April 21, 2014 | 1891 users online

Blush - Wet 'n' Wild - Silk Finish Heather Silk

• Price: $

rated 3 of 5 on 2/6/2014 9:48:00 PM More reviews by belle169

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Wavy, Medium Eyes: Brown

This is the only Wet'n'Wild product that I've tried, as you can't get them easily here in NZ. However, I spotted this at a makeup sale a while ago, and snapped it up immediately as I remembered hearing really good things about W'n'W blushes. Unfortunately, this particular shade isn't one that I've got much use out of, and I wouldn't repurchase it if I ever did (somehow) finish it.

To start with, the good things about this blush:
-It's *extremely* pigmented. Not even the fussiest person could complain about any lack of colour payoff here.
-Lasts all day. Granted, I don't have in any way oily cheeks, but even so, some blushes wear off during the day. Not this one!
-You get a large amount of product, which means that this isn't something you're going to have to be shelling out big bucks for on a regular basis. That leads me to my last point....
-This is incredibly cheap. Obviously all makeup costs more here than it does in basically any other country in the world (are you picking up on the tone of bitterness here?), but you can get this blush for less than $10 online, and I believe even at the makeup sale it was only about $8.

However, despite all the points above, here are the reasons I don't really like this blush that much:

-Although I dislike non-pigmented products as much as the next person, I personally find this blush to be TOO pigmented to work with easily. I don't like having to spend 5 minutes on applying my blush alone in the morning, but this blush does require lots of time to make it work. I literally barely touch the product with my brush and it picks up WAY too much product to apply straight away -- I have to work some of it off onto my wrist and then spend ages buffing it out and sometimes even applying more regular face powder on top to get it toned down enough to wear out in public.
-The colour just has too strong a blue undertone for me to be able to pull off with my fair, warm skin. I'm sure that this colour would work amazingly on people with cooler undertones - I can picture it as being the perfect just-in-from-the-snow flush of colour on some people, just definitely not on me. It really doesn't look flattering, and therefore I rarely wear it.

All that being said, I think this is a beautiful colour, and if it actually looked good on me I would probably be more willing to expend the time it requires to apply it nicely. I'm definitely keen to try out some of the eyeshadows, if the pigmentation anywhere near matches that of this blush. Overall, for the price, I think this blush definitely worth a try. :) Hope that helps some of you!

5 out of 5 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 3 of 5 on 9/24/2013 2:45:00 AM More reviews by Yogal28

I really like Wet n Wild blush. They are the most pigmented and long lasting (at least on my face and I do live in a tropical country where the heat can be too much, almost all year round, with no four season, here we only have rain or sunny day). I don't need to use a lot to show the color on my face although it is not easily available in my country, I order it online and had to wait till a month to get it but still, it is worth for it price and got the work done very well. Usually I save them for outing when I need to spend more than 6 hours outside and I know they won't fade or disappear easily on my face. Why I gave this blush 3 lippies is because of its color. I love Mellow Wine and I intend to get other two and see how it goes since it is cheap, there isn't any harm anyway right? But for Heather Silk, the color just isn't suitable for me. It is sort of a blue pink mauve on me and I don't look right, healthy or even fresh. No matter how light or slightly heavy, with different application way I applied this blush, it is just not appealing at all to me. I feel like I overdone it every time. Like one reviewer who mention that the color look like she has been smacked, I feel and think the same way when I saw this color on my face. With Mellow Wine and a light tap, it makes me look sophisticated and can be elegant. Too bad this color just don't work for me. I really like how it look in the pan but like Nars Desire, this just doesn't work. Probably it will work for someone with cooler skin tone. Needless to say, I won't repurchase. Will check out the other colors though.

rated 4 of 5 on 9/24/2013 1:54:00 AM More reviews by SPerk

Love the color. Very pigmented! Good texture, smooth and not chalky. I really like that this is a matte color bc wnw always seems to put shimmer in everything. Can't beat the price. I've done a lot of drugstore hauls lately and this was definitely one of the more mention worthy products I've brought home. Deducted this brand again for the packaging. It is light a convenient but no mirror so applying on the go would require another compact. And the product is such a thin layer that I would be afraid it would break in my purse or travel bag. Over all a good buy and I would repurchase.

rated 3 of 5 on 3/31/2013 12:36:00 AM More reviews by lapislazuli17

Age: 18 & Under Skin: Acne-prone, Medium, Warm Hair: Brunette, Straight, Medium Eyes: Green

I tried the Heathersilk blush and was not impressed. I had been searching for a dark pink that would compliment my skin and give me a sultry, night-on-the-town look. This was not the blush for me. It was streaky on my face and didn't blend well. It was dark, but it was a dark/bright combination and upon application it had looked as if I had been smacked. I toned it down with light face powder to blend some of the brightness. I threw it away because I just couldn't work with it. femme couture had a similar looking shade in their loose blush (sweet blush) that was more agreeable in terms of shade. I love Wet-n-Wild, but I personally did not like this blush.

rated 5 of 5 on 3/29/2013 1:41:00 PM More reviews by Josefigne

Age: 19-24 Skin: Dry, Fair, Cool Hair: Blond, Wavy, Coarse Eyes: Blue

Has a really nice pigmentation and is quite soft/buttery. I just broke mine, but will def. buy it again!

rated 5 of 5 on 2/27/2013 5:11:00 AM More reviews by ylingsbling

Age: 36-43 Skin: Normal, Olive, Not Sure Hair: Black, Straight, Other Eyes: Brown

True dark pink and stays that way. It takes a few tries to not overdo it very pigmented!!! I needed this one and will use it a lot. Very happy. I think I will make a custom palette and depot this because the packaging is the cheapest ugliest thing I ever purchased.Good quality !

rated 4 of 5 on 2/25/2013 5:07:00 PM More reviews by nsemon

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Fair, Not Sure Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Grey

Good bargain blush!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2013 7:35:00 PM More reviews by Leal18

Age: 36-43 Skin: Oily, Fair-Medium, Warm Hair: Brown, Curly, Medium Eyes: Hazel

Unless they've changed this formula, I have to disagree with one of the reviewers below....there is ZERO shimmer in this blush. It is truly a gorgeous, but absolutely MATTE pink blush. One of my faves to be sure. The color brings my sallow complextion to life, does NOT show pores due to no glitter or shine, and makes my green eyes pop. Love this for that healthy, winter wind flushed glow.

2 out of 3 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No

rated 5 of 5 on 2/18/2013 7:15:00 PM More reviews by Lolat81

Age: 30-35 Skin: Combination, Olive, Warm Hair: Brunette, Other, Other Eyes: Green

This blush is fantastic! Very saturated in color. Cheap but quality! It's lasted so long so far. A little goes a long way. It's great and I holy recommend it!

rated 5 of 5 top reviewer on 2/18/2013 5:10:00 PM More reviews by AndreaJunelle

Age: 30-35 Skin: Very Oily, Fair, Warm Hair: Brunette, Curly, Medium Eyes: Brown

If you're thinking about purchasing this blush, go for it :) It's a stunning, 100% matte, plummy pink shade that is super inexpensive. Very similar in coloring to NARS Mata Hari (not a dupe by any means, but definitely in the same color family..) In other words I feel like if you like Mata Hari, chances are you'll also like Heather Silk, & vice versa.

For reference I have 30 yr old, very pale skin with mostly neutral undertones that lean slightly warm (If I wore MAC I'd currently wear N10. But at my darkest I can pull off NC15) I also have oily/acne prone skin, dark brown hair, & dark brown eyes.

I own all 4 of the WnW Blushes and Heather Silk is my favorite by far. It's the most pigmented (almost too pigmented to be honest, I have to be especially careful with my application of Heather Silk) &It's the only one that is completely, one hundred percent matte. &It is also the most flattering shade of the four on my personal skintone.

Application - Unfortunately application of this shade isn't "fool proof" :( It takes a little work or a lot of practice to get it just right, especially on fairer skintones (like my own). I take a large fluffy brush (ELF's Mini Kabuki or Walmart's "High Definition" Face Powder Brush are two inexpensive options) -lightly swirl the brush around on the blush, dab it on the back of my hand first, apply on the apples of my cheeks then blend back and slightly upwards from there.
It is easy for me to get "clown cheeks" from this blush if I'm not careful.. (not a good look lol) If I use a brush that's too dense/picks up too much product, if I don't dab it on the back of my hand first, or if I don't blend it out well that can happen.. BUT, after a lot of trial&error I've figured out how to fix it if I've applied too much. If I look in the mirror & think: "EEK! I've applied wayy too much blush!!" I can just take a clean/different blush brush (not the one I just applied it with, usually a more dense brush) then blend blend blend. After that, take a large cotton ball and lightly rub or dab it on the areas where there is too much blush &Viola!!
Luckily I haven't had to use the "cotton ball method" in quite a while as a lot of practice has gotten me pretty good with applying this but in a pinch, the cotton ball thing WORKS ;)
Since this is a "bolder" blush, I like it best for just using on the apples of my cheeks paired with a contour powder. First I'll apply L'Oreal True Match Pressed Powder in C7/Nut Brown in a "contouring" manner (on/under the cheekbone & blended inwards). &That simply adds a little definition to my face and some color. Then, Heather Silk is one of my favorite blushes to use/pair with it. It meshes very well with that "Nut Brown" shade that I use for contouring & gives me face an awake, sculpted, and natural look (I'm very into "natural" cheeks - I like to wear strong eye makeup most days so I can't go over the top with cheeks. The above method works great for me)
Of course I've also used it many many times without pairing it with a contour powder, that has just become my favorite way of wearing it so I wanted to share :)
As I said above, I have oily & acne/clog-prone skin and this blush does NOT fade away or start to look "patchy" after several hours of wear (like many blushes do on oily skin) And it also hasn't given me any issues with breakouts/clogged pores (Yay!)

Price/Availability - The WnW powder blushes are priced between $2.99 - $3.99 at my local stores. But CVS, Walgreens, & RiteAid VERY often put WnW products on sale/clearance making these blushes even more inexpensive! (For example all WnW was 40% off at my RiteAid last wk.- I stocked up on Silk Finish lipsticks lol ;D) If you check your local weekly "flyers" or their websites before making a shopping trip you can easily find out which place will have them for the least amt. of money :)
In my area (southwestern PA, USA) Wet 'n Wild is available at all CVS stores, all Walgreens', all RiteAid's, one of my KMart stores, and at one of my three local WalMarts.
Now onto the packaging.. well.. it's kinda meh. I rated "Packaging Quality" a 2 simply because these blushes are very fragile (just like WnW's eye shadows!) so I feel like they should come in a more sturdy compact.. The "old" WnW Silk Finish Blushes came in square, silver compacts with a little clear window on the front to see the shade. But more recently they've repackaged them in rectangular black compacts with completely clear lids. I like the way the compacts LOOK, I just don't like that they're not as sturdy.. (My "Mellow Wine" blush from this line got broken in my purse, so be careful if you take any of these traveling!)
The brush that comes with is pretty terrible though.. Not THE most terrible brush that I've seen included with a drugstore blush, but not ideal for even application. I do imagine it'd work in a pinch, if you just needed to dab a little on your cheeks then could blend with your fingers maybe? But overall I'd recommend investing in a better brush for a blush like this. There are inexpensive ones that will do a nice job (like several between $1-$3 from ELF, or WalMart's HD face brushes which are approx $7 - both mentioned above) :)

Overall, WnW has truly stepped up their game over the past several years! I remember as a teenager going m/u shopping with my girlfriends at the drugstores, we never even looked in the direction of WnW. These days the WnW display is the first thing I wana check out! ;)
All of their blushes are great, but Heather Silk gets 5 well deserved lippies from me =)

9 out of 9 people found this review helpful. Did you? Yes No