September 22, 2014 | 2036 users online

Cleansers - Alpha Hydrox - Foaming Face Wash

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 8/16/2014 1:22:00 PM More reviews by mmherman

I am trying out Alpha Hydroxy products recently. This was the second product I purchased from their line. My first was a 10% aha facial lotion. It didn't cause any breakouts and helped to minimize the look of blackheads on my nose and cheeks. I wad impressed enough to then buy this facial cleanser after that had purchased another cleanser that worked, but felt harsh.

This facial wash ia gentle and cleans well. It doesn't irritate my eyes. It doesn't get super foaming, but I don't really require my cleansers to lather and foam. I just require that they remove makeup. This one does that. It also pairs nicely with the AHA lotion at night and my Kaolin/glycerin day lotion.

Overall, I am impressed with this product. I will continue to try out products from this line. I don't know why it took me so long to try Alpha Hydroxy, but I am so glad I did!

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 1/19/2014 3:15:00 PM More reviews by Endit

Age: 19-24 Skin: Other, Fair, Neutral Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Brown

PROS: Cleans everything off. Doesn't dry me out or over moisturize me.

CONS: Doesn't work the best with Clarisonic. Need to pause a lot to foam it back up, otherwise it loses substance.

OTHER: It smells exactly like pHisoderm, another pH balanced cleanser. Maybe they use similar balancing ingredients. The one I'm reviewing has alkyl polyglycoside, though the official site says it should include Decyl Polyglucoside. They must have reformulated it. I will try the newer one in time.

OVERALL: I'd buy it again. It's a good cleanser, I can't find much fault with it.

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 11/4/2013 6:05:00 AM More reviews by zernelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

Although I've been happy with the Free and Clear Liquid Cleanser, it started to make my skin just a little dry as the weather got cooler, and I thought it would be nice to get a cleanser I can purchase locally (rather than online). So I went to my local Ulta and bought the Alpha Hydrox Foaming Face Wash because it gets rave reviews. Unfortunately, however, I find it even more drying than the Free and Clear. My skin became so uncomfortable that I had to stop using it and order an old favorite cleanser--Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Cleanser. I guess I'll use up the rest of the Alpha Hydrox cleanser as a body wash. Other than causing dryness, it is a nice cleanser--removes makeup, rinses easily, and doesn't irritate skin or eyes.

Ingredients: Water, Glycerin, Decyl Polyglucose, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, PEG-7 Glyceryl Cocoate, Citric Acid, Sodium Laureth Sulfate, Propylene Glycol, PEG-3 Distearate, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ammonium Hydroxide. continued >>

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/18/2013 7:51:00 PM More reviews by tricyclesinskirts

Every time I get aggravated with another cleanser, I go back to alpha hydrox foaming. Cerave (both formulations,) cetaphil, albolene, ponds cream (I do like this one for makeup removal, though), proactiv, olay sensitive...the list goes on, but I'm confident you get the idea. Alpha hydrox doesn't *amaze me* as far its anti-aging abilities go (I'd not mention this but its on the label--one can only expect so much as far as product that stays on your skin so briefly), and it may prove quite drying for some. However, it is the one cleanser I can foam up, rub all over my face, and not worry about the consequences, and there's something to be said for that.

Sometimes I use alpha hydrox with my olay pro x brush; other times, I just use a simple wash cloth. If I've worn heavy duty makeup that day, I do pre-cleanse before using this, just to be sure. It does not sting my eye area, and I have quite sensitive eyes (plus wear contacts.) i do not recommend it as an eye makeup remover, but its great that it doesn't sting that area.

The price is not so bad--right in the middle for me, bit high for drugstores ($10 or so IME.) I use extrabucks from CVS to counter that. Love this product, and though i anticipate more experimentation in my face wash horizon, I always love to have this around when those experiments go awry.

rated 4 of 5 top reviewer on 10/1/2013 9:44:00 PM More reviews by kyl77

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Red, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I just picked up a bottle of this low-foaming cleanser at Wallgreen's for under $6.00 bucks. Unlike most of the Alpha Hydrox products, this doesn't contain glycolic acid. It does, however, contain citric acid which is a type of AHA, but I don't think the PH is low enough to allow exfoliation. Not that it matters too much since you're just going to rinse it down the drain. Exfoiliating or not, after using it a few times, I have to say I'm really pleased with the results. My skin feels very soft and clean. I especially liked how quickly this removes oil and makeup without making me feel dry or tight. Just for the record, I have combination (normal to oily) sensitive skin. This might be too strong for someone who is super dry. Also, although this does foam, it doesn't foam nearly as much as the average foaming cleanser. So if you're into lots of bubbles, this might not be for you. Overall, a great product.

EDIT:
After using this for a while, I've started to notice some dryness. Not a lot, but I probably wouldn't buy it again. I only took off one lippie though, because it would probably be great for someone with super oily skin. For the record, I've switched to Aquanil.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 4/6/2013 12:17:00 PM More reviews by mitabird

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Medium Brown, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product based on the great reviews. I like the fact that it's fragrance free and low foaming, but this has been very drying on my combo/dry skin. It may be a better option in the summer as a PM wash as it reacts negatively with a spf moisturizer I use in the AM.

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 3/15/2013 8:21:00 AM More reviews by Dive14

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Kinky, Medium Eyes: Green

I am usually vigilant about product ingredients before I use them on myself and I was wary of this product because it contains Sodium Laureth Sulfate and even Sodium Chloride (salt!) but I bought this anyway because of the great reviews on Makeupalley. MUA has proved extremely helpful to me over the years unfortunately this one did not live up to the rating - for me, anyway. I use a gentle cleanser in the AM (non foaming or stripping) and then in the PM remove my makeup with my usual Bioderma H20/Simple Wipes/a mild non-foaming cleanser and then maybe Clinique Mild Clarifying Lotion afterwards as BHA toner. This time I used this to cleanse after removing makeup, then Decleor night balm. Literally even with the balm my skin felt so parched and I could tell this had "stripped" my skin and disrupted its protective acid mantle. The next morning I woke up to an irritated rash on my cheeks - like small red blisters. I could also feel an under the skin spot forming on my cheek. I immediately slathered on a rich, soothing mosituriser and luckily this calmed my face and stopped it from getting worse. The rash and spot luckily settled the next day however this experience was enough to make me throw out the wash. I should have known better anything "foaming" is too drying and stripping for me. Plus the claims of this product are false - they claim the product is "soap free" yet Sodium Laureth Sulfate is indeed one of the ingredients (albeit low down in the list - it's still there!). Plus the way you get most products to foam is the presence of a soap/detergent (SLS)!!! I stupidly thought because it wasn't in the top ingredients it would be fine but this experience has taught me to stay away from all skin products with SLS in the ingredients in future and I urge anyone else to do this even if they have combo skin (like me) or even oily...

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 1 of 5 top reviewer on 2/11/2013 2:33:00 PM More reviews by RustGospel

Age: 19-24 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Black, Curly, Fine Eyes: Brown

I really wanted to like this product (as well as other Alpha Hydrox products) but I really don't think it's for me.
I purchased this a few months ago and have been using it religiously since then, both in conjunction with the 10% Enhanced Lotion and more recently, alone. This makes my face so overwhelmingly dry and tight. It seems as though no amount of moisturizer will replenish my skin once it's been washed with this. To even raise an eyebrow or smile feels uncomfortable. My skin looks terrible.
Since I've been using Alpha Hydrox products, I've noticed that my skin has become much more fussy and aggravated than usual also- probably because it's so dry. Winter definitely isn't helping but I stay inside most of the time. I haven't seen any difference in my skin aside from the fact that it is unbearably dry and more prone to irritation than it was before. Basic cleansers like Cetaphil seem to do a 1,000 times better for my skin than this does.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/2/2012 3:52:00 AM More reviews by Walko

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Medium, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Brown

Lovely product, one of my favourites. A little goes a long way, does not dry out the skin and is fragrance free.I hate fragranced skin care, that nice smell that so many people seem to want in their face creams and washes is not skin care.No dry tight feeling after using this, just nice and soft. This is a water soluable cleanser with just a slight foaming action.I will buy this again and again.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2012 10:09:00 AM More reviews by jennita

This is my HG cleanser. I buy it 3-4 at a time so I can get free shipping. I also keep one on my counter (for night) and one in my shower (for morning). My skin is combo and as I get older, I'm getting dry patches. This cleanser gets rid of makeup and is very, very gentle. Doesn't overdry my skin, but doesn't leave it dirty or oily. You just need a little bit so a bottle goes a long way. I docked the packaging b/c a pump would be better.

It's a US company and they always send a signed note thanking me for my business. That's a nice touch. And it's not a million dollars, so that is GREAT!