August 27, 2014 | 1614 users online

Polishes - Essie - Clambake

rated 4 of 5 on 2/10/2014 7:51:00 PM More reviews by rosebud222

The application is very easy with Clambake. It's rather sheer without streaking, so easy to apply but you need at least 2 coats for opaqueness. The color is really bright and flashy, and as far as orange goes it's very nice. The reason I wouldn't repurchase is that I preferred the color in photos, but on my skin I'm just not "in love" . I find it isn't the right shade to compliment my skin tone. However, if bright and vivid oranges work on you then go for it because it's pretty and easy to use. I will still wear it since I own it though so it's not even close to horrible or ugly just to be clear.

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 1/3/2014 9:15:00 AM More reviews by tigrushka

Age: 44-55 Skin: Combination, Fair, Warm Hair: Grey, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Green

Clambake has become my favourite for the darkest period of the year, since it's such a bright and enegizing shade, a bit like visual vitamin C. Verging on neon, but does not cross the line to eye-hurting brightness.

I use Essie basecoat and two coats of Clambake and have no trouble with sheerness at all. This stays on well over a week without chipping and peeling, excellent polish!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 10/8/2013 3:31:00 AM More reviews by bonniherself

Age: 44-55 Skin: Sensitive, Fair, Cool Hair: Brown, Other, Medium Eyes: Hazel

A gorgeous, rich medium-deep red-orange jelly. This is quite similar to Essie "Meet Me at Sunset", but this is more red.

Formula is very nice, smooth application, and I got reasonably good opacity right off the mark. Two coats was pretty much opaque, though this, being a jelly, does lean to the sheer side so if you want absolute opacity, you might need three coats. I was perfectly happy with two, though. This also has a nice, smooth finish.

I see a lot of reviewers complaining or at least commenting on the sheerness of this, but I honestly didn't have a problem. Possibly it's because I tend to use medium-thick coats? I don't know, but I really didn't find this to be "too sheer" at all.

Wear is good, other than rapid tip wear, which I get with pretty much any jelly type polish I wear, so I can't really hold it against this one. It seems to be the nature of the jelly beast, at least for me.

Yummy polish, delicious warm colour, flattering to my pale, cool complexion. If you already have Meet Me at Sunset, you probably don't need this one, too, but if you don't, and you're looking for a nice red-orange jelly, I definitely recommend this.

4 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 4 of 5 on 8/12/2013 4:13:00 PM More reviews by AmyMendoza

Age: 25-29 Skin: Other, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brown, Other, Other Eyes: Hazel

I really liked this color but I probably wont buy it again. The color is awesome! An orange red thats a 3 coater. My problem with this color is that its way to sheer! You can still see your nail lines even after the 3 coats. Maybe if you put down one coat of white before you use this color it would look better but that just seems like alot of work. So I added Essie Shine of the Times over it & I think it really brought out the orange color of both polishes!

rated 3 of 5 on 7/5/2013 1:54:00 PM More reviews by girlygirlv

Age: 30-35 Skin: Other, Other, Not Sure Hair: Other, Other, Other Eyes: Other

I saw this online on a fair-skinned girl and it looked so pretty-a nice redish-orange. I immediately bought it, excited to try it out for Summer. I have to say, I think this color looks better on fair-skinned girls than tan girls. I am about NC37 and it is bright, but it's not super flattering. As far as the formulation, it's a jelly polish and does go on smooth, but is not opaque after two coats. I have a hard time justifying applying more than two coats, but even after two, you could still see my natural nails tips under the polish. I think this color would look best of fair girls with very short nails, but this didn't work for me.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 5/3/2013 12:30:00 PM More reviews by SHeust

Age: 25-29 Skin: Dry, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Green

I got this polish from a friend; it wasn't a color I would have picked myself. However, it is a really fun, fresh color for summer! Clam Bake is a coralish shade (orange-red with two coats and tomato red with three coats) that is surprisingly flattering. Great on nails with gold jewelry or on toes for a pool party. The formula, like all Essie polishes, is very smooth and shiny, not too thin or thick and lasts very well.

rated 4 of 5 on 6/18/2012 1:27:00 PM More reviews by ace2o4

Age: 19-24 Skin: Sensitive, Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Straight, Fine Eyes: Brown

I'm a huge Essie fan so I'm always trying new colors, which is definitely a hit-or-miss experience. Essie calls this "a creamy red-orange", though it is much more orange than red. Also, this is not a creamy nail polish at all, it is certainly a jelly. I put on 2 coats initially, but added a 3rd coat the next day because I wanted it to be more opaque. I love this color, it looks especially good on my warm-toned skin. It's great for summer and is a nice break from wearing reds, which is my usual go-to classic color. The only reason I gave 4 lippes instead of 5 is because I wish it was more opaque. However, I would recommend this to a friend and will definitely repurchase once my bottle is empty!

rated 4 of 5 on 6/10/2012 11:35:00 PM More reviews by TeresaAnn

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Blond, Other, Other Eyes: Green

I LOVE this color for summer! It's a brilliant orange-red that dazzles with a top coat. I keep my nails quite short so I only had to apply 2 coats, but I could see how longer nails would need to apply 3+ to achieve opacity. It's one of the very limited red polishes that looks chic on short nails.

rated 2 of 5 top reviewer on 6/3/2012 3:31:00 PM More reviews by Simply_beautiful

This looks so dull without a tan! I used it on my nails and removed it the same day!
You cannot get away with two coats, it is far too sheer so 3 coats is another minus for me.
I like the award winning Geranium so much better, it is much classier, much more lively and looks gorgeous with 2 coats.
Will give Clambake another try when i m tanned but again, i have other favourites for then. Will not buy again and regreted that i did.

rated 2 of 5 on 4/29/2012 5:12:00 AM More reviews by PhatMuffin

A beautiful red with a hint of orange, perfect for the summer! Here's the problem though: I own a lot of essie polishes and after a lot of chipping an re-applying I found that two thin coats is the secret for this brand. If you apply only two thin coats and no top coat they last forever on the nail, however this polish (as so many other essie polishes) is very very sheer and need three or four coats to become opaque. I'm tired of having to reapply it everyday so now it's just in my drawer collecting dust, too bad, because the color is really pretty.