look like they're wearing gloss but the PTR Matte Lip Balm was absolutely perfect.

on 12/22/2006 7:17:00 PM

Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Coarse

I think that I like this lip balm because it looks like I'm not wearing any lip product at all. I'm completely addicted to lip balm ( I HAVE to wear something on my lips!) but hate it when my lips look and feel as though they've been coated in baby oil. I don't need extra shine while protecting my lips... I'd reach for clear lipgloss if I wanted extra shine! So, of course, the matte feature of this lip balm is a HUGE reason for me to like this balm. I also like that it's taste/fragrance-free (sensitivities on my part) and that it's a cruelty-free company. It doesn't flake or change the color of my lips.. It just moisturizes while mattifying, just as it's supposed to.

Of course, this lip balm has to be applied just as often as any other lip balm, and doesn't offer any more moisture than my usual chapstick...so I'll still need to rely on my C.O. Bigelow soothing lip buffer before using this lip balm. It also doesn't give me that wonderful cooling (read: mentholated/medicated) feeling that some of my lip balms give me. And I find myself wishing that this product were FAR bigger! The .25 oz size is too tiny for $12, and the .5oz size costs a small fortune!

So, it gets 3 lippies for the no-nonsense mattifying, the cruelty-free, and the lack of taste/smell...
I take two lippies away for the price and small size of the product... as well as the lack of originality in sensation/packaging/additional moisturizing benefits...

Ultimately, I'll buy it again and hope that it's on sale (or that they improve the formula).

i think that i man would like this product more than women. case in point - i think this product is fair but one of guy friends is in love with it. it made my lips soft but no more than any other kind of lip balm. i do like that i have a no shine option with this product but that still doesn't sway me into purchasing this again. the small size of this product is beyond horrible, i really only think that i could get a month's use of this product. a nice lip balm but one that i can most likely live quite happily without.

on 5/12/2006 2:58:00 PM

Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm

I am completely on the fence with this one. I love lipbalm, but I've found that most of them that I really love for moisture and smell, leave my lips looking like I slicked them with chicken grease. I don't hate this balm, it does what it says, no glossy effect at all and my lips are fairly moisturized. However, the amount you get for $12 is insane. It's about .25 oz and at first when I received it in the mail...I thought they'd sent a sample size by mistake...I guess I should have read further and/or gone to my local PTR carrying store and purchased it so I wouldn't have had to pay shipping on top of the cost. I would probably use this again, but it would have to come for free along with the purchase of my PTR Botanical Buffing Beads.

on 11/12/2005 12:31:00 PM

I had a coupon good for any item up to $12.50 free with a $20 purchase at my nearest BBW flagship store. I'm glad I didn't pay for this. I don't know what I was thinking when I chose this. It does indeed mattify your lips so this is perfect for those ladies who hate shiny lips or for guys. It's a TINY tube-0.25 oz-that costs $12 USD. It's kind of like putting Olay Regerenerist Daily Regenerating Serum on your lips (only the Olay is more cost effective and at leasts delivers peptides into your skin. I have actually used it on my lips and it wasn't bad). Anyway, I digress. If you have really chapped lips, as I often get, I doubt this would do much. I should've gone with the Murad lip treatment instead (the original one) but this seemed like such a cool concept. It does make my lips feel super soft and mattifies them (it doesn't turn them white, just takes the shine away) but I think it's probably more cosmetic and doesn't actually moisturize so much. You can apply under or over l/s. Ingredients: Dimethicone, Vinyl Dimethicone Copolymer, Green Tea (Camellia Sinesis) Leaf Extract, Ginger (Zingiber Officinate) Root Extract, Rosemary (Rosemarinus Officinalis) Leaf Extract. Fragrance- and taste-free.

Popular Lip Treatments