December 19, 2014 | 1440 users online

Top/Base Coats - Orly - Bonder Rubberized Basecoat

rated 3 of 5 top reviewer on 12/10/2014 1:19:00 AM More reviews by tinkerrbelle

Age: 36-43 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Warm Hair: Blond, Other, Fine Eyes: Blue

PROS:
- Improves wear time slightly
- Attractive new packaging + rubber handle

CONS:
- Liquidy, floods the nail
- Does not prevent staining
- Orange tint contrasts too much for those with very pale skin and tints sheer pale polish shades
- Stains my nails slightly orange from the tint

I prefer Orly Nail Defense Base Coat. Its completely clear and untinted. It seems to prevent staining better than Bonder and strengthens my nails at the same time. It has the ingredient Toslyamide/Formaldehyde Resin in it which hardens and strengthens my soft bendy nails noticeably in a single use. After 2 - 3 weeks of Nail Defense I find my nails are so much longer and stronger. People with already hard nails might prefer Bonder but if yours are soft and weak Nail Defense can work wonders.

*****
P.S. For those concerned about seeing "Formaldehyde Resin" on the back of nail polishes like Opi and Orly. Don't worry about this as it is Formaldehyde RESIN and it does not release any of the dangerous Formaldehyde GAS at all. (The only thing in polish you need to watch out for is "Toluene", which is in Seche Vite products, I use them but sit beside an open window while polish is drying). RESIN is not dangerous and hardens nails beautifully. A few people will find they are sensitive to Formaldehyde Resin so they will want to avoid strengtheners but it is not poisonous/linked to cancer/birth defects of linked or in any way comparable to the safety concerns surrounding Formaldehyde GAS.

The dangerous form of Formaldehyde to watch out for is actually called "Methylene Glycol", in "Brazilian Blowout" or "Keratin Straightening" Treatments. Check the back of your ingredients list. If it states methylene glycol THATS Formaldehyde Gas legally hiding under a different name so you don't see it. When the methylene glycol contained in Brazilian/Keratin Hair Treatment is heated during processing it changes form and releases dangerous Formaldehyde GAS which goes straight up your nose and into your bloodstream.

Its not your nail polish you need to worry about. The danger is hiding in those beautiful hair straightening and de-frizzing treatments. Oh, and there is even more formaldehyde gassing into the air of many homes leaking out of that cheap furniture made of treated pressed wood, new building materials and new paint in many peoples homes. Stick to solid wood cribs and toxin free paints for a new nursery if possible.

rated 1 of 5 on 12/8/2014 7:26:00 PM More reviews by Spacebarscandybars

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Other

I'm very disappointed with this product. I really wanted to like it because of all the great reviews but it looks like I'm in the minority that this product doesn't work for. It actually makes my polish chip faster than it would without it. My nails chip after one day, or even sometimes after a few hours. I've tried everything to make this stuff work. Waited a couple minutes after applying, not waiting at all, nothing makes it work. I guess I'll just accept that this base coat just doesn't work for my nails, which is unfortunate. This is actually the first base coat I've ever tried, looks like I'll have to take my chances with another one.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/28/2014 2:21:00 PM More reviews by ponyskin

Age: 19-24 Skin: Acne-prone, Fair, Cool Hair: Red, Wavy, Fine Eyes: Green

I'll never use another base coat again! Got a tester of this in a beauty advent calendar last christmas and I was amazed at how well it worked. My manicure just doesn't look or last the same without it.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 11/7/2014 7:38:00 AM More reviews by snowwgirl

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Green

Game changer for me Why did I wait so long to try this? Turns almost any polish into a long wearing, chip resistant one. HG for me.

rated 5 of 5 on 11/7/2014 5:16:00 AM More reviews by MadameButterfly

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Olive, Neutral Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

A must have product if you do your own manicure. I get zero staining and peeling when I use this base coat. I remove my polish with pure acetone and my nails feel healthy and are strong and hard, thanks to this product. When I don't use this base coat, over time nail polish starts to make my nails peel. A no brainer! Go and buy it!

rated 5 of 5 on 11/1/2014 11:57:00 PM More reviews by Hogwartshonorstudent

Age: 25-29 Skin: Normal, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Blue

Love this so much!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/26/2014 9:34:00 AM More reviews by lozzie88

Age: 25-29 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Straight, Fine Eyes: Blue

It's official, I'm in love! I've found my basecoat soulmate, and it is the Orly Bonder. I had been hesitant to buy this since a) it has mixed reviews, where some say it stains and peels easily, and b) it is $19.95 in Australia. I'm so glad I caved tough, it is really helping my polish last (I'm lucky to get 2 days wear with any other combo I do). It goes on smooth and dries almost instantly, and then allows polish to go on top so smoothly and straight away. I have even using Seche Vite as my top coat with this for reference. If your polish chips easily and you think you've tried all else, do yourself a favour and try this!

rated 5 of 5 on 10/5/2014 9:52:00 PM More reviews by rguffin

Age: 25-29 Skin: Combination, Fair-Medium, Neutral Hair: Blond, Straight, Medium Eyes: Brown

Ez to open rubber top. Not a strong scent. Price is great for the value and life of the polish.
most importantly! It keeps my nail art looking as great on day #1 as it does by day 5, 6, 7... !!!
used this before and came back to it 4 manis and pedis ago
ty orly for making such a great product!

rated 5 of 5 on 9/20/2014 6:46:00 PM More reviews by PrincessPilar

Age: 44-55 Skin: Acne-prone, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Black

This is the best base coat ever. If you want your manicure to last a week, you need to use this under it!!! I have used it with different brands of nail polish and I easily get at least 5 days' wear. I even used it with Sally Hansen Insta-Dri (for which I posted a bad review since it chipped in 48 hours!) and it has surpassed my expectations.... Not a single chip all week!!! I will not use any other base coat and I'm looking into the Orly polishes as well. The HG base coat in my opinion!

rated 4 of 5 on 9/15/2014 10:55:00 AM More reviews by kearro

Age: 44-55 Skin: Dry, Fair-Medium, Cool Hair: Brown, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Hazel

Although it claims "It prevents nail lacquer from wearing off for up to two weeks" I have not found that to be true in my experience. However, I am very neglectful of my hands and nails - it certainly does seem to do a better job than other basecoats I have used in the past. At $8.00 CAN for 18 ml it seemed like a good value. I will definitely be buying this product again.