Burt's Bees Honey Lip Balm

3.0

Not tested on animals
Burt's Bees is a Cruelty-Free Subsidiary.

beeswax, sunflower seed oil, coconut oil, lanolin, aroma (flavor), honey, tocopherol, rosemary leaf extract, soybean oil, canola oil, benzyl benzoate, coumarin.

Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Neutral

Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium

What I like:

+ Softening and healing for my lips in the long run.
+ Cruelty free (though parent company isn't)

What I don't particularly like:
- The taste of honey on my lips. Which, I will admit, is my fault for buying this lip balm in particular. But I like the taste of honey, I like home made face masks with honey, so I thought this would be fine as well. Turns out it's not very pleasant to slather your lips in honey lip balm. Neither the scent nor the taste that lingers is very pleasant.
- Sits on your lips kind of like a "film" for a while before it sinks in. It doesn't feel very natural at all in that sense.
- Not worth the money, compared to what you can get for the same amount.

I'm all about the natural lip balms, and if you are too, I'd suggest trying out Hurraw! lip balms instead. They're the ones that any new lip balm I try is competing with, and so far I haven't found a brand that beats them. Sorry, Burt's Bees, I won't be repurchasing you.

Can be a bit difficult to apply but easier when warm, lovely smell, moisturising and definetely helps dry lips.

I love burts bees but I couldn't stand the taste of this stuff...

This lip balm is okay. It provides a decent level of moisture and will help protect your lips if they are already in good shape. It is quite waxy and doesn't melt into the lips well, which has pros and cons. The advantage of this is that is stays on your lips longer, offering more protection. The downside is it takes more effort to apply a thicker layer, and you can feel a sort of film on your lips afterwards. The smell is awful, it is sickly sweet and hard to ignore, however if you like the smell of raw honey (for some strange reason) you won't mind the scent. This lip balm does an alright job of maintaining my lips during these harsh canadian winters. As others stated, it will not perform miracles.

Overall Pros:
-Vitamin E does heal minor chapping.
-Enough moisture to maintain lips.
-Not drying in the long term.
-Remains on the lips.
-Not tested on animals.

Overall Cons:
-Expensive considering the quality.
-Hard to apply.
-Waxy.
-Horrific scent/taste.
-Not suitable for severely chapped lips.

The best way I have found to use this product is to apply a thick layer of the lip balm and then top with some coconut oil. The coconut oil helps to add extra moisture and also can help to counteract the smell.

Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Neutral

It's a good lipbalm. It has a slight sweet scent, goes on nicely and it is not too waxy like some people reported, although it doesn't get all melty as you apply it if that's what you're going for.
It does an ok job moisturising, the packaging is nice though it is kinda pricey. I am satisfied with it, but I will not repurchase because:
a) for that price i expect a really awesome lipbalm, this one was good but could do better and
b) I have a ton more other lipbalms that I haven't tried yet and want to (gotta catch them all!)

I don't think I've ever immediately disliked a product as quickly as I did this one. The smell is horrible! It started giving me a headache so I had to wipe the chapstick completely off. This was a waste and I should have just gone with the regular Burt's Bees chapstick. I'll probably be throwing this one out.

Skin: Dry, Olive, Cool

I recommend this to you only if you are completely hard of smelling. There must be at least half a dozen offensive odours, I prefer over this lipbalm, which to me smells like a mix of witchcraft & wet sheep.

Having said that to some people this only smells like raw honey. So I guess you will either love or hate this, which is somewhat of a gamble.

I can't tell you if the performance is good or not as I could not get over the scent.

Context: I have dry to very dry lips year-round but especially during the winter. I am reviewing this balm in the summer. I have no strong preferences about lip balm formulas aside from a big aversion to mint in lip products.

Performance-wise, this is a totally average lip balm. It staves off dryness but doesn't perform miracles, though it does seem to get me most of the way through the night during these summer months. The texture is very waxy and fairly hard as a result. The balm doesn't soften against the warmth of my lips so it takes a bunch of swipes to apply a satisfactory amount of product. The upside to the waxy texture is it sticks around for a while and leaves my lips feeling a little tacky.

The scent is a big turnoff and the thing that will prevent me from repurchasing this balm. Despite the fact that the balm has actual honey listed in the ingredients, it's got a strong, powdery, artificial honey scent added which reads like an industrial restroom air freshener to my nose. The scent sticks around for a while after application so I keep getting whiffs of it mixing with my perfume, which makes me cranky. I'll probably finish the tube but I definitely won't repurchase.

Skin: Combination, Tan, Not Sure

the formula of this product is amazing and it leaves my lips extremely soft, but the smell isn't great. Willing to put that aside though, as it does wonders for my lips!

Skin: Oily, Medium, Neutral

Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium

I found this chapstick at my local dollar store for $2. Normally, Burt's Bees products are quite expensive else where. I can't see myself spending $7 on a chapstick. So I'm glad I only paid $2. First off, it took me almost ten minutes to get the sticker off that holds the cap on, and as soon as I opened it I was instantly put off by the smell. It smells like potpourri. I tried it anyways, because I only bought it because my lips were super dry. It went on like wax, and left a big chunk of it on my lips, no matter how gently I tried applying it, it went on so chunky and thick I couldn't stand it. And it's 2 degrees Celsius here right now so it wasn't melted.
Even after wiping it off and eating a sub, I could still smell it. I was really hoping this "lip balm" would be more like the shimmer ones, and would have a minty/cooling sensation.
So glad I didn't spend $7 on it.

Popular Lip Treatments